Chances are, you can find pizza in our kitchen one or two nights every single week.

Mr. How Sweet just can’t go a few days without it.

It’s the one meal that doesn’t need the presence of chicken or steak to be deemed a “meal” by him. He claims that pepperoni is enough.
Oh, and sometimes we have bacon on our pizza. I guess he kinda knows me.

So, I’m always looking for new pizza-like foods. Unfortunately, these still didn’t count as real pizza for Mr. How Sweet, which meant we had pizza the next night anyway. But that doesn’t mean they weren’t tasty!
In case you’re wondering, I did try these with sweet potatoes since we loved them so much. They were good too. Not as pretty, but they definitely worked.

However, I’d much rather stuff my sweet potato with brown sugar, cinnamon, caramel, marshmallows and bacon. Who wouldn’t?

The best part about these treats is that you can make multiple flavors all at once. That’s perfect for me since we all know I get bored easily and change my mind every 6 seconds. I loaded on pepperoni and sausage for Mr. How Sweet and made some with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and fresh basil for myself.

That basil was worth the leg I paid for it with.
I’m even thinking that a chicken + broccoli + bacon alfredo combination would hit the spot and a good way for me to eat some greens? Even though I’d rather chew nails than eat broccoli.

Not joking.

Even those little green pepper specks up there are enough to spin me into a tizzy.

[print_this]

Pizza Stuffed Potatoes

4 medium russet or Idaho potatoes

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup very finely chopped green peppers

1/2 cup very finely chopped mushrooms

a handful of pepperoni slices, sliced thin and then chopped

1/2 cup pizza sauce (or more, depending on your preference)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Poke holes in potatoes with a fork and bake for about 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Once cool, slice around the inside of the potato and scoop out the flesh, be careful not to poke holes in the bottom (it’s okay if you do – it happens!). Put scooped potatoes in a bowl and mix with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons each of peppers, mushrooms and pepperoni. Mix well. Scoop mixture back into potatoes and spoon pizza sauce over top. Add more toppings and cheese. Bake for 10-15 more minutes.

Other pizza flavors you could use: buffalo chicken, bbq chicken, margherita, pierogi, and of course – an array of toppings!

[/print_this]

Now all I’m craving is a giant dessert sweet potato. Those make a good breakfast, right?

110 Responses to “Pizza Stuffed Potatoes.”

Blog is the New Black — February 16, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Jess, these look awesome! Great spin! Two of my friends recently made fun ones: buffalo chicken stuffed skins and cheeseburger stuffed skins! :)

Nicole — February 16, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

I love the idea of making potatoes into pizza. That would be a great way to do something different!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 16, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Scott would ADORE these! Like this is HIS food..soooo much. I may have to surprise him!

Hope you’re doing great :)

Erica — February 16, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

I made stuffed potatoes last night too! They are one of my favs. I have done them pizza style before, but love a sort of Mexican style version too. Looks great.

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — February 16, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Two things:
    1. Love these potatoes. They look delicious.
    2. Pretty sure you could do anything to a sweet potato, or eat it at anytime and it would be delicious. I tried some into burritos a few weeks ago, delicious!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 16, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

Yum! We love baked potatoes! I love how you can put anything on them and they taste good :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 16, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Just bake a sweet potato and top it with your smores dessert – that’ll get you going this morning!!

Julie @ Shining From Within — February 16, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

I think i’d rather have a dessert stuffed ‘tater too ;). Those look delicious. Such a good idea =)

Eliana — February 16, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Hmmmm – I have never seen a tater look so good. Super delish girl!

Marisa @ Loser for Life — February 16, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

Pizza and potatoes are two of my favorite foods! Along with brownies…and cookies…and cheese…

• Jessica — February 16th, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

Funny… me too! ;)

Katrina — February 16, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

Great idea! I’m so trying this after my grocery shop.

Christie {Nourishing Eats} — February 16, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

What a great idea!! These look delish!!

Hannah — February 16, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Oh gosh, potato skins! I think I had those last when I was in America when I was six years old! I love how your blog always shows me foods that are new-ish to me as an Aussie :)

• Jessica — February 16th, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

I love that too!

megan @ blackberries for jam — February 16, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

I can’t go more than a week without pizza. I need to incorporate more pizza-like foods in my diet! Thanks!

Cara — February 16, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

Those look awesome! I’ll have to see if they pass as pizza for my boy, he can’t go a few days without it either!

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] — February 16, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

YUMM!!

Heather — February 16, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

an entire potato dinner sounds awesome to me! i’ve never thought to do a pizza one…guess you could consider my world rocked ;)

Aggie — February 16, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

These are so cute! what a great idea! yum!!

