I’m still in full blown holiday mode.

I decided I was never going to eat again in my entire life.

Then I made this bacon.

Sort of weird. Right? I love cardamom, but let me tell you how I realllllllly feel about it: When I smell it? Like right out of the shaker thing? I think it smells like… orange. And only orange. I dunno.

But then when it’s in things, like poundcake and cupcakes and frosting and brown butter and pasta and a trillion other things I should never let cross my lips again, I want to jump it’s bones. It’s like a cozy, cuddly fire and warm woolen mittens and a hot mug of drinking chocolate. And the only way it gets better is with BACON.

Oh, and by the way, I just googled “what does cardamom smell like,” and let’s just say…turns out I’m not the weirdest person on the inter-webs.

Crispy Cardamom Sugared Bacon

makes 10 slices

10 slices thick-cut bacon

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then lay a wire rack on top of the baking sheet.

On a large plate, mix sugar and cardamom. Dredge bacon slices through the mix, lightly patting the sugar on top but not overdoing it. Lay strips on wire rack and bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping the bacon once halfway through.

Remove and drain on paper towels for 1 minute.

Tomorrow I’ll show you what the heck to do with this weird stuff. Besides inhale it.

54 Responses to “Crispy Cardamom Sugared Bacon.”

Erica — December 27, 2011 @ 8:06 am

Every time I tell people I don’t like bacon…I’m told I’m the strangest person alive ;). I think my family would be super happy if I cooked this up!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — December 27, 2011 @ 8:20 am

Oh wow, this sounds incredible!!! I LOVE bacon (really, who doesn’t, except for Erica above haha!)! ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 27, 2011 @ 8:28 am

For the bacon lovers, I bet this is music to their ears.

I have childhood memories of the only way I could choke down bacon or sausages with pancakes would be to drench them in tons of maple syrup. Lol

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — December 27, 2011 @ 8:44 am

LOVE THIS! I made a cinnamon sugared bacon recently that tasted like donuts. The cardamon has got to be OUT OF THIS WORLD.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — December 27, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Tony and the boys would feel as though they died and went to heaven if I made this for them…heaven is made of sweet bacon, right?

• Jessica — December 27th, 2011 @ 10:25 am

I love all your boys.

• Anita — December 27th, 2011 @ 10:31 am

Right Sarena. ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 27, 2011 @ 8:59 am

i’ve honestly never knowingly smelled or eaten cardamom…but if it smells like orange and works with bacon i can’t imagine it’s anything but delicious

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — December 27, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Wow. Just wow.

(I’m thinking this would make a great topping on a maple cupcake but that’s just me!)

• Jessica — December 27th, 2011 @ 10:25 am

You are right!

Kim in MD — December 27, 2011 @ 9:33 am

I have never used cardamom, but bacon looks and sounds amazing!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats — December 27, 2011 @ 9:42 am

Oh my gosh, I should send this to my dad immediately! he makes pancakes with bacon every sunday morning!

Sommer J — December 27, 2011 @ 9:43 am

my husband just mentioned that he wanted chocolate covered bacon, but i am a bigger cardamom fan! Definitely must try this- yum!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — December 27, 2011 @ 9:47 am

ha. i’m not sure i need much more direction than EAT. STAT.

Doux Rousse — December 27, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Is it weird that I’ve never tried cardamon? I’ve been seeing it in recipes recently but I’m not even sure what it tastes like!

Also, thought of you when I saw this recipe that I blogged about. It takes your penchant for “trashing things up” to a whole other level. http://www.douxrousse.com/2011/12/best-or-worst-thing-ever.html

XO,
    Doux Rousse

• Jessica — December 27th, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Hahah those are GORGEOUS!!

• Anita — December 27th, 2011 @ 10:33 am

OMG I am in love. Seriously. I can’t look away. Your blog is going on my read-every-day page.

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 27, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Oh man, that looks beautiful! My Husband would love this, he loves everything that has bacon!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy — December 27, 2011 @ 10:20 am

This is right up my boyfriends alley! Maybe I will have to make him brunch this weekend!

Jessica | Oh Cake — December 27, 2011 @ 10:41 am

Oh. My. Yes, please! I love bacon, cardamom, and sugar. Now I’ll have to try all three at once!

katie @KatieDid — December 27, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Last night I tried bacon in a chocolate bar. Then talked about chocolate covered bacon. But THIS must top all of those. I must try this. I have a thing for bacon.

• Jessica — December 27th, 2011 @ 10:53 am

Vosges bar??

