So… this whole sprinkles thing.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

It’s kind of getting annoying, right? Look at me! I’m obsessed with sprinkles! Wah wah wah. I need attention.   Yeah. Not cool. I may as well just slap on some glitter eyeshadow and tease my hair. But in reality, I’m so obsessed with sprinkles because now that I’m in my mid-to-late (read: really late) 20s, it’s not so appropriate for me to be walking around sporting the newest shade of Urban Decay and blinding folks with glistening flecks from my lids.   Um… what would you rather have? Me wearing loose sparkles on my eyes or a compulsion to bake you colorful vanilla cakes?

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

So sprinkles it is. Everyone needs a vice.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

They are sort of like trashy gossip tabloids. Or the new, freakishly awkward version of 90210. Or chocolate covered bacon. Or skinny jeans.   I really have no business dealing with any of the above but I die a little inside when I don’t get what I want. I’m okay with being a walking celeb stalker, wearing pants that make me look like a stuffed sausage and knowing the exact story line on every tween drama.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

And making homemade funfetti cupcakes. I’m okay with that too. Funfetti cupcakes were always an obsession in our house growing up. Heck, they still are. Sometimes I still buy the boxed version. Yes I do. But I’ve also been making them from scratch for a loooooong time and really didn’t think you had any interest considering they are… hello… a vanilla cupcake with sprinkles. Simple. Yummy. Easy. Lovable.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Don’t mind my crumbs. I’m messy.   So if you feel like creaming some butter and scooping some flour, you’re in for a treat. My favorite part? Different sprinkles. Wowza. Sometimes I use the regular old things – you may refer to them as jmmies, but I just can’t get behind that. Other times I use the nonpareils, which I love because they have super bright, fun colors. If you haven’t noticed, I like bright colors. And sprinkles. And glitter. And bacon. Okay I’m done.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

makes 12 cupcakes

1/2 cup butter

1 cup sugar

2 whole eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup milk

1/3 cup assorted brightly colored sprinkles + more for top of frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in assorted sprinkles. Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool, then frost.

Vanilla Buttercream

2 sticks of butter, softened

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon of milk, if needed

Cream butter in the bowl of an electric mixture until completely smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar slowly. Gradually increase mixer speed and add vanilla, then beat for 2-3 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl. If frosting is too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached If it’s too thin, add sugar gradually until it thickens. Frost cupcakes and top with sprinkles.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

If you come vacuum the trillions of sprinkles off my floors, I’ll love you forever.

409 Responses to “Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes.”

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — June 1, 2011 @ 6:20 am

Mmm I’m totally ok with your love of sprinkles. The batter looks so glossy and creamy, I think I’ll just eat that with a spoon. Forget baking!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 1, 2011 @ 6:23 am

My sister used to be obsessed with funfetti but I bet she would have loved homemade even more! Love the perfect rainbow you have inside that cupcake!

VeggieGirl — June 1, 2011 @ 6:24 am

Sprinkles could never be annoying, nor could Funfetti. Holy yum :D

Kathryn — June 1, 2011 @ 6:30 am

Oh these look so pretty and delicious!

Adrienne — June 1, 2011 @ 6:33 am

My best friend is OBSESSED with funfetti cake :D I usually make her a funfetti cake from a box for her birthday every year, but this year I’m totally going homemade!

Cara — June 1, 2011 @ 6:33 am

Sprinkles are so much fun, and you are never too old for them! I always loved funfetti growing up too! These look amazing!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — June 1, 2011 @ 6:42 am

Gah, that’s the worst thing about nonpareils – the mess they make!

Kim {Recipes To Run On} — June 1, 2011 @ 6:44 am

My kids will LOVE making these this summer! Very fun idea.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — June 1, 2011 @ 6:57 am

Um, I have a SLIGHT (read major) obsession with funfetti cupcakes. Now, I don’t have to rely on some box to have them! I bet these taste a million times better, too!

Shugary Sweet — June 1, 2011 @ 7:01 am

Yum, my kids are going to love this. Thanks for sharing!!!
    -Aimee

Maris (In Good Taste) — June 1, 2011 @ 7:06 am

These are precious! Really fun!

Kim in MD — June 1, 2011 @ 7:08 am

This post made me laugh! I love sprinkles, and I was hoping you would post this recipe because the cupcake in your Crumbs post from the weekend looked amazing! :-)

The Teenage Taste — June 1, 2011 @ 7:10 am

Hey, I’m 100% totally fine with the sprinkle obsession. Sprinkles make the world go ’round! ;-)

Clare — June 1, 2011 @ 7:18 am

wow that frosting looks like something else.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — June 1, 2011 @ 7:21 am

funfetti is one of my all time favorite types of cupcake/cake – well right behind red velvet!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 1, 2011 @ 7:30 am

Urban Decay — you crack me up!!! I haven’t thought about that stuff in, ever?

Love the cupcakes. The frosting looks insanely thick in that last pic. Just the way it should be.

