So… this whole sprinkles thing.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

It’s kind of getting annoying, right? Look at me! I’m obsessed with sprinkles! Wah wah wah. I need attention.   Yeah. Not cool. I may as well just slap on some glitter eyeshadow and tease my hair. But in reality, I’m so obsessed with sprinkles because now that I’m in my mid-to-late (read: really late) 20s, it’s not so appropriate for me to be walking around sporting the newest shade of Urban Decay and blinding folks with glistening flecks from my lids.   Um… what would you rather have? Me wearing loose sparkles on my eyes or a compulsion to bake you colorful vanilla cakes?

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

So sprinkles it is. Everyone needs a vice.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

They are sort of like trashy gossip tabloids. Or the new, freakishly awkward version of 90210. Or chocolate covered bacon. Or skinny jeans.   I really have no business dealing with any of the above but I die a little inside when I don’t get what I want. I’m okay with being a walking celeb stalker, wearing pants that make me look like a stuffed sausage and knowing the exact story line on every tween drama.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

And making homemade funfetti cupcakes. I’m okay with that too. Funfetti cupcakes were always an obsession in our house growing up. Heck, they still are. Sometimes I still buy the boxed version. Yes I do. But I’ve also been making them from scratch for a loooooong time and really didn’t think you had any interest considering they are… hello… a vanilla cupcake with sprinkles. Simple. Yummy. Easy. Lovable.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Don’t mind my crumbs. I’m messy.   So if you feel like creaming some butter and scooping some flour, you’re in for a treat. My favorite part? Different sprinkles. Wowza. Sometimes I use the regular old things – you may refer to them as jmmies, but I just can’t get behind that. Other times I use the nonpareils, which I love because they have super bright, fun colors. If you haven’t noticed, I like bright colors. And sprinkles. And glitter. And bacon. Okay I’m done.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

makes 12 cupcakes

1/2 cup butter

1 cup sugar

2 whole eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup milk

1/3 cup assorted brightly colored sprinkles + more for top of frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in assorted sprinkles. Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool, then frost.

Vanilla Buttercream

2 sticks of butter, softened

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon of milk, if needed

Cream butter in the bowl of an electric mixture until completely smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar slowly. Gradually increase mixer speed and add vanilla, then beat for 2-3 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl. If frosting is too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached If it’s too thin, add sugar gradually until it thickens. Frost cupcakes and top with sprinkles.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

If you come vacuum the trillions of sprinkles off my floors, I’ll love you forever.

406 Responses to “Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes.”

Casey — November 22, 2011 @ 3:57 am

Was I supposed to use cake flour or all purpose flour, mine came out beautiful but tasted horrible </3

• Chloe — January 4th, 2012 @ 2:54 am

I think you probably did something else wrong in the ingredients; if it was supposed to be cake flour, you would know, because the cupcakes would’ve been really flat and ugly. Over-mixing sometimes causes taste problems. Also, I usually cut down on the baking powder, because it has a terrible taste that tends to stand out. (I sell cupcakes, so I have a few tricks).

Tina — December 8, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

I have been looking for a funfetti cake recipe for my son’s 2nd birthday and was so excited to find these! I love your site! :) I used rainbow jimmies for mine instead of the non pareils. They came out perfect! Not too sweet, and the flavor and texture was great!!!! I did a test run the other night…and loved them. I will be making 48 of them tonight for his birthday party on Saturday!! Thank you so much! :)

• Christin — December 16th, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

i want to make these this weekend for a girlfriend’s birthday, and i was wondering if you used regular flour or cake flour??

• Rhonda — February 2nd, 2014 @ 9:00 pm

Use regular flour

Sabrina — December 15, 2011 @ 4:59 am

I made it today! My first cupcake! And the result is so delicious! Thanks for sharing :D

• Christin — December 16th, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

Jenni — December 30, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

Did you use whole eggs? My batter turned out darker than yours and I think it is because of the egg part instead of just using the whites?

