Hello dreamboat.

Whole Wheat Fontina Portobello Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Once upon a time I hated mushrooms.

It was a sad life I lead. Led? I don’t know how to spell what I want to say. It rhymes with bed.

But seriously… sad. Chicken marsala without mushrooms. Creamy bisques lacking mushrooms. Eating only the stuffing for stuffed mushrooms [which is excellent, by the way].

You may know all about this too if you’re afraid of the fungi. But I’m about to tell you a little secret. Really say the word fungi… say it out loud.  FUNGI. Hear it?

Fun guy! Yes. Fun guys.

Whole Wheat Fontina Portobello Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I don’t know what turned me onto mushrooms but I suspect it was the three month period where I was forced to saute them until juicy and delectable or be subjected to the other member of this household destroying all of my skillets (success) from surviving on scrambled eggs for dinner. Someone has really weird food obsessions.

So here’s the deal. Melt some butter in a pan until it gets all sizzly. Dump in a bunch of mushrooms and toss them with the golden bubbles. Let them cook until they are soft and plump and just begging for a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Your best bet is to cover a perfectly grilled filet with the shrooms, but I’d like to convince you to just add them on top of some golden, toasty bread.

If that doesn’t do it for you, pile them on a pizza with some crazy cheeses and bacon. Or just do that anyway, because you totally have to get in on this goodness. And FYI: if you really hate the mushrooms, then you can just eat a bacon + fontina pizza. I won’t hate it.

I think my taste buds exploded. And I’d like the same for you. In a completely loving, non-violent way of course.

Whole Wheat Fontina Portobello Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Whole Wheat Fontina Portobello Pizza

dough: [I used my standard dough, use whatever dough you’d like.]

1 cup all purpose flour + 3/4 cup regular whole wheat flour

3/4 cup warm water

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

toppings:

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms

3 slices bacon

3 garlic cloves, minced

6 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated

4 ounces provolone cheese, freshly grated

1/4 cup grated parmesan + a bit more for topping

fresh parsely, chopped for garnish

Combine water, yeast, olive oil and honey and mix with a spoon. Let sit for about 15 minutes until yeast becomes foamy. When I made this pizza I actually used my stand mixer + dough hook for simplicity, but you can also do it by hand. Add in flour and salt and mix until a ball forms and dough comes together (with the mixer, I mixed for about 5 minutes). Using your hands, knead dough for 1-2 minutes until it is somewhat smooth. Place in an oiled bowl (in a warm spot) and let rise for 60-90 minutes. Punch down the dough, then let rise for another 15 minutes.

When dough is almost ready, prepare your bacon so it is half-cooked with just a bit of fat rendered. I stuck mine in the over at 375 for 10 minutes, but you can fry it or even microwave it. Just make sure it is lightly cooked and then cut it into pieces.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Lightly flour your workspace and using a rolling pin, roll dough to the shape you want. Brush dough with olive oil and cover in minced garlic cloves. Add half of each cheese onto the dough, the cover with mushrooms and bacon. Add remaining cheese on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is golden and crust is crispy. When pizza is done, top with additional parmesan and chopped parsley.

Whole Wheat Fontina Portobello Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Not sure if I can survive one more day without you trying this. Save me?

107 Responses to “Whole Wheat Fontina Portobello Pizza.”

Laura | Casa del Hansen — August 19, 2011 @ 11:45 am

Thanks for making me salivate! This is going to be made this weekend, no ifs, ands, or buts!

Michelle — August 19, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Bacon and mushrooms are totally kindred spirits. They belong on this pizza.

And maaaaaaaaan, I miss Fontina. It’s so good.

Carissa — August 19, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Mmmmm mushrooms. And pizza. And cheesy goodness. Yes please!

Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty — August 19, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

i’m so glad you joined the ranks of mushroom lovers. i feel so sad for anyone who’s missing out on mushroomy goodness but not because it means there are more for me ;)

A few sprigs of thyme all chopped up works really nicely with cooking the mushrooms this way as well.

Lindsey (One Sweet World) — August 19, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

This looks A-mazing. I love mushrooms.

I made pizza the other day for the first time, but my crust was HUGE. Way too thick. I just couldn’t get the dough to roll out enough. Do you have any tips??

• Jessica — August 19th, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

I wish I had some tips but unfortunately I know nothing about yeast breads/dough. Sometimes mine rises and sometimes it doesn’t. I often use the same recipe the crust turns out different every time. It is VERY frustrating!

• Amy — August 20th, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

When you roll out your dough and it starts moving in too much, stop and let it sit for 5 minutes. You just need to let the gluten relax. You can then start stretching again. You might have to repeat the resting a couple of times.

• Lindsey (One Sweet World) — August 23rd, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

Amy, thanks so much for your suggestion! I’ll certainly try that next time!

