Meet my new favorite lunch.

Greek Grilled Chicken Salad I howsweeteats.com

Ummm… let’s try that once more. A row full of chopped vegetables and a lemon half does not a lunch make. Especially not for me.

So, meet my new favorite lunch. Again.

Greek Grilled Chicken Salad I howsweeteats.com

Much better. Now that you’ve been properly introduced, feel free to smash your face up against the screen. Making out with chicken salad is okay by me. You might need a napkin though.

Since we’ve already established that I don’t love mayonnaise and really don’t love it in salads, I knew this attempt at chicken salad would be mayo-free. Unless it was my mom’s. But I wouldn’t make that. She makes delish chicken salad and I don’t think it’s any big secret, but food always tastes better when your mom makes it. Unless your mom makes broccoli. Yeah I said it.

This stuff is goooooood.

Greek Grilled Chicken Salad I howsweeteats.com

When tons of feta and marinated chicken and bright lemon and fresh dill are involved, I can deal with a few squares of cucumber and tomato and onion. It’s like… a law of the universe or something.

And if I’m being honest, I must share that this is reason numero dos that you HAVE to make the creamy feta. It’s not necessary for the recipe, but it would be a wise, wise choice. And you don’t want to not be wise, do you?

Greek Grilled Chicken Salad I howsweeteats.com

Greek Grilled Chicken Salad

serves 2-4

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

3/4 cup chopped tomato

1/3 cup chopped red onion

3/4 cup chopped cucumber

1/4 cup feta (I used creamy feta, you can use crumbled)

for chicken marinade:

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 tablespoon lemon zest

2 garlic cloves, minced

salt & pepper

for quick tzatziki

1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

1 garlic clove, minced

2 tablespoons chopped cucumber

1 teaspoon fresh dill

salt and pepper, if desired

30 minutes to 2 hours before servings, season chicken with salt and pepper. Place in a ziplock bag or baking dish and cover with the marinade ingredients (oil, lemon, zest, garlic) and marinate. While chicken is marinating, combine the tzatziki ingredients (yogurt, oil, lemon, cucumber, garlic and dill) in a bowl and mix. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside or back in the fridge until ready to use.

Once chicken is ready to cook, heat the grill (or a grill pan) to medium-high heat and grill chicken about 5-6 minutes per side. Set aside and let cool, then cut into chunks. In a large bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, onion and chicken. Add in feta. To bring the salad together, add the tzatziki in 2 tablespoon increments. I only used about 3 tablespoons total, but feel free to add as much as you’d like. Just continue to mix until the salad comes together. Serve on toast or in pitas.

Note: I obviously used crazy feta which added a whole other element of [fabulous] flavor. If you use regular feta, you may want to add in a bit more lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper or even spice. I highly suggest using the crazy feta if you can!

Greek Grilled Chicken Salad I howsweeteats.com

P.S. You’re allowed to serve this for dinner too. Because I said so.

116 Responses to “Greek Grilled Chicken Salad.”

selina — June 29, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

I totally smushed my face against the screen! I could live on greek salad forever and ever and alsoo that crazy feta makes my mouth water like nothing else! i know what i’m eating for dinner!

Amanda — June 29, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

I love tzatziki, but never thought of using it for chicken salad. Brilliant!

janetha @ meals & moves — June 29, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

This looks great. Greek is my favorite. I always make my own tzatziki, it’s so easy and healthy!

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — June 29, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

This looks great! So fresh!

Katrina — June 29, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

I love the look of that bread! It looks so seedy and delicious. Perfect to go with this salad.

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:57 pm

I am obsessed with this bread!

Erin — June 29, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Your blogs are so entertaining to read. I look forward to them every day! Along with everything you come up with. Looks amazing!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:57 pm

You are too sweet Erin! Thanks!

Heather from Snacktive — June 29, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

This sounds like a great thing to bring to work for lunch. Thank you!!

Sophiegoose — June 29, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

I normally make a sweeter chicken salad, but this sounds amazing and zesty. A must-try this summer!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

I also like the sweeter chicken salads – like the ones made with fruit and even candied nuts. :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — June 29, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

I lahhhve. This would be so simple with beans or tofu for the chicken!

Itzi — June 29, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

Let me tell you, anyway I´m sure lot of people do, your recepies are awesome, easy and really really desirable. The pizza and this greek grill chicken salad, oh my god!!!
    Linking on your website means starting salivating. Itziar

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

Thank you so much Itzi!

recipe contests — June 29, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

Chicken salad is one of my go to meals in summer as I like to eat lighter when the weather is warmer.
    I also avoid turning on the oven as often by making a batch of this to eat on for a few days. I’ve even entered a couple of variations on chicken salad into recipe contests. I haven’t tried the Greek variation but am making a note of your recipe here to try; any excuse to use feta cheese!
    Cheers,
    Virginia O

natalie (the sweets life) — June 29, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

i love any recipe with the word “Greek” in the title…and I’m making your feta for our Ribfest this weekend! So pumped!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

Ribfest?! I wanna come!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — June 29, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

I just love Greek flavors. Give me feta on anything any day!

