I’ve inherited most physical and personality traits I possess from my dad.

My green eyes. My type A-ness. Hypochondria. Translucent, freckled skin. Thick hair. Annoyance at unpunctuality. Spider phobia. Chocolate cravings. Insane sweating. Aversions to mayonnaise and things of the like.

I don’t really love it. Mayonnaise that is. The condiment, not the character, better known as Patricia, from my favorite Nickelodeon show Doug.

There is a time and a place for me + mayo, and that time and place is usually on a BLT stacked with lots of B and barely any L and T. Just enough L and T so you all stop judging me. And a smooth, sheer smear of mayo.

That’s it.

No more, no less.

Unless it’s loaded baked potato salad, I almost always skip it. Give me bacon or give me none.

Except for….  caramely sweet potatoes roasted with yukon golds and crisp green beans – my favorite way to eat green beans – tossed in a coating of parmesan cheese, fresh dill and buttery roasted garlic. Now this you need to try.

Roasted Potato Salad

serves 4-6

2 medium sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and chopped

10 small yukon gold potatoes, quartered

1 pound of fresh green beans

2 heads of garlic

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

3 tablespoons fresh dill

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Chop sweet potatoes (I peeled mine) and yukon golds (I didn’t peel those) into uniform cubes and throw them in a bowl. Cut the fresh green beans in half to shorten each piece and add them to the bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper. Using your hands, toss potatoes and green beans until all is coated. Spread them on a non-stick baking sheet. Take the garlic heads and chop off the top to reveal the top of each clove. Rub the head chopped side down in the oiled bowl to coat with olive oil (there should be some left in the bowl that didn’t sick to the potatoes). Place garlic heads face-up on the baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, flip and bake for 15-20 more.

While the potatoes are roasting, in a separate bowl combine 1/4 cup olive oil, parmesan cheese, dill and parsley and whisk. Once the potatoes are done, remove from the oven to cool and set garlic heads aside for 5 minutes. Once cool enough to touch, squeeze roasted garlic into the olive oil mixture. Using a whisk, smash and stir the garlic into the olive oil.

Dump potatoes and green beans into a large serving bowl and cover with the garlic and olive oil mix. Toss to coat throughly and serve.

I’m currently melting in Austin at IACP. I might look like a margarita by the time I return!

149 Responses to “Roasted Potato Salad.”

Jun — June 6, 2011 @ 11:42 pm

I love this! Without mayo.

Carie — June 8, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

I once watched my teenage cousin take a piece of chicken and dip it into a big glop of mayo. I then understood why my formerly very athletic cousin wasn’t so athletic anymore. I don’t mind mayo as long as there isn’t much of it. And I’m talking a very small amount. Like on a sandwich, it should be spread so thin you could almost see through it. I do like some mayo in potato salad. What I dislike is mustard potato salads. My mom made one I hated for years when I was a kid and made me eat it every time. Won’t touch the stuff now.

jess white — June 13, 2011 @ 5:13 am

drool, it’s 10am and i want to eat this now! im not a big fan of mayonaise, so this is pefect for me because i love potatoes!

Susan — June 13, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

My daughter is a follower of your site and often sends me a recipe that she thinks I might like to try. I made your blueberry salmon along with this potato salad last night. They were delicious and I will be making both dishes again and again…. especially the potato salad! Thanks!

• Lisa @ www.bakedinmaine.com — June 13th, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

I was thinking the same thing…
      I’m going to make both tomorrow!
      That “roasted potato salad” looks soooo easy too ;-)

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

Thanks Susan!

Frances — July 3, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

I just made it for dinner with steak and cilantro butter corn on the cob. Incredible. This one is a keeper!

Alyssa Stewart — July 24, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

This looks amazing – is it good cold?

Jennie Gift — August 3, 2011 @ 9:04 am

Do you suggest serving this warm or could I make this head and bring to a bbq and serve at room temp? I am trying to find something I can bring that uses local produces from our farmers market. :)

• Jessica — August 3rd, 2011 @ 9:07 am

I love it warm and room temperature. I know a few people have served it cold too – I think it’s good that way but I just don’t love cold foods!

Rachel — August 15, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

I made this with dinner last night and I just wanted to come back and tell you that it is AMAZING. I am eating the leftovers for lunch, and I think I want to make it again tonight… :D LOVE!

Emily — September 14, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

This is so good! Just had it for dinner. Delicious. Perfect comfort food.
    Thank you!

Meredith — March 23, 2013 @ 9:02 am

What a great side dish! I made this last night for a dinner party! I’m thinking its going to be a staple for my side dish all this coming summer! What a terrific flavor, and it makes the house smell so yummy with the garlic roasting away in the oven!

Laurie E. — July 8, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

I’m surprised I get any work done reading your blog- this particular potato salad recipe has me drooling all over my keyboard.

Lindsay — October 17, 2013 @ 12:26 am

I hope you still check these comments! I am going to make this for the first time for a potluck dinner at a friend’s house on Saturday. The party starts at 4 but we won’t be eating until 6. How would you reccomend I prepare this? The morning of and then just reheat it at her house? Or just before I leave so it’s fresh out of the oven and then let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours before we eat? I don’t want to eat it cold but don’t want it to get mushy either. Also, she doesn’t have a microwave, so reheating would have to happen in the oven, Potlucks seem like a good idea until you actually have to figure out the logistics…. :) Thank you!

• Jessica — October 17th, 2013 @ 11:43 am

I would do it as close to eating time as possible – you know how roasted potatoes never really remain crunchy after reheating? If you don’t mind that, then you could make it way ahead of time. But I like the little roasted crunch, so make it as close as possible! Also, I think it’s up to you if you want to serve it warm or cold – if you do want it a little warm, just stick it in the oven like you mentioned! :)

• Lindsay — October 17th, 2013 @ 7:10 pm

Thank you so much! I’ll time it so it’s coming out of the oven as I run out the door. :)

• Lindsay — March 4th, 2014 @ 6:05 pm

Just coming back months later to say that I’ve since made this dish so many times since that first time. I was just about to go to the kitchen to make it again for dinner tonight, when I realized I should come back to thank you for the recipe. So, thank you!

1. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 94 | my kitchen addiction

2. Pingback: Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Chicken on the Barbie | Delish World

4. Pingback: No mayo with the potato « A Tasty Life

5. Pingback: Roasted Pepper Pesto Potato Salad | Heather's Dish

6. Pingback: Sum, Sum, Summatime | Shining From Within

7. Pingback: Tired Puppies | Well, Ill Be

8. Pingback: Potato and Green Bean Salad | livelovepasta

9. Pingback: Roasted Potato Salad | The Spiffy Cookie

10. Pingback: Greek Grilled Chicken Salad | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is – recipes

12. Pingback: Next Steps: Meeting the Parents | Food & Life

13. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #79 – Roasted Potato Salad « Ella Rose Entertaining

14. Pingback: Garlicky Roasted Potato Salad – Warm Vanilla Sugar

15. Pingback: Nutrish & Delish // 10 Ways to Cook Sweet Potatoes | Style & PepperStyle & Pepper

16. Pingback: This Is What Potato Heaven Looks Like | Gymrat Fitness