Let’s face it: sometimes we all need a dessert that only makes two servings.

Sometimes we just can’t handle 12 servings.

Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves. Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves in two hours. Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves in a matter of minutes. Sometimes it’s the best thing ever.

FYI: I have no idea what that is like.

Haven’t you always wished you could make just enough dessert for yourself? Or yourself and one other person?

Or… just yourself?

Me too.

But more often than not, I’ve found it to be a hassle to drag out the mixer, cream the sugar and butter, sift the dry ingredients and all that fun stuff for a measly two cupcakes.

What can I say? I’m lazy.

Well, I was lazy. Until I decided to make these cupcakes for two. This is only my second or third cupcake recipe completely from scratch and completely from my own recipe development, and I am so excited with the result.

It is definitely your typical white cake; fluffy and soft, full of vanilla flavor, and the perfect vehicle for some fluffy white frosting.

And it only takes one bowl! Not creaming, no mixer, no folding… just you, a bowl and a spoon. Try not eating some of that batter. Yeah right.

I think what I love most about these cupcakes is their customizability. Mr. How Sweet and I can have different flavors of frosting or even some different fruit, nuts or chocolate chips added in our cupcakes if we’d like. Meaning that I can make mine fun and fancy and he can keep his plain and boring. Nothin’ new there.

[print_this]

One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes for Two

serves 2

1 egg white

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla (yes, a full teaspoon – they are super vanilla-y!)

1/4 cup flour

1/4 heaping teaspoon of baking powder

pinch of salt

1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 2 liners.

In a bowl, add egg white and sugar and whisk until combined. Add in vanilla and melted butter and stir until mixed. Add flour, baking powder and salt and stir until smooth. Stir in milk. Divide batter equally between the 2 cupcake liners.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, or until cake is set. Let cool completely, then frost as desired. I used some leftover white chocolate frosting.

[/print_this]

I have an inkling that these “easy” cupcakes may be made nightly. Does that defeat the purpose?

686 Responses to “One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes For Two.”

Shannon — July 4, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Made these earlier today to test out some frosting I made for an upcoming anniversary party.
    They were delicious, although I found them kind of heavy. Not sure if it was because I doubled the recipe (I know sometimes you just can’t do that) or if something happened while I baked them (2 little kids running around!)

None the less, thanks for the recipe!

Elise — July 4, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

Just wondering – could you make this in the microwave?

jeannie — July 7, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

LOVE these! I made my second batch of doubles today. This time I added chocolate. I love the idea of making just two–perfect for me (and maybe someone else). I can’t wait to experiment with different flavors. Thanks so much!!

Catherine — July 7, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

My cupcakes smell as if the taste like dough.

Erica — July 8, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

When I made these cupcakes last night I misread the recipe and used 1 1/2 teaspoons of milk in instead of tablespoons. And you know what? They were still to die for! (Even if a bit dry.) I can’t wait to taste them with the proper amount of milk. I also used buttermilk instead of milk (if you’re going to eat a cupcake you may as well go all in, right) and it gave it was so nice and rich. Oh, and I also swirled in a bit of Nutella after pouring the batter into the tray. It was the best! Thanks so much for this recipe. As a girl who cooks and eats just for herself (and the boyfriend as well, every now and then) I just know that I will enjoy playing with this two-cupcake recipe for years to come! Thanks so much!

jmm0438 — July 8, 2011 @ 11:38 pm

These are cooling on my counter right now, and I am incredibly excited. I added a little lemon + lemon zest to the batter, and whipped up a quick batch of lemon buttercream to top them off. Off to snarf. THANK YOU!! :)

Lyndsie — July 9, 2011 @ 2:54 am

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanessa — July 10, 2011 @ 3:59 am

I made these cakes this afternoon – they were so yummy!!!!!! I had to cook mine a little longer for the whole cupcake to be cooked through, but they were great. I like the idea of only making two, but this recipe is so nice I almost wish I’d doubled the mixture.

Joie — July 11, 2011 @ 1:06 am

So, sprinkles and sparkles and puppies and bunnies and rainbows aside–

I made these. They’re delicious. (I might’ve said that in an earlier comment… but I don’t remember) I also altered the recipe to make a chocolate version– also tasty!! I am thinking of trying out a strawberry or caramel version– could be super fun!

Anyway, to my point. These are delicious… but! They uh… kinda taste a little more like muffins than I would expect. Wait, wait! That’s not a bad thing! But, I’m just wondering– why? Is it because of the milk? I expect so. Usually milk isn’t put into cupcakes, but instead is put into the muffins. It makes the cakes a little heavier and perhaps less “Moisty-Springy” as I like to say to describe cake/cupcake texture. These are denser, perhaps that’s the word. Anyway– I assume the milk is in there to balance out the liquid to dry ratio and make the chemistry for baking work. Coming up with a proper liquid in such a small amount could be difficult too, but I wonder!

Just a curious mind at work. I suck at chemistry (I got a C- minus in it in high school– WOE!!!) and so I don’t understand the basics behind how cupcakes actually magically come into being. I have always thought of them as some sort of wizardry that’s going on that I can’t understand. Well now that I’m an ah-dult (kinda, I may be 26 but I will be forever 10 years old) I’m getting curious to understand the science behind it.

