I might lick my screen a few times today.

Because these are easily my new favorite side dish. Or meal.

Gah. I can’t even…

Obviously I can’t talk. They are just so good.

Now before you go all crazy on me, I’m well aware that truffle oil doesn’t actually have truffles it in. And that it’s trendy and occasionally overrated. But I’m here to unapologetically tell you that I love it so much that I might just drink it straight from the bottle one of these days when I really come unglued.

Maybe that’s because I live in a sheltered, naive, uneducated culinary bubble, but… yeah. I like what I like. In fact… maybe! I would like this on vegetables?? Dude, I totally have to try that.

For now these work. They may not taste quite as perfect as their fried counterpart, but I think they’re the next best thing.

Plus, I think a ridiculously overprice bottle of truffle oil is an investment. And as soon as I’m finished writing this post, I’m going to rightfully make my winning argument on the topic to my husband. And I may include a little blurb about shoes too. Because we sure as heck know that those are an investment… and it’s time to expand to my portfolio.

Oven-Crisped Parmesan and Sage Truffle Fries

serves 2-4

4 medium russet potatoes, cut into wedges

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges

1-2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

a big handful of sage leaves

white truffle oil for drizzling

1/4 cup freshly finely grated parmesan cheese

a big pinch of flaked sea salt or truffle salt [I used this wild mushroom salt I bought on vacation in Michigan]

fresh basil, chopped for topping

Place potato wedges in a large bowl and fill with water. Let soak for 30-60 minutes, occasionally sloshing the water, dumping it, and refilling with fresh water. Remove from bowl, lay on a dry towel and pat dry.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray the rack with non-stick spray.

Put potatoes back in large clean and dry bowl, then drizzle with olive oil. Refrain from using a lot – you just need a tiny bit to help the potatoes crisp. Using your hands, coat the potatoes in the oil. Sprinkle with sage leaves, salt, pepper, garlic and paprika, and mix to coat again. Lay potatoes on the wire rack in a single layer, with most of the sage lying on top. Bake for 25 minutes, then flip and bake for 25 minutes more.

Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese. Place fries on a platter, then lightly drizzle truffle oil over potatoes, sprinkle with finishing salt and remaining cheese. Top with fresh basil. Serve immediately. [If you make these ahead of time or reheat, they will still be flavorful but not crispy.]

Leave it to me to find a way to make eating vegetables ridiculously expensive.

109 Responses to “Oven-Crisped Parmesan and Sage Truffle Fries.”

Dara — October 21, 2011 @ 10:45 am

“Because we sure as heck know that those are an investment… and it’s time to expand to my portfolio.” HA! Thank you for that (and for the recipe, as always). Work has been brutally despite it only being 10:45 and this put a very necessary smile on my face :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — October 21, 2011 @ 11:07 am

I’ve never tried baking fries on a rack, can’t wait to see if this helps them crisp up more. I love fries, but bakes ones never get as crispy as I want them to be!

Roxana GreenGirl — October 21, 2011 @ 11:12 am

this might be one of our favorite dishes too. Love truffle oil.
    BTW, if you have a Home Goods close by, they sell it for under $10. It’s a good investment, just like shoes and purses ;)

Claire — October 21, 2011 @ 11:15 am

I was introduced to truffle oil this past summer… I would just open the bottle and smell it because the smell is delicious! I used it on top of pizza and mac and cheese, it seriously makes EVERYTHING tastes amazing! Can’t wait to try it with some ‘taters!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 21, 2011 @ 11:21 am

Now I have an excuse to finally use the truffle salt I have in the cabinet. I won it but haven’t used it yet. I really should have picked truffle oil to go with it huh? I got flavored instead – silly me.

• Carol — March 22nd, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

Have you tried truffle salt on popcorn?? To die for!

Dianna — October 21, 2011 @ 11:35 am

I love how 2 russet potatoes and 2 sweet potatoes will feed 2 to 4….

Annie — October 21, 2011 @ 11:39 am

These look delicious, Jessica! What’s the purpose of soaking the potatoes before hand? Does it release starch?

• Jessica — October 21st, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Yep – helps them crisp up in the oven!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — October 21, 2011 @ 11:42 am

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Truffle oil doesn’t have truffles in it? See, I’m even more culinarily uneducated than you! Bet these would be good with crispy sage on top too. I’m addicted to fried sage.

betty — October 21, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Just by saying that this is your new favorite it is now on my MUST DO NOW list, yes it is full and my tummy is growing but I don’t care (:

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — October 21, 2011 @ 11:48 am

Those do look amazing. I think I was licking my screen too.

Can’t wait to see which shoes you pick out…

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — October 21, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

I’ve had the truffle oil fries at the Ritz before, and they were BY FAR the best fries I have ever eaten in my life. So I’m sure these are just as amazing. LOVE the idea!

Katie — October 21, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

That first shot with the water running over the vegetables?! So gosh darn gorgeous. I want to come watch you cook sometime…I imagine your kitchen like Ina Garten’s…with everything looking so perfect and simple.

