Overworked.

I can’t even begin to describe the state of my kitchen the last 2 days. Or the state of my mixer.

I am never, ever, ever going to get that thing clean.

This morning, it looked like this outside.

What better to do all day than stay indoors and bake?

All of that butter went to good use yesterday – between that and this morning I ended up with nearly 10 bowls of cookie dough in the beer fridge.

My stand mixer has been worked to the bone.

[stuffed much?]

[i sort of ran out of bowls to fit the dough in]

[25lbs. serious business.]

[you know things get serious when one breaks out the shortening]

[i think i inhaled a bit too much cocoa powder. really.]

[save me]

Dough overload. There is even cookie dough on the ceiling. I can’t reach it.

I broke around noon to head out and shovel the driveway. I left the kitchen in disarray because, well… I’m lazy and will do anything to avoid cleaning it.

I stuffed my yoga pants into these socks and threw on some earmuffs.

The neighbors think I’m the epitome of a fashionista.

Fueled by flour, sugar and raw eggs, I cleared the wrap-around driveway and watched snow pile up on it immediately after I finished a square.

Why do we shovel? It’s like making a bed.

Then I made a sandwich with the last of the leftovers from the meal Mr. How Sweet made. That meal was so delicious that I am still thinking about.

First batch of cookies just went into the oven!

81 Responses to “Overworked.”

VeggieGirl — December 13, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

Hehe, I love your reflection in the mixer :D

Bethany @ More Fruit Please — December 13, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

Oh my! I love your socks and your winter wonderland! Maybe you can pay someone in cookies to clean your kitchen!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — December 13, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

Out of morbid curiosity, I’d be interested in knowing how many pounds of dough were in your fridge an hour ago.

Pixie — December 13, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

I think the rule is that the person who cooks/bakes doesn’t do the cleaning.

Jihane @ Sinful Sundays — December 13, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

I am so jealous of your life with all that cookie dough in it…no fair.

Kacy — December 13, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

Good beer! I love the Honey Weiss!

I can commiserate with the food on the ceiling.

Can’t wait to see the cookies!

stephchows — December 13, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

WOW hahahah that is one gigantic mound of dough!!! impressive!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — December 13, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

What kind of cookies are they and why so many?! ;)

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

Just for Christmas. :)

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves — December 13, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

Such a wonderful day to be baking. I’m sure your house smells wonderful & must feel all cozy. I like the snow footsteps on the driveway. Looks like postcard material to me. That mess would make me freak & just walk away from it. I agree w/ the previous comment: the one who bakes/cooks shouldn’t be the one to clean up!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — December 13, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

Nothing says Christmas to me more than this post.

megan @ whatmegansmaking — December 13, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

You just described my perfect day! And I also buy 25 lbs of flour at a time :)

Maria — December 13, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

Sweet socks!

Jess@atasteofconfidence — December 13, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

Shoveling is just like making the bed- loved that! (although I don’t think my mom would agree).

Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes — December 13, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

our kitchens look pretty similar right now, gotta say! just pulled around 80 gingerbread men outta the oven!
    love,
    cathy b. @ brightbakes

Corey @ the runner's cookie — December 13, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

Oh my goodness – you must own a lot of mixing bowls!! There is no way I could pull that off. Can’t wait to see these cookies!! :) The crisco means serious business.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

Never say never… if you saw the things I have cookie dough stored in right now…

Kristina @ spabettie — December 13, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

my kitchen looked like that all weekend. ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 13, 2010 @ 9:01 pm

OMG you are crazy. i want to jump into that pile of cookie dough…is that weird?

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:14 pm

Yes. You are weird and I love you.

Edward - If You Can Read, You Can Cook — December 13, 2010 @ 9:07 pm

I’m jealous, and not just because of the cookies. DW is going on a low-carb diet so I’ve been banned from making cookies this year. Also jealous of your snow. I’m in Colorado and we haven’t had more than an inch all season! It’s 60 degrees outside now. :(

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

That doesn’t seem right! A lot of people wish it was 60 here but I love the snow.

Tracy — December 13, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

Looks like a lot of fun! Also, where do you get your 25lb bags of flour??

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

Sam’s Club!

Kayla — December 13, 2010 @ 9:10 pm

We really are soulmates… You have plenty of beer from my motherland (Wisconsin) in your fridge. I heart you.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

Back at ya!

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — December 13, 2010 @ 9:14 pm

WOAH! You’ve been as busy as that poor blender! kick your feet up! <3

Cheryl — December 13, 2010 @ 9:19 pm

What kind(s) of cookies are you making?? Do you give them as gifts?

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:40 pm

I’m making the ones on this list: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2010/11/27/holiday-baking-begins/

Not as “gifts” so much, but we always do make a big platter when we go to someone’s house for the holidays!

• Cheryl — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:58 pm

that is quite the list! how is the baking going, and have you eaten all of them?;)

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

Almost… ;)

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — December 13, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

The picture of your kitchen counter reminds me of my own counter on most nights of the week for the past week. Adam jokes that he feels like his second job is following me around the kitchen and wiping up flour, sugar, and random bits of dough :)

Looks like a fun day!

Carrie M — December 13, 2010 @ 9:40 pm

OMG you have a PINK Kitchen Aid? Why oh why did I register for a boring old white one back in 2000?

mags — December 13, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

Cookie dough and beer. I want to live at your house.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

You are welcome here anytime.

