At 6PM last night, the last thing on my mind were cupcakes.

Fluffernutter Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Until I looked at this bowl of batter.

After a magical food-and-wine filled weekend, all I wanted was a normal one-course dinner without 3 forks and 2 spoons. Since I was staying near the airport to gain easy access to my flight this morning, I dragged myself to the nearest restaurant and plopped down in the booth.

I ordered, I ate and I even declined the dessert menu because surely nothing was going to taste as incredible as the vanilla bean panna cotta I ate twice this weekend. Then I reached for my wallet.

But all I found in my purse was four lip glosses, a few hair-brush fur balls, makeup removing face wipes and like six hundred unorganized receipts. That does not a wallet make.

Fluffernutter Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Uh… what? I was at dinner alone, in a city I’ve never been, with a fully cleaned plate, a 16-year old going on 12-year old server, and an absence of all credit cards and cash. Surely things could have been worse, but I tend to be a bit of a dramatic snot and began to panic.

So I asked if I could see the dessert menu.

Surprisingly I wasn’t fretting over my wallet… I knew for sure that it was in my hotel room [sitting pretty on this really gross orange leather couch that I’m currently staring at – yeah]… the hotel room that I had to blindly walk four blocks to with a 50+ pound suitcase and two carry on bags after the driver dropped me off at the wrong hotel, then left. You know… that hotel.

Fluffernutter Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

I ordered some banana cream pie to go, and when Justin Bieber my server brought me a square of styrofoam, I asked if he could also bring me some chocolate cheesecake. I needed to be sure to have the Rolls Royce of dessert take-out considering this was my only plan for collateral. After getting the check, I looked him straight in the eye and was all, “I know you don’t believe me but I seriously left my wallet in my hotel room. You can search me, search my purse, keep my dessert, just please let me run over and get it, and I promise I’ll be back with a big tip for you.”

Fluffernutter Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

He just sort of stared at me.

I left. I ran. I demagnetized my seventh (not even exaggerating) hotel key of the weekend and got an eighth, grabbed my wallet from it’s orange perch, ran back, paid his wide eyes since he assumed I was a goner, then came back to my hotel with two giant containers of dessert. I opened the boxes to see two stereotypical I-pulled-these-out-of-the-freezer-three-hours-ago-and-defrosted-them-next-to-the-frozen-chicken-fingers slices of dessert, which immediately made me want to cry after eating such incredible treats this weekend. Nothing is more disappointing than flash frozen fake dessert.

Fluffernutter Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

So that’s my story. It has nothing to do with these fluffernutter cupcakes, which oddly enough I came home and made after our seven course dinner last Friday night. Something about large quantities of food lends me crazy inspiration. We ate them for dessert after our game-day meatballs, and I really did forget how much I loved them until I saw the first batter picture up there. It is quite possible I consumed more cupcakes in batter form than in cake form.

It happens.

Fluffernutter Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Peanut Butter Cupcakes with a Marshmallow Swirl

[adapted from my peanut butter cupcakes]

makes about 12 cupcakes

1/4 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup milk

1/2 cup peanut butter morsels

2/3 cup marshmallow fluff

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and peanut butter together in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and eggs and beat together until fluffy. Add vanilla and mix for another minute or so.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in peanut butter morsels and marshmallow fluff.

Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 350. Let cool completely before frosting.

Note: since the marshmallow fluff can harden a bit, I would advise making these cupcakes the same day you eat them.

Peanut Butter Frosting

2 tablespoons butter, softened

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1-2 teaspoons milk, if needed

Beat butter and peanut butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until creamy. Add in vanilla extract, then with the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2-3 minutes until fully combined, scraping down the sides. If frosting is too thick, add in milk and beat for 1-2 minutes more. Fill a pastry bag with frosting or using a spoon, poke a hole into the cupcake and fill.

Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting

1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff

3 cups of powdered sugar

Beat butter in the bowl of electric mixer until creamy. Add in fluff and beat for 2-3 minutes, then add in vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until fully incorporated. Once all the sugar has been added, beat on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes. If mixture if too runny, add a bit more sugar. If it’s too thick, add a bit of milk one tablespoon at a time. Frost cupcakes and drizzle with melted peanut butter if desired.

Fluffernutter Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

It should be illegal for me to buy marshmallow fluff. Seriously.

