2011 has been all about stepping outside the box.

I’ve made risotto with fruit, homemade naan, bacon granola bars, chocolate chip cookie dough stuffed cinnamon rolls, plus a slew of other recipes I probably wouldn’t have attempted if it wasn’t for this site.  I even roasted a chicken. And I definitely didn’t think I’d ever find myself making homemade fruit leather.

But since I would single-handedly devour a 12-pack of fruit roll-ups as a kid, I knew it had to be done. I think my roommate and I even had a 48-pack of fruit roll-ups in college… that lasted a week, maybe? Oops. And we all know how much I love my fruit leather from Trader Joe’s.

The thing about fruit leather is that it is incredibly easy! Much simple than I ever thought.

And it only contains four ingredients. Yes… four. It doesn’t get much simpler than that.

Head on over to the Tasty Kitchen blog to get the step-by-step recipe. This is so delicious that we devoured it in one day!

59 Responses to “Homemade Fruit Leather.”

VeggieGirl — March 19, 2011 @ 9:14 am

What a fun homemade version of a classic childhood snack!

Heather — March 19, 2011 @ 9:16 am

You have inspired me to try this! Heading over to TK now to get the specifics.

Andrea — March 19, 2011 @ 9:20 am

I’m so glad you tried it! It <3 fruit leathers too.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 19, 2011 @ 9:24 am

I didn’t eve know you could make that from scratch!

Melissa — March 19, 2011 @ 9:39 am

These look divine. I got so pissed off when they started putting shapes in fruit roll ups. It totally messed them up. And then when they started making them in blue and green and yellow and then a hybrid of all 3?!?! What were they thinking?!? Way to ruin a perfectly good thing!

Well, now that I’ve got my feathers all ruffled, I’ll pull myself together and make these. I’ll probably have to sit in the corner and eat the whole pan just to recover. But I’m ok with that.

• Jessica — March 19th, 2011 @ 11:52 am

LOL! I totally agree!

Beth — March 19, 2011 @ 9:41 am

My kids may ask you to adopt them soon. They get excited when I tell them a recipe I’m making is from your blog.

• Jessica — March 19th, 2011 @ 11:52 am

Aw!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — March 19, 2011 @ 9:44 am

I always thought I needed a dehydrator (and lots of sugar) to make these. This looks so simple.

Debbie B. (DebaRooRoo) — March 19, 2011 @ 9:48 am

SO cool. This I have to try!!

Stephanie — March 19, 2011 @ 9:48 am

Would this work with Bananas? I am always trying to figure out new ways to use up overripe bananas.

• Jessica — March 19th, 2011 @ 9:55 am

I’m honestly not sure if it would work with bananas… I wouldn’t think so because they brown so easily? But I’m really not sure!

Heather — March 19, 2011 @ 9:52 am

perfection – this is perfection!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — March 19, 2011 @ 9:54 am

When I was little I’d watch that infomercial for a food dehydrator and I wanted one so bad because you could make your own fruit rollups!

What an awesome recipe :)

Luyi — March 19, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Wow, your fruit leathers look absolutely fabulous! The colors are so pretty. Your photography is really gorgeous and the passion that you pour into your cooking and your writing is really inspiring.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — March 19, 2011 @ 10:39 am

I am totally doing this with the kids! What a fun and tasty project!

ellen — March 19, 2011 @ 10:48 am

congrats on being on the FRONT PAGE of TK blog! yayaayay! i was really scared of doing this recipe (that’s why i always ‘buy’ fruitroll ups) but because of you i’m thinking about things like apple leather, and watermelon leather (oh my gosh- in the summer…) congrats + thanks! :D

• Jessica — March 19th, 2011 @ 11:51 am

Watermelon leather?! That sounds incredible. Oh man… I NEED to try that!

Kim in MD — March 19, 2011 @ 10:49 am

You are amazing, Jessica! PW featured your recipe on her blog (the TK link)! These look incredible, and I love that they are all natural!

• Jessica — March 19th, 2011 @ 11:51 am

You are so sweet! Thank you!

Erica — March 19, 2011 @ 10:50 am

What a cool idea! I’m obsessed! These are like the best grown up fruit rollups ever. Bonus- I think kids would love them and they’re not filled with random crap

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 19, 2011 @ 11:00 am

Gorgeous! Love homemade nostalgia!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 19, 2011 @ 11:06 am

That looks awesome! I have been wanting to make homemade fruit leather since I got my dehydrator. Love it!

Elaine — March 19, 2011 @ 11:14 am

I’ve been reading your blog for about 2 days straight now, and I’m hooked. You have such a clear and engaging voice in your writing, it feels like I know you personally. What a lovely personality comes through! Thanks!

• Jessica — March 19th, 2011 @ 11:51 am

Thank you so much Elaine!

Tine — March 19, 2011 @ 11:25 am

I’m a huge fan of fruit rolls.
    A few months ago I found this recipe (check: http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/fruit-rolls/) for fruit rolls, only made with different kinds of fruit. No sugar, no lemon, no water.
    It also is a great recipe!

