I have a very important, life-altering question.

Easy Beer Mac and Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Is there anything better than macaroni and cheese? I mean… really?

I don’t think so either.

Sure, we can all make the argument for chocolate or bacon or broccoli (um, who are you and what are you doing on this website?), but in the end we know that mac and cheese is in a league of it’s own.

It’s a weapon, really.

Easy Beer Mac and Cheese I howsweeteats.com

You can get whatever it is that you want with the perfect dish of cheesy noodles. Except maybe like five million dollars, which I reallllly need because I have a lot of shoes to buy and a lot of bacon to fry. And thanks to the invention of the internet I can do both at once. Winning.

Easy Beer Mac and Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Remember the night that I made this beer mac and cheese and served it with BBQ portobello sliders and couldn’t stop talking about it for four days because it was an ohhh so good meal and everyone within close proximity just wanted me to shut my trap? No… you probably don’t. Because I only subjected my real life friends and family to such misery and not my invisible internet friends. I seriously have no idea how I waited so long to tell you about this but for some reason I found things like cookies and cupcakes and even breakfast to be more important. Oh, and I kind of forgot about it because I have sooo much on my mind, like wondering when the heck I’m going to get to see Crazy Stupid Love (waiting is getting ridiculous) and really – I mean REALLY – are Ari and Mrs. Ari going to get back together (?!?) because they only have like, three more weeks. I can’t even take this.

Easy Beer Mac and Cheese I howsweeteats.com

But in the meantime… have you ever had beer cheese soup? It’s only one of the most delicious bowls of comfort you will ever taste and is always an essential part of my Octoberfest feast, which lasts much longer than just October. This pasta is like beer cheese soup… WITH CARBS. And crunch.

Hello heaven.

So yes. I’m fully convinced that a good bowl of mac and cheese can score you an engagement ring or maybe even just a free movie ticket or something. If anything, it makes the day that your credit card statement appears in the mail about a billion times better. Betcha Judy Blume never told you that.

Easy Beer Mac and Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Easy Beer Mac and Cheese

[inspired by my cousin, who mentioned beer mac on vacation last month]

serves 4-6

2 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow noodles

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons flour

8 ounces milk

8 ounces beer (I used an amber beer – it was what I had on hand)

8 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese

4 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika

pinch of black pepper

pinch of nutmeg

1/2 cup panko bread crumbs

10 large basil leaves, chopped for garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Prepare water for pasta and boil according to directions, shaving 1-2 minutes off of cooking time since pasta will continue to cook in the oven.

Heat a saucepan over medium high heat and add butter. Once melted and sizzling, whisk in flour to create a roux and cook until bubbly and golden in color, about 2 minutes. Add milk and beer into saucepan whisking constantly, then add cheeses and stir until melted. Turn heat down to medium and continue to stir, cooking for 5-6 minutes while mixture thickens. It will most likely NOT thicken like regular mac and cheese because of the beer, but you want it to thicken a little bit. Stir in pepper, paprika and nutmeg.

Add noodles (once cooked and drained) to a casserole dish, then pour cheese over top, mixing gently to combine. Top with panko bread crumbs and an additional sprinkle of cheese if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.

Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then top with fresh basil.

Easy Beer Mac and Cheese I howsweeteats.com

There is only one way this can get better: bacon.

336 Responses to “Easy Beer Mac and Cheese.”

Ashlea — October 6, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

I just made this tonight and it was amazing! I used Sam Adams pumpkin ale because I am obsessed with all things pumpkin right now. I will absolutely make this again!

Suzanne — October 13, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

Made this for the second time tonight and it was just as amazing as the first. We like our food spicy so I used cayenne pepper instead of paprika and it was incredible!

Sarah M. — October 27, 2013 @ 5:43 pm

Well, I’ll be making this soon!

One thought.. d’ya think I could prep it all and put it away in the fridge for a day or so before baking?

Stacy — December 12, 2013 @ 12:13 am
    Kayley — October 7, 2014 @ 1:20 pm

Just stumbled on this and totally want to try! I’m wondering if there is a way to convert it to a crockpot recipe? Sounds so yummy! Love your blog!

Veronique — November 20, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

Hey ! Just made this recipe and it was awesome ! I added extra cheese on top as you suggested, and it made it even better :)

1 3 4 5

1. Pingback: Brussel Sprout and Bacon Topped Beer Mac n’ Cheese | livelovepasta

2. Pingback: Alcohol, carbs, & cheese in one fell swoop (Easy Beer Mac & Cheese) – finding time for cooking

3. Pingback: Thanksgiving Recipe Round Up 2 — Koko Likes

4. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday | Mama Sonshine

5. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 12/9 & Easy Pork Chops and Rice Recipe | Mama Sonshine

6. Pingback: Last Menu Plan Monday of the Year and Our Christmas Card | Mama Sonshine

7. Pingback: Spiderman Orders Room Service ~ Meal Plan Monday Jan 21 | Mama Sonshine

8. Pingback: Carbonnades à la Flamande (Belgian Beef and Onion Stew)

9. Pingback: Super Bowl Eats | Lacquer & Linen

10. Pingback: What’s for Dinner – Wake Me Up When It’s Spring « Under the Maple Canopy

11. Pingback: Day Zero #75 – 25 new recipes

12. Pingback: Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese. | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday March 4th | Mama Sonshine

14. Pingback: Five alternatives to beercheese soup!

15. Pingback: Beer Macaroni and Cheese Recipe | Josies Recipe Guide

16. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday May 27 | Mama Sonshine

17. Pingback: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL - Page 411 - ALIPAC

18. Pingback: TALLBOYS Craft Beer House » Five alternatives to beercheese soup!

19. Pingback: Roasted Autumn Panzanella Salad with Spiced Pomegranate Vinaigrette | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Music Mania 2 / Dance, Cook, Dance

21. Pingback: I really love… | Ice Cream for Breakfast

22. Pingback: Unremarkable

23. Pingback: Cheers | Hoppy Mac & Cheese | The Half Baked Thesis

24. Pingback: New 2 Me Cooking Challenge November | Hungry Holly Runs

25. Pingback: Beer Mac and Cheese Recipe

26. Pingback: 5 Ways To Celebrate International Beer Day | Climbing Ladders

27. Pingback: Beer Mac & Cheese - The Ultimate Comfort Food | KegWorks WP Development

28. Pingback: Roasted Vegetable Beer Mac and Cheese

29. Pingback: 20 boozy Thanksgiving recipes for an extra helping of holiday cheer | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

30. Pingback: Beer macaroni and cheese | Marshmallows & Margaritas