Can we make a deal?

If you come to my house and do some of the things I accidentally on purpose neglect… like wipe out the shelves in my fridge after spilling a half cup of cornstarch on them (it happens) and dust things like every single crevice in the house and throw away old magazines with the promise of losing 8 pounds in 3 days and maybe… maybe even clean the hair out from my shower drain (?)… I will totally love you forever.

And also make you breakfast. Because I know… that whole drain thing is skeevy.

Some days I’ll make you pancakes and others I may make you muffins. And on the occasion that we drank four too many mojitos during the best sleepover ever the night before, I may just serve you a piece of stale cake (I’m really bad at the whole saran wrap thing) and then go back to bed until dusk. I’m sure you’ll understand.

If I have time, which let’s face it: I always have time for food, I’ll even make you this whole slop pile mess of potatoes, bacon, zucchini and leftover grilled corn… cut off the cob from our dinner before the best sleepover ever. It’s reallllllly spectacular. Frying things in cast iron skillets makes them 34 times more delicious. Now you know. Life lesson #145.

The thing about breakfast is that… ding ding – it works for dinner too! So if your schedule doesn’t jive with mine? If you can’t make it over first thing in the early morn to scrub my bathroom floor with a toothbrush (yeah seriously)… you can come later and eat this for dinner. See? I always have my thinking cap on.

Especially when I grill corn for dinner. I’m always thinking.  Always thinking enough to grill three or four extra ears because nothing is as scrumptious on your lunchtime salads, burritos, hashes and pizza than caramely kernels that take less than 30 seconds to heat. Mmmm mmm.

I promise this hash (not that hash) will make up for the cobwebs you’ll find in the corners and the mildew you’ll find on just about, well… everything.

It’s chock full of crispy potatoes and soft, sweet and juicy peppers and onions. Some zucchini is in there too because… it’s summer! Have you heard? And obviously the caramely kernels are the best part because who doesn’t like vegetables that taste like candy?

I’ll top it with an egg because you deserve it. Mimosa on the side too.

Grilled Corn Summer Breakfast Hash

serves 3-4

4 slices of bacon, chopped

4 medium yukon gold potatoes, chopped into cubes

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 medium zucchini squash, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 red pepper, chopped

2-3 ears grilled corn on the cob, cut off the cob

1 teaspoon olive oil (you may not need this)

2 green onions, chopped

3-4 large eggs

smoked sea salt + pepper

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add chopped bacon and cook until crispy and fat is rendered – about 4-5 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Add potatoes with a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the bacon fat and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring and tossing every few minutes. While potatoes are cooking, heat another skillet on medium high and cook your eggs as desired, then set aside over low heat.

Add peppers and onions (and another little sprinkle of salt and pepper) to potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring. At this time you may need to add the additional teaspoon of olive oil depending on how much bacon fat is left. After 5 minutes, add in the zucchini and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring. Turn off heat, then stir in grilled corn and bacon. Top with sliced green onions. Serve with an egg on top.

Note: I haven’t tried it yet but I’m assuming you could possibly pan-roast your corn before frying the bacon. Also, you can use any kind of corn, though the caramelized kernels are the best!

Now can we talk about my shoe closet? I’ll make you a breakfast dessert to tackle that one.

101 Responses to “Grilled Corn Summer Breakfast Hash.”

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled — August 15, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

You just won over my heart. Seriously. Veggies, bacon, and sunny-side up eggs? Three of my all-time favorite foods in one dish.

Jennifer — August 15, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

OK…I’m obsessed with your site. I live in California and made this for my breakfast. OMG it is so delicious! That has to be one of the quickest turn arounds right?

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

I think it may be!! I am SO glad you liked it. :)

Jill — August 15, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

How do you get the egg fried so perfectly? Mine are always so bubbly and odd-shaped.

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

I use an electric griddle on the lowest setting! But I just did that for photography purposes – I fry an egg just like everyone else when I’m making things that aren’t going on the blog.

• Jill — August 15th, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

I see! Thanks for responding. I’ve been following your blog for a while now and I really enjoy it. The photography is great and the recipes are spectacular. I’ve tried many of them! Writing a cookbook any time soon?

Steph @321delish — August 15, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

Can you be my teacher on all things cooking and photography? Your pictures and food are absolutely wonderful! I promise I’ll eat all the food!