• Holly — March 31st, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

Its because of the vanilla! she would have used some clear vanilla for this recipe, (useful for baking) rather than the standard vanilla

• Charity — October 12th, 2013 @ 10:27 am

Hey, thanks for this comment. I was super psyched about the color and so I would have been super disappointed if I had not seen this. Someday, hopefully, my cupcake baking addiction will become severe enough to justify purchasing clear vanilla.

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper — January 1, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

These look like some of the most delicious things I have ever seen. OMG.

Natalie — January 1, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

What a fun take on an old classic!! I made a double batch of these for a New Year’s Eve party last night and used vanilla vodka in the buttercream frosting instead of milk – it was a hit! I love the cake recipe, it’s not too sweet but very flavorful, and the buttercream was the best I’ve made yet.

Hope you have a fantastic new year, and thanks for posting this delicious recipe! :)

Audra@The-Baker-Chick — January 12, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Oh my goodness is this an amazing recipe. I can’t wait to make them! That buttercream looks so thick and creamy! I love them! I just wish I could figure out how to spread the frosting on as pretty as you! :)

• beth — January 15th, 2012 @ 12:43 am

couldnt help but read your comment , and to make the cupcakes picture perfect you could get a decoraters tip and or iceing bag or use a zip lock bag with a sm v cut in the coner of the bag to make then lok as nice as the orignalposter cupcakes good luck ,

Bridgette @ Baking Bridgette — January 19, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

Just took these babies out the oven! I used jimmies instead of nonpareils.
    They taste a little sweet at first and then a little bland. I need to try them with frosting!

Ali & Lilah — January 20, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

Ours came out a weird gray-ish green, & tasted like corn muffins :(

• Katie — January 20th, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

As for the color of your cupcakes that’s because you mixed the batter too much when you put in the sprinkles, the color comes off if mixed up too much thus making it a weird hodgepodge of colors, As for the taste I have no idea why that is. :(

Noelle Marie — January 20, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

I made these with some nutmeg in the batter and a pecan-pie-like glaze, they were delicious! I blogged about them here: http://noellephant.blogspot.com/2012/01/rainy-days.html.

Shawna — January 27, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

Your posts are hysterical and the recipes look amazing! I’ll be using your white chocolate frosting recipe tomorrow :) Keep ‘em coming!!!

Kristy — January 27, 2012 @ 10:46 pm

The look so amazing! I will have to try making them!

Rachel — February 4, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

Just got these out of the oven and tasted one! To die for! Made them with the same sprinkles as you did and made sure not to mix too much after adding them – wonderful! Thank you!

Coco — February 12, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

I made these for my dad’s 60th birthday party. They were very good! I had a white cake recipe but it was finicky. These came out perfectly. My one question is that your picture almost looks like its ‘white’ cake. Did you use just egg whites in your recipe? Mine turned out much more ‘yellow’.

Meagan — February 14, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

I am making these today for Valentines day.
    I just made them in January for my own birthday…
    Maybe a little obsessed with these delicious cakes.
    I love using silicon wrappers too – they keep them so fresh.

Thanks for having this awesome blog.
    xox
    Meagan

Bethany — March 2, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

I have a few friends coming over this weekend who don’t like lemon or chocolate flavored desserts. Even though they are absolutely CRAZY, we are meeting their wants and have settled on making homemade funfetti cupcakes. No one can resist these, not even crazy chocolate and lemon haters. Thank you!

Rose Mary — March 4, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

Can you explain how much is stick butter? I am not american. Thank you.

• Jessica — March 4th, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

1 stick = 1/2 cup!

Katy — March 11, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

Sunk like the titanic even with extra flour for the high altitude. Still super yummy!

honeywhatscooking — March 12, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

this looks freakin’ insane.
    so goooooooooooood.
    trying to think what else can I add in there.. i love your blog!
    you’re awesome

kjoh — March 14, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Anybody know if I should double this if I want to make one two-layer 8″ cake? Looks so yummy!

ashley — April 6, 2012 @ 8:26 pm

The icing tasted waaaay off. And it was yellow. Not like the white icing in this photograph. I was really dissapointed!