189 Responses to “Fluffernutter Cupcakes.”

Carie — September 26, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

why do you keep doing this to me!!! (a.k.a., You are a goddess!!!)

Becki's Whole Life — September 26, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

Your story is hilarious..the frosting with the marshmallow looks delicious and who doesn’t like a fluffernutter…I haven’t had one in years actually. I also haven’t introduced my kids to fluff because I am afraid that is all they would ever want to eat…esp. my little one who btw calls JB – Justin Beaver…which makes me laugh at your description of your waiter even harder:-)

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — September 26, 2011 @ 10:44 pm

I pretty much want to face plant in that butter cream. Peanut butter and marshmallows are totally the new peanut butter and jelly.

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — September 26, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

Oh and I’ve definitely done the same kind of thing with my wallet. I seriously thought they’d make me wash dishes or call the cops. I’m so dramatic.

Ann — September 26, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

Not illegal to buy fluffernutter….but what you do with them should be illegal! Wow – you are AMAZING!

Kitten — September 26, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

I have to make these this week! Posts like these make me want to come bake with you!

Maegyn — September 26, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

“Fluffernutter” sounds dirty to me… anybody else thing so? No? Just me? Okay then.

Anyway, these look tasty :)

• Pam — September 27th, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Totally agree! I giggle while I stuff them into my face.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — September 27, 2011 @ 12:52 am

Hilarity at its height! That server must have breathe a sigh of relief upon seeing you. Can’t say the same for you as soon as you opened to dive into the dessert takeaways.

Bet this Fluffernutter cupcakes made up for all those mishaps.

Olivia — September 27, 2011 @ 2:22 am

Anyone know where to get marshmallow fluff in Australia?

• Pam — September 27th, 2011 @ 9:55 am

I can give you a recipe for homemade fluff if you can’t find any.

• Jessica — September 27th, 2011 @ 11:48 am

I’d love to see one – please post it!

• Pam — September 27th, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

This is from the cookbook Marshmallows by Eileen Talanian. If you have the means, I highly recommend. She has 22 flavor variations for fluff in the book.

Vanilla Fluff

For the base:
          1/2 cup water
          1 1/4 cup light corn syrup
          1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

For the egg foam:
          4 large egg whites, at room temperature
          1/8 tsp salt

Additional flavoring:
          2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Place the base ingredients into a heavy 2 quart saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and boil for 2 minutes. Remove the cover, insert a candy thermometer, and boil to 240 degrees F. Do not stir the mixture once the lid has been removed. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to cool for 3 or 4 minutes.

When the temperature of the base reaches 220 degrees F, place the whites and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until thick, fluffy and opaque. When the base reaches 240 degrees, slowly stream it down the side of the mixer bowl, taking care not to let the base get into the beater so it doesn’t splash. Drizzle in the vanilla. Turn the speed up to high and beat for 7 minutes. Transfer the fluff to a plastic container, cover,and store in the fridge for up to two weeks.

• Jessica — September 27th, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

Wow – thank you!!

• Julie — September 30th, 2011 @ 11:39 am

Holy Fluffernutter cow. I do NOT need a recipe for homemade fluff. I could exist on the stuff. Thank you for the recipe. These cupcakes will be made this weekend. Can’t wait!! Thanks for that recipe as well.

btw, my stomach dropped when I was reading about your wallet…yikes. I should not get so into blog posts, but I live vicariously through them. :)

• Julie — September 30th, 2011 @ 11:58 am

I’m a bit confused on the temps for the base. It says to let it cool to 220 and start the egg whites. Then when base to 240, slowly add to egg whites. Is this correct? Just checking. Thanks!

Laina — September 27, 2011 @ 10:00 am

I loved that David Lebovitz linked these on his facebook page. Guess that makes you a mega-goddess!

Stephanie — September 27, 2011 @ 10:52 am

Thank you for this blog. I usually get tired of food blogs after a while, but yours is written with such a fun voice and such creative recipes that I just keep coming back for more.

• Jessica — September 27th, 2011 @ 11:47 am

Thanks so much Stephanie – that means a lot.

Anna Bee — September 27, 2011 @ 11:02 am

This is the cutest post ever! I love how you asked for dessert just so they would let you go get your wallet. That’s very witty and cute! I can imagine how disappointing it could be to see those frozen desserts but the story is great! Have a nice week!

