Whoa whoa whoa… you’re on the right website. I promise.

I know.

This is weird.

Vegetables… like as a meal. Or a snack. Yeah. Snack.

What the what?

I’d never tell you that vegetables would satisfy me as a meal, unless I ate about 800 pounds of them. With cheese and bread crumbs and… sort of like this. All warmed up and melty.

Oh wait. I did that.

And right about now you’re going to tell me ‘but tomatoes are a fruit!’ blahblahblah. Um, let’s have a little talk. Fruit is sweet. You can put fruit in cereal and on ice cream. Are you going to put tomatoes on your cereal and ice cream today? How about you try that and get back to me.

Case closed.

I never really intended to share something like this with you. It’s simple and it grows on a plant and makes appearances in salads and you know… just doesn’t butter my bread. But a few weeks ago, Lori posted her lunch or snack or heck – breakfast for all I know – on instagram and it was some sort of delicious broiled tomatoes with cheese. And I talked to myself because I’m loopy and was all “oh man that looks sort of good… but it’s a vegetable… but it looks like something I want to shove in my face… but it’s a vegetable… but I want it now… but it’s a vegetable…”

And then I wondered if I should shut down my instagram account because all it makes me want to do is eat tons and tons of delicious food and when your job is to make recipes that tend to house a pound of butter and a bucket of sugar, wanting to eat more than you already do is just dangerous. Or something.

But I made it anyway. Because by eating all these vegetables I basically dumped a pocket full of change in my caloric bank which allowed me to eat more cupcakes.

And I ate it more than once. Shhhh. That just translates to more cupcakes.

Oh, and I like heirloom tomatoes because they come in pretty colors and funny shapes that make me laugh, and do not even closely resemble those orange rocks that my grocery store tries to pass off as tomatoes. The only other things I like tomatoes with are crazy caprese stacks with a syrupy balsamic reduction and on pizza with a boatload of cheese. Literally… a boatload. Float it in for me. Oh, and soup! I like tomato soup in which I dip my greasy grilled gruyere cheese into. So yeah… I guess I do like tomatoes. I also dip my grilled cheeses in ketchup [more tomatoes!] but I think I’ve scared you enough for one day. Don’t want to push you outside the circle of trust.

Broiled Asiago Heirloom Tomatoes

inspired by Lori’s lunch via instragam

4 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced

1 cup panko bread crumbs

3/4 cup freshly grated asiago cheese

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley

1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper

Preheat the broiler on your oven – I set mine to high.

Lay sliced tomatoes in a 9×13 baking dish, overlapping a few if needed. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper. In a bowl, mix panko, cheese, garlic and parsley with a spoon until combined. Evenly sprinkle panko mix over top of tomatoes. Broil for 2-3 minutes, or just until cheese and crumbs are golden. Watch carefully as the break crumbs can burn quickly! Serve as a summer side dish, a salad starter, or a snack!

I’ve had enough plants for one day. Bring on the bacon!

101 Responses to “Broiled Asiago Heirloom Tomatoes.”

Erica — August 9, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

gah! Tomatoes are fantastic…especially in the summer. And with all that melty cheese goodness? Drool

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — August 9, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

Bacon wrapped asiago heirloom tomatoes?

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 9, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

OMG there is nothing like tomatoes in the sum,mer time…for reallls they are so delicious!! my mom would love this dish she is all about everything tomatoes :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — August 9, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Anything cheesy + broiled cannot be bad. It just can’t. It’s illegal.

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life — August 9, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

What a fantastic recipe! I can’t wait to try it! I love heirloom tomatoes so much and this recipe is making me super hungry sitting in my office! Is it lunch time yet?

Jen @ Darling Notes — August 9, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

Yum! Want! Thanks for posting this recipe!

Megan A. — August 9, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

Before I even read your opening sentence I was checking the web address to make sure I had clicked the right bookmark button on my toolbar. The tomatoes totally threw me for a loop! :) THANKS!

Cara — August 9, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

Holy Yum! Those look awesome! They make me miss Italy! I will have to make these with the bajillion tomatoes that have ripened in my garden over the past week!

Cyndeehule — August 9, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

I am in love with this recipe!! I just might make it tomorrow, and give you all the credit on my website!

Stephanie — August 9, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

I found your prehistoric bug…:) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citheronia_regalis

• Jessica — August 9th, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

Grossest thing ever!

• Candice — August 10th, 2011 @ 7:56 am

That bug is found on tomato plants and can kill the entire plant/ garden if not removed from the plant. I know they look gross but they are harmless to humans. I have a huge garden and have seen them before.

kyleen — August 9, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

Mhmm… tomatoes + cheese + bread = deliciousness. I must admit I don’t really like tomatoes either, but I’ll eat anything served with cheese.

Kiah — August 9, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

I am totally with you on the veggie<anything-with-butter debate, but tomatoes DO rock my world. The broiled asiago recipe sounds too good to be true!

Wendy — August 10, 2011 @ 3:13 am

Saw this quote in an email forward and thought it was appropriate for today’s recipe. Enjoy!!

“Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing better than to put it in a fruit salad.”

• Jessica — August 10th, 2011 @ 6:40 am

Love!

Paula @ Dishing the Divine — August 10, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

We have tomatoes coming out of our ears!!!! I just made a gratin the other day that was like this but it had OTHER VEGETABLES too! I know, I know. Terrifying. But so good. It even had zucchini. I hate zucchini. But I love gratin. So this is like gratin sans zucchini, which is cool b/c zucchini is scary. :)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — August 10, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

YUM.

Megstro — August 10, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Yu-hu-hum! Can’t wait to make these!

Love your grocery store tomato/orange rock metaphor ;)

Melissa — August 10, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

I once heard “Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad” :D

Anitra — August 11, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

you are doing wonders for my overflowing vegetable garden. see veegies are good to look at and eat! :)

Mrs. Jen B — August 11, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Bizarre – this is the second time today I’ve read about dipping grilled cheese into ketchup. Where have I been?? Have you ever tried pizza sauce? Because that’s what the other person was doing instead of ketchup when they tweeted it. Just a thought.

Anyway, this looks totally amazing and I’m making it, like, tonight. :)

Christine — August 11, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

Oh I totally hate, better yet despise those bugs!! I remember my husband and I were at the park one day and saw one I almost had a heart attack it was so gross lol> We both had never seen anything like even when I lived in Texas we googled it and found out what it was but I haven’t seen another since thank god, anyway the strawberry chickpea salad looks fantastic I have been craving chickpeas, did you post the recipe for the cinnamon vinegartette? Just curious …great post!

• Jessica — August 11th, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

Nope – the chickpea recipe is in her book!

newlywed — August 12, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

If you want to try something similar with bacon…try this, from Claire Robinson! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/claire-robinson/green-tomato-and-vidalia-onion-gratin-recipe/index.html

I use red tomatoes though, being pretty unconvinced about green ones.

1. Pingback: welcome to ABBYnormally.com

2. Pingback: Peas and Thank You Cookbook Giveaway! | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Friday Finds! and MYBT Week in Review | Mind Your Bees and Trees

4. Pingback: Lightened Up – Crab Cakes « Live and Love to Eat

5. Pingback: Broiled Tomatoes with a Panko-White Cheddar Crust (Gluten Free!) « Clare Cooks!

6. Pingback: Broiled Tomatoes with a Panko-White Cheddar Crust (Gluten Free!) | Clare Cooks!

7. Pingback: Broiled Tomato Cheddar Recipe | Clare Cooks!

8. Pingback: Weekly Newsletter | theveggiebin