Yesterday I got an intense craving for tortilla soup. It was my first attempt at making it, and to ensure that it would be delicious, I added a big spoonful of sour cream. Because cream makes everything better.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

Last night Mr. How Sweet asked me if this was made with low-fat heavy cream. Oxymoron, much?
Tortilla soup is one of my all-time favorite soups. It’s warm with a kick, and topped with melty cheese and crispy tortilla strips. It’s tastes like an enchilada in a bowl.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

Do you know who else loved tortilla soup? Mother Lovett.

Except she called it “tor-rillo” soup, pronounced exactly as it’s spelled. As in, “ehh… are you going to the store? Get me some of that torrillo soup. Put it in a big white hickey, not a little one.”

For the record, said “hickey” was a plastic container from the hot bar.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

I like to throw a few tortilla strips into each bowl of soup, as well as garnish it with toasted whole wheat tortillas. It’s easier, healthier, and quicker than frying tortillas. And it is still delicious. It adds a crispy, crunchy texture that is mandatory for my soup sanity.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

The best part about this soup? It was fast and simple.

Everything went into one pot and was done within 30 minutes. Just like the chicken chickpea soup! I considered adding blacks beans to this dish, but I didn’t think Mr. How Sweet would want to ride that train. It certainly didn’t taste like it was only simmered for 30 minutes- the flavors were quite complex and layered. Next time I’m throwing in the beans.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

I wonder what it means when you eat more toppings than soup. Or when you continually pile on toppings until you are finishing slurping up broth.
I’m sure my jeans will tell me this afternoon after I’m forced to paint them on.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

Perfect for a soup-er chilly, snowy day!

Har har.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock

4 ounce can of green chilis

1/3 cup red enchilada sauce

1/4 cup sour cream
for garnish:

whole wheat tortillas/tortilla strips, toasted in the oven

sour cream or greek yogurt

shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese

avocado

lime slices

fresh cilantro
In a large pot add olive oil and heat on medium heat. Add onion and pepper and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sprinkle in cumin and cayenne and stir. If using chicken, cut into small chunks, season with salt and pepper, and add to onions and peppers. Brown on each side, about 8 minutes total. You can also use pre-cooked, shredded chicken and add it in at this time, just proceed to the next step.

Pour in chicken stock, chilis and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 30 minutes (or longer if you want). Right before serving, stir in sour cream. Serve with tortilla strips, avocado, cheese, sour cream and lime.
Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

Craving kicked.

124 Responses to “Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup.”

Sam — December 7, 2010 @ 11:03 pm

beautiful pictures!! especially the ones where you actually got the steam coming off. (!)

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 11:04 pm

Thank you! :)

Ellen@FirednFabulous — December 7, 2010 @ 11:52 pm

This sounds so delicious, and it LOOKS so pretty and profesh! :)

Baking Serendipity — December 8, 2010 @ 1:27 am

It really isn’t cold here in Phoenix, but that doesn’t stop me from craving a bowl full of this! Tortilla soup is one of my favorites too and yours looks fantastic :)

the blissful baker — December 8, 2010 @ 2:28 am

YUM! i’m totally a topping person too!

sobrina — December 8, 2010 @ 4:56 am

You and your blog are so cute! I can’t stop reading! Did you already share details about the magazine article you wrote — did I miss that? I want to read the article :)

antwerpster — December 8, 2010 @ 8:53 am

I’m from Texas and I know my tortilla soup. This looks AMAZING. I’m far from home now, but I think I know exactly what to make this cold weekend when Texas’s warmer climate calls to me…

Wei-Wei — December 8, 2010 @ 9:10 am

Last night, I made dinner for myself. I heated up leftover minestrone and added some rice, a hardboiled egg, parmesan cheese, and taco seasoning. Closest thing I could get to having mexican at that time of evening.

….My mom said it looked like pig feed -.-

Carol Adams — December 8, 2010 @ 11:46 am

Yummy! This is pretty darn healthy if u go light on
    the fixins.
    Love Mother Lovett stories, too!
    Correct me here but to pronounce Tortilla like it sounds would be tor-tilla instead of tor-illa, yes?
    I think loads of people do that to Spanish words…
    Like for Chahuahua: cha-who-a-who-a… That one always cracks me up!

• Jessica — December 8th, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Yes, you are right! But she pronounced it like how I spelled it up there, “torillo.” She basically left out the “t” in tortilla.

• Carol Adams — December 8th, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

Cute, gotta love Lovett!!!

Alanna — December 8, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

“Hickey” — that would be short for doo-hickey, yes? My grandmom had a cupboardful for those! Your soup looks lovely – not sure I’ve ever thought to make it but now, NOW, it’s what I want NOW. Thanks for the inspiration …

Tracy — December 8, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

Mmm, I love tortilla soup! I’ll have to give yours a try!

Caitlin — December 8, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Tortilla soup is, with out a doubt, on my top five list of favorite soups. This looks wonderfully flavorful! And fantastic photos, too!

Amanda — December 8, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

I’m so happy I saw this today! I’m having some girlfriends over on Friday and wanted to do a simple, small dinner…a tortilla soup “bar”. Thank you so much! Now I don’t have to go home and dig through my cookbooks.

