Here’s what I know about pancakes.

They taste good with cherries.

Apples and bacon too.

They make slept-in mornings with toothpaste stains eight thousand times better.

They are what my dad stuffs with blueberries.

They probably wouldn’t be good with things like broccoli or beans… because that’s just weird.

Oh! But they do taste good with potatoes. Hmmpf.

They taste extra excellent with ice cream on top.

Even better steaming hot with oozing butter… then ice cream on top. Plus a sweet strawberry.

They save marriages. Mine included.

They aren’t the best choice for breakfast when you want to wear a string bikini.

They often slip you into a welcoming food coma that causes you to desk nap.

They are darn good.

They are cake. For breakfast. Win. Obvious win.

Seriously. Cakes for breakfast?! Whoever decided this was genius.

Now hold your horses. I’m well aware that banana pancakes are not a new development. I mean, according to my iTunes, Jack Johnson wants to make them for me all the time. He’s super sweet.

I feel bad declining him day after day.

But it’s the combination… the bananas, the brown sugar, the maple vanilla glaze… that has etched this breakfast into the rotation at our house. This is a thing. A big thing. It’s like… banana bread… in pancake form. For reals.

There is a reason this is huge. When I make banana bread, it mysteriously disappears within 24 hours. Sometimes it even disappears before the other member of this household arrives home from a long, strenuous day at work. I have no idea how. Really I don’t. It just… evaporates into thin air. I think it might have something to do with the “skinny slice rule.” You know… skinny slices don’t count. Yeah.

So now people can eat banana bread without stuffing an entire loaf down their face. I find this to be extremely beneficial. And satisfying.

Whole Wheat Brown Sugar Banana Bread Pancakes

makes 12 pancakes

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

2/3 cup milk

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

3 large ripe bananas, mashed

2 tablespoons butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Measure out the milk and add the vanilla extract to it. Whisk together the dry ingredients and add in milk and vanilla, stirring to combine. The mixture will still be dry. Add in mashed bananas and mix. Add in melted butter and stir until batter is somewhat smooth.

Heat a skillet or grilled on medium heat. Using a 1/3 cup measure, spoon batter into rounds and cook until bubbles form on top – about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for a minute or two more. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with butter and syrup, or the vanilla maple glaze.

Note: if you don’t have/can’t find whole wheat pastry flour, use 1 cup of regular whole wheat and 1 cup of all purpose. Or 2 cups of all purpose.

Vanilla Maple Glaze

1/2 cup maple syrup

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. Pour over pancakes.

Want to come for breakfast? You can bring the bacon.

415 Responses to “Whole Wheat Brown Sugar Banana Bread Pancakes.”

Alicia — January 4, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

I tried these a few weeks ago. The batter was much more like muffin batter than pancake batter. I added about a tablespoon of milk just to try to thin it out a little. You really have to spread the batter around in order to get them to cook evenly.

I didn’t think they were too bad, but the rest of the crew didn’t like them. I probably won’t make this recipe again.

Ruby — January 21, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

I try this recipe today and nobody wanted to even finish one pancake :(
    i will try baking muffins and see if they will eat them that way.
    Batter way to thick, no good taste. not fluffy like the picture. wont try again.

• Jena — January 20th, 2014 @ 7:47 pm

Same for me. Threw them all out. :(

None — January 23, 2013 @ 8:31 pm

Something is definitely wrong with this recipe! I followed it exactly and the batter could barely be stirred it was so thick. NOT pancake consistency. I ended up nearly doubling the milk to even make it spreadable in the pan to turn into a pancake. Very disappointed and irritate I used my last 3 bananas trying this recipe. Wish I would have read the comments first!

Grace — January 27, 2013 @ 11:50 am

These pancakes were lovely! To those who were having issues, I do have a few suggestions. I used half whole wheat and half white regular flour, not pastry, which will make the batter somewhat tougher. However, with wheat flour of any kind it is important to let the batter sit for at least five minutes before using, as wheat takes longer to absorb liquids. After I added the bananas I let the batter sit for about 8 minutes, and then another five minutes after adding the butter. The result will be soft and tender, as long as you don’t overcook them (I found that 2 minutes on one side and 1 minute on the other was ideal); and if they’re a little underdone, there’s no egg, so no harm done!

Julie — January 28, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

We LOVED these! I had to add a little more milk to the batter at the end (less than 1/4 of a cup). They are not a traditional pancake, but we really loved them for what they were – moist, hearty and flavorful. Totally satisfied with just two pancakes which is not normal for me. :) The leftovers were good reheated and even cold straight out of the fridge. It is almost like a muffin pancake, but that’s why I think the name “banana bread pancake” is appropriate. For what it’s worth, I made my own brown sugar out of white sugar and some molasses because I was out of regular brown. I doubt that made a huge difference, but maybe a small positive one. We will definitely make these again!!

Amanda — January 30, 2013 @ 2:07 am

I made these last week and they are seriously amazing! I was even able to refrigerate the batter to use again the next day and they were still great! Thank you for the great recipe! :)

Chris — February 3, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

Dear original poster of this recipe who has never made this recipe in his or her life,

My girlfriend and I used our Sunday morning to make these banana bread pancakes. Our day was day was immediately ruined. According to the laws of chemistry and physics, it is against all known principles of reality that bubbles could possibly rise through a batter so thick. However, the whole wheat English muffins which are pecuiliarly high in potassium will make a fantastic treat for someone who desires anything EXCEPT pancakes OR banana bread OR anything remotely similar. PS – You disappoint me.
    Chris

• Terry H — May 25th, 2013 @ 11:18 am

I followed the recipe exactly and mine turned out perfect. The batter was so thick that I had to spread it out in the skillet, but I did get a few bubbles rise to the surface, and they rose nicely. Maybe your baking powder is old? I don’t know, but it worked for me.

• Kyle — January 8th, 2014 @ 4:25 pm

I cannot believe how much people like you & several others on here whine! It is a freaking recipe, BOO-HOO it didn’t work out for you?! Your life must be over now, right?

Move on & make something else. Jeez.

I made them yesterday, and while thicker than a normal pancake, it didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out how to cook them properly. They were delicious this morning!

Heather — February 3, 2013 @ 11:56 pm

Definitely need more liquid and an egg. I added approx. an extra 1/3cup milk and one egg. They were delish and were nice and moist despite 100% whole wheat. Also in a pinch sub 1/3 cup applesauce for 1 banana.

Mia — February 13, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

Overall, I enjoyed this recipe. Just the right amount of sweetness, I didn’t use the glaze at all.

I used white instead of whole wheat flour, and I added an egg at the very end.

They were thick and fluffy, and looked very much like the photos above.

Sarah — February 16, 2013 @ 11:22 am

I wanted to make these gluten free, so I used 1/2 organic coconut flour, 1/2 brown rice flour. I wanted to add even more nutrients so I added 1/4 cup raw organic oats, 1/4 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut, and 2 eggs for protein. I didn’t have any cow milk so I used coconut milk… I had to triple the amount of milk called for (not surprised, but I probably should’ve quadrupled the milk quantity!! ;) it was still über thick! I figured a way to get them flat(er) and round: roll into a ball and flatten in my hands like hamburger patties-lol
    You just have to get out of your head the expectation of “pancakes” they were a little burned on the outside, and underdone on the inside… But, my children loved them, asked for more, and I think I’ll be full till dinner after two pancakes thank you very much! :)

Shell — February 17, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

Tried these this morning to great reviews. I did have to make a couple of changes, added double the milk (just kept pouring til the consistency seemed right) and I added 1 egg along with the milk. They were flavorful and moist…will be making again thanks!

Brandy — February 25, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

I have made these a couple of times and my family is crazy about them. Yes, they are thicker than traditional pancakes and may take a little modification to your own liking, but the taste is awesome. I just wanted to add that I had some leftover glaze (because for some reason, my family doesn’t love that), and I poured it over a loaf of banana bread that I made also, and it was amazing – highly recommend!! Think I’ll be using the glaze for all kinds of quick breads!