Karen — February 16, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Those look amazing!! Combining pizza and potato skins is pure genius!!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — February 16, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

how funny! We do have the same brain haha. And for the record, I totally thought of you when making them…thought you would be proud of me for cooking bacon :)

• Jessica — February 16th, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

I am!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 16, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

I think potatos are one of the most boring foods in the world (which is why I always buy sweet potatos instead), but these ones are all sexed up and gorgeous! LOVE it!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — February 16, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

I was just saying yesterday that I never make my husband white potatoes because I don’t really like them…but disguise them as a pizza and I might just be game! :)

Lauren — February 16, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

I made something similar to this a little while back, and they went over very well with the hubs (and me!). I’m in full support of a dessert-y sweet potato for breakfast ;).

Lauren at KeepItSweet — February 16, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

My husband would love this! I’m partial for a stuffed sweet potato, but the pizza part looks really good!

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries — February 16, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

What a genius idea!! I love pizza, but I normally don’t eat it because it upsets my stomach. BUT, I love this pizza-potato concoction :) Thank you!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — February 16, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Great idea! My husband would love this since he eats pizza every week too!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — February 16, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Such a wonderful combination of comfort foods!

Carissa — February 16, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Love this idea! Plus the thought of it with sweet potatoes makes my mouth water! My favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is as roasted wedges, though. With ketchup!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — February 16, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

Ohh – this looks just sooo good – it’s been so long since I’ve had a “regular” potato…need to get on that.

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat — February 16, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

What a great idea! Throw some bacon on top and you’ve hit all the major food groups- cheese, potatoes, bacon.

• Jessica — February 16th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

Good point! :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 16, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Cute idea! We are big pizza eaters in our house too. When my fiance and I started dating, he made his “famous” french bread pizzas for me- eh, let’s just say there was a lot of tomato paste smeared on top. Since then, he’s learned better.

Amanda @ The Artsy Kitchen — February 16, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

This is absolute genius!! My husband would love these!! I wonder what they would be like with sweet potatoes…. hmmm.

• Jessica — February 16th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

They are delicious – we did those too.

Katie — February 16, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Why haven’t I ever though of pizza potatoes?? Where do you come up with these genius ideas?

• Jessica — February 16th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

I have no life other than creating recipes.

brandi — February 16, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Okay, now this is just getting freaky :) I have these on our menu plan for this week, too!

We are on the same recipe wavelength lately – too funny :) Too bad we can’t just cook these together and only have to take one set of pictures!

Elle — February 16, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

Another great idea! I’ll bet small potatoes would make a fun snack, too.

Maria — February 16, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Love this idea!

Kait's pursuit of Health — February 16, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Those are the best looking things I’ve seen in a while. Holy yum!

Amanda — February 16, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

You had me at pizza. Or at stuffed. Or… I mean potato. Heck. You just have me girl. :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — February 16, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

holy yum!!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — February 16, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

Perfect breakfast! I love stuffing potatoes…really they are the perfect vessel!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — February 16, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

Those look great! Although I don’t think I would go for the broccoli alfredo. What you have there is perfection already.

Stephanie — February 16, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

What a fun idea! Never would have thought of that combo but it def works… yum!

Bianca @ south bay rants n raves — February 16, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

The first variation I saw was fajita potatoes & now pizza? Yum! My favorite veggie gets a makeover :)

Alaina - The Jogging Concierge — February 16, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Hmm, one giant potato skin!! That looks amazing! :-)

Little Miss Fitness — February 16, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

uh…yum! :)

EatLiveRun — February 16, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

what a great idea! I must make this for Adam soon.

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh — February 16, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

Such a FuN idea! I think that I would also love to try the dessert sweet potato =]

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 16, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

Mmmm…great twist!

thehealthyapron — February 16, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

How clever Jess! These look great!

Ashley — February 16, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

this.is.brilliant. Way to get creative…per usual!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Pizza Stuffed Potatoes | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Calories Blog » Blog Archive » How to buy USDA recommends? 4. 5 cups of fruits and the? Vegetables for $ 2. 50 per day

3. Pingback: Noshies » Pizza Skins

4. Pingback: Lindsay’s Lunchbox #7 | The Lean Green Bean

5. Pingback: Pizza Stuffed Potatoes | Foodbeast Pizza Stuffed Potatoes | The Premiere Food News Resource

6. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #33 – Pizza Stuffed Potatoes « Ella Rose Entertaining

7. Pingback: How To Make Pizza Stuffed Potatoes | UniqueDaily.com

8. Pingback: Columbus Foodie » Blog Archive » February 2011 Roundup

9. Pingback: Pizza Stuffed Potatoes {How Sweet It Is}

10. Pingback: Traditional January 2013 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

11. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - 5 Stuffed Potatoes

12. Pingback: Please Don’t Heat Up the Kitchen New Recipe Challenge: A Working Link List | Full Happy Muffin and Mama: The Blog