Maya — October 21, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

I love how you make me want to eat things like truffle french fries at 8 am :)

Amanda — October 21, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

I’m not sure I’ve ever had truffle oil…I’m scared to know how much it costs. haha

This is a great line: “Leave it to me to find a way to make eating vegetables ridiculously expensive.” Hey, whatever gets you to eat them, right? :)

Sarah — October 21, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

Dang, now I need truffle oil!

Erica — October 21, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

I’ve never tried this oil! I’m totally intrigued. These look delicious!

Rachel — October 21, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

I had these fries at a restaurant last week. Gaaaaaaaaaaah, to die for!

Obviously they looked nowhere near as delicious as yours do.

Would it be wrong to make and eat a whole batch (oooor two) of these?! They’re vegetables so it’s OK right?!

collette — October 21, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Truffle oil is THE best! Love it in mashed potatoes with parmesan cheese! And I know you don’t like your veggies BUT if you take raw cabbage, slice it fine, add some raw shredded carrots, a tablespoon of butter, S&P and a bit of truffle oil, and simmer until veggies are soft- it is AMAZING! Even hubby who HATES cooked carrots likes it!!

Yum Yucky — October 21, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

Girl, you are just fancy fancy fancy.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — October 21, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

Oh my! I am basically drooling over here. Truffle oil is AMAZING–it can spruce up any dish. I love it added to creamy pasta dishes. I could eat this all up!

Chloe@LightOnMyFeet — October 21, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

Thank you!!! I have a bottle of unopened truffle oil that I’ve been wanting to use but have no idea what to use it in. I will definitely be trying these. Also mainly because they have parmesan cheese on ‘em :)

erin — October 21, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

I’m in 100% agreement with your investment strategy… and those look great!

Biana @ TastyGalaxy.com — October 21, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

These look great! I like roasted fries, easier to make, and they taste delicious.

JulieD — October 21, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

Love this! Must try…I had truffle oil fries in Nashville and am in love!

Maria — October 21, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

My mouth is watering!

Cara — October 21, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

A great variation on these would be to replace the basil with parsley and the parm with Stilton. Stilton fries will make you weep with joy!

Vera — October 21, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

Now I’m dying to buy truffle oil!

Lauren @ Recipes for a Quarterlife — October 22, 2011 @ 12:08 am

sage AND basil?! yay!!!

Tracy — October 22, 2011 @ 10:14 am

OMG I just added truffle oil to my grocery list and I don’t care how expensive it is, I must make these now! Your creativity is amazing – I don’t know how you continue to come up with these amazing recipes!

CouponClippingCook — October 22, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

Love all of the flavors going on in this recipe and it’s so pretty with the different colored potatoes!

Abby — October 22, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Wow! Those look amazing! Great work! Great pics!

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 23, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Oh man! These look great!! I thought at first you fried them, glad to know there baked! I am going to make this to go with dinner tonight! Thanks!!!

Trifle Recipe — October 23, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

These look great! I can’t wait to make them.

Cherine — October 23, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

Those look irresistible!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 23, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

Those fries are intense, and amazing, and I WANT THEM.

Ashley @ Sprinkles & Spreadsheets — October 23, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

Wow those would make an impressive appetizer. They look delicious.

Katie @ ohshineon.wordpress.com/ — October 23, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

jessica,
    your pictures are absolutely phenomenal! how on earth do you make them look so good? every time i read your blog i want to lick my computer. this recipe looks to-die-for. will i be trying it soon? yes. like today? yes.

– katie at http://www.ohshineon.wordpress.com/

Editorial Team @ Healthy Aperture — October 23, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

Sage is a sweet potato’s best friend.

These look delish. We love them.

Laura — October 23, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

Those Fries look so good!

Allie M — October 24, 2011 @ 12:46 am

I must say, looking at the photos before the ingredient list, I thought the russets were pickles and promptly gagged til I read the directions. LOL Now, they sound wonderful!

John — October 28, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

To the above commenter, I thought they looked like pickles too, LOL. This dish looks amazingly good.

Anna — February 28, 2012 @ 1:42 am

oops you do have the truffle fries all they need is some gorgonzola cheese!

Fresh Black Truffles At The Truffle Store — October 5, 2013 @ 2:23 am

I am feeling hungry reading through your truffle flavoured recipe. Yumyumyummmyyy! By the way, why do potatoes need to be soaked occasionally draining them of water and soaked again?

Delicious Truffle Products — January 4, 2014 @ 3:23 am

I love Truffles!!! This oven-crisped parmesan and sage Truffle fries is my favorite dish.

1. Pingback: thanksgiving-edition inspired : recipe round up « beka stays

2. Pingback: Butternut Squash, Sage Pesto and Prosciutto Pizza | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Harvest Pizza. | Lifestyle Pins

4. Pingback: Harvest Pizza. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

5. Pingback: Sunday Supplements: Belgium Edition | The Sugar Hit

6. Pingback: Nutrish & Delish // 10 Ways to Cook Sweet Potatoes | Style & PepperStyle & Pepper