I have about .4 seconds to squeeze something not chocolate covered into my face this week.

Warm Winter Chickpeas I howsweeteats.com

And luckily, this only takes .4 seconds.

Whatever. More like 15-20 minutes, but that is still super close timing. Stop looking at me!

Plus, I feel like it’s mandatory to get some fiber and other good stuff in my life before mass snack-and-champagne consumption occurs. Riiiight? Tell me I’m right.

Annnnnd it uses the bacon from yesterday. Perf!

Warm Winter Chickpeas I howsweeteats.com

I love the beginning of the new year. I don’t love New Year’s Eve because, well… I’m a complete and total snoozefest and someone tells me that my expectations maaaaay be a little high since it’s not like Sex and the City is real life, but whatever. I can’t make a resolution to eat more greens – why would I set myself up to fail? So instead I’m eating a little green stuff right now to make up for the fact that I won’t resolve anything that has to do with spinach in the next 5 days.

Luckily it tastes good.

Warm Winter Chickpeas I howsweeteats.com

This bowl is full of everything I love: butter, chickpeas, bacon, brussels (!), caramelized mushrooms and cheese. Specifically, wine-soaked cheese. More specifically, the Syrah-soaked Toscano I got at Trader Joe’s. If you can find yourself some wine-soaked parmesan, I suggest buying it like, uh… yesterday.

Then make this. And eat it. All.

The flavor here nearly blew my head of my bod. Warm and toasty. Mmm mmm.

Warm Winter Chickpeas I howsweeteats.com

Warm Winter Chickpeas

[adapted from my toasty chickpea salad]

serves 2-3

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas)

6-8 brussels sprouts, thinly sliced

1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed

2 slices cardamom sugared bacon, crumbled

2 tablespoons toasted pecans, chopped

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 pinch nutmeg

freshly grated parmesan for topping

Heat a large skillet oven medium heat and add 1 tablespoon butter. Add mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to caramelize, stirring occasionally. Add brussels with a pinch of salt and the remaining tablespoon of butter, stirring to coat, then cooking for another 5 minutes. Add in chickpeas, bacon, pecans, pepper and nutmeg, then stir and let sit for 5-6 minutes until chickpeas are warm and the flavors come together.

Serve warm with grated parmesan on top. These also reheat well – at least I think so!

Warm Winter Chickpeas I howsweeteats.com

Told you it was warm!!

62 Responses to “Warm Winter Chickpeas.”

Nancy — December 28, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Yum! Any suggestions on how I can get my kids to eat this? I don’t care, I’ll make it and eat the whole thing on my own (suggestions on how to get my hubby to eat it would be lovely as well!).

• Jessica — December 28th, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Is there anything in here you kids don’t like? I guess it depends on what they like, but the first thought that came to my mind is to chop the Brussels and mushrooms into small pieces so it’s sort of like a chopped chickpea dish??

• Nancy — December 28th, 2011 @ 10:00 am

that’s an awesome suggestion. Thank you, Jessica! (and btw, I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing all the great photos, especially of Bella!)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 28, 2011 @ 8:12 am

I forgot how cold winter is after not being in it for awhile. And omg these look so good right now. I am freezing!!! And could use something warm like this. Or a warm hot chocolate :)

Erica — December 28, 2011 @ 8:34 am

I love me some chickpeas! They’re totally comforting. And I love the combo with brussels.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — December 28, 2011 @ 8:39 am

My body needs this right now and is thanking you!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 28, 2011 @ 8:42 am

i have been obsessed with chickpeas lately! plus i needed something to do with the brussels in my fridge…and that’s why we’re friends :)

kerri — December 28, 2011 @ 8:43 am

This looks great! On another note…Jess, do you know if I can freeze your wheat Panko crumbs that you made it do they stay good for a bit in an air tight container…. made them yesterday! Thank you.

• Jessica — December 28th, 2011 @ 9:46 am

How long are you looking to keep them? I keep mine in an airtight container and they are good for a few weeks… I never make enough at once to last a lot longer than that. I definitely wouldn’t put them in the freezer but I feel like I’ve heard of people putting them in the fridge…maybe?