(…I bet you’re wondering how I managed to make the cupcakes into chocolate ones without having some sort of awful explosion or mishap. Let’s just say I guessed correctly! Happy accident!)

OMG unrelated sidenote: since you’re a baking guru– why is it that most recipes usually combine chocolate with oil instead of chocolate with butter? Does it just taste better?

Jennifer — July 11, 2011 @ 1:43 am

My 9 year old daughter and I made these cupcakes and they turned out great! It is a wonderful alternative to the hyper-expensive cupcake place that is around the corner from our home here in Chicago. Many thanks!

mariah — July 11, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE you for this i will make mine tonight thanks :)))

rella — July 12, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

i can’t get these to work…i’m very frustrated..but i LOVE the idea!

Hannah — July 14, 2011 @ 1:03 am

These worked really well for me although I found that I could taste the egg just slightly more than I would have liked. I doubled the recipe and ended up with 6 smaller sized cupcakes. They were super yummy but for next time I’m going to cut the egg in half or use half a banana instead.

Caroline — July 14, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

I just made these but made seven mini cupcakes instead. They were delicious and only took me thirty minutes icing and all. I used cream cheese icing and added mint, they were amazing! For icing for that amount use 1 tablespoon butter, 1 oz cream cheese, around a cup of powdered sugar (amount of your liking), and a half a teaspoon of milk! Super easy and so good without having several cupcakes lying around for days!

Kat — July 19, 2011 @ 12:08 am

These were so tasty! Made them for dessert tonight!
    Just wondering.. do you know how many calories are in on cupcake?
    Thanks for the recipe!!

• Jessica — July 19th, 2011 @ 6:36 am

Nope I do not, but you can plug whatever ingredients you use (brand specific) into an online calorie counter to determine that!

Clair — July 19, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

Never have I ever wished to make only two cupcakes.

Jennifer — July 24, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

I just made these tonight and they turned out so delicious! I ended up throwing some mini chocolate chips in the batter and frosting them with some chocolate icing! The only problem is now I will probably want to make these all the time!

lindsey — July 27, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

I made these this afternoon for my son’s “quitting thumb sucking” celebration. I didn’t want to make a full layer cake, and an entire batch of cupcakes seemed a little extreme. Perfect – one for him, one for hubby and I to split. I added some coconut extract to the batter and toasted coconut to the top as well.

Dominique — July 29, 2011 @ 12:31 am

Thanks for sharing this! I made these tonight, and while they were pretty good and soothed my monster cupcake craving, they tasted really eggy. I’m wondering if there is anything I can substitute for half of the egg white?

merg — July 29, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

Looks yummy…but its a huge motherfucking waste of energy. you sure are lazy

• Juliana — August 16th, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

you should try a cupcake or two once in a while. might make you a little bit happier.

Jess — July 31, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

Just put these babies in the oven. Cannot wait!

sweetsugarbelle — August 3, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

This is perfect for me!!!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — August 8, 2011 @ 10:26 pm

Hi Jessica – I made these today and they were awesome! I topped them with cream cheese frosting. Deelish. I think I’m going to be making cupcakes waaaay too often now. Thanks for the recipe!

Kaylen — August 9, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

So, I wasn’t really paying enough attention, and forgot the milk entirely.
    But, I pushed a Small frozen strawberry into one of them, and although It took an extra few minutes to cook. It was amazing. The other was good too, just a little dry. But this one was perfect. The juices kept it moist, but didn’t make the entire thing taste like a strawberry. Best mistake ever.

Amy — August 10, 2011 @ 11:21 pm

Hi Jessica, I was wondering if you knew how to make them into chocolate cupcakes or strawberry? Thanks for the recipe!

Stormie — August 14, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

I just made these and they were super! Good texture and flavor. I’m watching my sweets intake so I divided the batter into 10 mini cupcakes. Just enough to curb my sweet tooth! According to my calculations, they came out to only 44 calories each! Thanks for the recipe.

camryn — August 17, 2011 @ 11:43 am

i used this and my cake came out spongey and tasted like plain vanila

Julia — August 17, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

I made these after watching cupcake wars because I had such a cupcake craving! As some other comments said mine did turn out a bit dense and not as fluffy as I like cupcakes and not very sweet but they were still delicious! I topped them with some leftover peppermint buttercream from cupcakes I made this weekend and it was perfect for my cravings.

Lily the conshell — August 19, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

Hiiii all I made these yesterday and they were not very good they we spongy and kind of tasted like eggs!!! We checked the dates on all of the items we used so it must have been the recipe!! If it was your first time baking like it was for me don’t expect a grocery store cupcake like I did!! i am just telling you all my opinion!! The vanilla was a little to much!! But we were just experimenting!!!

Dominic — August 20, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

These are so easy to make. i am a compleate came making noob and the recipie was easy to follow. saved for future cake fixes i may need

Vivian - vxdollface — August 21, 2011 @ 4:46 am

perfect for a midnight snack :) thanks for sharing!

