What We Ate.

For nearly a year, I’ve been debating sharing our weekly dinner plans with you. After all, if there is one thing that I can never get enough of, it’s dinner suggestions! Regardless of what I’m cooking during the week, I love to see what others are having for dinner. It inspires me.

The reason this never came to fruition? I’m unorganized. I’m fickle. I’m lazy. I’m a rebel.

Being that we don’t yet have children, we rarely stick to a dinner plan… and I love that. We have no reason to be regimented with our evening schedules. I also find that dinner inspiration strikes me most during the day after reading blogs. I tend to find a meal that I must make rightthisverysecond. Perhaps this is the reason that we already have 7 trips to the grocery store in January. FYI: It’s only January 9th.

So this is my compromise. I’ve created a page detailing our dinners from the past week and will update it at the end of every week. This way, there’s no changing/rearranging the schedule, and I don’t throw a tantrum because I’m not forced to stick to anything. I don’t do well with rules.

You can find the What We Ate page under my Fitness tab, because, well… I have no where else to put it. Until How Sweet It Is gets the facelift it so desperately needs, What We Ate doesn’t have another home.

I hope you guys love this page and it saves you from the “don’t-know-what-to-have-for-dinner” rut. Coming tomorrow – a delicious twist on a classic!

51 Responses to “What We Ate.”

megan @ the oatmeal diaries — January 9, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

I just checked out the balsamic gnocchi and am now craving that at 9:30 am. it looks so delicious!!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 9, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

Oh, can’t wait to see what you post! I can always use new dinner ideas!

Meghan@travelwinedine — January 9, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

I love this idea! I will definitely be checking it out!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — January 9, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

I really like this! :) I always find myself looking for dinner ideas!

Julie @SavvyEats — January 9, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Love the idea of posting it AFTER you’ve had your dinners– a lot less pressure and stress, a lot more flexibility!

Oh, and I can help you out with your ‘facelift’ via Savvy Blog Services if you need it ;)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 9, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Ooohh, that stirfry looks good!!!

Ashley@quasichick — January 9, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

I am excited to see your weekly “what we ate”…you always have the yummiest looking food :)

Stephanie — January 9, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

Very very excited for this. I do try to meal plan as much as possible to save time and money but you regularly inspired some of my dinner plans throughout the year so this will be awesome!

Lola (Sweet Lola Run) — January 9, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

Yayy.. I love your recipes. I will be using that tab a lot! There are moments though where I have the same thing for days. Some of the same meals would last for weeks until I find something new to replace it. I need to get out of that rut and start experimenting.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 9, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

Very cool feature. You are like an indexing queen.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — January 9, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

I am such a food whore and love to know what people eat…I will definitely be stalking your page!

Katie — January 9, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

The first thing I think about when I wake up is what I’m going to eat for dinner (its my favorite meal of the day). Right now I am super boring and have the same thing. all. the. time. Thanks for this. Perfect timing!

Lauren — January 9, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

Oh man, I do this too…I actually looked at the calendar today and thought “I have HOW many more days till the end of the month”? Because going to the grocery store is now nearly a daily thing! Budget? What budget?!!!

jen @ taste life — January 9, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

Oooh, looking forward to it! Great idea.

Kelly — January 9, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing yet another aspect of your life with us! :)

Erica — January 9, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

Very cool! I use to post my weekly dinner menus, but haven’t done so in a while. We USUALLY stick to the plans (our week nights seem to be ridiculous)- but it is nice sometimes to just make what you really feel vs. whats on the menu. I will definitely be checking out your new tab

Natalia - a side of simple — January 9, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

As if I needed one MORE reason to check out your page? Love!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 9, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

Love it!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — January 9, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

haha. I think we are at 7 times as well, but I think 2 of those were beer runs by the hubs. Apparently he can’t buy more than one bottle of chocolate stout at a time.

Yeah, I think our grocery habits will have to change when we have the kiddies, but until then, it is shopping everyday or every other day…

kristina @ life as kristina — January 9, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Ohh those gnocchi’s just took me back to …umm….2 days ago and now I want them again!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — January 9, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

This is a great idea!! I like the whole no tantrum thing haha. Good thinking :)

Michelle — January 9, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

Will you share the stir fry recipe? It looks delish!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 9, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

GREAT IDEA for a page. You are always thinking :)

“We have no reason to be regimented with our evening schedules. I also find that dinner inspiration strikes me most during the day after reading blogs.”–

Yes and yes!!! You will have plenty of time to stick to a routine…rock the spontaneity while you can!

