Many moons ago (like… in September), I made individual pumpkin spice breakfast cakes. Remember those?

They were good.

I made them multiple days in a row.

I ate many of them.

They satisfied my super sweet teeth.

And they were healthy, because any time you use whole wheat flour it cancels out all butter and sugar in a recipe. My goal is simply to educate you.

Then I forgot about them. How sad.

But I thought about the cakes a few days ago, remembering their fluffiness and how they crumbled when my spoon so perfectly scooped up a bite. And I was able to breath life into a new breakfast cake.

This was made possible by the 4 pints of blueberries I absentmindedly tossed in my cart at the grocery store last week. I don’t really even love blueberries, unless we’re talking pancakes. And I really have no idea how we spend so much money on food.

Don’t you just want to dig in? It’s like a ginormous muffin. But it’s cake!

I highly suggest topping them with a blueberry glaze. Of course. If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been all over the glazes lately.

Yeah. That picture kind of ruined my placemat. Any tips on getting sugar glazes out from in between beads? I’m really not concerned.

This is such a fun breakfast. And for those of you oddballs who don’t like things very sweet, this cake is perfect. Not too sweet at all.

[print_this]

Blueberry Breakfast Cakes

adapted from pumpkin spice breakfast cakes

serves 2

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/3 cup Greek yogurt

1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

3/4 cup fresh blueberries, tossed in flour

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add in vanilla and yogurt and stir. Mix dry ingredients together and add to batter, only mixing until just combined. Fold in blueberries.

Spray 2 ramekins with non-stick spray and pour batter into them equally. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Blueberry Glaze

1/2 cup of powdered sugar

3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 tablespoons cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon milk

Add sugar to bowl and stir in heavy cream and vanilla until mixture resembles a thick batter. Add milk (one tablespoon at a time in case you need more), stirring until smooth ā€“ about 3-5 full minutes. Mixture may look lumpy at first but just continue to stir and it will come together. Continue to add liquid if needed to get desired consistency. Mash in a handful of blueberries.

[/print_this]

I hope you didn’t eat breakfast yet.

185 Responses to “Blueberry Breakfast Cakes.”

Tracy — February 4, 2011 @ 1:15 am

I’d love to have this for breakfast tomorrow morning!!

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) — February 4, 2011 @ 1:36 am

OOH- these look fab!

And yes- whole wheat flour 100% cancels out butter and sugar. Fact.

-Joelle (the pancake girl)

Imwaytoobusy — February 4, 2011 @ 1:36 am

Oh, wow. These sound perfect! I love seeing a nice blueberry dish in the middle of winter. :) That’s right up my alley!

Baking Serendipity — February 4, 2011 @ 2:23 am

I’m so upset that I missed this pumpkin cake post back in the fall! I kind of want to make both the blueberry and the pumpkin versions this weekend now :)

Nicole — February 4, 2011 @ 3:36 am

You take the most AMAZING pictures!!

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

Thank you!!

Ann Claire — February 4, 2011 @ 4:09 am

Holy Yum! That looks amazing!!

Milisa @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 4, 2011 @ 4:11 am

Cake for breakfast, oh yeah I’m in!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat — February 4, 2011 @ 4:44 am

yum yum yummy! I can’t wait for breakfast so I might have these for dinner

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 4, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

Wowzers with these little ramekins filled with all kinds of greatness! Anything hot doughy & blueberry is all right by me. Really.

gramps — February 4, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Thank you, thankyou, thanks for the print button

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

The print button may still be tricky, it’s there but I’m working on it!

liz — February 5, 2011 @ 1:02 am

Looks amazing! Where did you get those place mats?

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — February 5, 2011 @ 2:49 am

They are gorgeous!!! :)

Jennifer — February 5, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

Jessica – I am a huge fan of your blog. When I read this post, I was SO excited for the weekend when I actually had the time to make these for my husband and I. Let me just tell you – UH MAZINGGGG!!! Thank you so much for sharing this – it’s my new go-to favorite breakfast treat!

Simply Life — February 6, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

oh these are adorable and look heavenly!

