You can wipe that smirk off your face.

And pick your jaw up off the floor.

No butter. No bacon. No chocolate.

This can’t be fun.

Or can it?

See, I think something is really funny. I can post 5 healthy recipes a week, then post one that is over the top; complete with 3 sticks of butter and a picture that makes your pants button pop. And because of that, this is one indulgent blog.
But the fact is… we eat a bunch of healthy stuff in this house. Sure, sometimes it tastes disgusting. Um… broccoli? Gag me.

But other times it tastes amazing. Sort of like this quinoa dish.
Roasting garlic is one of my favorite things to do. I often send Mr. How Sweet to the store, and he buys garlic in bulk. In case you are curious, garlic in bulk tends to mean 15 heads at once. What is one to do? Roast it of course. All of it. At once. It’s sweet. It’s salty. It’s buttery.

It completes me.
So yes, when I tell you that quinoa, mushrooms, peppers and garlic can be delicious, listen. I would never lead you astray.

Roasted Garlic, Red Pepper and Mushroom Quinoa

makes about 2 cups

1 head garlic

1 cup of quinoa

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup chopped red pepper

1/2 cup chopped mushrooms

salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop the top off the garlic and peel away the loose outside paper. Drizzle olive oil on cloves, wrap in foil, and roast for 20-30 minutes, or until golden. Let cool.

Cook quinoa according to directions on package. While quinoa is cooking, heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add red pepper and mushrooms and saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. When quinoa is done, fluff with a fork and add peppers and mushrooms. Squeeze the entire head of garlic cloves into the quinoa, mashing some with a fork and leaving others whole. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.

But I might lead you astray tomorrow. From your diet that is.

121 Responses to “Roasted Garlic, Red Pepper and Mushroom Quinoa.”

Heather — January 12, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

I love roasted garlic and am going to make some this weekend to add to a white bean dip.

Your meal looks delicious – I haven’t cooked with quinoa in a while and need to soon.

Chicago Cuisine Critique — January 12, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

Sometimes I feel like you read my mind. Scary. I was just thinking last night about how I wanted to try and make a quinoa dish, but since I have never made it before I was not sure what to do. Leave it to you to give me some inspiration. Sounds delicious!

Jeanette — January 12, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

Yum, love roasted garlic. We must be thinking the same, just made a tomato quinoa soup!

Natalia - a side of simple — January 12, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

Diet? Who said anything about a diet? ;)

Ivy — January 12, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Hmmm… I think it looks delicious (love roasted garlic), but the hubby doesn’t care for red peppers (or green or yellow or orange) and the stepson doesn’t care for peppers or mushrooms. I may make it anyways… mua ha ha ha!!
    (The stepson will have to give it a try, but we let him have a personal pizza if he really doesn’t like the food. The important thing is that he tries different foods)

Paige (running around normal) — January 12, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

I was watching a cooking show this past weekend where the chef roasted garlic – they way she described it – like butter – made me want to get up off the couch, chop some garlic in half and roast the heck out of it. Now this just put me over the edge!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 12, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

I am on a major quinoa kick right now. On Sunday I made a big batch with vegetable broth, lemon juice, basil and feta cheese to have for lunch all week. My husband, who is iffy on quinoa, ate most of it. Had to make another batch last night.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — January 12, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

I really like quinoa and am always looking for new recipes for it. I bought a big bag of it at Costco and need to use it!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — January 12, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

I’ve never made quinoa, but hey, there’s a first time for everything! This looks absolutely delicious, Jessica. Thanks for sharing!

Kacy — January 12, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

That does look amazing! Minus the mushrooms. Can I sub extra cheese for the mushrooms?

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — January 12, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Love quinoa – thanks for this!

Jenna — January 12, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

I saw this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and I just had to pop over to your blog and say: YEEESSSS!! It looks fantastic, amazing, wonderful, and *fill in with 10 synonyms of your choosing.* I can’t wait to make it. I’ve had some quinoa lurking in my pantry for months now, and this is the perfect reminder to use it!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — January 12, 2011 @ 7:07 pm

Yeah Mr. How Sweet! I sent Hunni out for 3 heads of garlic at once before…he brought home Elephant Garlic. We still giggle about the difference and how good it was.

Megan (Braise The Roof) — January 12, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

Jessica, you truly would NEVER lead us astray. I have total faith in your healthy meals. :) I love roasted garlic, too. Roasting it ahead of time is an awesome idea- that way you don’t have to wait for it to cool down when you want to use it. If I had a dollar for every time I got antsy in the pantsy and squeezed out my roasted garlic too soon and burned my fingers…I’d have at least $17.

Sonja — January 12, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

Diet, schmiet… If three sticks of butter is wrong, then I don’t want to be right! ;)

Leandra — January 12, 2011 @ 7:45 pm

Amazing idea!!! I struggle with quinoa…I know its a super food but mine is always flavorless! But this one looks promising.

Jennifer (keepitsimplefoods) — January 12, 2011 @ 7:46 pm

Now you’re speakin’ my language!

Lisa @Thrive Style — January 12, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

That’s just beautiful. I love quinoa and am always looking for new ways to make it. I’m totally sold on this one!

Jess — January 12, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

Oh nice! I’m going to make this tonight and add some roasted tofu as well. I’ll send you my link tomorrow:)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 12, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

Yum… Looks like a tasty dish!

Wendy@Cooking Quinoa — January 12, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

As someone who writes about quinoa all the time, I will have to say that this recipe had me at hello. Roasted garlic on quinoa..yum…. I don’t eat mushrooms (well actually, I LOVE mushrooms but my husband won’t touch anything they have touched) so I’m going to try this with sauteed spinach. Thanks for the great quinoa recipe!

