So… this whole sprinkles thing.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

It’s kind of getting annoying, right? Look at me! I’m obsessed with sprinkles! Wah wah wah. I need attention.   Yeah. Not cool. I may as well just slap on some glitter eyeshadow and tease my hair. But in reality, I’m so obsessed with sprinkles because now that I’m in my mid-to-late (read: really late) 20s, it’s not so appropriate for me to be walking around sporting the newest shade of Urban Decay and blinding folks with glistening flecks from my lids.   Um… what would you rather have? Me wearing loose sparkles on my eyes or a compulsion to bake you colorful vanilla cakes?

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

So sprinkles it is. Everyone needs a vice.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

They are sort of like trashy gossip tabloids. Or the new, freakishly awkward version of 90210. Or chocolate covered bacon. Or skinny jeans.   I really have no business dealing with any of the above but I die a little inside when I don’t get what I want. I’m okay with being a walking celeb stalker, wearing pants that make me look like a stuffed sausage and knowing the exact story line on every tween drama.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

And making homemade funfetti cupcakes. I’m okay with that too. Funfetti cupcakes were always an obsession in our house growing up. Heck, they still are. Sometimes I still buy the boxed version. Yes I do. But I’ve also been making them from scratch for a loooooong time and really didn’t think you had any interest considering they are… hello… a vanilla cupcake with sprinkles. Simple. Yummy. Easy. Lovable.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Don’t mind my crumbs. I’m messy.   So if you feel like creaming some butter and scooping some flour, you’re in for a treat. My favorite part? Different sprinkles. Wowza. Sometimes I use the regular old things – you may refer to them as jmmies, but I just can’t get behind that. Other times I use the nonpareils, which I love because they have super bright, fun colors. If you haven’t noticed, I like bright colors. And sprinkles. And glitter. And bacon. Okay I’m done.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

makes 12 cupcakes

1/2 cup butter

1 cup sugar

2 whole eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup milk

1/3 cup assorted brightly colored sprinkles + more for top of frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in assorted sprinkles. Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool, then frost.

Vanilla Buttercream

2 sticks of butter, softened

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon of milk, if needed

Cream butter in the bowl of an electric mixture until completely smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar slowly. Gradually increase mixer speed and add vanilla, then beat for 2-3 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl. If frosting is too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached If it’s too thin, add sugar gradually until it thickens. Frost cupcakes and top with sprinkles.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

If you come vacuum the trillions of sprinkles off my floors, I’ll love you forever.

405 Responses to “Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes.”

Kath — June 4, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

GORG!!

Feast on the Cheap — June 5, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

Agreed, they’re sprinkles folks, not jimmies! These look super tasty…like a little bite of childhood.

Linnea — June 5, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

Those look so yummy and colorful – even better than the kind in the box. Beautiful photography, too!

Maranda — June 7, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

Yay for sprinkles!! I love sprinkles and glitter as well. And I’m already into my 30′s. What can you do??

Sharita — June 7, 2011 @ 9:17 pm

made em today… delish!!!!! ;D

Eileen — June 8, 2011 @ 3:04 am

Did you only use the egg whites? Your batter looks so white!

Also, I’m silly and didn’t realize the order of mixing things would matter. I put the sprinkles in before the milk, and the milk washed off most of the color on the sprinkles. Now my batter is purple lol

• Jessica — June 8th, 2011 @ 6:47 am

Nope, I used whole eggs! My pictures are brightened a bit which may help them look white, but the cupcakes are usually pretty white themselves!

• HK — September 20th, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

Also if you use normal vanilla extract, which is brownish it will taint your baking outcome for example frosting comes out a bit ivory instead of pure white. To get pure white try using a clear vanilla extract.

Elle — June 8, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

Still waiting for you to start delivering. I want these now, with an ice cold glass of milk.

bridget {bake at 350} — June 8, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

Just adorable!!!

Christine — June 9, 2011 @ 11:14 am

Oh, my. I have 5-year-old triplet girls and have a bit of a sprinkle hoarding problem. Guess what we’ll be making tomorrow?

Just found your blog recently through PW/Tasty Kitchen and am loving it! Thanks for all the great recipes.

