Happy National Pancake Day!

Usually I attempt to stay away from trends, but I think we can all agree that I have a thing for pancakes. I practically need pancake rehab. Just call me the Charlie Sheen of pancakes.

I can’t stay away.

This is quite obvious considering I’ve shared red velvet pancakes, cake batter pancakes, chocolate french silk pancakes, white chocolate coconut pancakes, whole wheat chocolate peanut butter pancakes, peanut butter and jelly pancakes, apple bacon pancakes… just to name a few. Somebody stop me!
But really… don’t.

Perhaps I just should have prepared a post dedication to pancakes?

Nah. I couldn’t help but share another one.
The highlight of these pancakes are the cherries – the frozen cherries to be exact.

If you’ve been following along for a while, you know I adore cherries. There is a fairly short window of time where I can find good ones in Pittsburgh, and when they happen to be available I tend to buy $18 worth. Which only yields about two snacks of cherries. I like my cherries.
I always happen to have frozen cherries on hand since they are one of my favorite things to throw in smoothies. I couldn’t think of a more delicious way to incorporate fruit in breakfast, especially since the cherries burst with juice when warmed.

And I can’t forget my beloved vanilla beans.

Vanilla beans that I scour the Earth (okay…errr, Pittsburgh) for. Vanilla beans that I inevitably use in a new recipe (that fails) almost once a month, never learning my lesson, even when I’m dumping $14 vanilla beans into the trash. Vanilla beans that Mr. How Sweet claims he “doesn’t like,” since vanilla beans taste so much different from vanilla.
I would sell my soul for vanilla beans.

Not only did I add vanilla beans and cherry bits to the pancakes, but I stuffed the pancakes with a warm cherry mix, then drizzled them with cherry juice and a vanilla bean glaze. You know I’m all about the glazes.
And I have to admit – I actually prefer my pancakes made with whole wheat pastry flour. I find them to be more hearty, still fluffy but a bit chewy, and overall I really can’t tell a great difference. Plus, whole wheat = totally healthy! Lots of pancakes for me.

[print_this]

Whole Wheat Cherry Vanilla Bean Pancakes

serves 3-4

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs, well beaten

1 3/4 cups milk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

contents of 1/2 vanilla bean

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

2 cups frozen cherries

Stir together dry ingredients. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Fold in vanilla beans. Mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Chop 1 cup of cherries into fine pieces. You can either stir them into the batter (the pancakes will turn reddish-blue in color) or drop the cherries in the batter while each pancake is cooking. To cook, heat a griddle or skillet on medium heat and pout in 1/4 cup of batter. Flip once tiny bubbles appear on the pancakes.

Heat remaining cup of cherries in a saucepan or in the microwave. Mash with a fork and stuff in between pancakes and drizzle juice on top. Top with vanilla glaze.
Vanilla Bean Glaze

1 heaping cup of powdered sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 cup heavy cream

2 1/2 tablespoons milk

contents of 1/2 vanilla bean

Add sugar to bowl and stir in heavy cream and vanilla until mixture resembles a thick batter. Add milk one tablespoon at a time, stirring until smooth – about 3-5 full minutes. Mixture may look lumpy at first but just continue to stir and it will come together. Fold in vanilla beans and pour over pancakes.

[/print_this]

What would your perfect pancake be?

146 Responses to “Whole Wheat Cherry Vanilla Bean Pancakes.”

Mehr — March 2, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

OMG! thats all i can say….im not even a fan of cherries but this recipe is seriously making me crave them with pancakes….this looks amazing! I dont know how you do it but u manage to create the most amazing flavour combos…..I HAVE TO TRY THIS and your cake batter version because you can never go wrong with cake!

Melissa Daams aka Cute Kitty Punk — March 2, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

wow, those look amazing.
    Well, we went to a dutch pancake house for dinner… and i ordered a harty-savory pancake. It had tomatoes, cheese (probably gouda), bacon and onions in it.

It was good. Although, next time I’d probably leave the tomatoes out.

I always like to serve it with a good thick dutch syrup – what they call “stroop”

I recommend visiting a pancake house – “pannekoekhuis” if you ever visit the Netherlands.

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:41 pm

That sounds delicious!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 3, 2011 @ 3:27 am

Oh, I love pairing cherry and vanilla. And, I also love making whole wheat pancakes. Love these!

becky — March 3, 2011 @ 7:04 am

omg jessica! i do not know how you had the self-restraint long enough to get all of these great shots!!!! i have never heard of any pancake with frozen cherries and a vanilla bean glaze. this looks so amazing. kinda like a cherry turnover on steroids?! i would read this on the eve of my 3rd day of sugar detox….shoot! i will have to file your recipe away for the future!!! :)

Lee @ Fit Foodie Finds — March 3, 2011 @ 11:29 pm

How’d I miss this post! asdlkjfasfdl;asdf! I. Want. In. My. Belly!

Amanda — March 9, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

I made these last night for dinner- Yum! I didn’t have frozen cherries, so I used TJ’s Very Cherry Berry Blend. I thought they might be too sweet for dinner, but the fruit had a tartness to it that cut through the sweetness of the glaze. I’ll definitely be making these again! Now, what to do with the extra glaze…

Tay @ tinnitus miracle system — March 14, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

These look wonderful. I’m a “cherry addict”. I could eat cherries 3 times a day. Now maybe I will!

Amanda — March 15, 2011 @ 11:46 am

I made these last week, and they were delicious! I didn’t have frozen cherries, so I used TJ’s Very Cherry Berry Blend. Yum. These were so good, I made them again for breakfast on Saturday. I have some left over glaze, and I’ve been putting it on a chocolate pound cake. This is a definite keeper.

Oh, and I’m becoming obsessed with pancakes, too, so keep the creative pancake ideas coming! ;o)

Aleacia — August 3, 2011 @ 10:22 am

These were super yummy! Thanks for sharing all your recipes!

Herbert Colesar — July 6, 2013 @ 6:26 am

Tinnitus can arise in any of the four sections of the ear: the outer ear, the middle ear, the inner ear, and the brain. *.;: