Cheese is totally a food group.

Like, it’s own food group.

It’s inexplicably a salty, savory, melt-in-your-mouth group of food.

Remember those big fenced in sections of brightly colored balls you used to play in as a little kid? Or as a teenager? Or… last week as a 28 year old freak who wears too much eye makeup? They are smack dab in the center of amusement parks and I think, even… McDonalds? Hmmm. Ew.

Yeah, first… I think those are pretty gross right? Tons of fun and a kid’s dream come true. I used to love the things. But then some grown ups told me they are filled with disease. Germ city. Right? I know you know and you know that I know and we still want to ignore it and play in them anyway. And then I heard on the news or something that they are usually filled with snakes? Okay. Deal breaker. For real, legit snakes slithering through those ball pens. That may seriously be the best dream come true turned into terrible, horrible nightmare. Ugh. The news ruins everything. So do grown ups.

But whatever… just imagine if those things were filled with cheese. It would be cheese up to your knees. Unless you’re really tall. Then it would be up to your ankles. You’d have to bend down more to eat your cheese. Thank goodness I’m short and have tree trunks for legs.

If I had to pick a favorite cheese I would cry. Because I could never, ever do it. I’d throw a full out tantrum. Without going in to too much detail, it’s in the realm of the asiago-sharp cheddar-gorgonzola-gruyere-brie family. Something like that.

Which explains these chicken nuggets! This is definitely a meal that helps marriage communication over here. I love cheese. He loves chicken. He also loves cheese, but would probably eat the square slices of goo wrapped in plastic if I didn’t pluck a Benjamin off of our money tree out back and come home with five different bricks of coagulated milk.

I also make chicken nuggets to make up for my misdoings like that. It works. You should try it. Chicken nuggets with super powers. I like.

Crunchy Asiago Chicken Nuggets

serves 2-4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

3 cups low-fat buttermilk

2 cups panko bread crumbs

1 cup seasoned regular bread crumbs

1/3 cup flour (any is fine, I used whole wheat)

1/2 cup freshly grated asiago cheese

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 cup dijon mustard

1/4 cup honey

2-24 hours before serving, cut chicken breasts into nugget-like chunks. Season with the salt and pepper then add to a bowl and pour buttermilk over top. Let soak for at least 2 hours or overnight.

When ready to bake, heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then lay a wire rack on top and spray with non-stick spray. Add honey and mustard to a bowl and mix, then set aside. Add bread crumbs, flour, cheese, garlic powder and paprika to a bowl and mix thoroughly. Remove each nugget directly from the buttermilk to the bread crumb mixture and coat, then set on the wire rack. Repeat with the rest, then spritz each nugget with olive oil or non-stick spray. I usually just use Pam because I like the “spritz” it gives.

Bake for 7 minutes, then remove pan from oven and gently flip each nugget with kitchen tongs and spritz again with oil or spray. Bake for 7 minutes more, then serve hot with honey mustard.

Off to water that tree… it’s gonna be hot today!

160 Responses to “Crunchy Asiago Chicken Nuggets.”

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 31, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Okay, my niece and nephew went into one of those yesterday and I almost cried – I will never ever let my kids go into those play places.. mainly because I will never ever take them to fast food joints. But chicken nuggets remind me of my childhood. Nice jo.

Blog is the New Black — May 31, 2011 @ 7:13 am

This looks amazing! I love chicken nuggests, these look amazing with the asiago!

LOVE the new look, girl!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 31, 2011 @ 7:20 am

UGH…I LOVE cheese. Why does it hate me? Life really isn’t fair…

These look amazing! The site looks beautiful Jessica!

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:28 am

Thanks friend!

Kim in MD — May 31, 2011 @ 7:29 am

I love asiago cheese, so I know I will love these! I just happen to have come chicken in the fridge…I think I know what we are having for dinner tonight! :-)

Jen — May 31, 2011 @ 7:32 am

I have been following you for a little while, actually making BBQ Chicken Enchiladas tonight, however, you keep coming up with these great nugget recipes! Even though my kids would be excited to have chicken nuggets every night, my husband would say, “chicken again!” I definitely have to add this one to the list!

BTW, love the new sleek site!

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:27 am

Enjoy the enchiladas! :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — May 31, 2011 @ 7:33 am

These look so much better than McDonald’s. Forget those fast food chains, if you open up a restaurant, put these on the menu, build your own playground with a trampoline filled with sanitized colored balls, and I’ll be there!

Katrina — May 31, 2011 @ 7:33 am

I love this idea! Cheese is a food group. I know so.

Cara — May 31, 2011 @ 7:36 am

I love these! Chicken and cheese are always a good combination, and with added bread crumbs, why not!? They are kind of like grown-up chicken nuggets, but ones kids would eat too :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 31, 2011 @ 7:37 am

cheese is TOTALLY a food group, and probably the best one out there. besides, you know, butter or cookies. ;)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — May 31, 2011 @ 7:38 am

I love your blue/turquoise bowl!

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Thanks!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — May 31, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Thanks for a tasty looking recipe that I am SURE tastes a million gazillion times better then anything you could get at a fast food joint.. Honestly.. just the smell of all the grease makes me sick! When my boyfriend occasionally grabs something from there.. I make him eat it outside!

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:26 am

The smell usually grosses me out too!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — May 31, 2011 @ 7:40 am

Lovee this! I agree, cheese definitely deserves its own food group…and by combining cheese AND chicken, I think you’ve made a meal both you and Mr.How Sweet can enjoy to no end :)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — May 31, 2011 @ 7:40 am

Oh my do these chicken nuggets look incredible. I LOVE asiago cheese!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 31, 2011 @ 7:41 am

Ah – the ball pits. I don’t want to even think about what was in there. Yuck.

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Scary. I know.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — May 31, 2011 @ 7:47 am

I used to love those ball pits. What were our parents thinking! I shudder whenever I think about it. Chicken nuggets used to be my favorite food group as a kid. Now mine is cheese too. I LOVE cheese!

Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) — May 31, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Is it weird to want these for breakfast? I hope not.

I adored the ball pits until one fateful day at McDonald’s, when I witnessed a four year old peeing directly into the ball pit. Heartbroken. :(

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Ugh. I think i just threw up a little bit.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 31, 2011 @ 8:02 am

LOL this post made me laugh for several reasons. Firstly, when I was little, my younger sister (who is 3 years younger than me) and I were playing in one of those “fun” ball pits at Chuck E. Cheese and my sister nearly drowned in it. My mum noticed and told me (because I was in the pit) to pull her up. I could only see her leg so I just pulled her leg straight up and held her upside down, which I’m sure was quite a sight. Secondly, my roommate would totally agree with your very first statement. While I use the same knife and cutting board to prep pretty much every meal of my own, her prep utensils ALWAYS include the cheese grater!

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Oh my… I don’t mean to laugh at your sister drowning in plastic balls but that is pretty funny… lol!

Mr. Medved — May 31, 2011 @ 8:07 am

FYI – You’ve got a small typo – hone instead of honey. I seriously sat here for 5 minutes going… “hone? what is that? I’ve never heard of hone…” Ha!

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:24 am

Hahahah – thanks! Fixed it. :)

Erica — May 31, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Ewww- the thought of all of the germs in those pits totally freaks me out! But they were SO awesome to play in as a kiddo. mmm I want one of these nuggets. I love at home chicken nuggets because you can make them just as tasty as restaurant ones, with less of the bad stuff. Asiago sounds like an awesome add in.

Gen — May 31, 2011 @ 8:09 am

yuuuum!!!! you can never have too much cheese! :D

VeggieGirl — May 31, 2011 @ 8:14 am

Cheese definitely IS its own food group :D And I love chicken.

The Fine Balance — May 31, 2011 @ 8:14 am

These look absolutely delicious….for now I just get to look 46 days to competition! and I would never be able to choose a cheese either. I am a cheese-aholic and not afraid to admit it lol.

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:24 am

46 days! Good luck!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — May 31, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Totally making these – the hubs will love ‘em! Oh… almost forgot to mention how much I like your revamped blog look! I’m partial to the simple white background for food blogs; I think it showcases the food better :).

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:24 am

Thanks Lauren!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — May 31, 2011 @ 8:22 am

Dear God, thank you my vegetarian challenge is over so I can make these delicious nuggets. Amen.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 31, 2011 @ 8:23 am

I think food bloggers should have the ability to create food groups, it’s only fair.

Love the new blog design!

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:24 am

Oooh yes I agree. And thanks!

Molly @ RDexposed — May 31, 2011 @ 8:36 am

I will be looking at these (while drooling) at a far distance!

Lauren — May 31, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Goat cheese baby. That’s the way to go! But these look great.
    The site is stunning!

Cookin' Canuck — May 31, 2011 @ 8:44 am

Chicken nuggets with super powers – love it. These would be a big hit in my house.

Heather — May 31, 2011 @ 8:54 am

Delicious! Asiago cheese is so for real. It’s so good.

Kim {Recipes To Run On} — May 31, 2011 @ 8:54 am

Have I been reading your blog through a reader for too long? I LOVE the new design of your site! These nuggets sound delish. Have a super start to the week!!

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Nope – just changed it on Sunday night! :) You have a great week too Kim!

Gina @Running to the Kitchen — May 31, 2011 @ 8:55 am

are you serious with the snake thing??
    These look outrageous :) cheese is most definitely a food group.

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 8:57 am

I am serious. How scary is that?

Astri — May 31, 2011 @ 9:00 am

Wow! Your site looks so good! It´s so light and fresh! Perfect for the summer :-) Im loving these chicken-nuggets as well, Im making these sometime this summer.

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Thank you Astri!

Erin — May 31, 2011 @ 9:01 am

I agree there are far too many fabulous cheese’s out there to pick just one to be my favorite. And these look great!

Kathy — May 31, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Those look amazing. Definitely making some this weekend!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — May 31, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Oh, yeah. Cheese should definitely be its own food group. And these chicken nuggets? Uh huh. Making them tonight.