Brittany Mae — June 10, 2011 @ 10:47 am

My sister and I made this, half into cupcakes and half into a cake. The cupcakes turned out perfect. What is the difference if it is cooked into cake? It became dry and very dense in the form of a cake- any suggestions?

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

Hmm… it probably depends on how long you baked it with the cake? Maybe you needed to bake it for less time? It would depend on the size of the pan.

Amy — June 14, 2011 @ 1:19 am

I LOVE sprinkles! I never miss an opportunity to mix them in with fro yo! and right now I’m all about glitter nail polish (while I can be, until I join the real world in August after grad school).

Can’t wait to bake these!

Suzanne — June 16, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

So, I am going to make this recipe but in a cake form. I was wondering if you had any pointers so I can be successful on my first try. The cake pan is 12 inches, so pretty big and I have an electric oven not gas. I was thinking maybe I should add more flour so it will be firmer…but I don’t want to ruin it. I will be adding your frosting recipe and fondant on top of this cake when it is finished. Thanks!!! I’ll let you know how it goes if I don’t hear back :-)

Aline — June 19, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Hello,
    im from Germany and i reeeaaaally love your recipes. They are awesome.
    But- just if its possible!- could you also write the recipe in european standards? You know, we dont use cups. We do everything with gramms…
    It would be so nice and helpful, because i really wanna bake and cook all this stuff , too;).
    Thanks a lot!

• Charlotte — September 14th, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Hey! I have the same problem too, I live in England and I look on all these American websites and all the measurements are in cups and ounces!
      I think these are the correct measurements anyway:-

125g butter

250g butter, softened
      625g powdered sugar
      1 tablespoon vanilla extract
      1 tablespoon of milk, if needed

I think that’s it! Happy baking! :p

Jayme — June 20, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

I would definitely clean up the sprinkles for a cupcake. There’s not much I wouldn’t do for a cupcake.

Sara — June 25, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Awesome!!!! Thank you for making my love of funfetti feel a lot more acceptable and legit… :) And I second Jayme… I’d totally clean up sprinkles for one of these, especially with what appears to be a whole pile of icing!

Whitney M — June 28, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

Mmm! The cake was very tasty, but I didn’t have enough butter to make the icing so I had to use the store-bought stuff.

Allison — June 29, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

I want to make a fun/festive dessert for 4th of July weekend, and I saw that you suggested making these with red, white, and blue sprinkles. I have to travel with these about 4-5 hours in the car. Will the buttercream frosting be alright at room temp for that long? I have a cupcake carrier, but I’m worried about the frosting melting.

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

The only concern I would have about the frosting is that it may get melty/soft? It should be fine to eat. Think you can keep them in a cooler? If not, I would suggest making them the night before, sticking them in the freezer and taking them out right before you leave!

• Mary — July 16th, 2011 @ 1:19 am

To be positive that all you frosting efforts won’t be in vain during a steamy weather pattern, use shortening instead of most or all the butter, cup per cup. Maybe half for about 85 degrees, and more as you see fit. :]

Amanda Davis — June 29, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

I am making these tonight because my 2 year old saw them and said “cupcakes Mommy,” and because my birthday is tomorrow.

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

happy birthday!

Gina — June 29, 2011 @ 10:58 pm

Thanks for the recipes. My kids love sprinkles but I haven’t ever put them in the batter before. Can’t wait to try these; they are beautiful! What’s not to love (well except for the pain from stepping on the sprinkles with bare feet).

Joie — June 30, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

So, I think you may be my twin separated at birth. Your writing style matches my personality, your obsession with sweets, AND your obsession with sprinkles (and glitter, and bacon, etc). I’ve been lurking the RSS a bit for awhile now cuz you have fab recipes… but when I started reading the flavor text I was like, YES!

Insant fan.

Oh also? I’m so combining this idea with that two-cupcake recipe of yours I tried the other day. Now I can have “Just Two” funfettis. My world is complete.

Ashley M — July 3, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Going to make these tonight for the holiday tomorrow. Red, white, and blue sprinkles though! Should be fun.

Hannah — July 9, 2011 @ 12:46 am

Currently making these…question about the 1/2 cup of butter, I sliced the butter up and fit it into the 1/2 cup- is this how you did it? I’m worried the measurement will be incorrect

• Jessica — July 9th, 2011 @ 9:02 am

Nope, a 1/2 cup of butter is one stick and it usually labeled on the outside. I just use a softened stick!