Chocolate-Covered Katie — June 1, 2011 @ 7:32 am

They look beautiful, Jessica. In fact, ALL your photography looks beautiful.

And I must confess to being a sprinkle addict, too. In fact, that’s how I stumbled on this page; I was googling something related to sprinkles! Something about them jut makes a dessert much more fun, whether it be a blondie, pancake, or that incredible cupcake in your post.

Never stop your sprinkle-loving… that would be a sad day. :)

Erica — June 1, 2011 @ 7:35 am

haha….I recently bought a headband that has a bow on it. I spent a few minutes thinking…I am 28 and too old for this headband. But I justified it by the fact that I’m pregnant and about to have a little girl, so its ok for me to dress like a little girl :) And I think it’d be more than OK for me to make these cupcakes too hehe. They look awesome. Frosting looks so pretty!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — June 1, 2011 @ 7:43 am

I highly doubt that skinny jeans make you look like a stuffed sausage. But I laughed anyways. :)

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — June 1, 2011 @ 7:50 am

Yayy!! I love you for sharing this! A recipe for funfetti cupcakes, I’m so excited to try it. :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 1, 2011 @ 7:54 am

I think it’s perfectly normal to still be obsessed with teen dramas as one is approaching thirty. Of course, I might be slightly biased.

Alexis @ There She Goes — June 1, 2011 @ 7:55 am

funfetti is the BESSSTTT

Fallon — June 1, 2011 @ 7:55 am

I would much rather make homemade funfetti cupcakes over the boxed version!

Brooke @ Bittersweetb — June 1, 2011 @ 7:58 am

There is something so nostalgic about funfetti cupcakes…….and awesome! These looks so good. And I’m totally guilty of calling them jimmies, what can I say? You can take the girl out of Philly but you can’t take the Philly out of the girl.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 1, 2011 @ 7:59 am

I love when you bust out the sprinkles! (Oh, and the vanilla buttercream too, which I’m sure I could eat by the bucketload… then nap in a sugar coma for a few hours afterwards!)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — June 1, 2011 @ 8:01 am

You’re never too old for sprinkles! These look fabulous!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 1, 2011 @ 8:02 am

I want these! I could use a fun cupcake right about now! Funny how sprinkles just make you feel happy!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — June 1, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Ohhh – yum, these look phenom!!

Kristen@PrettySweet — June 1, 2011 @ 8:09 am

The inside of that last cupcake looks unbelievable. Whoa. The perfect amount of frosting! And I liked your sprinkle placement…not all over the whole thing, just a side swoop. I was thinking how cute those would be for Valentine’s Day with pink and red sprinkles. Yes, please! And maybe some pink sanding sugar…you know, for good measure.

Blog is the New Black — June 1, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Totally fine with your love of sprinkles. I have the same problem!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 1, 2011 @ 8:11 am

seriously, i want that last picture to be hanging over my bed while i sleep at night. and it’s not creepy to say that since it’s just a cupcake ;)

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 1, 2011 @ 8:21 am

Love sprinkles..you won’t hear any complaining from me!
    Love the new design!!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — June 1, 2011 @ 8:27 am

I loveeeee those tiny sprinkles <3

Amy — June 1, 2011 @ 8:38 am

these look awesome! don’t know why i funfetti = vanilla batter w/ sprinkles surprised me, but it did!! i love the sprinkles you used. i’m going to bookmark this just for not only the funfetti-ness but also as a go-to vanilla cake recipe!

Page @ Good Clean Fun — June 1, 2011 @ 8:38 am

i’ll come vacuum if you pay me in sprinkles cupcakes:)

Liz — June 1, 2011 @ 8:46 am

Dude. DUDE. I love your sprinkle obsession. I also love that you make no apologies for posting delicious decadent food. I swear, it’s so refreshing to see BACON and CUPCAKES rather than the same variations on a bowl of oats or a salad every day (and your commentary is way awesomer than some of the more annoying ones).

You = awesome. That is all.

Lauren — June 1, 2011 @ 8:55 am

These are my favorite! I will definitely have to try making these a few times before my actual birthday (not til September) lol

Love following your site!
    I’m having my 1st giveaway, please come stop by ♥
    Laurenlovestoshare

Molly @ RDexposed — June 1, 2011 @ 8:55 am

You’re right. I’d rather see sprinkles on a cupcake than body glitter. Keep the body glitter to 7th grade.

vann — June 1, 2011 @ 8:58 am

yum, i am so making these. Also, love your new banner! :)

ally@girlVfood — June 1, 2011 @ 8:59 am

GAH. I’ve been longing to make homemade Funfetti cupcakes for YEARS. Bless you!

Melissa — June 1, 2011 @ 8:59 am

In fact I would like to see you rock sprinkles as eyeshadow. Somehow this seems like a very 80s thing to do.

