That’s quite a mouthful up there, eh? But I couldn’t leave anything out. I needed you to know just exactly every flavor that went into this delicious squash. Trust me. It deserves the attention.

This isn’t your typical, boring baked acorn squash. It is bursting with sweet flavor and spicy nutmeg – it could even be used as a dessert!

I know what you’re thinking. Since when does this blog tout a vegetable as a dessert?

Well friends, when you load enough butter and sugar onto something, anything can become a dessert. Plus, it’s not these veggies that I dislike. It’s those gross, fibrous tree-like ones such as broccoli. Squash falls into the potato category in my eyes.

This recipe below is for one acorn squash, but you could use the same amount for two or three, and just leave out the butter-filled swimming pool in the middle.

Why on earth anyone would want to do that is beyond me, but it can be done. I, on the other hand, will be bathing in the butter pool.

Vanilla Bourbon Baked Balsamic Acorn Squash

1 acorn squash

1/3 cup maple syrup

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used vanilla bean)

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons bourbon

2 tablespoons butter

few pinches of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375.

In a bowl, mix syrup, vinegar, lemon juice, vanilla and bourbon together. Cup acorn squash in half and brush mixture on top with a pastry brush. Set squash cut side up in a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and brush mixture over squash again. Pour remaining mixture into each squash cavity equally. Top with 1 tablespoon butter each and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Bake for 20 more minutes.

Note: If you want to try some vanilla bean vinegar, click here and use coupon code howsweet10 for a discount on your order!

I may start adding this glaze to all my vegetables. I’m sure it’s the “bourbon” part that helps it go down the pipe.

70 Responses to “Vanilla Bourbon Baked Balsamic Acorn Squash.”

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 11, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

What a perfect way to prepare squash… That is the way I like to eat my veggies! :)

Nicole, RD — October 11, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

All that yumminess makes squash all the more amazing! I love acorn squash all fancied up!

Baking Serendipity — October 11, 2010 @ 8:21 pm

I can’t believe that I’ve never had squash before. Maybe it’s because it’s never been made up like this in my life yet :) PS, Happy Anniversary! I celebrated my two year wedding anniversary this past weekend…I bet we were married on or close to the same day!

Beth @ bethcooks — October 12, 2010 @ 8:48 am

Haha. I hadn’t seen this until today, but made something so similar last night. Even had a little butter floating in the center too! Funny…

Moni'sMeals — October 12, 2010 @ 12:47 pm

you are speaking my language. Brillant Jessica!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — October 12, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

You had me at bourbon…

Pure2raw twins — October 12, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

You are amazing!!! I have to make this!

Lauren — October 12, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

I totally have an acorn squash, and this sounds fantastic!

Jennifer — October 14, 2010 @ 9:07 am

That’s the best lookin acorn squash I’ve seen in a long time. Yum!

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 29, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Right up my Ally! This looks and sounds so good!!!!

Tara Connor — November 3, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it is hard as a rock after 50 minutes….is it supposed to be hard?

• Jessica — November 3rd, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

Nooo, definitely not! You cut it in half right? Have you checked the temperature of your oven with a thermometer? It could be the temp of the oven or maybe you just got a REALLY fibrous/larger squash that needs to be cooked longer?

suezkitchen — November 7, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

This would make a great Thanksgiving recipe! I like sweet potatoes but my husband hates them. A little bourbon with his squash might just work!

Ellen — October 12, 2014 @ 8:24 pm

It was really good, but I found the balsamic vinegar a little too much flavor wise. It added more acidity than I like, so next time I’ll probably forego it all together. I added vanilla bean paste instead of just plain old extract and it gave it a heavenly vanilla flavor. Not to mention how incredible my house smelled while it baked! Great recipe, and I’ll definitely make it again!

1. Pingback: Calories Blog » Blog Archive » 59 Cheap Thanksgiving Recipes That Are Also, Coincidentally, 59 Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes

2. Pingback: A Fun Foodie Gift | How Sweet It Is