Kat — January 9, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

This is a great idea. I can’t wait to see what you’ve had for dinner

Jessica @ Domestic Goddess-in-Training — January 9, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

Love this idea! And be sure to savor life without schedules…kids definitely throw a wrench into that way of living :)

Chrissy — January 9, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

Now that we are both working full-time, I’m planning meals two weeks at a time. I think the absolute worst thing about living together is “What do you want for dinner?” “I dunno, what do you want for dinner?” which usually ends in Chinese food or pizza. I need a plan to stick to.

Torrie @ a place to share... — January 9, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

What a perfect idea! A way for you to share a “meal plan” and not have to actually *meal plan! LOVE.

Lisa @Thrive Style — January 9, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

Great idea! I can’t wait to spy on your meals :)

Abby — January 9, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

Hahaha you know i feel the same way about rules. I like guidelines. That’s a better word.

Kate @ahealthypassion — January 9, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

what a good idea! i’m always nosy and I love to see what other people are eating.

Nicole, RD — January 9, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

I think I’m the only freak who LIKES meal planning :) You’ll love it!

• Jessica — January 9th, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

Oh girl! I actually LOVE meal planning… it’s just when the actual day comes to eat what I’ve planned? I normally want something else!

Angela — January 9, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

Thank you for sharing with us!! I am always in need of new recipes to add to my weekly list of dinner ideas. And I have enjoyed everything I have tried from your site :) I try to meal plan every week, easier some weeks than others. But always seem to tweak it a bit because of what life brings at us each week.

Alaina — January 9, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

I’m always saying that I need to make more dishes with recommendations I find at blogs. I look forward to reading your page. :-)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 9, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

Can’t wait to see all the delicious posts!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — January 10, 2011 @ 1:32 am

Love this idea!

Yum Yucky — January 10, 2011 @ 2:17 am

You should totally do a segment called, “What We Ate, Live!” …as in, live from my house so I can eat what you eat, too.

Hannah — January 10, 2011 @ 2:23 am

Love this idea, particularly as, like you, I hate cooking to a plan and like to eat based on a whim :D

Baking Serendipity — January 10, 2011 @ 3:25 am

I love this! I’m always on the hunt for creative, delicious meal ideas and I’m sure I’ll find them here. PS, it’s good to know that I’m not the only crazy one heading to the grocery store every.single.day. !!

Lauren — January 10, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Fantastic addition to an already awesome blog! I’m constantly inspired by your recipes, and am stoked for this new source of dinner ideas.

Kacy — January 10, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

This sounds great! I’m always looking for dinner inspiration.

I need to give my blog a facelift, but I’m so clueless. Sigh…

Vicki — January 10, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

I love this idea! My boyfriend and I also have revolving/no set dinner plans any night, as I also find inspiration from my midday food blog checks. I hope you don’t mind if I try this on my own blog…it might help me to remember to take more pictures and post more often (a new year’s resolution)!

tabs — January 10, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

Mrs. How Sweet…I think we’ve taken more than 7 trips to the store…that’s what us single, healthy eating, cooking/baking lovers do.

Weird thing about me…I actually love going to the grocery store. I love wandering the aisles and checking everything out… So, 7+ trips to the grocery store? Heaven, my friend, simply heaven. ;)

Jen H — January 10, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

Great idea! I suck at meal planning too and am all about new dinner inspiration, especially since me and 2 friends committed to not repeating any dinner recipe for 2011! If you want to check it you we are blogging about it over at noreeats.blogspot.com

Lauren — January 11, 2011 @ 12:14 am

Do happen to have the recipe for the picture of the meat and vegetables you have on this post? When i place the cursor over the picture it says its Honey Chicken, but I can’t seem to find it in your recipes. Looks delicious!!

Ash — January 11, 2011 @ 2:49 am

Yes! I’m so glad you created that page! I’m going to love it! =)

Baking 'n' Books — January 11, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

Is the picture a brocolli and chicken stir-fry?

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention What We Ate. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com