I made marshmallows with beer.

Not water. But beer.

That stuff you drank in college. That stuff you might drink now. That stuff your grandpa chugged while sitting on his porch steps. That stuff that Lindsay Lohan shouldn’t touch. I don’t think we need to worry about that though. Vodka in plastic water bottles seems more like her thing.

Freaking? No need to freak. There shan’t be any freaking about beer marshmallows. Especially if you don’t like beer.

See… beer marshmallows are kind of like beer braised short ribs. Or beer battered fish. Or beer margaritas. Without the ribs, the fish and the tequila. And all the bones and limes and stuff. Not a beer lover? Beer marshmallows can still totally be your thing. There’s a lot of love to give. Beer just enhances the regular fabulousness of food. Know this.

I didn’t really think I liked beer either. But as it turns out… I do like it. I kinda love it. Perhaps it comes with age, which would make sense since I’m getting old and finding subsequent wrinkles? Or maybe I’m just trying to find a way to consume more calories than I already do? <—- Yeah… that.

So what do beer marshmallows taste like?

They melt in your mouth like fluffy vanilla pillows with a slight hint of… wait for it… beer. Some may say they taste like college. You know… sort of how college tastes? Every time I kiss Mr. How Sweet after he drinks beer I think he tastes like college. But that’s just what I hear… from other people… because I have no idea what the correlation is between boys + kissing + college + beer. You know. And yeah, married people kiss. Sometimes.

Oh, hi beer marshmallows!

You’re cute.

I definitely coated these marshmallows in both milk chocolate and dark chocolate. And you can barely tell. How annoying. I wasted like 75 minutes of my life last night alternately dipping uniformly sized mallows into deep pools of milk and dark happiness. Had I known they would all look the same, I simply would have dunked them all in creamy milk chocolate since I believe the sun rises and sets on the unpure, milk-powdered solid. Whatev. I’m an equal opportunity marshmallowist.

Annnnd just in case you didn’t notice, there are a billion crumbles of salty pretzel on top.

Heaven? I think so too.

I’m pretty much in love with these things.

I want to make another batch – uncut this time- to lay my head down on at night.

That would be a sweet nap. Bouncy beer pillows. Now that is something I can get behind.

So yeah…  only one problem when you make chocolate covered beer marshmallows.

Youcan’tstopeatingthem. That happened.

[print_this]

Beer Marshmallows

makes one 9 x 13 pan of marshmallows, cut however you desire

3 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin (I used Knox)

1 cup cold, flat beer, divided in two

2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large egg whites or reconstituted powdered egg whites

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 cups dark chocolate morsels

2 cups milk chocolate morsels

hard sourdough pretzels

To flatten the beer, take the cap off the bottle and leave open overnight, or pour beer into a bowl and whisk vigorously to remove some carbonation. I did the second option and it worked perfectly! Just make sure it is cold.

Oil a 9 x 13 baking pan (I actually just used a good bit of Pam) and sprinkle on powdered sugar to cover and coat. Set aside. In the bowl of your electric mixer (a whisk attachment is best), pour 1/2 cup cold beer and 3 1/2 packs of gelatin. I gently mixed with a spoon once, then let sit while you make the sugar mixture.

In a medium pot combine sugar, remaining beer, syrup and salt. Heat over low heat and whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat up to medium and let sugar come to a boil. It will bubbly up so keep yours eye on it so it does not overflow. Let it boil for 8-12 minutes, until it reaches 240 degrees F (measure with a candy thermometer). The mixture will appear to be a lightish brown color depending on the beer you use – don’t worry, the marshmallows will still be white.

Once mixture is at 240 degrees F, turn off heat and gently pour it in the mixer over the gelatin with the mixer on low speed. Once all of the sugar has been added, turn the mixer to high and beat for for 6-8 minutes. It should grow in size and be white and fluffy. About 3-4 minutes in, add the egg whites to a separate bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. I used a hand mixer to do this. If you don’t have a hand mixer, I assume you have to remove the whisk attachment, clean it (it will be a sticky mess), add a new bowl to the mixer, beat egg whites. Once stiff peaks are formed, add egg whites and vanilla extract to the sugar/gelatin mixture and beat until just combined.

