I feel like a big, fat cheater.

White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Many moons ago I made you chewy oatmeal cookies.

Long ago and far away (what? not really.) I made you peanut butter cookies.

Most of you are smart (er than me) and already combined the two… and while I’m a little late to the game I’d like to ask you a question: can I come live at your house? I promise not to act like a total stooge.

White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

These cookies are a complete copout because they are just a marriage of those other flavors I’ve made. Simple, easy, copy cat. But sometimes… sometimes I just can’t think of anything else. Sometimes my brain is mush. I walk around in a fog. I mix whacked out ingredients like cheese and something that doesn’t go with cheese. (Which, let’s be honest… is nothing.) Sometimes I just can’t think of anything to make. The ship has sailed.

I also whine about it a lot.

I definitely don’t hide the fact that I’m unequivocally annoying.

You’re so lucky you’re not here.

White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Sigh.

So.

I’ve been feeling a little lost in the baking department lately. My brain is devoid of any interesting creations and my last batch of cupcakes exploded then sunk in the middle. And the truth is, even though my teeth could not possibly get any sweeter, I prefer cooking over baking. I loathe… and I mean loathe… following directions. Hence my cupcakes’ sunken explosion. And last week’s sexy 1990s-inspired trifle, complete with Cool Whip in the instructions. And my copout cookies that I only made for you… my invisible internet friends. Oh! I guess I also made them for my visible friends (read: blood relatives) during game day yesterday… but here in Pittsburgh can we even say we watched a game?

That’s what I thought.

White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

[adapted from the giant rainbow cookies]

makes about 18 cookies

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup of old fashioned rolled oats

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted and cooled

6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup white chocolate morsels/chunks

1/2 cup peanut butter morsels

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add butter and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments until melted. Let cool completely.

Mix the flour, oats, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter/peanut butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to bring it all together. If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of milk, but I did not need this. Fold in white chocolate and peanut butter chips.

Shape the dough into a ball the size of a golfball. Place on a baking sheet two inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and slightly puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Oh and P.S.: these cookies taste good.

131 Responses to “White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies.”

Alexa Ray — September 12, 2011 @ 11:50 am

I have an idea for you! When I was in my super cooking rut, I did two things.
    1. I ran away to New York City for a few days.
    2. I bought out almost everything in this store: http://www.tfsnyc.com/home

There have a bunch of different flavored oils and vinegars and salts (my favorite combo is the Persian Lime olive oil + coconut vinegar as a chicken marinade). And while I ran out of these very fast they did help me discover new flavor pairings and new sauce ideas!

Noelle — September 12, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

Your next post will read “How Jessica Got her Groove Back” Here is me sending you inspiration because can have my cooking inspiration. I rather NOT be in the kitchen right now at 40 days away from giving birth. I rather eat out or someone cook for me. Personal chef anyone? These cookies sound yummy. I might just make THESE! :D

• kelly V — September 12th, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

noelle where do you live? i’ll cook….:D

• Noelle — September 12th, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

Ha ha ha, you are too sweet. I am in East Lansing and you?

• kelly V — September 12th, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Grand Rapids :D

CouponClippingCook — September 12, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

These cookies look like they are cooked perfectly…so moist. Love the combination of flavors.

Amy @ A Little Nosh — September 12, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

Is it lame that I can’t stand white chocolate?

• Jessica — September 12th, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

I’m not really a fan of it either… unless it’s baked into something.

• Sarah@TheCyclist'sWife — September 13th, 2011 @ 1:11 am

But for some reason it goes so well with peanut butter…it is a mystery, but a tasty one.

mis-cakes — September 12, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

ya following directions kinda sucks. i still am not very good at it and usually when I try to get crazy creative things go bad. very bad. there is cursing involved. and throwing things. but these cookies looks super yum. there will never be anything wrong with peanut butter and chocolate!

Bianca — September 12, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

They look delicious anyway :) I love your blog!

• Jessica — September 12th, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Thank you!

Maia — September 12, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Never apologize for creating/sharing such comforting, sweetly savory little cookie gems as these! They remind me of a shop my mom used to take us to in LA called “Diddy Reese.” They had the most to die for cookies in supremely delicious unfussy flavors and combinations.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — September 12, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

Oohh, these are being made today. This is happening.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — September 12, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

These look perfectly soft and sweet…just the way I like ‘em! Yum!

natalie — September 12, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

my favourite type of cookie, ever!

