Yesterday I got an intense craving for tortilla soup. It was my first attempt at making it, and to ensure that it would be delicious, I added a big spoonful of sour cream. Because cream makes everything better.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

Last night Mr. How Sweet asked me if this was made with low-fat heavy cream. Oxymoron, much?
Tortilla soup is one of my all-time favorite soups. It’s warm with a kick, and topped with melty cheese and crispy tortilla strips. It’s tastes like an enchilada in a bowl.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

Do you know who else loved tortilla soup? Mother Lovett.

Except she called it “tor-rillo” soup, pronounced exactly as it’s spelled. As in, “ehh… are you going to the store? Get me some of that torrillo soup. Put it in a big white hickey, not a little one.”

For the record, said “hickey” was a plastic container from the hot bar.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

I like to throw a few tortilla strips into each bowl of soup, as well as garnish it with toasted whole wheat tortillas. It’s easier, healthier, and quicker than frying tortillas. And it is still delicious. It adds a crispy, crunchy texture that is mandatory for my soup sanity.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

The best part about this soup? It was fast and simple.

Everything went into one pot and was done within 30 minutes. Just like the chicken chickpea soup! I considered adding blacks beans to this dish, but I didn’t think Mr. How Sweet would want to ride that train. It certainly didn’t taste like it was only simmered for 30 minutes- the flavors were quite complex and layered. Next time I’m throwing in the beans.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

I wonder what it means when you eat more toppings than soup. Or when you continually pile on toppings until you are finishing slurping up broth.
I’m sure my jeans will tell me this afternoon after I’m forced to paint them on.

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

Perfect for a soup-er chilly, snowy day!

Har har.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock

4 ounce can of green chilis

1/3 cup red enchilada sauce

1/4 cup sour cream
for garnish:

whole wheat tortillas/tortilla strips, toasted in the oven

sour cream or greek yogurt

shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese

avocado

lime slices

fresh cilantro
In a large pot add olive oil and heat on medium heat. Add onion and pepper and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sprinkle in cumin and cayenne and stir. If using chicken, cut into small chunks, season with salt and pepper, and add to onions and peppers. Brown on each side, about 8 minutes total. You can also use pre-cooked, shredded chicken and add it in at this time, just proceed to the next step.

Pour in chicken stock, chilis and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 30 minutes (or longer if you want). Right before serving, stir in sour cream. Serve with tortilla strips, avocado, cheese, sour cream and lime.
Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup I howsweeteats.com

Craving kicked.

123 Responses to “Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup.”

Katrina — December 7, 2010 @ 11:59 am

This soup looks sooooo good! I’m always looking for a new recipe to warm me up during these cold days in Ottawa. Burrrr!!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — December 7, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Low fat heavy cream!? HA! This looks delicious…perfect for this absolutely freezing weather…!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — December 7, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

I love making soup for these cold winter days and I have no idea why I haven’t tried this one yet. Where did you get enchilada sauce? I can never find it at my food store.

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

Really?? Just at my local grocery store near all the taco seasonings/sauces!

• Megan (Braise The Roof) — December 7th, 2010 @ 8:09 pm

Trader Joe’s has it. Or check the ethnic foods aisle of your local grocery store.

Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes — December 7, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

Looks like we’re all into soup today! :) (….um…maybe because it’s…winter?maybe?) This looks gorgeous. Your pictures make my belly grumble… True fact. I want some of this soon! With black beans and loads of toppings, please. I think I must make this for supper, in fact!
    love,
    cathy b. @ brightbakes

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 7, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

The best thing about soup is the only way your jeans won’t fit you is because the sodium is out the roof – but it looks like you combatted that. MORE ROOM FOR TOPPINGS!!!!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — December 7, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

I think Chicken Tortilla might be my favorite soup of all time! I order it all the time! :-)

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 12:21 pm

Me too!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 7, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

We love tortilla soup!

Love your bowl + spoon set! So cute!