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

You are the best! Wish you were my neighbor. :)

Amy — August 15, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

I wish we were friends. I would totally drink 4 too many mojitos at a sleepover. I’m really good at cleaning. I may even wake up early to sneak out and go get some overpriced mocha coconut frappuccinos.

(Speaking of, I just went to Starbucks on my lunch break and told myself I was going to get a small iced latte. I walked out with a medium mocha coconut.)

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

Um… given that last line, we basically ARE friends.

Em — August 15, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

Hey! Sounds GREAT! I would totally clean out your closet and organize your house for that! :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — August 15, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

This is making me want to cheat on my pregnancy rules and have a runny egg. I love this kind of breakfast!

Barbara Braun — August 15, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

Hey Jess….I will clean for that breakfast hash!!!!!!!!!

emily (a nutritionist eats) — August 15, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

My fiance loves “hash” type breakfasts – I love the focus on the veggies in this one! Looks delicious!

Krystina (Organically Me) — August 15, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

Those are the most perfect eggs I’ve ever seen.

TheMeatHouse — August 15, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Awesome recipe! And so colorful and fresh :)

Amanda — August 15, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

So…when can I start?
    PS. Seeing that bottle of Sunflowers is a total blast from the past – I was obsessed with it as well!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 15, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

DEEELISH jessica!! another hit! Zuchinnis are so good this summer!!!

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — August 15, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

I would totally work for food! Yum.

Amy — August 15, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

Yum!!! This looks awesome. I’m pretty good at cleaning the hair out of the drain. My hubby requires it. It grosses him out, plus I’ve clogged the drain enough to require three doses of liquid-plumber down said drain in only 9 months of living here….soooo yeah. I’m used to it :) Gross!

Kelly — August 15, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

Jessica – this was amazing! I saw it this AM on facebook and my dinner plans changed…thanks! This was much much much much better than what was planned :D

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio — August 15, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

I love the vibrant colors!! Beautiful hash!

Nastassia (Let Me Eat Cake) — August 15, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

sometimes i crave a good savory breakfast! this looks like a winner, i’m going to try it tomorrow morning :)

Amanda — August 15, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

We will be having this for breakfast this weekend!!! I can’t wait!

Linda — August 15, 2011 @ 11:52 pm

That looks lovely! I love how colorful and looks flavorful it is. Yum! I just can’t wait to try it.

Penny (Whimsical Archives) — August 16, 2011 @ 2:06 am

I want a cleaning/eating sleepover. :-( And I want this hash.

:-)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli — August 16, 2011 @ 6:57 am

Consider your house wiped down, polished, and damn near sparkling…you will be able to see your reflection in that cast iron skillet by the time I’m done with the place if this is what’s on the table! I thought there was nothing better than SUPER sweet grilled corn and then you had to go and put a drippy egg on it…I. am. in. LOVE!!

Sara — August 16, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Yum! I made this today since I actually woke up at a grown-up time and it is so good! I went to the farmers market on Saturday and had bought everything in the recipe except red peppers (well, and eggs & bacon, but I always have that in the fridge). I will definitely make this again!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — August 16, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

somehow a sunny side up egg makes everything delicious!

janetha @ meals & moves — August 16, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

love the vibrant colored veggies and perfect eggs!

Lisa T — November 18, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

How long could you store everything together except the eggs? I’m looking for a breakfast, that’s not coated in sugar (wahh!) that I make a large batch and then reheat for a quick morning breakfast.

• Jessica — November 18th, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

I think you could make it on Sunday and it enjoy it for the rest of the week! Make the eggs each day.

1. Pingback: Easy Southwest Turkey Burgers w/ Avocado-Ranch Dressing + Weekly Menu | Prevention RD

2. Pingback: Summer Breakfast Hash « Wholesome RD

3. Pingback: Money Matters: Grilled Corn Summer (Breakfast) Hash + Weekly Menu | Prevention RD

4. Pingback: The Fashion Cloud >The Best Paris Brunch - TheFashionCloud

5. Pingback: See Ya, 2011. | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: 12 Summer Recipes | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Easy Beer Mac and Cheese | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Exactly How I Cook My Sunny Side Up Eggs For Food Photos | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Grilled Corn Summer Breakfast Hash | Breakfast Recipe