Ellen — September 12, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Still love love LOVE your blog! And your cookies not only look and sound delicious, but always have a perfect shape! Still waiting to see a cookbook offer announcement ;)

Irishbaker — September 12, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

These look delicious.Soft & chewy!

Jessica @ Bake a Little — September 12, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

These look delish! Love the mix of the white chocolate in there!

Katie — September 12, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

I’m a fan of piling on the flavors…even repeat flavors. Just keep going. Next cookie you make could be “white chocolate peanut butter oatmeal mocha” or something like that. Or add sprinkles. I’d eat them – no question.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — September 12, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

I’m the opposite as you. I like to follow directions, so I love baking. Must be the type-A personality in me! ;)

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — September 12, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

I feel you. But I have no doubt that you will bounce back very soon. We’ll still be here, don’t worry!

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — September 12, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

Oatmeal cookies are my absolutely favorite. You totally took it to another level with the addition of peanut butter.

Esther — September 12, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

Oh I know how it feels to be reallly uninspired. But. You still managed to crank out some amazing looking cookies!
    Here’s something that made me think of you:

• Jessica — September 12th, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

OMG I’ve made blueberry caramel before and it is DELICIOUS!!

Lisa @ Life in Green — September 12, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

These sure are some pretty looking cookies. I’m pretty sure you being uninspired…is equal to my being incredibly inspired. Ha

Jihane @SinfulSundays — September 12, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

The cookies look pretty fabulous to me. Love the white chocolate you threw in.

Claire H. — September 12, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

Go Ravens! :)

Sandra — September 12, 2011 @ 8:21 pm

These cookies look achingly good. You really do such a wonderful job baking and cooking and leave me such great inspiration!

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas — September 12, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

Aghhh. the joys of peanut butter. I love peanut butter cookies, but I love them even more when their is something crunchy to crunch on with them. Nothin’ like some crunchy buttah :)

Blond Duck — September 12, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

These sound just what I’ve been looking for!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — September 12, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

I have recently developed an unhealthy obsession with white chocolate chips. I made these cookies from the Picky Palate once a few months ago and have have made them… oh maybe 10 times since. It’s a problem. http://www.stylishstealthyandhealthy.com/2011/07/11/these-cookies-cant-live-here/

A delicious, salty, sweet, white chocolate-with-pretzels-on-top problem.

erin — September 12, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

You just took my 3 most favorite things to eat and put them in one cookie. GOOD JOB.

Becki@beckiswholelife — September 12, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

I am a huge fan of white chocolate chips – these look amazing:-)

Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño — September 12, 2011 @ 11:22 pm

If there was ever a time to cheat it would be for these, they look amazing. Love it.
    Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño

Hannah — September 13, 2011 @ 12:12 am

If being you is being a cheater, then we should all hope to be so immoral.

Amanda Celeste — September 13, 2011 @ 2:44 am

These look so delicious!

Katharine — September 13, 2011 @ 2:50 am

Speaking of cheese:

While living in DC I worked at a late-night crepe restaurant that would do build-your-owns for no extra charge. One guy would always come in and order a Nutella and cheese (mozz) crepe. Finally, my coworkers and I got curious enough to make and try one.

It was delicious.

Lisa — September 13, 2011 @ 8:26 am

these look amazingg. i love when cookies have that doughy look! def be trying these :)
    on a side note…im the 100th commenter. hahah, yea who cares, I know, but just felt like adding that in for a laugh ;)

Sandra — September 13, 2011 @ 11:13 am

I am totally in love with white chocolate! Hope you find your mojo soon.

Lauren — September 13, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

For “no inspiration,” these are great! You really can’t lose with peanut butter, chocolate and oats.

Jenni — September 13, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

Aak! I recently subscribed to your blog. I love it…I cannot believe I didn’t start reading sooner! (This may not mean much since I just started reading, but I don’t think it’s a cop-out–more like brilliant.) I have been trying to bake my husband some kind of dessert once a month this year (I hate cooking (he does that)-but I like baking on occasion!). I sent this link to him, and his immediate response was, “i will take those pb cookies please and thank you!” Pretty sure when I get around to baking these, they will become his new favorites. Thanks for sharing this!!