Pour marshmallow mix into the 9 x 13 pan. It will impossibly sticky so be careful, and you will not be able to get it all out of the bowl. Get as much as you can, then spray a spatula with non-stick spray and smooth. Dust powdered sugar on top and let sit to firm up for 3-5 hours.

Once firm, turn the pan upside down on a cutting board to release marshmallow rectangle. Cut them into pieces of whatever size you like. Melt milk and dark chocolate chips separately (I melt in 30 second increments in the microwave and stir) in two bowls. Crush hard sourdough pretzels. Using a fork, toothpick or fondue pick, coat marshmallows in chocolate then sprinkle with or roll in pretzel crumbs. You can also drizzle with salted caramel. Let sit at room temperature until chocolate hardens. Marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks!

Source: idea from an ad seen in Food and Wine, then a quick google search led me here; marshmallow recipe from smittenkitchen, subbing beer for water; flattening beer instructions from here.

[/print_this]

Now who wants to guess what comes after beer marshmallows?

221 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Beer Marshmallows.”

Molly — May 28, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

You should try making toasted marshmallow milkshakes with those!

Kim — May 28, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

I’m reeeaaally not a fan of beer. Do you think I can substitute root beer for the beer? The marshmallows probably won’t be white but I would rather that than the taste of beer.

• Jenny — June 2nd, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

You’re not going to taste the beer. You’re probably just going to get a hint of maltyness. I don’t like beer either but I make pancakes all the time and substitute beer for milk or water and they taste fantastic.

Pam — May 28, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

WOW, I had never thought to substitute the water. I have been making marshmallows for 2-3 yrs now and everyone says “I didn’t know you could make marshmallows” LOL. Anyway, I am wondering, could you use another kind of liquour? Like rum, or vodka, or whiskey (Jameson maybe?) Hmmm. And does all of the alcohol evaporate? What you mix with the gelatin wouldn’t would it? Dont want to get my kids drunk ya know.
    You amaze me and make me wish my Mixer wasn’t 15 hrs away in storage. :(

• Pam — May 28th, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

Or what about Dr Pepper or coke flavored marshmallows? Oh, you have given me so many ideas.

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — May 28, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

Some of your recipes make me laugh. And I mean that in the most awesome way possible. :) Like, how does one come up with beer marshmallows?!?! I love it, though.

Lynna — May 28, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

Omg. What an great idea and flavor combination… and those s’mores you just posted– perfect for Memorial Day weekend.

Megan — May 29, 2011 @ 1:53 am

Oh holy crap…I think I just fell in love.
    Yup, I just did.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 29, 2011 @ 1:59 am

These sound TOO good! If there is such a thing!

Ken Topham — May 29, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

Wow these look amazing! I’m going home to make some now.

brittany — May 29, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

when i do buy beer i tend to lean more toward guinness or yuengling. . . would you suggest a dark or light beer for these? or does it even matter?

Melissa — May 30, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

Hi Jessica,
    I’ve never worked with gelatin but am very excited to try these. My local grocery store does not carry Knox gelatin but does have a generic variety. You say to use 3 1/2 envelopes, but could you tell me how much is in each envelope? I’m not sure if there is a standard and I shouldn’t worry, but the generic that I found sells boxes of 4 packets, each being 1/4 oz. Any additional information you could provide would be wonderful.

Thanks!
    Melissa

• Jessica — May 30th, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

That is how the Knox comes too and I’m pretty sure you’ll be okay, but I would measure it just in case – it’s 2 tablespoons + 2 1/2 teaspoons. Let me know if you like them!

Molly @ RDexposed — May 30, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

These are so great for summer nights!