Biz — August 19, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

Love the smell of mushrooms, its a texture thing I can’t get around – but your pizza looks gorgeous!

Jessica — August 19, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Hi Jessica! This pizza sounds ah-may-zing!! When baking do you place the pizza directly on the oven rack or do you use some kind of baking sheet or pizza stone? Thanks!

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique — August 19, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

Yum! I love mushrooms and I love pizza. Great combination. :)

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — August 19, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

Yum!! Why do I always read your blog when I’m hungry…

Kayla — August 19, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

Mmm, I kind of love/hate mushrooms. They’re good, but sometimes….sometimes they gross me out.

Could you do a post with some recipes of yours that will pack well for school lunches? Thanks!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — August 19, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

I love the fungi! And a fun guy too :p

Esther — August 19, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

Dude, I want to like mushrooms SOOOO bad!
    Believe me, I’ve tried. Repeatedly. In all kinds of different variations. No luck yet, but I’m willing to keep trying, especially for something like this. And you’ve given me hope, since you were once upon a time a fungi hater and have been converted. Maybe I shall sauté some as you described.

Mellie — August 20, 2011 @ 12:10 am

Wow, this looks awesome! I wish I’d known about it 7 or 8 hours ago!

Erin — August 20, 2011 @ 1:06 am

I too am just learning the deliciousness of mushrooms! How did I despise them before??

Sonnet Gal — August 20, 2011 @ 6:43 am

So making this tonight!

Amy @ A Little Nosh — August 20, 2011 @ 7:38 am

I usually use Pioneer Woman’s dough recipe, and it’s really good, but I feel like this one has more…substance. Gonna try it this weekend!

Crissy K — August 20, 2011 @ 9:56 am

Do you make the pizza with our without a pizza stone?

• Jessica — August 20th, 2011 @ 10:04 am

It depends on what shape I make it, for this I just used a baking sheet since it was a weird shape.

CouponClippingCook — August 20, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

Love the homemade crust recipe. and of course all of the other ingredients too. the shape of it is fun too. sounds delicious.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — August 20, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Mushrooms are delicious. Welcome to the dark side…

Ann — August 20, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

Oh – this is fabulous! I adore mushrooms – but hubby can’t abide them….he doesn’t know what he’s missing!

WenDee Riffe — August 20, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

oh my i am going to have to try this pizza~~if i had my way i would eat pizza at the very least 4 days a week!!! total love~~

Katy — August 21, 2011 @ 4:17 am

definitely just made a variation of this tonight with some friends! the bacon is an absolute must and makes the pizza taste AMAZING. props for another great recipe!

Stephanie — August 21, 2011 @ 11:23 am

this looks awesome!!!! now can you teach my husband to believe that mushrooms won’t kill him

Shari — August 21, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

I made this pizza tonight and it was FABULOUS!!! Thanks so much for the great recipe :-)

Sara Hipkins — August 23, 2011 @ 6:53 am

Made this AMAZING pizza tonight & it was superb!!
    Less is def more with this one!! Mushy’s & bacon combo was a winner! Love it

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 23, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

Oh my goodness… This sounds amazing! Mushrooms and fontina? Heaven!

Chris — August 28, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

I made this today for dinner. I added sauteed red onions (with a bit of balsamic) with the mushrooms! SO good! Thanks for the delicious inspiration! =)

maria — January 13, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

Just made this! I carmelized my mushrooms in the bacon fat…..which totally felt like a move you’d pull. Totally yum

marla — September 5, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

I had this pizza at a friend’s house last weekend and it was amazingly delicious!!!! I will be making it this weekend with a nice salad…mmmmmmmmmm

Natalie — October 12, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

Made this tonight and it was fantastic! Wonderful with some wine after a long week! Thanks for the recipe!!

Raneen — December 25, 2012 @ 7:45 am

Just tried this recipe. The crust turned out fantastic, so fluffy (and doubled in size when in the oven).
    Olive oil, garlic and cheese………mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

• Alice Mag — October 15th, 2013 @ 7:22 pm

Can you make this recipe more “user friendly”? I’m sure it will be delicious, but it took 8 pieces of paper and then the printing is so small it is hardly readable!!

Rose — October 21, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

I hope you’ll see this comment–can I make this pizza crust in my new Cuisinart food processor?

1. Pingback: Whole Wheat Fontina Portobello Pizza, Steamed Broccoli « Blissful Hope

2. Pingback: Recipe Roundup: August 26, 2011 | The JBF Blog

3. Pingback: Greek Pizza | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Greek Pizza « missapplebutter

5. Pingback: Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Superbowl Sunday & Turkey White Bean Chili!

7. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday - Adventures in Life, Love and Librarianship