I know I told you last week that I was obsessed with soup, but I’ve moved on. I’m fickle. I’m dramatic.

This week, I’m wrapped up in risotto.

And this risotto is so delicious, that I wish that was a literal statement.

Let’s talk about texture. There is a ton of texture in this risotto. Texture is imperative for my sanity. And my taste buds. Creamy, crunchy, chewy.

While it is brand new, this is by far one of my favorite combinations. I know… I say that all the time. I just can’t help myself! Trust me. Yep, I say that all the time too. But it’s true. Juicy apples, sweet onions, dry white wine, parmesan cheese… I could go on and on. It’s like all of my favorite things meshed together into one perfect dish. Except I have lots of favorite things.

It kind of looks like oatmeal, doesn’t it? But it is so much better.

And it has cheese. Really, could there be anything more to love?
It is still a savory dish, but the apples pack a sweet punch. I love the apple and cheese combination so it doesn’t get much better for me.

I also think you could successfully add some chicken or even shrimp and get away with a fabulous meal, especially if you have one of those husbands like I do.
I left it as a side dish and had some with my mouth watering roasted chicken.

Apple Risotto with Toasted Pecans

adapted from Sur La Table Things Cooks Love (Risotto with Apples and Hazelnuts)

serves 2-4

1 green apple, cored and chopped

1/2 sweet onion, chopped

2 tablespoons butter

3/4 cup arborio rice

1 1/2 cups white wine

2-3 cups chicken or vegetable stock (or more if needed)

1/3 cup parmesan cheese

1/2 cup pecans, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

chopped parsley to garnish

Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Add apples and onions with a pinch of salt, and saute until soft, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once soft, add the other tablespoon of butter, push the apples and onions to the side, and add rice. Toast rice for about 1 minute, then add wine. Simmer over medium-low heat until rice absorbs wine, then add chicken stock about 1 cup at a time, following the same rule. Stir constantly, making sure nothing is sticking to the bottom. After all the liquid has been added, taste to see if rice is cooked enough for your liking. If not, add more and repeat the process. In the meantime, add the chopped pecans to a small skillet and toast over low heat for about 4-5 minutes, occasionally shaking the pan.

Once rice is finished, stir in most of the pecans, reserving some for garnish. Top with chopped parsley and remaining pecans and serve.

So… who’s coming over for lunch?

100 Responses to “Apple Risotto with Toasted Pecans.”

Amanda — January 24, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

I’m coming over and I think just for fun and as an experiment, we should try adding it some crumbled bacon to the risotto. Just to see if it’s good…I’m betting it would be amazing.

• Jessica — January 24th, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

I think you’re right!

• Nancy @ Sugar Fetish — January 24th, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

Ooooh. A perfectly crisp Applewood smoked bacon!

(…what about baked with brown sugar…?)

jeannette — January 24, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

I was sure that I’d find peanut butter and bacon in this somewhere. Apples and bacon are a good combo yet there are no crispy crunchy chunks of bacon… Are you slacking on me? ;)

• Jessica — January 24th, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

Hahaha I know! Don’t worry… there is some peanut butter coming later this week. ;)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — January 24, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

Mmm apples and onions….one of my favorite combinations! Savory apples are something I feel like we’re just getting back into these days. I know that throughout history savory apples have been an item so it’s nice to see them making a come back.

Mama Pea — January 24, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

Beautiful! And I bet you could sub all sorts of grains…like quinoa or millet. Inspiring as always.

Blond Duck — January 24, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

I’ve never made risotto! I’ve always wanted to, though!

Summer S. — January 24, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

oh em gee. this sounds fabulous! i am the risotto queen and this looks like a great new combination to try out. thanks!

Christina — January 24, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

I looove risotto, it is my recent obsession! I can’t stop carving the lemon risotto I made a few weeks ago.

sheila @ Elements — January 24, 2011 @ 7:45 pm

That sounds wonderful! I’m terribly hungry, and this is making my mouth water!

mary (what's cookin' with mary) — January 24, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

ME !!