Erica — December 7, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

hahaha- your Mother Lovett stories crack me up :) The soup looks awesome. Especially with the delicious toppings. I heart sour cream. And now I want this soup

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — December 7, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Your recipes just keep getting better and better. And everything about How Sweet does! I just wanted you to know your efforts do not go unnoticed. :)

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

Thanks Tina!

Courtney — December 7, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

Wow, all I need is some snow on the ground and this soup in my kitchen simmering! Yum.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — December 7, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

I’ll take a big ole bowl please…hold the chicken. ;-)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 7, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

Mmmm, the best thing about tortilla soup is definitely all the toppings.

Suzanne @ Window On The Prairie — December 7, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

One pot meals are the best. Fewer dishes. :) Suzanne

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — December 7, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

This looks so good! I love the bowl too! Beautiful shots!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — December 7, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

Mmm tortilla soup is probably my favorite :) Yours looks delicious!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — December 7, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

i love making soup but have never made tortilla soup… now i will!

Healthy Chocoholic — December 7, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

That soup looks sooooo wonderful!!!! Chicken Tortilla happens to be one of my favorites. Have you ever been to McAlister’s Deli? They make a cheesy chicken tortilla soup, in which a cup of cheddar cheese is thrown into the soup as its simmering!!!! Then, they serve it with tortilla strips on top, and I get it in a bread bowl! =D yummy!!!

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

I never have been there, but now I would like that for breakfast please.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — December 7, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

Jessica, I just made this last week! Going to post this week, but your pics blow mine out of the water!

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

I highly doubt that girl! Post it!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — December 7, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

ok I just bookmarked this and acutally want to make it tonight!!! I need to find enchilida sauce…is it really spicy?? YUM JESS and I love that bowl that you served it in….I want it! it reminds me of a french onion soup bowl!! (which I love too!)

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Nope it is not spicy! I get the mild kind.

Chrissy — December 7, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

I make mine in the crockpot with chicken, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and green chiles, chicken broth, corn, kidney beans, black beans, and taco seasoning. Then I shred the chicken at the end.

My grandma says hickey too, but she’s usually referring to the remote control.

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

Ack! You just reminded me that I forgot to list the chilis in the recipe. The make the soup! And I was wondering how it tasted in the crockpot. Will definitely try that next time!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 7, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

I LOVE your photos today lady!! This looks fabulous! I’m all about soup this week since we started getting so much snow and made 2 on the weekend. This one is on the list! :)

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

Thanks so much Angela!

Lauren — December 7, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

Awesome recipe. Definitely bookmarked!

When it comes to enchiladas, burritos, tacos, and the like, I typically keep most of the fixin’s on the table… to add as we eat. So I too probably end up eating more toppings than the actual main meal ;).

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

I like to do that too. :)

SheFit — December 7, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

I love tortilla soup! I’m definitely giving this a try once school is out!

Melissa @ "EatontheRun" — December 7, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

I need to make this! Looks soooo yummy :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 7, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

ok the fact that she called it a hickey is priceless…i love her!

Karly — December 7, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

I’m a big topping kinda girl, too. Especially with the avocado…there must be lots of avocado atop my bowl of “torrillo” soup. Haha! :)

Cheryl — December 7, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

I’m glad you explained what a hickey is:)

Love the recipe, and love that it uses ingredients we are likely to already have!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — December 7, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

I used to go to TGIFridays with Scott like 10 years ago and eat their tortilla soup in the fall while he watched football. This is back in the day where i would “humor him” and try to show support and go with. Now, I skip the football and unfortunately tortilla soup is but a distant memory.

Hope you’re doing great :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — December 7, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

oh my gosh, the word “hickey” just takes me back. My grandmother says that all the time! It can refer to pretty much anything. Thanks for making me smile :)

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

Same here… she used that word for EVERYTHING.

Biz — December 7, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

My hubs would have poo pooed the black beans too – I would have added them to my bowl though! :D

I can eat soup every day and never get sick of it – putting this on my list of things to make for my lunches. :D

Camille — December 7, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

Oooh, I loove tortilla soup! I haven’t had any in forever! I am a huge fan of the fact that this recipe seems like it would be super easy to make vegetarian!