Jaime — January 12, 2011 @ 9:08 pm

Do you use 1 cup of dry quinoa or 1 cup of cooked quinoa? Thanks! This sounds great!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 12, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

I LOVE roasted garlic! Red pepper and mushrooms are awesome too :) I’m glad you posted this! I recently got hooked on quinoa and I’ve been looking for lots of yummy ways to eat it!

janetha @ meals and moves — January 12, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

roasted garlic is what dreams are made of. savory dreams, at least.

WenDee Riffe — January 12, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

ok–i totally trusted ya!!!! and your were correct~~~this is really rich and healthy and pretty darn tasteeeee indeed!!!! thanks!!!! just took my last bite!!!mmmmmmmmmm~~~~~~~~~~

Katie@Cozydelicious — January 12, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

Look at you and those veggies! But yeah, roasted garlic makes everything amazing. This looks so tasty. And healthy too – does it get any better than that?

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! — January 12, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

That’s exactly what my counter looks like anytime I try and cook with quinoa. It gets everywhere!!

Lauren-HungryDancer — January 13, 2011 @ 1:06 am

I have a box of quinoa that’s been staring my down in the pantry. I’ve been scared to open it up and give it a shot…but this recipe might be reason enough to do it!

Tracy — January 13, 2011 @ 1:46 am

I love me some garlic! I’ve been searching for quinoa at the grocery store but haven’t had any luck yet.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — January 13, 2011 @ 4:54 am

I love quinoa, and I think garlic would be awesome with this!

sheila @ Elements — January 13, 2011 @ 6:57 am

Sounds great! I love quinoa and veggies! :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — January 13, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

I love quinoa so I’m sure this is great! LOVE roasted garlic too! I buy it in bulk at Costco and use it in everything, thanks!

Callie — January 13, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

I was just thinking about serving quinoa with salmon Friday when I saw this. I can tell you, with all that yummy-good-for-you garlic, peppers and shroomies,
    this is going to be delicious! Also wanted to say that I love your quirky comments with each post. You keep me smiling and I’m sure you bring out the best in all who surround you. Have Sweet Day!

• Jessica — January 13th, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Thank you so, so much Callie!

• Callie — January 13th, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

You are most welcome!

Jennifer, A Touch of Garlic — January 13, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

What did you make this as a side for? I never can decide what to pair side dishes with!

• Jessica — January 13th, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

I actually made this side dish alone, but to have through the week. We ended up having it with both chicken and fish. I think it can take the place of rice/potatoes/etc – I look at them as being interchangeable!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — January 13, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

Boy oh Boy! Garlic is my favorite! I love this idea!

Mehr — January 14, 2011 @ 5:31 am

AMAZING!! Can’t wait to make it! I’ve never made quinoa before, but it looks delicious and easy to make. Plus, you can never go wrong with roasted garlic…

Thanks for sharing!

sim ho jang — January 14, 2011 @ 6:46 am

your food is great! it looks delicious

Sam — January 16, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

Wow, that’s looks delicious! I just had some quinoa for breakfast (in a breakfast blend). I think my mom has a bed on hand that I may be stealing…I bet it would taste good with some cooked shrimp and maybe even some swiss chard to bulk up the veggies. Yes I’m one of those people. Great blog! I just found it!

glidingcalm — January 16, 2011 @ 10:07 pm

Mmmmm! I love keeeeeeeeeen-wa! that recipe sounds fabulous!

Sam — January 17, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

I made this for lunch (and for extra throughout the week). I love garlic but this seemed like a bit much, so I did 1.5 cups of quinoa and sauteed about 4 cups of veggies. The garlic was still very strong, sweet and rich. I felt like I needed something to cut it. I tried a couple dashes of balsamic, but that didn’t really work. But then I added some fresh basil and it totally livened it up. Delicious!! (I also made your granola bars this morning).

Roxie-Girl — January 18, 2011 @ 3:35 am

There aint’ nothin’ better than this dish! OMG, it’s almost midnight here and I want to make this!! YUMM!!

Roxie-Girl

Terri — January 20, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

Would this be good with some small pieces of feta/goats cheese mixed it too, so it just slightly melts? I have had somehting like this but it had feta in it and of course it was a restaurant that changes their menu too often…and now I am craving it!

Looks very yummy!

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

I think that sounds delicious!

Alicia — January 30, 2011 @ 3:15 am

This was delicious! I Just made it. It was definitely boyfriend approved.

• Jessica — January 30th, 2011 @ 3:31 am

So glad you guys liked!

Maren — February 23, 2011 @ 3:04 am

I just made this for dinner tonight! I added chopped chicken chunks to it and it was bomb.com. Even the boy liked it. He thought we should add soy sauce (?) to it. What a weirdo. And he wanted broccoli in it. And I thought my boyfriend was just like Mr. How Sweet…. Guess I’ll try that next time!! Great recipe!

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:07 am

So glad it was a hit!

JonesJessie — March 3, 2011 @ 9:21 am

This is known that money can make people independent. But how to act when somebody doesn’t have cash? The only one way is to try to get the home loans and bank loan.

Gingerela — October 30, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

Tried your recipe – thanks for detailed instruction on roasting garlic – and LOVE it. So healthy and delis! Thanks so much!

Rachel — April 24, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

We tried this tonight with high hopes given the yummy ingredients. However, it tasted very bland, even with the roasted garlic and added salt/pepper. Won’t be making it again, unfortunately!

Cruz Brookover — April 30, 2013 @ 8:51 am

People often add too much salt in their recipes without realizing it until it’s too late, but do not worry. There is a way to fix this! Add two peeled and chopped raw potatoes to the dish, and then allow it to simmer for around 15 minutes. The potatoes help absorb the extra salt. For a dish that is tomato-based, just put a few more tomatoes in and let them cook until they’re tender. These will dilute the extra salt.^;