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — December 28, 2011 @ 8:55 am

This sounds amazingly delicious especially on a cold winter night. I need to try that combo out. We always do brussels with mashed potatoes, I never think to add chickpeas.

kathleen @ the daily crumb — December 28, 2011 @ 8:58 am

i’m always a fan of balancing out the healthy, fibrous stuff with the delicious, greasy favorites. add bacon to anything and i’m sold!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — December 28, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Given I just found out I LOVE brussels sprouts, this will be made asap!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — December 28, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Yum, yum, yum. This looks so hearty and delish! What a great combo of winter flavors!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy — December 28, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Oh this looks so good. I love that there is brussel sprouts in this!

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 28, 2011 @ 9:34 am

This looks fabulous and healthy too! Trying so hard not to pop chocolate or sugar in my mouth! :)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — December 28, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Oh good heavens! Wine soaked cheese?!?! Did that drop from the heavens?!? (…..TJ’s is close enough!)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 28, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Boo. I have brussels sprouts but no chickpeas!

Lisa @ Life in Green — December 28, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Oh lady…this looks amazing. I have some parm and wine from TJs…think if I just dropped it in to a full glass that would suffice ;) Maybe I’ll just drink an extra glass to make up for the wine-y cheese.

Can’t wait to pick up some Brussels.

• Jessica — December 28th, 2011 @ 9:56 am

I think you should try it. :)

katie @KatieDid — December 28, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Bacon and brussels, amazing! Love this combo of flavors and I wish I had a TJs around me for that cheese!

Kim in MD — December 28, 2011 @ 10:21 am

This dish contains everything I love…bacon, mushrooms, chickpeas and brussels sprouts! Oh…and that wine soaked cheese that I have never had but plan to purchase at TJ’s this week! I am SO making this dish!

Maria — December 28, 2011 @ 10:56 am

I could eat this every day!

Cookbook Queen — December 28, 2011 @ 11:03 am

I do not love New Years Eve either. It’s just not very loveable.

I *DO* love this though. Yum.

Cait's Plate — December 28, 2011 @ 11:22 am

Oooh now that is my kinda meal. I’ve been meaning to ask you this forever – is your kitchen just ridiculously light or do you have cowboy studio lights set up somewhere? If it’s just naturally that light then I’m SO jealous!

• Jessica — December 28th, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

Nope – I just use natural light! My dining room is right off my kitchen, I have a huge window there, and there is where I shoot!

• Cait's Plate — December 28th, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Gah! I’m am so so jealous of that!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — December 28, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

Haha, I go through the same thing every year with New Years, total false expectations. Real life is definitely NOT sex and the city, especially when all your friends have newborns or toddlers and are super lame and can’t stay out past 10pm. Doesn’t bother me the rest of the year, but on New Year’s Eve I want to party it up (or at least get dressed in something nice). I end up being a disappointed mope the whole day every year without fail.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — December 28, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Exactly what I need after, you know, like 10 days of wine-guzzling and face-stuffing. Should you be included to partake in such activities.

honeywhatscooking — December 28, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

omg, this looks so incredibly healthy and good. i love it when you make veggies. bookmarking. Merry Christmas!

Courtney @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. — December 28, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

Went to Trader Joe’s for the first time yesterday and came home with no less than 5, I repeat, 5 blocks of cheese! Plus some Chai mix, smoked salmon, proscuitto, and I don’t know some 20 other things I couldn’t resist. Thank goodness it’s located in a place with horrendous parking, traffic, and carts blocking the sidewalks, otherwise I’d be tempted to go every other day.

• Jessica — December 28th, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

Woohoo! I just went today… so yummy.

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — December 28, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

Mmmm my hubby loves chick peas. Your pictures are awesome!

Erika - The Teenage Taste — December 28, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

Ooooh, this looks fabulous! What a genius way to make chickpeas actually taste good! ;-)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — December 28, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

Chickpeas! LOVE!

kara — December 28, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

i think everyone’s expectations are always too high on new years eve! mine are finally not so high this year and i think it might be a good time. anyway, this dish looks fantastic, minus the mushrooms (yuck!)