• Jessica — December 8th, 2010 @ 9:42 pm

Enjoy!

Allie — December 9, 2010 @ 7:31 am

I’ve been craving Mexican food like crazy lately and this recipe would definitely satisfy it! I love toppings, the best part!

Shannon — December 9, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

Wowza! This excites me. I’ve been craving soup and it’s actually cold here in Nashville! Definitely soup weather. Can’t wait to make this weekend.

Beth H. — December 12, 2010 @ 6:04 am

Just made this and it’s great! This was my second time making soup. (i know, i’m a soup slacker) I did add some black beans to it and i think i may through some rice in there next time as well.

My Husby and i really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing! :)

Rachel Wilkerson — December 12, 2010 @ 9:43 pm

YUM! That looks fantastic — definitely making it ASAP!

Stacy — December 14, 2010 @ 2:28 am

We had this for dinner tonight, it was fab!
    I added cilantro in with the chicken (b/c I love cilantro!) and added a can of black beans. Topped with cheese and sour cream. I added broken tortilla chips to mine. So good, I can’t wait to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 2:31 am

So glad you liked it!

Fallon — December 27, 2010 @ 12:27 pm

This looks wonderful.. and really simple!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — January 2, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

This soup is just packed with amazing flavours!

Jenny — January 2, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

Made this soup with left over roasted chicken thighs that I shredded. Wow! What an awesome simpe recipe!!!

cindy — January 3, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

Hi – I saw this soup post on the 7th and fro some reason decided not to print out the recipe…….but I just could not get the pictures of this soup out of my head and came back a few days later to get the recipe. I have been dying to make it ever since. I made it last night and had a bowl for lunch today – OMG, this is fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing ….this is now one of my most favorite soup recipes. Very simple and packed with yummy flavors. You rock :)

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

I am so glad you like it! :)

Jeanette — February 9, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

Gorgeous soup! I love tortilla soup, especially with all the toppings.

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 12, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

This tortilla soup looks great! Love the photo with all the toppings!

Angie — April 10, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

*Drool*

“Because cream makes everything better.” It’s like you know the way to my heart… LOVING your blog!!

Tanvee — October 11, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

I made this soup on the weekend and it was deeeeelish. Thank you for the recipe, it was super simple to make!

Lydia — December 5, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

I made this soup on Saturday afternoon and there couldn’t have been a more perfect soup for the chilly weather outside. My boyfriend loved it and even called it “the best soup he’s ever had”. I was a proud girlfriend, it was hard to convince him that soup was on the menu for dinner. He continued to eat the rest of the pot all weekend and constantly remind me that it was the best soup he’s ever had. I think a ring may be on the way now. THANK YOU!

megan — January 23, 2012 @ 12:45 am

made this today, browned the chicken first with the onion and red pepper then dumped everything into the crock pot! i added the whole can of enchilada sauce (10 oz) and a jalapeno. i also roasted my own anaheim chiles. altogether, a raving success! my boyfriend and i loved the flavors and the spice, which probably had a lot to do with the jalapeno. unfortunately, i toasted the tortilla strips a bit too long, so we just had cheese and sour cream for garnish. i loved the flavor the lime added!

i have started reading your blog almost every day and have made a few recipes, all of which have turned out well. love love love your writing and recipes!

Leslie — June 5, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

I LOVE your blog… and I just made this yesterday as it’s been a chilly week in Boston. I like things with lots of kick so I added some chilli powder and hot sauce… oh and I put the beans in it. YUM!

Ash-Leigh — July 8, 2012 @ 4:52 am

I’m making this for my boyfriend tomorrow, along with the Loaded Veggie Enchiladas, and some Turtle Bread. :D

patricia kertson — October 2, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

I used pre made fresh pico de gallo from HEB in Austin,TX instead of the red pepper and onion and added a cup of frozen corn kernals.

Tandy Kuehn — April 26, 2013 @ 12:33 am

Enchiladas originated in Mexico, where the practice of rolling tortillas around other food dates back at least to Mayan times.The people living in the lake region of the Valley of Mexico traditionally ate corn tortillas folded or rolled around small fish….

Our own blog
    <a href="http://www.caramoanpackage.com/caramoan-tour-package

Amaris — July 24, 2014 @ 11:31 pm

BEST SOUP EVER!!!! I make it all the time and everyone loves it! Thanks!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Eat on the Run » Blog Archive » De-stress

3. Pingback: Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup « Healthy Food For Living

4. Pingback: The Top 10 Delicious Dinner Ideas in 2010. | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Cooking Up A Storm | Mugs & Pugs

6. Pingback: Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: New Recipe #4 | Counting My Blessings

8. Pingback: YUM ALERT: Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup | The Luxury Spot

9. Pingback: Baked Potato Nachos | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Chicken Tortilla Soup | Christina's Recipe Box

11. Pingback: Southwest Chicken Soup « Every Craving

12. Pingback: 135 Recipes for Football Season | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Coconut Creamsicle Margaritas | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Amy and the Great World

15. Pingback: One-Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup | A Social Worker's Personal Culinary Therapy...

16. Pingback: 39 Delicious One Dish Dinners