Megan — December 13, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

So I was just telling my husband that I had started reading a blog and was surprised to find another woman who has a metro sexual/Nascar Fan husband who buys her designer clothes while maintaining a man cave of collectible crap. And now I find you have a beer fridge. Too weird.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

Hahah – there are only so many of them!

allison @ livingoneday — December 13, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

i cant even tell you how many times in the recent past that ive had to legitimatelly hold down my stand mixer while mixing cookies (and its the professional one where the bowl goes up and down. it should NOT move). its been groaning at me. i cannot wait to see what you come up with!!!! god i would love to bake with you!

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

I know! I’m so jealous of the one you have. Lucky!

Maren — December 13, 2010 @ 9:51 pm

So since you made 80 dozen, this means you’re sending me some right? It’s been so long since I’ve had a cookie, I’m starting to lose weight. Please help me! :) p.s. I’m not really losing weight. haha

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

Hahahah. Sure thing!

Kelly — December 13, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

Love the photo essay. I have the same pink mixer and the same bowls and mine always seems to look that messy too. Perhaps we were separated at birth. :-)

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 10:13 pm

I think we were!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — December 13, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

I love this! I am glad you are happy right now! It is nice to hear such great things are coming from your kitchen and you are enjoying it!

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 10:13 pm

That’s so sweet – thank you!

Healthy chocoholic — December 13, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

Wow!!!!!!! So many cookies…….can’t wait to find out what they all are!!! My favorite thing to do on cold days is to bake!!!! =D

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — December 13, 2010 @ 10:27 pm

Eeeeeee this post made me so excited to go home and bake my life away tomorrow. Can’t freaking wait.

That mountain of cookie dough is next to God, by the way.

Misti — December 13, 2010 @ 10:52 pm

Ahh….We must be sisters from another mother! I love all the cooking and hate all the cleaning. Sadly, I need to clean before I cook. (I know that seems backwards.) Rinse and repeat! ha ha!

So let me ask this…Do you spend a day putting all the dough together and then save it to cook it up fresh?

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 10:56 pm

I sort of did do that – I made dough yesterday and this morning and am baking now. I’ve never done that before but it is what my grandma always did!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — December 13, 2010 @ 11:00 pm

Whew! You’re a madwoman. In a great way, of course. ;)

And I don’t get making the bed either. My version of making the bed is simply pulling the comforter up so its not in a pile.

Leah @ Why Deprive? — December 13, 2010 @ 11:26 pm

Wow!! You’ve been busy!

Shoveling while its snowing is so irritating. All that hard work gets ruined in minutes, but you still have to do it. Ick!

Rachel — December 14, 2010 @ 12:27 am

The mixer clearly couldn’t handle all of the cookie dough and spewed some out and up at the ceiling. How many spoonfuls of dough have you snuck straight from the bowls?

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — December 14, 2010 @ 12:34 am

I love the picture of your reflection in the mixer bowl!! :)

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — December 14, 2010 @ 12:57 am

Oh I bet your house smelled like pure heaven all day. Nom!

Brynne — December 14, 2010 @ 12:59 am

Jealous of your snow and your cookies! And I have those socks – sooo comfy :)

Aimee — December 14, 2010 @ 1:31 am

A fridge just for beer?! ;) In our house that would be a Mountain Dew fridge for my hubby. There is just something about snow that makes baking cookies a must. Did you bake them all?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 14, 2010 @ 1:37 am

There’s nothing like a giant pile of cookie dough to fuel shoveling…

ida — December 14, 2010 @ 1:42 am

Holy cookie dough!! I love your pink mixer. I just have a white one and I feel like it doesn’t nearly enough personality.

Vanessa — December 14, 2010 @ 2:15 am

That is going to be my life on Wednesday!! Hope my Kitchen Aid is ready. But I can’t help but want to eat that mountain of cookie dough…

Cynthia (It All Changes) — December 14, 2010 @ 3:22 am

I love that you just know you will never get your mixer clean. I had that revelation once. I gave up and Hunni tackled it with lemon juice and an old spinning tooth brush.

Alaina — December 14, 2010 @ 3:49 am

I think I have that same bowl that you have chilling in the fridge :-) Baking is the best on a cold, snowy day. Love it!

Have you tried Butter flavored Crisco??

Wei-Wei — December 14, 2010 @ 4:14 am

Are you going to/hosting a party? This is a RIDICULOUS amount of cookies.

Annie — December 14, 2010 @ 4:29 am

That’s my plan for tomorrow. Minus the snow shoveling – it’s 60* in Denver. Crazy. I plan on making ginger-molasses cookies, oatmeal-chocolate chip-coconut cookies, and peppermint bark. Oh, and Mama Peas’ balls. All without an electric mixer. I think I’ll count the mixing as my upper body workout for the day. :)

Joy — December 14, 2010 @ 9:47 am

Love this! ESP the socks

Cindy — December 14, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

I asked for a Kitchen aid pro mixer this year for Christmas…….I premix all of my cookie dough just like you do and I store them in the Take A long containers, the 5.2 cup will usually hold a single batch of cookie dough. I then attach a label to the lid, telling me what to do to the cookies. Roll them in sugar, etc. How long to bake, etc. I put them in the freezer and bake them when I have a day to do that. It is so much easier to bake a batch or two this way. Here’s a link to the take a long containers. I generally buy them at wal mart, but our local one has been out for 2 weeks. I got them at Menards instead: http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=FoodStorage&SubcatId=TakeAlongs&Prod_ID=RP091256

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

Thanks!

Diane — December 14, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

I wish kitchens could somehow clean themselves. Such a boring and mundane task. *sigh*

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Overworked. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com