Julie @ Shining From Within — February 6, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

I NEED to make these!

Christine — February 8, 2011 @ 1:44 am

ima make these this weekend, but I was wondering your thoughts on not using the ramekins…I don’t have any and I *know* you said they’re cheap and *yes* i only live about half a mile from a williams-sonoma, but darn it I’m lazy. What do you think about muffin pans or even a 8×8 pan…would it totally ruin the effect? Must i bust out the sneakers and make a trip to procure some ramekins? I am so excited for this recipe! :)

• Jessica — February 8th, 2011 @ 3:27 am

I would say muffins pans may work! If you use an 8×8 I would think you need to at least double the recipe… maybe even triple.

• Christine — February 26th, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

made these this morning – in muffin pans – and the recipe exactly fit a 6 muffin tin. These were so good! Your glaze recipe was a little confusing tho with the “1 1/2 tablespoon cup of heavy cream” but we figured you just meant cup, and it ended up workin out! Thanks for such a great recipe! def. a keeper :)

Esther — February 12, 2011 @ 12:25 am

I made these this morning.
    Um. SO GOOD.
    Let’s just say it was my breakfast and my lunch.
    Thank you thank you!

• Jessica — February 12th, 2011 @ 12:36 am

So glad you liked them!

Ashley — June 26, 2011 @ 11:25 am

I’m thinking I need to make this…

Lyn @LovelyPantry — June 26, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Hello Lover… (as in, Cake for breakfast)!!! Beautiful! I’m going to try this and everyone in my house will worship me! :-D As always, stunning photographs!

Louise — June 27, 2011 @ 9:46 am

The recipe looks amazing!
    I’m having a big crowd and would love to make a bundt cake of this blueberry breakfast cake.
    How long do you think l need to bake it?
    (l know, till it’s done) but do you think it will work???
    My mouth is watering!!!!

• Jessica — June 27th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Hmmm I honestly have never tried making it in a bigger version and I barely have any experience with bundt cakes. Maybe try it for 25-30 minutes? I honestly can’t say if I think it would work – cakes are not my strong point!

• Mary from Minnesota — June 27th, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

I bake lots of cakes and I would guess closer to 45 minutes for a bundt cake from this.

Mary from Minnesota — June 27, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

I am very anxious to try them this weekend, but since my driveway is full of wild raspberries and so is my freezer from last year, I think I will use raspberries. The blueberries are out where there are humongous mosquitoes and I don’t go there!

Laina — June 27, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

The cakes look amazing, and a very wet toothbrush should get the glaze out from between the beads. Just be gentle :)

Esti — July 7, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

These cakes look excellent; just curious if I can replace the greek yogurt with regular plain yogurt?

Sunny — February 11, 2012 @ 3:19 pm

I made this and served it with vanilla ice cream for dessert! I can’t stop eating this! Sooooooo good!

Donna — February 18, 2012 @ 7:42 am

This is so brunch this weekend….fabulous food fare…”ph”-abulous photography as well..I just found your blog and I am an instant fan. Question…What size are your ramekins? Are they in ounces/grams? They look similar to those we can find here in France by Revol…

What I absolutely love about this recipe is that one can actually SLEEP IN on the weekend and yet have something wonderful and blueberry-y…without slaving over the stove…Thank you for sharing your creative baking prowess…so very appreciated.

Melissa — June 22, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

The calorie count is probably really high?
    This looks delicious but I was wondering what the size of your dishes are?
    Thanks

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Blueberry Breakfast Cakes | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Blueberry Breakfast Cakes | How Sweet It Is — Daily Great Food

3. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 2/5/2011 | Brown Eyed Baker

4. Pingback: Blueberry Breakfast Cakes | Prevention RD

5. Pingback: Blueberry Cake Recipe: Cream Cheese Frosting, Fruit Sauce, Gluten Free ā€” Family Fresh Cooking

6. Pingback: Blueberry Breakfast Cakes « What's Cooking in Kentucky…

7. Pingback: Since It’s Sunday. | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: inspired 6.26.11 « beka.g.photography.

9. Pingback: Living One Bite at a Time » Mini Blueberry Pies