Considering that I polished off half a dozen Funfetti cookies and the remainder of a can of Rainbow Chip frosting last night, I’d say you can probably stick a fork in me with Funfetti for a bit. But I’ll bookmark this for later. I always come back to Funfetti.

Corinne — June 1, 2011 @ 9:04 am

Funfetti cupcakes + bacon = love. I expect you’ll work this combo together at some point! :)

Cookbook Queen — June 1, 2011 @ 9:08 am

You had me at sprinkles.

No–glitter.

No wait–I meant to say,you had me at hair teasing.

Or Urban Decay.

Sigh. Who are you? Are you me? Do I have a clone floating around the blogisphere? Or maybe I’m YOUR clone? This is weird. But cool.

Have a fun (and safe!) trip!!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — June 1, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Who would ever fault you for loving funfetti and knowing the plots on every tween drama?! Not these girls.

Gina @Running to the Kitchen — June 1, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Jessica- your pictures are amazing. So is the food of course (who doesn’t love funfetti cupcakes!?) but everyday I come to your blog I’m blown away by the photography. I’m hoping to get a DSLR soon and you are totally my inspiration :)

Lisa @ Healthful Sense — June 1, 2011 @ 9:15 am

There’s something about that last picture that makes me want to try that frosting now.

Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free — June 1, 2011 @ 9:16 am

I love to keep things simple, but I also love your insanely out there recipes!

Jihane @Sinful Sundays — June 1, 2011 @ 9:17 am

That buttercream looks d-e-l-i-s-h. Like a cloud of happiness.

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — June 1, 2011 @ 9:20 am

These are so fun and girly! Would be great for a birthday or just because :)

sara — June 1, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Haha, sprinkles are AWESOME! :) :) These cupcakes look fantastic! I love the idea of making funfetti cupcakes without all the fake stuff in boxed mixes. Yum!

1 2 3 6

1. Pingback: Funfetti Month Recipe Round-Up | The Spiffy Cookie

2. Pingback: Confessions. | finding a new life through food.

3. Pingback: Cherry Pickin’ | bejamie

4. Pingback: Sunday Funday « Snickerdoodle State of Mind

5. Pingback: Kindred. – Sprinkle Joy.

6. Pingback: Pinning at Pinterest |

7. Pingback: 4th of July Cupcakes | livelovepasta

8. Pingback: Reasons to Smile « she keeps flying anyway

9. Pingback: Patriotic Cupcakes « Will Run 4 Dinner

10. Pingback: good eats | Sweetness In Starlight

11. Pingback: banana chocolate chip muffins | la vida de frida

12. Pingback: Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bottomed Cupcakes. | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday – 4th of July Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes! « Hoping in God

14. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcakes from Scratch | better than butter

15. Pingback: happy birthday, dear friend. « dear friend

16. Pingback: batter: its whats for dinner. | Banksyface

17. Pingback: Bridal Shower Cupcakes | finding a new life through food.

18. Pingback: Happy 4th of July:: From Scratch Funfetti Cupcakes & Vanilla Buttercream : Bake, Rattle and Roll

19. Pingback: Lazy Long Weekend | The Sweetest Thing

20. Pingback: Indulging my inner 5 year old | Wait…are those…cookies?!

21. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcakes | I Sing In The Kitchen

22. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting | Becki's Whole Life

23. Pingback: .:funfetti cupcakes- homemade style:. « thefrostedmarshmallow

24. Pingback: Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes « Bake Me Famous

25. Pingback: ups & downs | finding a new life through food.

26. Pingback: Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes | HIPLIP

27. Pingback: HAPPY 1ST MONTH IN LITHUANIA! | Endlessly Fascinated

28. Pingback: This Weeks Delish: June 4, 2011

29. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcakes!! « My Happy Happenings

30. Pingback: Gluten Free Cocoa Crispy Treats » Then Heather Said

31. Pingback: Addicted to Baking « the hefferons

32. Pingback: Homemade Funfetti « Cake Is The Only Thing That Matters

33. Pingback: day 10: {funfetti cupcakes- christmas style} « thefrostedmarshmallow

34. Pingback: holidays are for partying | for the love of design

35. Pingback: Crazy for Crust: Funfetti Cupcakes

36. Pingback: Funfetti Cake Balls «

37. Pingback: homemade funfetti cupcakes with vanilla vodka buttercream |

38. Pingback: Sprinkle Birthday | Carbivore

39. Pingback: Sweetapolita – Funfetti Layer Cake with Whipped Vanilla Frosting

40. Pingback: thursday thoughts.

41. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcake « A Note in A Yummy World

42. Pingback: Funfetti! | The Hippocratic Cupcake

43. Pingback: Things I like this week (vol. 9) | BrittanyandTahn

44. Pingback: Mother's wedding, Grits & greens, funfetti cupcakes | iEatNeat

45. Pingback: 10 things for the weekend! | 25 and learning.

46. Pingback: When Life Hands You Lemons and Other Baking Tales « I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye …

47. Pingback: Marvelous Monday #3 | This Life Is Sparkling