Zesty Cook — December 28, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

I love the idea of “shredding” the brussel sprouts by slicing them so thin. I am sure they cook much more evenly then when I roast them whole. Great idea!

CouponClippingCook — December 28, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

Love the combination of ingredients you used. I love chick peas and they go so well with the brussel sprouts now that I think of it. Great idea.

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — December 28, 2011 @ 6:19 pm

I’m trying to swear off sugar for the rest of the week (starting tomorrow, of course). This recipe looks right up my alley! Very nice approach for brussel sprouts. Sometimes a little goes a long way.

Lauren — December 28, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

Holy yummola. PS- that bacon is ridiculous.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — December 28, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

I think we could all probably use a head start on some green in our diets after the holidays! lol This sounds like a great way to start.

Amanda at the red table — December 28, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

Oooh. These look good, except for the brussels sprouts. I’ve tried them, and I just can’t do it! But I think this would be just as good without them!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — December 28, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

I loathe Brussels sprouts but somehow this recipe is making my mouth water!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — December 29, 2011 @ 3:36 am

Holy yum — I love the unique flavor profiles in this recipe. So comforting!

ashley — December 29, 2011 @ 9:12 am

For Christmas, my mom and I made a roasted brussel sprout dish with grapes and thyme. Everyone raved! The roasted grapes were outstanding! Who would have thought? Totally love this dish with the mushrooms!!

Pamela — December 29, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

Just made this, and holy crap, it is *delicious*!!! I think my only addition would be some goat cheese crumbled on top because I’m kind of thinking that goat cheese would be the peanut butter to bacon’s chocolate, know what I mean?

Jen — December 29, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

I just made (and devoured this) and it is absolutely awesome! I skipped the cheese because I didn’t make it to TJ’s but some fresh shaved parm still adds a great dimension of flavor. Granted, the butter helps ease the transition of brussel sprouts from fork to mouth, but I think I’ll be more successful in my first attempt to feed them to my daughter than my mother was with me. Candied bacon doesn’t hurt, either!

Kristin — December 30, 2011 @ 1:33 am

Jessica, you are my kind of girl! We share the love of food, wine, and sex and the city. Do you think they will make another movie? You know real life isnt really like sex and the city, but we can pretend, and drink martinis.

P.S. Wish they had a trader joe’s here in Texas. Hmm…wonder if they’d have wine soaked cheese at HEB.

P.S.S. Really want to try this recipe, have never had fresh brussel sprouts before.

Becca — December 30, 2011 @ 10:04 am

I have just realized I enjoy chickpeas in their whole form and not just mushed up for hummous! The other night at a restaurant in DC I had fried chickpeas tossed in spices (Cunningham, chipotle powder…) and they were outrageously delicious! You should continue some chickpea recipe developments (:

Esther — December 31, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

I made this last night and OHBOY it was SO good! Favorite!

Emily — December 31, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

Ohhh, yum. Normally, the first time I try a recipe, I make it as written, but I added a bit of chopped apple, garlic, and balsamic vinegar to this just on a whim – it was divine! I also crumbled goat cheese on top along with the parmesan, because when it comes to cheese, the more, the better… right?! Oh, and I forgot the pecans…. which means that I have an excuse to make this again in the very near future. ;)

Emily — December 31, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

Oh, and uhh… I ate the whole thing. Yup. Total win, Jessica.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 2, 2012 @ 9:49 pm

Yum! Great recipe… Definitely one I need to try!

Jessica — January 4, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

Just made this last night. I don’t even like brussel sprouts, but I LOVED this.

Amy — February 12, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

This. Is. AWESOME!!!! I hate brussels sprouts and I hate mushrooms but I LOVE chickpeas and bacon. But I think you opened my eyes to both. As long as it has bacon and/or chickpeas in it.

• Amy — March 9th, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

Also, I just made this again and I always felt like there was something missing. I put about a tsp of lemon juice and it was perfect! Rather, it’s “so good, so good, so good.”

1. Pingback: winter dinner | esther michelle