Amber — May 30, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

I tried making these, but the mixture didn’t exactly grow and become big, white and fluffy after adding the cooked sugar mixture to the mixer. Do you have any idea what I may have done wrong? I still went ahead with making them, hoping that everything would come together, but I think I missed the target on this one.

• Jessica — May 30th, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

Sorry they didn’t work out Amber! Did you have your mixer on high speed for at least 8 minutes? It takes a while. Did you measure your sugar mixture with a candy thermometer to see if it was 24 degrees? If you did all of those things I’m honestly not sure where else the problem could have been… it is smitten kitchen’s recipe and it worked the first time for me!

• Amber — May 30th, 2011 @ 11:39 pm

I did. My mom thinks I should have let it beat longer, it just didn’t seem to be going anywhere – but I will try again! I have plenty of beer, syrup and knox just waiting to be used! ;o) Thanks!

Maranda — May 31, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

This may be the most important invention ever.

Kerry — June 3, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

So I just showed my boyfriend this post, because he loves beer & we pretty much make s’mores all the time and the conversation went a little like this: Him: “*gawking* What do beer marshmallows TASTE like?” Me: “Get ready for this: beer.” Him: “*big pause*… can you get drunk off them?” I should just tell him yes and see what happens.

holly — June 4, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

and this is why i love you. bomb mothereffing dot com.

AM — June 8, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

This perked up my husband’s ears….Never would have attempted marshmallows but this sounds too fantastic! (the comment about beer in pancakes….gotta try that too.)

Alison — June 10, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Oh my goodness. You are equal amounts of adorable and hilarious.

the traveling cupcake — June 16, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

I literally almost had a heart attack when I found this post – this looks AMAZING!! Ive been obsessed with making marshmallows too lately, this is going to be dangerous – very, very dangerous! THANK YOU!

Molly — June 20, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I made these this weekend and they were wonderful. My mom loves chocolate covered marshmallows and she really loved these. I was just glad they worked out. They were a fun project and I will definitely make them again. :)

Molly — June 20, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

P.S. Once I dipped mine in chocolate, I covered mine in chopped pecans. I live in the South and our philosophy is that pecans are good on anything. And the pecans were very delicious on these.

Claire Challenger — June 22, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

I just finished making these. They are seriously… seeeeriously amazing. I haven’t made marshmallows for two years and forgot how easy they are! You’re the best Mrs. Howsweet!

Chelsea — June 30, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

Seriously!? These look soo good! I love the ‘taste like college’ part. Saving this one! I sooo love your writing style and truly enjoy reading your posts. You’re great!

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

Thank you Chelsea!

Jen — July 6, 2011 @ 11:28 am

These are completely brilliant. I adore marshmallows and have been meaning to make some… maybe I will start with these.
    And I know exactly what you mean about tasting like college. :)

carrie hall — July 6, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

um… yum. you are a genius! I really enjoyed reading your post, you write with a great sence of humor! can’t wait to try these marshmallows!

tess smith — July 7, 2011 @ 10:04 am

i’m making these this weekend for my husband’s birthday party. it’s a beer and sausage fest. (yes… a sausage fest.)

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 11:27 am

Hahahahah… enjoy!

Melissa — July 21, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

My plan is to make your s’mores brownies with half normal and half beer marshmallows. I don’t know how it’s gonna work but I’m gonna try it! If they’re good I’m gonna feed them to the guy I have my eye on at work. Judging by the other stuff you’ve made they will be….how do you feel about weddings? ;)

Pam — August 14, 2011 @ 11:32 am

Just made these using wine…awwwwesome!

Jaunnette — November 2, 2011 @ 11:34 am

The only thing stopping me from making these is the fact I don’t have a standing mixer, just a hand mixer, and I don’t feel like standing there for 8 minutes holding the mixer. Maybe I’ll feel like it some other time, because these are really yummy sounding, and look great.