Katie@Cozydelicious — March 19, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

I’ve always wanted to make my own fruit leather – this looks so yummy! such a treat!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — March 19, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

I used to love fruit roll ups as a kid too. But they always got stuck in my teeth!

Elena — March 19, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

How fun! I was a little confused as to what “fruit leather” was, until I saw that they were also called the all too familiar fruit roll ups. :) Love those things! Good job on tackling what seems like a difficult snack!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — March 19, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

I was addicted to fruit roll ups when I was kid too. These look so good, I’ll have to check out your recipe! :)

The Teenage Taste — March 19, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

Call me crazy, but I never even knew it was possible to make homemade fruit leather! Thanks for sharing! :-)

rebecca lustig — March 19, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

i’ve NEVER seen a homemade fruit leather recipe before! this is fantastic!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 19, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

Great job girl ESPECIALLY b/c you don’t have a dehydrator. That is the one thing that I would say a dehyd rocks for. Fruit leather. And kale chips. Everything else is pretty much just as easy if not easier/and way faster to do in the oven. But i am now sold on fruit leather in the oven!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 19, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

thank you for the link Jess!! omgshh this is soo cool~~I KNOW that it will be fiance-approved haha. He can eat those like there is no TOMORROW. 0_o

MelissaNibbles — March 19, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Wow. I’m very impressed you made this yourself. Is there anything you can’t do?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 19, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Blogs are great for inspiration to try new recipes, have dinner parties etc.. I will never get rid of mine for that reason – it keeps me creative.

Cara Craves... — March 19, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

Impressive!
    I love this idea.
    I used to love having fruit strips in my lunches as a kiddie

kate@ahealthypassion — March 19, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

I have been wanting to make this FOREVER thanks for the reminder and yours looks absolutely delicious!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) — March 19, 2011 @ 11:41 pm

I wonder if you could add chocolate to this ;)

• Sherrie — March 20th, 2011 @ 11:27 am

I’m doubting chocolate would be very good, unless you made banana fruit leather. but I am surprised she didn’t add bacon! ;)

Hannah — March 20, 2011 @ 12:35 am

I mentioned fruit leather to a friend the other week and he laughed at me, having never heard of it. For some reason he thought it was too “hippy”, Silly boy.

Katrina — March 20, 2011 @ 7:14 am

haha I totally agree with you! Having a blog is the perfect excuse to make recipes you never thought you would. I’m so glad you’ve gone wild and having made things like chocolate chip cookie dough stuffed cinnamon rolls! Your recipes make me happy.

Stephanie — March 20, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Thanks for sharing! Those look fantastic…and really, really easy. Hmmmm…I’m thinking about adding some spinach to mine…

Sherrie — March 20, 2011 @ 11:36 am

I made this recipe last night (I meant all day long yesterday), but think I cooked it way too long. Let’s just say I now have fruit brittle! The fruit was still sticky so I put it in for another hour, then another hour, not sure if it’s ever really supposed to dry out. It is really tasty though, and you can just snap off a piece! Now that I’ve read the instructions, I realize I could have brushed on some water to bring it back to life! I made mine with a few handfuls of red grapes and 2 apples, pureed in my vitamix with sugar and lemon juice. Think I’ll try it again today with blueberries and bananas, no bacon. :)

• Jessica — March 20th, 2011 @ 11:59 am

Hi Sherrie! Yes, you definitely need to brush it with water. I brushed it many times. It loosens it right up! Also, did you leave your oven open at all? All ovens truly differ in temperature, and if you set it at 170 and pop it open, it may help too!

Moni'sMeals — March 20, 2011 @ 11:48 am

such a cool idea!

Roz — March 20, 2011 @ 11:55 am

Can’t wait to try these. Thanks for the inspiration!

Baking 'n' Books — March 20, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

This looks awesome! Will check it out.

Maranda — March 20, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

Awesome! I’ve always loved fruit roll-ups and fruit by the foot. I can’t wait to try to make my own fruit leather! Thanks for sharing!

Lele — March 20, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

If I ever have kids I’m totally going to be a nutrition psycho mother. And make homemade fruit leather! And they will complain and ask for fruit roll ups :D

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 20, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

This has to be the most exciting thing tha thappened to me todaaaayyy!!!

givejonadollar — March 21, 2011 @ 3:28 am

Amazingly creative. I might have to give this a whirl. Post saved. Thanks!

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 21, 2011 @ 8:50 am

It has been on my mind lately to try this. We love fruit leather & there is no need to purchase it at the store. So pretty!

Clarissa — March 21, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

So cool! I ate an ice cream flavored Fruit Roll Up this morning… yes, I am an adult and I buy them at the store!

• Clarissa — March 21st, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

But I would LOVE to learn to make my own!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 22, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Oh man I loved fruit roll ups as a kid!

Erin — September 10, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

better than trader joes! so delish!!!

1. Pingback: Weight Loss and Fitness Diet | bfree-dietguide