• katie @KatieDid — December 27th, 2011 @ 10:56 am

you got it! Of course you knew!

Deborah — December 27, 2011 @ 10:51 am

I love cardamom, and this is such a unique way to use it! Have to try this immediately!!

Cait's Plate — December 27, 2011 @ 10:55 am

Oh my, that is just brilliance right there. Also, I made your oreo balls this Christmas and they were a total hit!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 27, 2011 @ 10:59 am

I’m intrigued…

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — December 27, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Cardamom is amazingly delicious and also amazingly expensive! I seriously stop at the spice section every time I’m in the grocery store, stare at it longingly and then walk away from that $14 price tag! I bet this is the best tasting bacon ever.

Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook — December 27, 2011 @ 11:40 am

You really cant go wrong with bacon, no matter what you do with it. These look tasty!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — December 27, 2011 @ 11:45 am

Glad I rediscovered my love for bacon recently because I am totally making this!

Bev Weidner — December 27, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Ahhh you must have seen a picture of ME then, when you googled it.

That makes no sense.

I want to dip that bacon in my coffee this instant.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — December 27, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

I am totally still in Holiday mode as well. Actually I’m calling it #HolidayPounds. I’m hoping to end #HolidayPounds by January 2. We shall see if that happens! Will definitely have to give this a try before then. Cardamom sounds like a nice addition. I’ve paired sugared bacon with garam masala before. Also delish!

diane stanley — December 27, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

may I ask what camera and lens you use. Your recipes are delicious and your photography is beautiful. I am still learning on the photography front!

northbysudouest — December 27, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

So glad to find a blog which heralds the idea that food should be healthy but that food is also there to be enjoyed! As an English chef who moved to the South of France 3 years ago, bacon and various other meaty or fatty products are right up my street, all in moderation ofcourse! Less moderation that usual during the holiday season but there is always January to work it all off in a busy kitchen!
    If you would like to take a look at my blog then you can find it at…
    Until then, keep blogging and eating bacon! It’s good for your mental health!
    nbso

Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal — December 27, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

Cardamom is one of my favorite spices, but sometimes I don’t know what to do with it! This is perfection.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — December 27, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

Perfect! I always loved breakfast sausage & bacon with maple syrup so I’m right at home with this! =)

Erin — December 27, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

As part of our Christmas lunch dessert, we had cardamom ice cream. It was delicious!

jules @ bananamondaes — December 27, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

This is such a great idea. Inspired! :)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — December 27, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

I just jumped up and ran over to my spice cabinet and pulled out the cardamom bottle and took a great big wif! Smells citrusy to me!

Lauren — December 27, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

Yesssss please!

Ashley@BakerbyNature — December 27, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

Um… the fact that you just talked about “jumping it’s bones” in relation to loving cardamom made me die of love for you!

carolyn — December 27, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

to go to yoga tomorrow morning… or to stay home to make this…bacon might win.
    the only way i have ever had cardamom is in thai iced coffee, and that actually seems right up your alley too–because its very creamy and cardamom-y and only a little coffee-y. you should check it out!

bety — December 28, 2011 @ 12:49 am

mmmmmm bacon <3 you always make extra delicious recipes

Sonnet Gal — December 28, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Bacon+simple=A MUST!

Cassie @ bake your day — December 28, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

I’m totally mesmerized. This looks heavenly…and I’m not even a fan of bacon.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 30, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Mmmmm, give me that bacon!!!!!! Yummmmmm!

kita — January 1, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

I was right there with you. All fat, happy and in a mild sugar coma… I didn’t want to imagine trying to eat one more thing. Then last night rolled around and now I’m left to wonder, why didn’t we have candied bacon? I’m fat and happy again, craving this deliciousness. ;)

Erin — January 1, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

OMG!!! I just made this bacon. It is the best EVER!!! I’m pretty sure this is probably going to be the only way I ever make bacon from this point on. Thanks for the recipe!

Zesty Cook — January 4, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

Late to the party here but, ARE YOU SERIOUS with this?! Drool.

vbaker — January 6, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

I do something similar, but instead of cardamon I sprinkle with fresh ground pepper… spicy, sweet, and savory all at once. OMG! I think I might have to make some tonight!

Melinda — January 22, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

OMG! I just made this and it is most definitely the best bacon I’ve ever had! I happened to find organic cardamon in a box of 1tsp packets at Tuesday Morning. I’ll be picking up a couple more boxes this week.

1. Pingback: Warm Winter Chickpeas | How Sweet It Is