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen — June 29, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

Ohhh, yum – this looks so good! I’m a sucker for chicken salad.

Charissa — June 29, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

Your blog just makes me happy. Every time I go to it…there’s always something scrummyliciuos to drool over..and I love the way you write! :)

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

Thank you so much Charissa! Made my day. :)

Brooke @ bittersweetb — June 29, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

This looks so good and I’m glad I also found someone that hates mayo, its so slimy and weird and gross. So I’ve had to steer away from chicken salads, until now!

Christina — June 29, 2011 @ 7:07 pm

This looks so yummy and healthy! My husband will love the no mayo!

Marelize — June 29, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

I don’t like mayo either. Mayo haters unite! I usually substitute sour cream or even plain yogurt. How do you feel about those?

Looks delish!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — June 29, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

Why do I not like feta cheese?! Maybe I need to try it again, because everyone raves about it! And your pictures sure do look tempting!!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — June 29, 2011 @ 11:55 pm

I need to try this. I absolutely can not stand mayo, so this looks right up my alley!!

Kendra — June 30, 2011 @ 12:02 am

This post inspired my dinner tonight…. I made a turkey meatloaf using ground turkey the Crazy Feta, chopped spinach, lemon juice & oregano. I served it with your super easy and super yummy tzaziki and roasted new potatoes tossed in olive oil, rosemary and salt and pepper. Amazing!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 6:38 am

That sounds great!

Allison's Delicious Life — June 30, 2011 @ 12:14 am

I hate mayo as well! This salad looks fresh and delicious, and I’m glad it doesn’t contain any of that sketchy white stuff ;)

Kie — June 30, 2011 @ 5:41 am

That salad look to die for! Check out Hong Kong desserts at http://hongkongintern.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/life-is-uncertain-eat-dessert-first/

thehealthyapron — June 30, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

you always make me hungry! Even if I’ve just had lunch!

jennifer — June 30, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

I must make this this weekend! I will be the only one eating it, but that’s okay! More for me!!!

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — July 1, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Father of the Bride is one of my favorites…Although I did have a weird chemistry teacher who made us watch the hotdog bun scene in class to learn about orbitals. That wasn’t very much fun. Otherwise, love it and love this recipe!

• Jessica — July 1st, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Hahaha that is odd!

Jess — July 2, 2011 @ 12:53 am

Just made this and oh my is it yummy!! So refreshing and big sparks of flavor!

Michelle — July 2, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

We are making this tonight with crazy feta. We will even use jalapenos, which neither my husband or myself particularly like, but in the spirit of things we will try. We’ll just use 1/2 the amount. I found a fabulous loaf of Kalamata olive bread which we will toast. We will marry this with chilled melon in Prosecco and copious amounts of white wine. We probably should have bought Ouzo. Wish us luck. OPA!!!!!!!

Pat Leath — July 8, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

These pictures are beautiful! I have an elderly friend that has been a well known food photographer with some of the best food magazines in the country. She has retired and wants to sell all of her props to a professional food photographer. She has an unimaginable group of props that she has collected since 1970′s. She finds it hard to cell piece meal because of her personal attachment to the display props. I told her that I would contact a professional group that may know of someone interested in a real deal. Thank you for your consideration. pkelleyfr@gmail.com

Jeny — July 10, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

I am making this for dinner tonight, I have the chicken marinating, and just finished making the tzatziki and crazy feta and so far those are both amazing!! I love your website everything always looks so fresh and yummy. My family also loves the banana blueberry wheat muffins

laura — July 20, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

This is AMAZING!!!! The marinade is DELICIOUS and so easy. We had the chicken for dinner, and used the leftovers for the salad today – total perfection! I don’t even really LIKE dill, but I LOVED this! Thanks! :)

Clare — May 17, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

I also HATE mayo so I am always looking for non-mayo ideas. Thanks for this recipe.
    The restaurants in DC that make crazy feta are Cava Mezze, a nice sitdown place, and Cava Mezze Grill, which is like the Chipotle of Mediteranean food! I could eat there every day.

1. Pingback: » It’s all Greek to me Goofy Can Cook

2. Pingback: Rest Days and the Little Things | livehalffull

3. Pingback: Southwest Chicken Salad Slider Melts | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: web-jaunt « blah blah birds

5. Pingback: Greek Chicken Salad | housegirlhaley

6. Pingback: Sweet Corn and Bacon (Greek Yogurt!) Chicken Salad | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Summer Returns…and so does Bootcamp! | Films, Food, and Beer