Kayla — March 3, 2013 @ 11:00 am

I just made these and despite what the comments are saying, i actually enjoyed them. My family did too!! However, i didn’t read carefully and only used regular whole wheat flour. They still turned out well! If I make them again I’ll make sure to have the flour suggested or substitute with all purpose. I also added extra milk that was suggested.
    Overall, I think these were worth a try!

Yvearl — March 6, 2013 @ 11:00 pm

Yikes! I could do some major damage to a stack of those bad boys!! They look d-lish!!!

Sharon — March 10, 2013 @ 9:05 pm

My family enjoyed them…I even used 2%milk instead of whole milk. My daughter wanted to know when the next batch would be ready. It was thick to stir and thick to pour, but I felt it was worth the extra muscle stirring it. It was good with and without the icing.

Jen — March 12, 2013 @ 8:52 am

I added a lot more milk to thin the batter out…maybe another banana or applesauce would help. Next time I would use all white flour to see if it would help. My boys did eat them. (with a lot of syrup) Not sure if I am a fan, but will give them another try

Jenni C — April 4, 2013 @ 10:44 am

Despite some of the rather RUDE comments you have received, and bad reviews on your recipe I am going to try these. In my opinion you took the initiative to create your own pancake and it was something you liked…if no on else likes it, who cares, they should try to do it themselves from now on instead of bashing others. I will however use AP Flour instead, because that’s what I always use..never tried WW Flour or Pastry Flour yet…I’m still learning the ropes of making things from scratch. I’ll probably make these in a week or 2, and then I will come back with my review for you. Can’t wait to try that glaze too!

Jen — April 7, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Must add 1 egg and double to triple the amount of milk! If you don’t they will not look or taste like a pancake.

• Terry H — May 25th, 2013 @ 11:14 am

I disagree. I followed the directions exactly and they turned out perfect.

LisaP — April 7, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Well, who knew pancakes could be so controversial? Dang. I made these this morning, and we loved them! Contrary to the belief of many commenters, egg is not necessary. Fine, but not needed. I was a little worried after I added the milk and ended with a dry paste. Eeep! I just continued on and was very pleasantly surprised at how nicely it came together in the end! I did choose to add a couple extra Tbsp of milk but I think they were fine anyway, honestly. I used AP flour with a good slug of ground golden flax because that’s what I had at hand. THESE WERE DELICIOUS AND JUST AS BEAUTIFUL AS PICTURED! So great! I surprised myself by loving the glaze …I thought I didn’t like maple. Great combo, and a great recipe. Thank you, and yay Pinterest!

Brianne — April 8, 2013 @ 7:28 am

I just finished off making and eating these for breakfast….I didn’t love them ,but I didn’t hate them either. They were a little too thick, took way too long to cook, and they just tasted alright. I definitely will not be making them again. I did add more milk, because the batter was way too thick. I’m glad some of you enjoy these, but I was pretty disappointed.

Jo Ann Singer — April 20, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

Agree! More liquid and a large egg. Makes texture much better and lighter. eally good with maple vanilla glaze!

Brenna — April 20, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

I wish I would have read the coments before making this recipe.
    It tasted like gooey flour disapointing:(

Terry H — May 25, 2013 @ 11:10 am

Made these for breakfast today. They were delicious. After my husband ate one, he said they needed chocolate, as I always put chocolate chips in my banana bread. So for the remaining pancakes I added mini chocolate chips to the batter. I used the vanilla maple glaze too, and they were really sweet, but really good. Thanks for the recipe. And I used 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white flour. So good.

Michelle R. — June 2, 2013 @ 8:42 am

If you are looking for a light fluffy white flour pancake then these are not it. If you are looking for a hearty breakfast with good flavor give these a try! The texture of these pancakes are a bit different and they were still a bit too moist in the middle after cooking but everyone in my family LOVED them. I used half whole wheat flour and half whole wheat graham flour. I also used kefir instead of milk and added extra and used coconut oil instead of butter.

Jason — June 9, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

This recipe is HORRIBLE! Seriously, if almost every poster has to comment on how they adjusted the ingredients and added ingredients to make the recipe usable then the recipe is total crap. THANK YOU for wasting my time and ingredients trying to make this recipe work. WHY EVEN POST A RECIPE THAT DOESN”T WORK AND IS GARBAGE??!!

