After last weekend, I had a ton of Oreos to use up. I should mentioned that this was after I baked a second batch of those Oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies. Oops.

I might have bought two packages. Oops again.

This may come as a surprise: I don’t really like to eat just plain Oreos. But I really love anything cookies and cream flavored. And I also have I-buy-too-many-things-that-I-don’t-need-syndrome. Now you know all about me.

I’ve already made cupcakes and brownies, but I couldn’t get a crunchy cookies and cream bar out of my mind. Especially since those double fudge Oreo crunch cookies. Lots of Oreos going on here for someone that doesn’t love them, right? After these bars, I might love them a little more.

It’s like the better-than-crack brownies and a bag of Oreos had a love child.

With Mr. How Sweet away, I figured this would be a great treat to make since it was probably something he wouldn’t eat. But I guess I was wrong, because after he came home yesterday he ate half the pan. Sometimes he surprises me.

The pictures say it all – these brownies are rich and chocolaty. And crunchy. And chewy. And lovely.

If you are one of those crazy people who doesn’t love sugary sweet, so-good-your-teeth-hurt desserts, then these probably aren’t for you. I forgive you. Make some of this cake instead.

Triple Layer Cookies and Cream Crunch Bars

makes 9-12 bars

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons cocoa powder

2 cups chocolate chips

1/2 cup peanut butter

20 Oreo cookies

Preheat oven to 350.

Butter and flour an 8 x 8 cake pan.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then add remaining teaspoon of vanilla. Add in cocoa powder and mix until combined. Add flour and salt, mixing well until batter is smooth and comes together. Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.

Spread in the 8 x 8 pan. Sink 9 Oreo cookies into the batter and press gently. Bake for 25-30 minutes. While baking, crush the remaining Oreos in a ziplock bag. When brownies are finished baking, remove from the oven and sprinkle with 1/2 cup chocolate chips and crush Oreos. Place back in the oven for about 2-3 minutes. During this time, melt remaining chocolate chips and peanut butter together. Remove brownies from oven and pour melted chocolate mixture over top, spreading with a spatula. Make sure chocolate gets down into the Oreo crevices, as it is the “glue” that holds the top to the bottom. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

Let brownies sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before cutting. Don’t worry if some of the cookies spill out from the middle or the top cracks – they are still delicious!

If you need me, I’ll be in a sugar coma.

268 Responses to “Triple Layer Cookies and Cream Crunch Bars.”

Chloe — March 29, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

ooohhh I am making these tonight!!!!

iheartspandex — March 30, 2011 @ 1:15 am

OMG I think I am in love with this recipe and your blog!! How Sweet Eats…is my new favorite thing!

Caroline — March 31, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

those look like freaking heaven

Dessert Darling — March 31, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

Holy Decadent Deliciousness!

I can’t believe I Just discovered your blog! I love it, Love you! Love your voice. We have Very similar philosophies and sensibilities.
    I critique and review desserts at DessertDarling.com, I hope you come visit!

Like, this bacon, cheddar corn-cake with vanilla frosting…? I die.

Liz — April 2, 2011 @ 3:49 am

Been following this blog for a little while and this is the first recipe I actually made. This is excellent. Super sweet and one bar (1/9) will def satisfy you. I was a little skeptical of the PB with oreos…seems like an odd combination, but it was great! Great recipe for a chocoholic!

Robyn — April 5, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

I made these Bars and they are good! They remind my hubby of a twix bar. The PB and chocolate melted top layer is yummy.

They took longer to bake than called for. Next time I think I will use a 9X9 pan v. 8X8.

Ilana — April 8, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

just made these for a birthday tomorrow- how should i store them overnight?? back in the fridge?

• Jessica — April 8th, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

Yes! Let me know how they are. :)

Sydney — April 14, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Oh my goodness. My friend & I made these the other night and of course we couldn’t wait to refrigerate them, so we put them in the freezer (very briefly) and then just jumped in and enjoyed the melted goodness :) This was definitely one of those recipes where someone has cut a brownie, then you walk by & see that the edges aren’t totally straight so you have no choice but to “trim” (and eat) the edges until they ARE straight….then once that happens, you just have to “accidentally” break off a piece that looks out of place, until you’ve eaten half the pan. It’s a problem. :)

Claire — April 14, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

I just died and went to Oreo cookie heaven. The only problem with having Oreos around is that I NEVER have any left over. woops?

Heather — April 21, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

Wow! I am making these for sure!

Jenna — May 3, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

This recipe looks amazing, and I would love to make it! Only issue is that, for some ungodly reason, my fiance has an aversion to peanut butter (I still love him, though). I’m thinking about trying to substitute Nutella instead, but I’m not sure if that would work. What do you think?

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 6:42 am

You could try nutella or just leave out the peanut butter and use more chocolate.

Leena — May 4, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

This looks so good that I can smell the chocolaty taste of this…(no freakin joke about actually smellin’ it) Thanks for sharing the great recipe…I have 2 bars of oreo at home that might just hit the oven soon….:)

LisaandGreg — June 16, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

My fiancee and I just made these (they are cooling as we speak) and he suggested that I do a challenge that would involve making all of your recipes and blogging about it, like in the movie “Julie & Julia”, because you are that awesome :)
    Keep up the great blogging!

Food for Todd — June 25, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

These are amazingggggg!!! A great excuse to purchase oreos!

Jenny — July 11, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Can one use your ooey-gooey brownie recipe as the base for this? Or, does it only work with the above brownie recipe? I like the architecture of the ooey-gooey one due to the four eggs–way chewy.

• Jessica — July 11th, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

I think you probably could. That brownie layer listed is actually an adaptation of my gooey brownie recipe. I personally haven’t tried the recipe is this combo but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Katya — July 12, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

I made these with chocolate-creme Oreos!

Kate — August 7, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

These were delicious! I made them last night and sampled them this morning. They are very rich, though… one tiny piece is enough, since they are so thick! Love the chocolate/peanut butter top layer. :-)

Nicole — August 31, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

Is this recipe supposed to have 1 tsp of vanilla or two? The ingredients say 2, but the instructions say “add remaining teaspoon of vanilla” when I don’t see the first ever being added. Copy/paste error?

• Kim — July 7th, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

This part has me really confused also! I just came on to see if anyone else noticed im about to make them and I think I’m just going to use 1

Meg — February 19, 2012 @ 9:57 pm

If I were just making a plain brownie from this recipe (the mixture looks soooo delish!!) would I have to make any adjustments to the butter sugar etc??? Thanks!

Kenzie — April 19, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

Wooooo…..

Claire — August 14, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

it’s gluttony, but i’m still tempted

Jenny — August 23, 2012 @ 10:22 pm

My son will be beside himself when I present these to him. He shares my love for chocolate. I love reading what you write, too. It makes me smile. : )

Vickii — August 25, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

I made these and they were wonderful! Thank you for a great recipe! Check them out as well as my high praise of you – it’s very true :) http://vickii-ibakethereforeiam.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/triple-layer-oreo-brownie-peanut-butter.html

Alexandria — August 29, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

LOVE this recipe! I am going to try it but had one question… In the pictures, it looks like the chips are peanut butter, is that true or what kind of chocolate chips were used? Thanks in advance for your time!

bakeca udine — July 30, 2013 @ 6:55 am

waw…that looks delicious

1. Pingback: Tonight. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: FAITH, FITNESS, FUN » Blog Archive » A Doozy Of A Workout & FFF Features

3. Pingback: Saturday Surfing | |

4. Pingback: Triple Layer Oreo Cookie & Cream Crunch Bars | Foodbeast Triple Layer Oreo Cookie & Cream Crunch Bars | The Premiere Food News Resource

5. Pingback: homemade meal project | pomelo sunshine

6. Pingback: A Wedded Weekend | Foodosaurus Rex

7. Pingback: Oreo brownies and the Deception of Sunshine | Something More

8. Pingback: the cure for the BTS blues « inquiring chef

9. Pingback: triple layer cookies & cream crunch bars « Lofty Appetite

10. Pingback: I’m Diggin’… | Heather's Dish

11. Pingback: Brain Dead | Want.Believe.Achieve

12. Pingback: Eat on the Run » Blog Archive » Surprises!

13. Pingback: FAITH, FITNESS, FUN » Blog Archive » Sick Tidbits

14. Pingback: Well this is awkward… | A Casual Obsession

15. Pingback: Update: Week 25 « Annie and a Baby!

16. Pingback: Girls Weekend | Living Well

17. Pingback: Oops… « snarkysundry

18. Pingback: I could die tomorrow | A Casual Obsession

19. Pingback: How To Make Triple Layer Cookies | UniqueDaily.com

20. Pingback: FAITH, FITNESS, FUN » Blog Archive » Decisions Decisions

21. Pingback: FAITH, FITNESS, FUN » Blog Archive » What I Have Learned About Blogging

22. Pingback: Cookie Bars and Mud Excitement | You Don't Know Until You Tri!

23. Pingback: Brain Fuel and Annoucement! | Fitnessnfoodiegirl's Blog

24. Pingback: Dirty Girl | You Don't Know Until You Tri!

25. Pingback: Done with School Forever! | Peanut Buttah Girl

26. Pingback: Girls date without ice cream.

27. Pingback: Recipes in Review «

28. Pingback: Best Brownie Ever « gregandlisa

29. Pingback: Triple Layer Cookies and Cream Crunch Bars « Beautiful Disasters

30. Pingback: Tuesday « k + v

31. Pingback: Brownies and Chocolate and Cookies, Oh My! | little girl, BIG TASTE.

32. Pingback: homemade meal project

33. Pingback: sugar coma. | ohshineon

34. Pingback: Married up with Wine » This Is Important

35. Pingback: Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream « Nomad Baking

36. Pingback: Triple Layer Oreo Peanut Butter Brownies « Pasta And Stuff

37. Pingback: apollina’s kitchen: treats for halloween! (or anytime at all) | TheYouFinder: A Style and Inspiration Blog from Washington DC

38. Pingback: Triple Chocolate Brownie Bars