That looks so creamy and delish. I love the addition of apples and nuts. YUM

Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen — January 24, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

This flavor combination sounds amazing. WHy is it that apples go so well with cheese? I’ve got a plan to make some acorn squash risotto this week, I’m pumped.

Tracy — January 24, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

I really must deviate from my normal savory risottos and try a sweet version like this. Yum!

Moni'sMeals — January 24, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

what!? this is crazy clever! yum. :)

Lisa@ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — January 24, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

In my best Janice voice:

“Oh my gawd! I am!”

andrea — January 24, 2011 @ 11:06 pm

you’re hilarious! i found your blog from another blog i read, i’m not sure which one, maybe oh she glows? anyways, i love your humorous approach and i definitely love your recipes. thanks for sharing!

ashley@quasichick — January 25, 2011 @ 12:28 am

That looks absolutely delicious..When is your cookbook coming out? Geesh you come up with some kick butt recipes!

Imwaytoobusy — January 25, 2011 @ 1:31 am

I just saw this video on Iowa Girl Eats and thought of you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2uPdxUPnXU … not sure why ;)

Katie@Cozydelicious — January 25, 2011 @ 1:31 am

I thought I had made every possible kind of risotto, but apple I have never tried! It sounds wonderful! I have lately been making risotto with whole grains – barley or farro usually. And I actually like it even more than the rice, it has more bite. I think apple barley risotto with nuts would be fantastic!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — January 25, 2011 @ 1:32 am

This is perfect for a winter dinner!

Heather — January 25, 2011 @ 3:02 am

I’ve only made one risotto and it was just “ok”…definitely not worth the arm workout that it takes to build up that creamy consistency, but I was watching an old episode of Everyday Italian on the Food Network yesterday and Giada was making a delicious looking risotto and I felt like trying it out again. I’m definitely starting with this recipe! I LOVE apples and cheese together and pecans are my absolute fave!

Amy @DYKTMP? — January 25, 2011 @ 5:55 am

I swear every single site I go to comment on you are the very first commenter! I’m so impressed! Hehe Anyways had a question for you. I really like the comments model you use. Do you have a link or css for it? The reply and the pictures are something I’m lacking. If you could give me a tip I’d really appreciate. Feel free to email if you think that makes more sense than a Reply.

p.s. I think you share the same intense love for bacon that I do. I like that.

Jennifer (Delicieux) — January 25, 2011 @ 7:52 am

I love risotto, but would never have thought of making an apple risotto. I love it though, very inventive and it looks so delicious!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — January 25, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

I LOVE risotto. What an incredible idea to add apples and pecans, pure genius! I would glady eat that whole dish of risotto for you. :)

Sommer J — January 25, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

Looks phenomenal. Definitely some of my favorite flavors!!

a frog in the cottage — February 1, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

apple & cheese go so well together !! it is a very creative idea, i love it !!

Jade — February 16, 2011 @ 2:37 am

This risotto was delicious! The only thing is that there was no instruction to add the Parm. Did I miss that? Beautiful pics, too!

• Charlene — July 18th, 2012 @ 1:44 am

Hahah I noticed this too! It’s not mentioned in the instructions, but I made a conservative guess that Parm should be added with the pecans while the rice is warm to melt everything together.

Renee — November 13, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

I added this (and other recipes I found on your fabulous site) to my Pinterest boards. I think this would be a fantastic side dish for Thanksgiving! Found you originally through Food Gawker.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Lisa Kirkman — November 20, 2012 @ 3:30 am

This my first time making risotto and I was pleasantly surprised hoe nicely it came together. I do not Carr for onions and simply skipped them. I think it had an effect because I thought the dish had too much wine taste in it. I used $5 bottle of chardonnay so maybe the cheapness was a factor. Anyway, when I set it on the table at Thanksgiving, I will use just a cup of wine, still no onions. Thanks for a straightforward and yummy recipe. Please let me know if you think the wine/onion dynamic could be the issue.

Alex — December 13, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

Definitely making this right now and drinking some of the leftover wine. Best way to make dinner!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Apple Risotto with Toasted Pecans | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Puppy Love « Banksyface