Natalia - a side of simple — May 31, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Oh my goodness….LOVE the new look and absolutely LOVE this recipe. Definitely a good way to start off the week right after a “holiday.” :)

sherri lynn — May 31, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Cheese is definitely a food group in my book. These look ah-mazing!

brandi — May 31, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Pretty sure my husband is going to request this one soon. Yum.

Seriously – i love the new look!

Theresa — May 31, 2011 @ 9:44 am

Once again, all I have to say is Cheese Plant. Invent one of those and Id be a master gardener :)

If you dont have a wire rack and cook them directly on the lined cookie sheet, do you think they would not be crispy? Should you maybe cook it at a higher temp or something? what do you think….

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 11:23 am

I wouldn’t cook them at a higher temperature because 450 degrees is already pretty high – I think they will still be crispy, you may just lose a little bit of the breading? But I thill think they would be great!

Casey — May 31, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Jessica, these look fantastic. Any ideas on what could be subbed in for the Dijon mustard? My bf hates mustard with a passion. Maybe I could just use more honey?

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 9:51 am

The dijon and honey are just used for the dipping sauce, so maybe you could just serve it to him with some ranch or bbq? :)

• Casey — May 31st, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Oh got it–scary that I read the whole post, and in my mind I decided they were marinated in it. Haha.

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — May 31, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Love the new layout and these look SO good!

Riss — May 31, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Mmm these look amazing. Chicken Nuggets were the ONLY thing I would EVER eat at McDonalds. I hated burgers and wouldn’t touch the fries (except to lick the catsup off… odd child, I know. And I always, ALWAYS had to have three different dipping cups for my nuggets: honey mustard, BBQ, and catsup. I wouldn’t touch a McD’s c’nugget today…. But these on the other hand…? Hook me up!

Ashley — May 31, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Cooked to perfection!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — May 31, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Ahh – these look amazing. Cheese is definitely it’s own food group.

Melissa — May 31, 2011 @ 10:21 am

Will you make these into a Happy Meal for me? With some kind of foodie french fries and a super fun toy? Please and thank you!

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 10:37 am

That could be a new recipe post… the happy meal!

Katherine @ Grass Stains — May 31, 2011 @ 10:23 am

I rarely if ever comment because I’m not a cook and don’t have anything to add, but I absolutely love your blog. And I have to say: “Cheese is totally a food group” … truer words were never spoken! I LOVE CHEESE. Cheese is my fifth child.

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Thank you Katherine! And thank you for commenting. :)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 31, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Yum these chicken nuggets look great! Ever since I saw the movie Patch Adams, I think it would be fun to ‘swim’ in a big container of pasta! LOL! I know I am weird- but hey bright colored balls, cheese or noodles, whatever floats your boat… right?

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 10:36 am

If you’re weird, there is no hope for me!

Ashley — May 31, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Your site looks amazing! I love the new look! Can’t wait to try these chicken bites.

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Thanks Ashley!

Jessica H — May 31, 2011 @ 10:34 am

this recipe is going right on this week’s meal plan! Looks so yummy!

Amber — May 31, 2011 @ 10:36 am

OMGoodness! I am in L-O-V-E!!!! I have to admit….I have not been following your blog as much as I would like to….I know, I know….SHAMEFUL! Between softball (which is going to be the death of me), bowling team, end of school year activities & such….I have barely had time to breathe!! However, this morning I had a few minutes of free time & what do I see but these AWESOME chicken nuggets?!?!?!?!? This is seriously a recipe I needed, right at this moment!!! I have EVERY ingredient in my pantry & fridge! We have softball again tonight….I am SO getting ready to cut up my chicken, season it & then off to the buttermilk soak they go!!! My daughter is STARVING when she gets home from softball & this is something I can whip up in no time….Did I mention she LOVES chicken….in any form????? Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! Bethany will have yummy chicken nuggets for dinner tonight after a long softball game! You ROCK! :)

• Jessica — May 31st, 2011 @ 11:22 am

You are the best Amber!

• Amber — June 1st, 2011 @ 10:52 am

No, after making these last night….I must disagree!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!! OMGosh! These are so amazingly fantastic!!!!!! Bethany & I ate them last night, took some next door to the in-laws (who adored them also!) & saved a few for the Hubbs when he got home from working night shift…..Needless to say, there are NONE left!! Your recipe was a HUGE hit around here!!! I swear I was about drool just smelling them bake!!! Again, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

***PS- If you have not made these….DO IT NOW!!! You will not regret it!! YUMMMMY! ***

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #77 – Crunchy Asiago Chicken Nuggets « Ella Rose Entertaining

2. Pingback: Crunchy Asiago Chicken Nuggets – Sprinkle Joy.

3. Pingback: Crunchy Asiago Chicken Nuggets « bakingbad

4. Pingback: Feelin’ Like a little kid again « feelinlightonmyfeet

5. Pingback: Maple Mustard Buttermilk Crusted Chicken Tenders. | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Crunchy Asiago Chicken Nuggets | sparecake