Jason — June 9, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

THIS RECIPE IS GARBAGE! Almost every comment is about how someone had to adjust the ingredients or add ingredients to even make the recipe usable. Thank you for wasting my time and ingredients on this horrible recipe. WHY EVEN POST A RECIPE THAT DOESN’T WORK AND IS CRAP??!!

Danielle — July 26, 2013 @ 10:40 am

My kids and I loved them!! I gave the kids the glaze but changed it up for mine. I spread a little almond butter on mine :) YUMMY!!

Patsy — August 8, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

I was wondering if you can use self rising flour and is the batter ok for using in a waffle iron? These sound really great and I wanna try them as soon as possible. Please email the answer if possible, thanks.

Penny — August 14, 2013 @ 2:02 am

These were really good! After reading the comments, I used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 all purpose and I also used 1 cup milk. My whole family loved them! Thanks!

Lynne — September 1, 2013 @ 9:09 am

I normally don’t post comments, but because there were so many negative reviews on this recipe, I felt I needed to post a comment. I’m not sure what people are doing wrong, but I’ve followed this recipe exactly the 3 different times we’ve made these pancakes and they’re DELICIOUS! I do agree with people that they’re not a light, fluffy pancake – so if that’s what you’re looking for, don’t make this recipe. But if you’re looking for a pancake with banana bread consistency and flavor, this is a winner! And the glaze just puts it over the top. Our whole family (adults AND kids) love this one and it will continue to make an appearance on our weekend breakfast menu. Thanks, Jessica, for sharing this one…don’t let the negative comments deter you. :)

Jenn — September 22, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

Made them as directed, (1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 AP flour as suggested) the entire batch was gobbled by the kids in less than 10 min! Thanks for the idea!

LEster — September 28, 2013 @ 8:14 am

These were the worst pancakes I have ever made.

Carrie — October 20, 2013 @ 3:33 pm

At my son’s request, I am working my way down a long list of pancakes that are new to us. Today we had the Whole Wheat Brown Sugar Banana Bread Pancakes. After reading the comments, I was interested in trying them out for myself. After looking carefully at the criticisms, I was careful on a couple of items. First, the recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour, which is different from whole wheat flour as it is higher in carbs, hence may lend a different (perhaps sweeter) flavor than regular whole wheat flour. It is also more finely ground and absorbs liquids faster. Secondly, I made sure I had 3 large, ripe bananas. The bananas are much of the liquid in the recipe, and having very large, very ripe bananas makes any banana recipe more moist. I have a banana bread recipe from Hawaii that takes 12 bananas. The success of the bread is dependent on the ripeness of the bananas…the mushier the better.

We liked the pancakes. They were quite tasty, especially with butter and the glaze. They are heavier than white flour pancakes, but this October morning we had dark skies with a cold mix of snow and rain. A glass of fresh apple cider and a few rich banana bread pancakes was a lovely start to the day.

Susan — October 27, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

I made these pancakes after finding the recipe on Pinterest. I used Better for Bread flour, skim milk, added 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and used applesauce instead of butter. The recipe made 9 pancakes using a 1/3 cup measure. They turned out looking just like the photo, minus the topping. I made these to freeze for my “quick and healthy” work breakfasts. Of course I sampled one and these are great. They really are just like banana bread, but a pancake. It is more substantial than just a pancake and low enough in calories (277) to keep me on track AND let me spread some peanut butter on them. Thank You!

Mayme — December 21, 2013 @ 8:32 am

Followed your recipe precisely & it was a major hit with my family!! Absolutely delicious, filling, & fun! And btw we LOVE how thick they are! Best part about em! Thank you for the recipe :)

Mayme — December 21, 2013 @ 8:34 am

LOVE LOVE! Major hit with my whole family! Fun, filling, delicious. Btw we love how thick they are, best part about em! Thank you for the recipe :)

Supermegabeth — January 13, 2014 @ 10:51 pm

These are the best pancakes ever! They are thick, fluffy, om nom nom, and my kids loved them!