Jen — September 13, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

As a Pittsburgh native… you are definitely right that there was no game on Sunday. Pathetic. However, dem Stillers will bounce back.

I just discovered your blog. I tried reading other food blogs but yours is the only one that I can’t seem to get off of! Love the photos, recipes, and your writing style. You make me lol.

I made your S’mores pie. It was outrageously good. Thanks!

Jen

PS. Do you have any good French breakfast pastries? I’m kind of obsessed with pastries.

• Jessica — September 13th, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

Thanks so much Jen! I’ve never made pastries before on the site, but I just made some croissants today that I will be posting soon. :)

Happy When Not Hungry — September 13, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

I don’t care if these cookies are copouts are not! They look fabulous!

Ann — September 13, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

Fabulous! I love reading your blog. I do a once a month baking “indulgence” and it was just the other day….but these are OMG amazing! Beautiful photos – as always!

shelly (cookies and cups) — September 14, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

Love these cookies. My husband is addicted to white chocolate Reeses, so these he would love.
    And if I was a good wife I would make them for him.

Maybe tomorrow ;)

Jen — September 16, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

I love big, fat cheaters! I have a 7 year old who dislike chocolate, but adores white chocolate. I’ll run this one past him. Thanks, fatty cheater face!

Kristi Wong — September 16, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

I added too much sugar!!! Now I have to start all over :(

Stefanie — September 19, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recipe!!! I made them last night. I just couldn’t help myself and ate one right out of the oven before it cooled. So delicious. Yankee Candle needs to make a candle remniscent of the aroma in my kitchen last night. :) Thanks again!

Angie — October 9, 2011 @ 11:47 am

The filling station is so great! Here is a combo: dark chocolate balsamic vinegar and blood orange olive oil…dip a little bread. It is so delicious. A friend of mine brought it from NYC to a party we were having. I still dream of it and want to order some!

Stefanie — December 16, 2011 @ 9:36 am

Okay, I’m back. I’ve made these several times now and they are great-tasting when they come right out of the oven, but after a few hours they become as hard as a brick! What could I be doing wrong???

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:37 am

Wow, I’ve definitely never heard that. Maybe try baking them for 1-3 minutes less?

mrsblocko — December 16, 2011 @ 10:07 am

These cookies were rockin awesome. I made them and wrote about them here.

Thank you so much for posting the recipe. It’s a keeper!

Danielle — February 13, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

I love this recipe! Second time I have made them :). For some reason though my cookies puff up instead of spread out? Maybe because I don’t sift the flour?? Do you know what could be going wrong?? Thank you for all of the amazing posts!

• anickH — April 10th, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

i think these cookies are “supposed” to puff up. and honestly, since when was puffy a bad thing? most people, it seems like, are trying to avoid the spread out factor. anyway, i think that’s a flour/altitude issue. For me if i increase flour by 1/4 cup my cookies puff. If I decrease flour by 1/4 cup they spread. so I usually increase my flour cuz i like puffy cookies but apparently you don’t? so i would suggest using a little less flour. but Jessica is the expert so maybe she knows better…

Sabina — June 3, 2012 @ 10:57 am

ok so i made these the other day and honestly they were the best cookies i’ve ever had in my life.
    thank you!

Kylee Newkirk — April 24, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

There’s just something special about homemade cookies, especially chocolate chip cookies, so far as I’m concerned. It’s a great family activity, something even children can help with, and everyone loves eating the results.;

<With best regards ^-^^"http://www.caramoan.co/

Shawn Graybeal — January 20, 2014 @ 9:24 pm

I can totally relate to your loathing in following directions…I am the same. And I have had many filed experiments:)
    These look awesome. Thanks for sharing!

1. Pingback: Friday Favorites

2. Pingback: Yummy Mistake-White Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars

3. Pingback: Housewarming Gifts « Treble in the Kitchen

4. Pingback: TT- Fall Follies

5. Pingback: Christmas Ginger Sandwich Cookies |

6. Pingback: Brown Butter Oatmeal Chunk Cookies | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Pretzel Crusted Peanut Butter Blondies with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting & Easter Recipe Roundup | The Spiffy Cookie

9. Pingback: Anonymous