Lily the conshell — August 22, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

they are gross

Lily the conshell — August 22, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

eww

-B- — August 23, 2011 @ 10:35 am

I’m thinking of making this for a friends B-day. Sounds like the perfect portion for a person how had the Beriactric surgery. I’ll try them, I just hope they wont taste like egg like everyone has said. Maybe the just can’t bake!!!

• Jessica — August 23rd, 2011 @ 11:10 am

B – I make these all the time and they have never turned out eggy for me so I am not sure why it has happened for others. But rest assured that there are far more positive reviews of this than negative ones – it’s one of the most popular recipes on my site!

• Janet — September 10th, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

Maybe people are using extra large jumbo eggs or something. So much can affect the chemistry/taste of baked goods, from the fat content of your milk to the size of your eggs. Looks like you got the right combo Jessica and I am so excited to try it out.

Amanda Fusinatto — August 28, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I have this in the oven right now, and I’ll let you know how it turns out!

I don’t have a cupcake pan (I know, right? I just moved and am missing a few things) so I am making it in a little ceramic ramekin instead. Cake for two! :)

• Amanda — August 28th, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

Turned out fabulous. :) Thanks again!

• Nash — September 16th, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

Great idea Amanda. I have ceramic ramekins and will try it in those.

Shai — August 31, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

So, for some reason i got 3 instead of 2 but i am not complaining!! Now, personally for me, tastewise i did find it slightly eggy but topping it with frosting helps a lot : ) Still, thanks for the sharing your recipe.

Erin — September 2, 2011 @ 7:35 am

I made these tonight, they’re completely yummy and two is the perfect number (1 for mum and 1 for me!) However they did turn out a little eggy, but I’ll work on that. Thank you for coming up with this lovely little recipe! :)

Jade — September 2, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

I put the batter in a jumbo muffin cup liner, having this and a glass of “red velvet” wine by Cupcake Winery. Talk about a friday.

Great cupcake recipe btw :)

Sheila — September 5, 2011 @ 10:57 pm

The hubby and I loved the recipe. Two is perfect for when we want to splurge but don’t want to spend the next 2 weeks eating cupcakes. I can’t wait to play with variations. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Duckie — September 10, 2011 @ 12:10 am

Yum! I was a little afraid since my batter was very runny, but I loved them (as did my boyfriend who played the part of guinea pig). I honestly could not wait for them to fully cool down so i ate it warm :p i cant wait to experiment with these cupcakes! They are the perfect fix for a sweets craving without being disgustingly sweet.

Brittany — September 13, 2011 @ 12:49 am

I didn’t want to agree with the some of the negative comments, but I unfortunately do. Mine tasted eggy, as well. I used a large egg, not jumbo. Also, it was dense like a muffin. I didn’t really mind the eggy taste much, but I would have liked a lighter, fluffier texture. It’s not a bad recipe, just not what I expected. I did enjoy mine! Not sure if I’ll make it again or not. I used the recipe for the white chocolate frosting…which I LOVE!

Kelsi — September 13, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Hey there! I tweaked this recipe to make it vegan and they turned out pretty well. If you want to, you can check out my changes here: http://www.kelsidoeshair.com/?p=1806

Alli — September 13, 2011 @ 9:08 pm

LOVE this recipe! First off, they are delicious. Secondly, it is so nice to have a desert recipe for two when I live by myself and am all the time cooking for one or two. However, when i first made these I could not achieve the “perfect cupcake look” but I actually just finished making them without using the milk, and they turned out looking great and tasting just as wonderful! I think the addition of a tiny amount of milk would enhance them a little, but either way there is no way to mess these cupcakes up!

Janine — September 21, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

I absolutely LOOOOVEEE this! Thank you so much! I don’t think it’s a matter of being lazy I just sometimes want 1 cupcake or 1 cupcake for me and 1 for the boyfriend!
    Thanks!!!!
    J.

Lilly — September 24, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

Please tell me how to make that delicious frosting!!

bridget — September 24, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

I haven’t made these yet, but certainly will be doing so soon. I’m wondering if everyone’s “eggy taste” issue is because they used a whole egg and not just the egg white? Otherwise I really don’t see how an egg white could effect the flavor that much.

Heather — September 26, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

Made these tonight as a snack, they were really good! A little eggy, but moist and dense. They didn’t brown up much, but were still cooked through. Topped with some left over cream cheese frosting. These were waaaaaay better than any boxed mix!

April — September 30, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

these were so yummy! i adjusted the vanilla by a hair and added a few mini chocolate chips but they were definitely delish! thanks for the great idea!

angela — October 3, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

sooo im about to make these…what if i wanna make more than 2?

• Jessica — October 3rd, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

you can double after – anything after that i would just use another vanilla cupcake recipe!

Sarah — October 8, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Thanks for the recipe! Just made them and they look great! Can’t wait to try them! I made two batches, one of which I altered a little bit and made them chocolate. Little less vanilla, 2 teaspoons of chocolate powder, and an extra 1/2 tablespoon of milk to balance out the extra thickness from the chocolate. Perfect for a friend on myself on our girls night :) thanks!

1 3 4 5 6 7 10