Kelsey — September 27, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Definitely read this post yesterday and made these last night. Everyone ate work devoured them! Thank you!!!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — September 27, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

I have fears of working with marshmallow fluff…but Peter would die for these. Maybe I can set aside my marshmallow fluff hatred of sticky for him and his bday???

Darcy — September 27, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

I found your blog thru Tara the Foodie. Instantly signed up to follow just based on the recipes on the first page. Fluffernutter Cupcakes?? How could you not want to follow and bake these amazaing sounding cupcakes??

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — September 27, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

I am SO making these. I had a similar cupcake at a bakery recently, and it was HEAVENLY! I’m sure yours will be just as amazing (or even more so!). Thank you for the idea! :)

P.S. I emailed you about a week ago about another cupcake recipe. I just had a question about subbing Golden Oreos for regular Oreos in your “Cookies and Cream” cupcakes. Do you think it would work?? Thanks! :)

• Jessica — September 27th, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

Ah, sorry girl! I’m so behind on emails right now from my trip. I definitely think so! :)

Stephanie — September 27, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

Thank you for your blog! I stumbled upon it late Sunday night after finally putting my 5 month old to bed. This is the first blog that I subscribed to and I am so happy I did. I love to cook and bake and have been cooking since I was a child….helping my mom (who loves sweet treats)! As I mentioned, I have a 5 month old (and a very busy four year old son who loves to help me in the kitchen) and I have lost the majority of my “baby weight” by having tea and something sweet at night once the kids are asleep (along with eating well and regular exercise of course!). To make a long story short….I made these cupcakes yesterday afternoon and they are out of this world! I gave 6 cupcakes to my mother in law …. If not I probably would’ve eaten more than I should! Looking forward to checking out other posts:)

• Jessica — September 27th, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

Thank you so much for reading!

Nicki — September 27, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

Those look so good!! I need some marshmallow fluff. Stat!

Ladiz — September 27, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

Hi ! I was reading this i gottasay it looks so yummy, i cant wait to try it. Also i was wonderin, have you ever done mint julep cupcakes? I know it has vegetable, and by vegetable i mean mint. Also it has Burbon or wiskey, since ive read about you guys liking that sort of thing, i thought about sugesting it. Whatever you do i sure will try it. You are a great baker and funny as well. :)

Mariko — September 27, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

It is now illegal for you to buy fluff. You are not allowed to post pictures of something so delectable that it might cause me to buy it! DANG IT! :)

Alexia @ NamasteYoga — September 28, 2011 @ 3:11 am

You are such an artist! the muffins look amazing! I will definitely stop by again for more inspiration!

April — September 29, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

This is fabulous! I have one question… do you fill the cupcakes with the peanut butter frosting AND frost with the marshmallow frosting? I am assuming it’s one or the other, but one can never tell with you!

• Jessica — September 29th, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

I filled mine with just peanut butter, but you can surely do both. :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 29, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

Those are some pretty special cupcakes!! Mmmmm!

Lyda — September 30, 2011 @ 8:03 am

This looks delicious! I had a slight addition to marshmallow fluff straight from the jar in college so these are really bringing back some good memories :) Random question, can self-rising flour be used instead of all-purpose flour and baking soda? Thanks!

• Jessica — September 30th, 2011 @ 11:13 am

I honestly have no clue – I’ve never used self rising flour!

• Judith B. — October 1st, 2011 @ 11:00 am

Self-rising flour definitely can be used. Self-rising flour is just all purpose flour with the leavening agents already mixed in for you.

Jennifer B. — September 30, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

The night after you posted this recipe, I had a dream that I made vanilla-raspberry swirl cupcakes with marshmallow fluff frosting. It apparently was an assignment for my English class (?), but I failed because my coworkers ate all of them before I could get them to class. I blame you.

Laura — September 30, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

Well that hit the spot!!

I am a teacher. Baking is a stress relief. And let me tell you, making these cupcakes on a Friday afternoon was just what I needed after this week!

Deb B — October 1, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

I am guessing on the homemade fluff that once the base drops to 200 degrees??? you start to add to the whites???

megan — October 2, 2011 @ 8:56 am

just bought some fluff and can’t wait to make these…however, because I loathe leaving my laptop on the counter while I bake (cause it will get ineveitably a mess), I want to print this recipe, but when I click the print button, it only shows me the ending info (your blog name and some other legal jargon)…is the problem on my end, or is there an issue with your print link and this recipe??? If you could let me know that would be great…otherwise I’ll be forced to use pen and paper…oy!!