• Kyra — April 30th, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

It is essential to beat the butter for the required length of time to achieve the desired light color.

Vanessa — April 27, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

These turned out perfectly and everyone loved them! I just put my sprinkles on a plate and gently pressed my cupcake into the sprinkles so I didn’t get sprinkles everywhere. Mine turned out exactly like the picture! I’d definitely make these again.

2pugglesandababy — May 6, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

These look amazing! Can’t to try them for a birthday party! Thanks!

myra — May 12, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

I’m making these for a birthday…how many cupcakes would this yield with a mini-muffin tin? Thanks for the help >.<

alexis — May 15, 2012 @ 9:20 am

i love this cupcake! its so cute n crazy colors! but how do get the frostin to be so white? mine turns out yellowish..

Janelle — May 20, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

Made these this morning. Looked great, I couldn’t wait for dessert. Made icing–basic vanilla cream, that for once came out perfect. After dinner, grabbed one with a glass of milk…..EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED! They were hard and dry. I read the reviews, made a point not to overmix…and still the result was something NOT to try again. But, they are pretty.

• anickh — May 22nd, 2012 @ 7:57 am

Janelle, I use a cake recipe exactly like this one except mine calls for 1/2 cup milk, rather than 1/3 like this recipe calls for. I feel like if I don’t use the full 1/2 cup, then yes, my cupcakes would turn out dry. Next time you make these, use 1/2 cup milk and it’ll turn out a lot more moist! Hope that helps. BTW: when I read this recipe and saw the 1/3 cup i was totally puzzled because this is a common recipe that always uses 1/2 cup. heres the same recipe on my blog using the 1/2 cup http://anickh.blogspot.com/2012/04/yellow-cake-1-cup-white-sugar-12-cup.html
      heres the same recipe, only doubled: http://www.bakerella.com/finally-i-found-it/

Johanna — May 30, 2012 @ 3:16 am

I made them yesterday night and they turned out great :) I added a lil more milk though, which I always do and they are just perfect. I am actually from Germany, but studied in the U.S. for a year and fell in love with funfetti cupcakes from a box. I was soo sad that we don’t have them here in Germany that I looked for a recipe and I found a great one :) Good job!

Kristan B — July 19, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

Mine turned a lovely marble grey when I used these sprinkles (the store didnt have a large container for the ones I used before). USE the normal sprinkles the longer ones. The beads run.
    I’m sure I make it semi the same but sour cream thrown in makes ALL the difference!

Laura Dembowski — August 24, 2012 @ 3:53 pm

I’m in for funfetti anything. They look great :)

Tamar — September 2, 2012 @ 9:14 am

photographic evidence. these were epic. and consumed very, very quickly. more like inhaled.

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — September 20, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

I realize I’m two years late to the party, but I made these for my boyfriend’s birthday today and they are AMAZING. We’re both obsessed with sprinkles so these are just perfect :)

A cupcake this colorful just BEGS to be Instagram-ed, doesn’t it? http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=386091558130910&set=a.372171059522960.83955.349538265119573&type=1&theater

HK — September 20, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

Made these today but they came out….heavy? They didn’t come out light and fluffy but more muffin like and I used all purpose flour and didn’t over-mix. They came out looking cute and love how much they rose because I was worried they would be flat since my batter was very thick even after adding milk

• Kirstin — November 12th, 2013 @ 3:18 am

I had the same challenge. My batter was really thick and they were almost the thickness of a scone. Tasted good but wrong consistency. Couldn’t put my finger on it. Made for a group and I don’t think they loved them.

Melissa — September 26, 2012 @ 10:12 am

Just made these tonight for work for morning tea and just had to try one. OMG!!! So yummy. And the recipe is so easy. Will be making again. And probably again and again. =)
    Just love your website. Best thing I’ve stumbled across on Pinterest.