Maria — November 12, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Wow they look great!! I am definitely bookmarking this recipe for the future :)

Andrea — November 12, 2011 @ 11:01 am

Not sure how I missed this post in the first place… but it looks amazing!!

Cindy — November 16, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

I just made these with a bottle of my favorite chocolate stout. O.M.G.
    They aren’t quite white as the stout is so very dark but a lovely light tan color.

Amanda H. — November 19, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

My son’s godfather enjoys beer… Pretty sure these will be part of his Christmas gift this year. Thanks!

idiosyncraticeye — November 23, 2011 @ 9:37 am

I’ve been toying with making my own marshmallows but the raw egg thing was worrying me. Seeing as you’ve all survived, I may just have to experiment! :)

Andrea — December 24, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

…mine are setting up now. I’m a bit worried I didn’t beat them long enough, but I really hope I did. I bought lollipop sticks to make dipping them in chocolate easier, and because everything is cuter on a stick. I really hope they turn out well. They pretty much look like your pictures, so we’ll see.

• Pam — March 10th, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

Putting them on a stick is a great idea, but I would use pretzel sticks!

Mel — February 7, 2012 @ 1:40 pm

I made these as a Christmas gift for several twenty-somethings in my group of friends. I switched beer with Bailey’s in one batch and Kahlua in the other. I made the mistake of not beating them long enough before adding the egg whites and they never fully fluffed. And I somehow managed to get the sticky delicious mess everywhere. Including the bottoms of my socks.

little chilli — February 9, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

can you make these with vanilla vodka or white rum using the same quantities?

• Kate — March 12th, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

Yes! You can make these with any type of alcohol. I am a college student and I usually make these about once a week. This recipe cooks off almost all of the alcohol but it is quite easy to adjust if so desired. I usually make these with whipped cream flavored vodka and orange liquor (it is like an orange Julius marshmallow) but last weekend I made these with peppermint schnapps and put them in peppermint schnapps hot coco YUM.

I love these kinds of unique recipes! Looks delicious!!!

Bernetta Wimett — May 29, 2012 @ 2:44 am

My husband and i were delighted that Albert could finish off his web research from the ideas he came across when using the web page. It’s not at all simplistic to just choose to be giving out thoughts that many some other people could have been making money from. And now we figure out we’ve got the writer to give thanks to for that. These explanations you’ve made, the simple website menu, the friendships you help to instill – it’s all superb, and it’s aiding our son and our family believe that that concept is brilliant, which is extraordinarily vital. Many thanks for the whole thing!

Natalie @ In Natalie's Shoes — July 13, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

YUM! This recipe look so easy, too! Think of the possibilities..

Jenn @ chowgals — November 5, 2012 @ 10:38 am

Perfect stocking stuffer for the man or beer lover in your life!! So creative!

Caroline — December 6, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

So you got this from the Kitchn?

ambrosia — December 27, 2012 @ 6:47 pm

those look divine.

Sassyred — May 10, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

Why do I get the feeling that you should put bacon on top and not pretzles?! Beer bacon marshmallows covered in chocolate? Be still my heart!

Avanniel — May 11, 2013 @ 3:33 am

Hey, I’ve been making marshmallows for the second time now but with a different recipe that didn’t have egg whites (everything else is the same) but at the end I couldn’t coat it! It’s like it was too moist and it kept soaking up the sugar/scratch and it formed this hard layer of.. nastiness.. I don’t know what I did wrong because it actually tasted delicious, but I wanted them cut and coated :(

Christina — October 17, 2013 @ 9:32 am

For the Bailey’s marshmallows am I correct in assuming 12oz is sufficient? To be divided in 6oz increments for the recipe instructions?

• Jessica — October 17th, 2013 @ 11:45 am

I used 1 cup – 8 oz! so 4 oz increments.

Eurodita twin skin log cabins — February 5, 2014 @ 2:23 pm

It’s just a cool and helpful piece of information. I am content you discussed this handy data about. You need to keep us up-to-date similar to this. Thanks for expressing.