Maybe I should just start a blog about breakfast?

Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes I howsweeteats.com

I seem to kindasortamaybe love it.

Which is really odd, because my day to day breakfasts aren’t anything to write home about. Obviously. Since I’m already home.

But I often just throw four or five random ingredients together because all I’m thinking is “omg, I’m so hungry and just need food in my face right this very instant.” I’m definitely not the person that needs to make their breakfast look like a princess puked on it [oh, except these] because seriously? I’ve just gone at least eight hours without food. Give it up. But I guess breakfast is really a thing now, huh?

Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes I howsweeteats.com

I totally love dinner too. Actually dinner is my favorite. So bonus points whenever you have breakfast for dinner.

But obviously I’m forgetting about dessert. Rats.

Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes I howsweeteats.com

I’m just gonna shut my piehole because I think the only point here is that food is my favorite. Plain and simple. All foods. Except green things. With exceptions for avocados and m&m’s. Skittles too.

Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes I howsweeteats.com

And this other weird thing? I really like when my food [such as breakfast] tastes like other things [let's just say... PIE]. Especially served in tiny little ramekins individually portioned for the control freak in you. Plus, you eat your one little serving and then boom! You’re pleasantly full and all set for the morning. Unless you eat another one.

Turns out breakfast cakes aren’t safe when left all alone. Who knew?

Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes I howsweeteats.com

Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes

serves 2

adapted from blueberry breakfast cakes

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 egg

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt

1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

a pinch each of nutmeg, ground ginger, & ground cardamom

1 medium apple, peeled and diced into cubes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add in vanilla and yogurt and stir. Mix dry ingredients together and add to batter, only mixing until just combined. Fold in apple chunks.

Spray 2 ramekins {I used the 6 ounce, 3 1/2 inch} with non-stick spray and pour batter into them equally. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

For the brown sugar topping, I simply combined 1/2 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch of salt and 2 teaspoons of melted butter and then crumbled it over top before baking. For an optional glaze on top, combine 3-4 tablespoons of powdered sugar and a drop or two of milk (literally a drop) and whisk until a glaze forms.

Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes I howsweeteats.com

P.S. I hear these make a tasty dessert too. I’d rather eat my dessert for breakfast.

152 Responses to “Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes.”

Angelina Mathew — September 5, 2011 @ 8:08 am

I like your morning breakfast cake.

Angela @ The Dancer Bakes — September 5, 2011 @ 11:28 am

Want. As in right now.

Alex — September 5, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

I love you.

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — September 8, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

I’d rather eat dessert for breakfast too. And lunch. And dinner :).

Meagan — September 14, 2011 @ 5:39 am

I’ve been following your blog for a few weeks now (love it, by the way), and this is the first thing I’ve made. I was a bit nervous since I had to make a number of substitutions (poor grocery shopping planning on my part), but the cakes turned out fabulous!!! But that’s usually when I know a recipe is good . . . when it can hold up against substitutions and still come out yummy. This one is definitely a keeper. Thanks, and keep the good stuff coming! And by good stuff I mean the great recipes, beautiful photos, and witty comments. :) I will definitely be back for more!

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking — September 22, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

this looks amazing. i need to buy ramekins so i can make this.
    wow wow wow

Sue — November 13, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

I love your blog! You have a great sense of humor and Great recipes!!!! Thanks!

anne — April 7, 2012 @ 1:47 am

This looks soo good! I’m going to attempt to make it without the butter or sugar, and just add a little honey instead.

Alicia — May 3, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

Ok. I am officially drooling over this recipe. Question for you: I would like to make it for a larger crowd but sadly only have 4 ramekins. What are your thoughts on tripling this recipe and baking it in a cast iron skillet?

Ambi — March 24, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

It looks yummy… Can I use regular yogurt instead of Greek Yogurt as I am not able to find in my local stores..

Julie R — October 31, 2013 @ 9:50 pm

I’m kind of, pretty sure, that you are amazing! This looks fantastic, and I do believe that I am going to ruin my morning workout when i make this for breakfast tomorrow! And……………….I’m also pretty sure that I love the way you type your posts………..beeeecause, if I (hypothetically speaking) ever were to have a blog, I would probably write the same way that you do. Its wonderful! Thank you for all of the fantastic posts and recipes and other amazingness that you write about! I love it!

Melanie — November 20, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

Oh my goodness, pie for breakfast? And you don’t even have to wait until the day after Thanksgiving? Yes, please.

Rachael — January 27, 2014 @ 11:11 am

I added the oatmeal cookie crisp from the Apple Bourbon Pie you made… yummy!

1. Pingback: Apple Pie for Breakfast? « Sarahlicious Dishes

2. Pingback: Apple Pie

3. Pingback: Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes

4. Pingback: this week’s dose of inspiration. | simply chic.

5. Pingback: Apple Recipe Roundup Via Pinterest

6. Pingback: How to Create the BEST Mother’s Day Breakfast In Bed…Ever

7. Pingback: Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes | Breakfast Recipe

8. Pingback: Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes | Cool Cooking School

9. Pingback: Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes | Home Chef de Cuisine

10. Pingback: tuesday things | Inky Twin Eats

11. Pingback: 5 Secrets to Hosting a Good Party (+ Mini Apple Pies!)