Kristen — October 8, 2012 @ 3:57 am

Hi, I’m Australian and I’m not sure about the measurements and the type of flour and sugar. Would you know how to clear that up? (:

• Hope — October 9th, 2012 @ 7:34 am

Powdered sugar is icing sugar Kristen and flour I just use Self raising or plain with risings. A stick of butter is 125G for us

Marie — November 3, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

Just made these for Halloween using Halloween-themed sprinkles and I colored the buttercream frosting orange. They were SO AMAZINGLY GOOD. I sent most of them into work with my husband and they absolutely went bonkers for them. I will definitely be making these again and just think of the possibilities of color combos! LOVE this recipe :)

Monika — February 27, 2013 @ 10:53 pm

Your recipes never disappoint. This is so tasty!!! Thank you!
    Just baked them and sad to see them leave with Hubby for work tomorrow.

aysh — March 11, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

Love these cupcakes. If I wanted to make 2 6inch round pans for a cake, would I just double the recipe? I don’t really know the science of batter and pans.

thanks!

Megan — March 29, 2013 @ 9:41 am

Hi – I am going to make these for Easter!! How do I make my icing look like your’s? Thanks!!

Saima — April 11, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

Hey! How do you keep your batter white, without the yellowy colour?

Randolph Maull — May 2, 2013 @ 3:59 am

Sugar also contributes to the moistness of desserts and their tenderness. The flour or starch component in most desserts serves as a protein and gives the dessert structure. Different flours such as All-Purpose Flour or Pastry Flour provide a less rigid gluten network and therefore a different texture. Along with flour desserts may contain a dairy product.^^

Have a good day
    <http://www.caramoantourpackage.com/caramoan-tour/

abby — May 3, 2013 @ 3:12 am

hi everyone:) any tips on these amazing cupcakes? what kind of flour should i use?

Living on Love — August 7, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

Hey there! I’m Lacy and just heard you at Go Blog Social last weekend. I wanted to say hey after your talk, but couldn’t find you. Anyway, just made these cupcakes today. They are delish! And I love that it only makes 12. Great stuff here!

xo

Lacy

Jasmine — August 28, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

I’m making these for my friend’s baby shower this weekend, and I can’t wait to try it out! These look delicious, though I am going to use the regular sprinkles instead of the non pareils; I’ve never been too fond of those. But I’m mildly obsessed with sprinkles and am so glad to have finally found a good recipe to make these from scratch!

Aly — November 17, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

Made these today for a “dessert pot luck” at work — they are perfection. So sinful in that perfect way. And fun! I doubled the recipe and made ~18 ginormous cupcakes. But the frosting original measurements were just enough for all of them! Definitely saving this recipe :) Thanks!

Michelle — January 17, 2014 @ 11:35 am

So pretty! How do you get your batter and frosting so white?

Laura Dembowski — January 30, 2014 @ 2:07 pm

I made these for my birthday and loved them! I just posted about them on my blog and it would so make my day if you’d check out my post! http://piesandplots.net/from-scratch-funfetti-cupcakes/

Kaia Green — February 26, 2014 @ 3:47 pm

I am completely obsessed with your site. I came across your page on instagram and the yummy items you make remind me a lot of food I make. Yum! Great work, I would love if you check out my instagram @kaiakakes for food/dessert photos.

Best, and keep up the lovely work!

Kaia

Sarah — March 3, 2014 @ 10:06 am

I made these cupcakes and was very disappointed. They were dense and lacked flavor. I went back and checked that I had done everything correctly, and I had. They were very spongy, and I wished I had just used boxed mix.

Liz — April 26, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

Made these today as miniature cupcakes and they turned out great (expect about 32) ! Used the clear vanilla recommended by commenters and they stayed very white. Sprayed the pan with Bakers Joy rather than liners and they popped right out; do not overbake or they will turn beige; I baked 12 min. Barely folded in sprinkles into batter as instructed and they did not bleed; used 1/2 c. milk rather than 1/3; perfect. Best icing I have ever made; loved the clear vanilla!

Jennie — May 1, 2014 @ 8:46 pm

Despite completely forgetting to add the sprinkles into the batter, these turned into the perfect vanilla/vanilla combination!