• Hannah — July 10th, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

Ahh that’s why I got confused, I’m from Sydney Australia we don’t measure butter by stick. Traditionaloven.com told me it’s 113g though! Everyone loved so thank you! Definitely making these again!

Payal — July 9, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

Hi Jessica! First of all, I’d like to say that I recently stumbled across your blog and I’ve found it to be totally captivating – it’s all I’ve been looking at the past few days :P My parents think I’ve gone completely batty, sitting around laughing at a stranger’s food blog! Second is my question: I was just wondering, when you bake any sort of goodies and then frost them, how do you store them? In my family, we store baked goods unfrosted and just frost them as we eat. I’d rather just leave my desserts frosted for two reasons: 1) it’s prettier/more convenient that way! and 2) sweets really don’t last so long around here that I need to worry about preservation. It’s more that I can’t figure how to store something like frosted cupcakes or cakes without ruining the frosting or without the frosting causing the cake to go bad sooner than it would left unfrosted. Thanks so much!

Lindsey — July 10, 2011 @ 11:23 am

LOVE sprinkles & LOVE funfetti! We had funfetti cupcakes for our wedding in lieu of cake. It was glorious. Everyone was obsessed, bringing them back to their “earlier days”

Just came across you’re blog….. I’m in love!

Such yummy ideas… with awesome humor & a lil bacon grease – what more could a girl want? :)

Lindsey — July 10, 2011 @ 11:23 am

Just came across your blog….. I’m in love!

Rachael — July 11, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

I have to admit I spend more time looking through all of your recipes and mouth watering pictures at work then I do actually working.

So in order to stop my drooling I finally made these last week! They were absolutely delicious and my family hasn’t stopped raving about them. I just made your strawberry lemonade cupcakes tonight so we’ll see if they are as big of a hit! Of course I kept sticking my finger in the frosting and almost convinced myself that since it has strawberries in it that makes them healthier. Oh well, a girl can dream!

Jessica — July 12, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

OMG I must try making these! At least the frosting because it sounds and look sooo good! gahh!

Christine @ BookishlyB — July 13, 2011 @ 11:48 am

I want to use this recipe for a cake (two rounds), instead. Should I just double it?

Gina — July 14, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

The cupcakes turned out beautiful but I was disappointed in the taste. They tasted more like a sugar cookie. They didn’t taste like a cupcake to me. Seemed like they weren’t sweet enough and too buttery tasting.

Kathy — July 19, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

My 11 & 6 year old daughter just made these because we decided it was a homemade funfetti cupcake kinda day. The cupcakes are AMAZING!!!

megan — July 26, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

Confetti is my hubby’s favorite. Guess what I’ll bake him for his birthday? :)

Julia — July 27, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

I’ve never really made anything from scratch because I am a terrible baker. Anyways, I am going to try to make these this weekend for my boyfriend’s birthday. Wish me luck! They look mmmmm so delicious!

Liz — July 28, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

Help!!! I made these but they didn’t rise in the oven. They dropped! I wanted to make these for a huge bridal shower I’m making them tomorrow. HELP!!

• Jessica — July 28th, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

Did you make any changes to the recipe? Add anything extra? Did you measure everything perfectly? Did you use baking POWDER (not soda)? Did you open the oven a bunch during cooking? Is your oven the correct temperature? Just trying to figure out what could have went wrong!

• Liz — July 28th, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

Ahhh stupid stupid me! I definitely used baking soda. :) THANK YOU for your help!!

• Jessica — July 28th, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

Let me know how they turn out!! Good luck. :)

Tanna — August 3, 2011 @ 12:56 am

Well hello Jessica! I just made these cute little cupcakes but, unfortunately mine did not turn out as pretty. I was wondering how your batter is so pearl white and mine was yellow as well as the icing, my icing was yellow & grainy looking. If you can help it was would be great because I plan to make these again, and master them. Thank you so much :)
    P.S. LOVE THE BLOG!

• Jessica — August 3rd, 2011 @ 7:20 am

hmm… both were yellow?? did you use a stand mixer??