Amanda — January 18, 2014 @ 2:42 pm

I made these today… Went down so well! I added an egg as I didn’t have any bicarb (I’m on vacation) and used some pancake mix flour in stead of whole wheat… Cos that’s all I had. But followed the rest exactly… They were so good. You have to spread the batter in the pan, and I used a pretty cheap nonstick pan that’s here (not my fancy tefal I have at home) but they did ok, and it was a great way to use up the last 3 bananas. Seriously recommend them. I’ve made the whole wheat version at home and never had a problem…

Chach — February 25, 2014 @ 8:09 pm

I tried this recipe and when I saw that it was turning into an interesting pizza dough, I found the opportunity to add about a cup and a half of almond milk and it I think that it was delicious! My wife suggested that I had I added the correct amount of banana slush, the batter would have been the right consistency.
    Thank you! Dinner disguised as Breakfast was a success!

Vera — March 17, 2014 @ 10:02 am

In order to balance out the great amount of negative comments I would just like to say that they turned out delicious!
    My family loved them and even the banana-enemies liked them.

I added about 1 1/2 cups of milk because I only used 2 not-so-ripe bananas and half whole white, half wheat flour.
    And all the comments about how its consistency was muffin-dough-like brought up the idea of using the left-over dough to make delicious muffins! I didn’t change a thing, and they turned out to be so good. I guess you could add an egg when making the dough to make them a bit fluffier or you could just change the milk to soy milk and get a vegan recipe. ;)

All in all – very good recipe!

Jes — March 22, 2014 @ 10:30 am

Made these with bisquik. They were delicious!

Old Kitchen Hand — July 7, 2014 @ 11:51 pm

Getting ready to make them now. Our home is gluten free (for medical reasons) so goting to use Pamela’s Baking Mix (great stuff that). Always have good results with it.
    About the negative feedback here….why so harsh ? Have any of you spent any time in the kitchen before ? If after one pancake you don’t like just tinker with it then. I bet my grandkids sleeping in the other room are going totear them up in the morning. Thnx for the recipe and really looking forwardto that icing MMMMMmmmmm !!

Trista — July 8, 2014 @ 10:48 am

These pancakes were delicious. Okay the recipe needed tweaking. Big deal double up on the milk and add an egg. Such is life people! Funny how upset people get over a recipe!

Kristi Woody — July 19, 2014 @ 9:38 am

I loved these! I cut the recipe in half since it’s just me at home today. I was expecting a thicker, bread-like consistency and that’s what I got! I added some mini chocolate chips because I LOVE CHOCOLATE! :)

Thanks for posting! I will definitely be making these again. I feel like my extra one will be good for breakfast tomorrow too.

1 4 5 6

1. Pingback: Pancake Tuesdays!

2. Pingback: protein packed pancakes | head first health

3. Pingback: Bananas for Banana Bread | Luv What You Do

4. Pingback: Banana Bread Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup - A Kitchen Addiction

5. Pingback: Amazing Banana Bread Pancakes | Chef in Training

6. Pingback: Running Wild: Friday Favorites

7. Pingback: Food Holiday: International Pancake Day & Pancake Week - Rate the Plate Utah

8. Pingback: Pancakes Make The World Go Round (#8-11) | Barbells N' Baking

9. Pingback: My Favorite Recipes | theredheadedexplorer

10. Pingback: 7 Tasty Homemade Pancake Recipes for the Family | Backyard Ocean

11. Pingback: Tuesday Tastes: The Timeless Pancake – Apples&Abdominals

12. Pingback: Today is Pancake Day! | The Broccoli Blog

13. Pingback: Stop everything you’re doing, it’s national pancake day. | Daily Disposition

14. Pingback: Banana Bread Pancakes | The Recipe Critic

15. Pingback: Banana Bread Pancakes with Nutella and Strawberries | Noisette

16. Pingback: Bacon Banana Pancakes | maryannekavjian

17. Pingback: Pancakes Roundup | Jonesin' For Taste

18. Pingback: Spiced Pear Pancakes | Never Enough Thyme — Never Enough Thyme - Recipes with a slight southern accent.