I want to tell you all about this salmon, but I can barely think about grilling. Ever since arriving in Austin, all I want to do is take a long, hot bath in a tub of ice cream. Heavy on the ice please.

Um… it’s a little warm here.

But before I left Pittsburgh and walked into the personal 24- hour steam bath that is currently circling my body, I made potato salad. Then I made salmon. Then we ate it. Together.

I totally could have lived on that potato salad alone, but according to my other half, potatoes do not a dinner make. Why, why, why?

I heated some blueberries until they bubbled and burst, and made a quick homemade barbecue sauce with slightly less sugar than usual. Nearly ate it with a spoon. Slathered it on some buttery grilled salmon and called it a day. Ate until I could no longer breathe and enjoyed every moment.

Do this. It’s fantastic.

Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon

sauce adapted from The Neely’s

serves 2-3

1 1/4 pounds salmon filet (whole or cut into portions)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

for the sauce:

1/3 cup fresh blueberries

1/3 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (I used blueberry flavored)

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

Heat a small saucepan over low heat and add blueberries. Heat until the begin to bubble and burst, about 10 minutes, then mash with a fork. Add in ketchup, both vinegars, brown sugar, onion and garlic powder, ground mustard and worcestershire sauce. Whisk well to combine and break up blueberries and turn the heat up to medium. Heat until mixture bubbles, stirring every few minutes, then turn heat back down to low. Cook for 20 minutes, whisking every few minutes. Sauce will be slightly clumpy and thicker than regular BBQ sauce.

Preheat your grill to it’s highest setting. Season the salmon with salt and pepper, and once the grill is hot, lay filet directly on top. Cook for 5 minutes, then gently flip. Using a pastry brush, brush BBQ sauce on salmon and let cook until flaky and opaque, about 5-6 more minutes. This will also depend on the thickness of your salmon (mine was about 1 1/2 inches thick). Once salmon is finished, slather with remaining BBQ sauce and serve.

Off to survive the heat!

151 Responses to “Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon.”

Michelle@TheHealthyBites — August 5, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

Wow, this looks amazing! My family just got back from a huge blackberry-picking trip, and I would love to use this as inspiration for a blackberry bbq sauce. Can I request your permission to put the recipe on my blog if it works out (with credit to your site, of course!)?

Charles Pogue — August 5, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

Good salmon

Mary @ mary mary quite contrary — August 6, 2012 @ 9:56 am

What a delicious way to serve my favourite fish !! Will be adding this to my menu this week ! Thanks <3 Mary

Lana — August 14, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Jessica,

I made this last night. Not being a big fish eater, especially fish without every biteful being about 99% tartar sauce and 1% fish, I think I just found a great way to eat salmon. I think the sauce would be good on ice cream….is that crazy?

Jessica — August 7, 2013 @ 6:51 pm

This was delicious and an excellent way to put a dent in our blueberry surplus. The whole family loved it! Thank you!

Amanda Z — January 8, 2014 @ 11:19 pm

This was so good! I think this blueberry bbq sauce could go well on a few things, thanks for a great recipe!

Earl Budlove — June 2, 2014 @ 9:34 pm

Knew it was ether going to be very good or very bad it exceeded my expectations it was extremely good by the way if you think it’s humid in Texas come to Mississippi

April — June 13, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

Wowwww!!! Very creative with the blueberry sauce! Can’t wait to try this :-)

1. Pingback: What I (wish) I ate Wednesday!! « the diva-dish

2. Pingback: Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon | The Healthy Apron

3. Pingback: I’m a big kid now | healthycollegegirl

4. Pingback: Roasted Veggie Potato Salad « theflourishingfoodie

5. Pingback: No-Rise Grilled Flatbreads + Weekly Menu | Prevention RD

6. Pingback: Ingredient Challenge Monday

7. Pingback: ICM – Blueberry Barbecue Chicken | ~Dixie Chik Cooks~ ICM – Blueberry Barbecue Chicken | A Southern Belle who thinks about what's for dinner while eating lunch.

8. Pingback: Blueberry BBQ Salmon + Endometriosis “Diet” | Prevention RD

9. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is – recipes

10. Pingback: Blueberry Barbecued Chicken | accidental intentions

11. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon « Spice Is Nice

13. Pingback: Overnight Oats Recipe | Overnight Blueberry Oats | Two Peas & Their Pod

14. Pingback: Friday Pin-Ups: Blueberry Hill | Crumb: A Food Blog

15. Pingback: Recipe of the Week: Grilled Blueberry Salmon | Bikram Yoga Vancouver

16. Pingback: Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon | Peonies and Pomegranates

17. Pingback: Paleo Meal: Salmon with Blueberry BBQ Sauce, Steamed Broccoli, and Roasted Asparagus

18. Pingback: Paleo Meal: Salmon with Blueberry BBQ Sauce, Steamed Broccoli, and Roasted Asparagus | The Samsanator Cooks

19. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Healthier Dinner Ideas | How Sweet It Is