• Tanna — August 3rd, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Yes, I did. I don’t own a fancy kitchen made mixer…(yet) :)

Miriam — August 5, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

I just made these and they came out just like the pictures. I just put much less sugar in the frosting because I don’t like it too sweet (well sometimes I don’t). Great recipe and will be using it more since my little sister loved them. Never saw a 3 year old finish anything so quickly.

A — August 16, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

How did you frost your cupcakes to look like that? Was it a special Tip or knife or what technique?

Stephanie — August 18, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Hi there! I am looking for a good buttercream for a cake to frost and decorate…nothing difficult…just a couple of roses, a border, and writing. I find it difficult to find a buttercream that I like. Can this be stiffened up just with powdered sugar in order to decorate?

Thanks!

• Jessica — August 18th, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

Cakes/frosting are not my specialty so I am not even sure where to begin, but check out my friend Amanda’s blog – she is the cake queen! http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/

• Stephanie — August 18th, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

Oh thank you so much!!! Wow, she IS amazing…now I am just intimidated:) Ha, ha!

Thanks so much!

Ali — August 19, 2011 @ 12:32 am

hi! I just made these I loved them.. well the taste that is! but thought they weren’t as fluffy as I’d like them to be. so what did I do wrong? leave them in for too long? this is my first time baking from scratch so I’m just a bit insecure.. and my sister thought they needed to be a bit sweeter.. so would I add more sugar? of MORE sprinkles ? hehehehe

Becki@beckiswholelife — August 29, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

I made these this weekend for my daughter’s 6th b’day and they were amazing…I just did my post and linked back to your site and recipe….thanks for a great cupcake!

Megan — September 1, 2011 @ 10:47 am

I made these last night for my dads office birthday party :) These came out awesome I made mini ones so there were more hehe! Thanks for the awesome Idea

Peyton — September 2, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

OMG I tried theese for my sports group because its our last practice and they are sooo good! Now my carpet is filled will sprinkles hahahaah! They are soo good! They are like the perfect texture and the frosting is perfect! I love you for this recipe ahahah

Brady — September 9, 2011 @ 6:29 am

These cupcakes turned out great when I made them! The icing was amazing, so buttery! I gave one to my high school English teacher and it definitely scored me brownie points.

Anastasiya — September 22, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

Jessica, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I made these cupcakes to celebrate my friend’s birthday. I was a little bit anxious about how they would turn out, cause i’m from Russia and, you know, some products and measures may differ… But everything went perfectly fine, the cupcakes were puffy, beautiful and really easy to make! I decorated them with icing with marzipan, and drew some stuff from Doctor Who (my friend is a big fan) on it… And these cupcakes became some sort of a legend! =)

Thank you once again!

Amanda — September 25, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

These are so fun and so pretty! Pinned and stumbled :)

nicole bosack @ sweet peony — October 3, 2011 @ 3:59 am

hey jessica! i’ve been a long time reader but surprisingly haven’t commented yet… so hey! i finally got around to making your funfetti cupcakes & they were amazingly perfect! just like the funfetti from the box :) anyways, i adore your blog… keep up all the great work! ps* i posted about these on my blog & linked it back to you! thanks again & i promise to pop in more often!

• Jessica — October 3rd, 2011 @ 8:45 am

So glad you liked them!

Morgan — October 25, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

Hey!! The frosting should be 1 teaspoon of vanilla not 1 tablespoon!! Our frosting was wayyyyyy too sweet! Waiting on the cupcakes to finish cooking, we are so excited about frosting them!

Jennifer — November 13, 2011 @ 12:14 am

These look amazing! How do you keep them so white?!? My vanilla cupcakes and frosting always turn out so ‘yellowish’ and yours are pristine white!! Tell me your secret!

Meki — November 13, 2011 @ 4:25 am

Mine turned out yellow-ish :( Did I do something wrong?

• Jessica — November 13th, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Did you use an electric mixer? The batter probably needed to be mixed a little longer?

• meki — November 13th, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

I used a stand mixer. I would probably try making one. Thanks for replying :)

Rhiannon — November 17, 2011 @ 12:57 am

I just tried these for a Christmas party (so green and red sprinkles only!) and they’ve turned out great! I used a mini-muffin tray and ended up with 50 mini-cupcakes!

Brittany — November 17, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

I followed the recipe exactly but my cupcakes turned out a bit dry. Any suggestions to moisten them up?