• Jessica — October 2nd, 2011 @ 9:39 am

sorry about that – fixed it!

Emily — October 2, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

I just want to tell you how happy I am that I found your blog. You make the most amazing food, and i’ve made it my goal to try all of your recipes! I am going to get fat but I dont care, your recipes are worth it! My friend and I are always trying new foods with fluff and peanut butter and this catered perfectly to our tastebuds! Can’t wait to make them :)

M — October 2, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

Made these today… AMAZING!!!!!

Maria — October 6, 2011 @ 4:32 am

Those look awesome!!! I’ve never even tried marshmallow fluff…my dad won’t buy them.

Ashley — October 8, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

I have been wanting to make these since I saw your post, and as I type this they are just came out of the oven and are cooling… well trying to cool. I don’t think I can’t wait much longer to try these out. Thanks for the post!

Jean — October 9, 2011 @ 12:41 am

These sound fabulous but I’m confused. The cupcake recipe asks you to fold in peanut butter morsels but they aren’t listed with the ingredients. I think the cupcakes will be awesome without them but am wondering how many to use if I choose to. Thanks.

Jane Pilanski — October 17, 2011 @ 6:43 pm
    Haley — November 8, 2011 @ 10:18 am

Being a native Rhode Islander, the home of the Fluffernutter sandwich (it’s our state food, you know!) I can’t wait to try these! I thought I must have been dreaming when I scrolled through your receipe archives and came across this! Thank you so much!

jillian — December 29, 2011 @ 12:47 am

Do you think it would taste alright with chocolate morsels instead of peanut butter morsels?

Andrea (questfordelish) — January 8, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

I bought one of these at crumb bake shop. I love that I can make my own. thanks for sharing.

Katie @ OhShineOn — January 25, 2012 @ 9:36 am

Count me in on this cupcake party. In my haste to stop eating my peanut butter by the gallon, i threw out my jar in the trash… I should really go buy some more.

Nicole — February 20, 2012 @ 2:02 am

What are peanut butter morsels?

Nicole — February 20, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

My cupcakes kept on dropping in the center. I realized that the inside was completely raw batter when the top was burnt. This happens to me alot and I was wondering why.
    On the other hand, the marshmallow frosting was the best I have ever had! It was like eating heaven on a stick!

• Jessica — February 20th, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

Few reasons! First check your baking powder/soda (whatever the cupcake recipe you’re using calls for) – are they expired? If so, that could be the culprit. Also your oven temp may be off a bit (they are all different) – the best way to check it using an oven thermometer and adjust accordingly. Another thing I’ve heard is that opening the oven multiple times during baking can cause cakes to fall!

Amarachi — August 10, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

Just made these and they are ridiculously delicious. I made my own marshmallow fluff from Annie’s Eats.com for this recipe and it was so worth it. I halved the recipe which was pretty easy with a scale. Jessica thank you because these are so frickin good!

1. Pingback: Peanut Butter & Fluff Cupcake Recipe by How Sweet It Is | Cakeology

2. Pingback: FlufferNutter Cupcakes | Fields of Gold

3. Pingback: Holy Delicious. «

4. Pingback: Excuses To Shop, Thanksgiving, and Baileys. | It's Unbeweavable!

5. Pingback: A Productive Saturday and My Obsession with Google Reader « sewrational

6. Pingback: Caffeine Withdrawal | lovable.oddity.

7. Pingback: Hours « the Bulimic Baker

8. Pingback: Wine Teeth and S(hit)tles Vodka Shots « the Bulimic Baker

9. Pingback: Fluffernutter Cupcakes | Emily Eat Good

10. Pingback: Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Marshmallow Fluff Frosting « Tales of an Overtime Cook

11. Pingback: Day thirty eight… | Single Rider…

12. Pingback: hot cocoa thumbprints | Pink Tiger in the Kitchen

13. Pingback: Happy National Fluffernutter Day | Barcellona Bites Blog

14. Pingback: Favorite Finds on a Friday! | Health, happiness, and a mug of positiviTEA!

15. Pingback: In Honor Of National Peanut Butter And Jelly Day, Here Are The Best Things To Do With PB&J