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

Definitely is!

jenna — December 7, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

yummy! this looks so good! I love your bowl and spoon to pieces!! I’m sort of obessessed with spoons! weird, i know!

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

Thanks! Not weird – I’m obsessed with them too. I got this at Kohl’s!

Amy @ whatjewwannaeat — December 7, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

Yes I am making this asap! Since I have moved to Texas, tortilla soup is literally on every menu. I have never been happier. But nothing beats homemade.

Moni'sMeals — December 7, 2010 @ 4:27 pm

the title says it all!

I love your tortilla strips and this looks easy and delicious. :)

Ashley — December 7, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

Yum! My version is pretty similar to this except I add black beans (gotta sneak in healthy stuff whenever possible so H will eat it), corn, and diced tomatoes in lieu of enchilada sauce since enchilada sauce is tough to find where I live. Awesome comfort food!

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

I love the addition of corn. That sounds great.

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious — December 7, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

this looks sooooo yummy! great photos to.

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life — December 7, 2010 @ 6:29 pm

The tortilla soup recipe looks SOOOOOOO good! I must make this recipe in the next few days! The husband has been craving tortilla soup for a few weeks now and I have been putting off making it! : )

Alicia — December 7, 2010 @ 6:29 pm

This looks sooo delicious!! Your too cute – more toppings than soup is always just fine in my books!! Love your site =)

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

Thank you!

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — December 7, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

ok ok ya got me. i’ll stop blogging and go make soup =)

xoXOxo

Blond Duck — December 7, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

I love tortilla soup, and I love that you use enchilada sauce. I never thought of that!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — December 7, 2010 @ 7:51 pm

Tortilla soup is one of my favorite soups! I too like to throw toasted tortilla strips in it–the extra crunch really adds to it!

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

They make it!

Nicole, RD — December 7, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

GORGEOUS photos, Jessica! I love, love, love tortilla soup and I love that this recipe has enchilada sauce. I bet that adds a ton of flavor!

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

Thanks – It does!

Tricia @{every}nothing wonderful — December 7, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

I love Tortilla Soup. We just made some the other day but I couldn’t help but think “It could be better”. I can’t wait to try your version!

Kelly Lilley — December 7, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

I love your blog and your pictures! So great! The soup looks awesome.

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 10:08 pm

Thanks so much!

Liesal — December 7, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

Yum yum! This looks delicious! I’ve been craving soup lately, and this looks like it’ll hit the spot!

Annette — December 7, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

Yumm! I love tortilla soup, too :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables — December 7, 2010 @ 9:51 pm

Yum! I want to try this with vegetable broth and chickpeas instead of chicken!

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 10:06 pm

I think it would be delish!

Maria — December 7, 2010 @ 10:48 pm

I want this for dinner!!!

Low — December 7, 2010 @ 10:53 pm

That looks great! I love anything that doesn’t require lots of dishes.

EatLiveRun — December 7, 2010 @ 10:57 pm

low fat heavy cream is my favorite! ;)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Eat on the Run » Blog Archive » De-stress

3. Pingback: Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup « Healthy Food For Living

4. Pingback: The Top 10 Delicious Dinner Ideas in 2010. | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Cooking Up A Storm | Mugs & Pugs

6. Pingback: Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: New Recipe #4 | Counting My Blessings

8. Pingback: YUM ALERT: Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup | The Luxury Spot

9. Pingback: Baked Potato Nachos | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Chicken Tortilla Soup | Christina's Recipe Box

11. Pingback: Southwest Chicken Soup « Every Craving

12. Pingback: 135 Recipes for Football Season | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Coconut Creamsicle Margaritas | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Amy and the Great World

15. Pingback: One-Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup | A Social Worker's Personal Culinary Therapy...

16. Pingback: 39 Delicious One Dish Dinners