Oh Monday… you look good.

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

I’ve made no bones about it: growing up, pasta was just not my thing. Combined with my utter distaste for all tomato sauce, noodles never ever did it for me. My mom religiously made pasta every Thursday night (it’s still happening) and you could often find me up in my room hungry and throwing the tantrum of the century… every single week.

Wish I grew out of that, but… I threw a massive tantrum last Sunday night when my husband refused to watch the Golden Globes with me and gossip about celebrities. He’s no fun.

Some things never change?

Occasionally my mom would toss some gnocchi or ravioli into the mix to appease me, but I would still choose to pout and be generally bratty in that… adorable 13-year old way. I can’t wait to have teenagers.

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

While I’ve made a habit of baking some of my previously favorite fried foods (think chicken fingers, fish sticks and mashed potatoes), ravioli has never made the cut. Which is stupid, because uh… it’s perfect. And now it’s crunchy on the outside, soft and cheesy on the inside.

Say what?

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

Ideal for a night time snack attack.

And lots more filling than an entire bag of Trader Joe’s Crunchy Curls emotionally eaten while on your ninth consecutive hour of Dexter. But I’m not sure of that or anything.

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

Ooooh I like this part.

Like, really like this part.

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli

serves 2-4, depending on ravioli size

1 pound frozen cheese ravioli (about 40 pieces)

3 egg whites, lightly beaten

1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 3/4 cups panko breadcrumbs

1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

3 tablespoons grated romano cheese + more for topping

pinch of salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

marinara sauce for dipping

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray. Add egg whites to one bowl, and in a larger bowl mix flour, bread crumbs, panko, romano, salt and pepper.

Bring water to a boil and cook ravioli for half of the recommended time. I let mine boil for a little over 2 minutes, then drained them and quickly spray through them with nonstick spray to help them not stick together. Once cool to the touch, dip each ravioli in egg whites then coat thoroughly with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Place on the wire rack and repeat until finished. Spray each with a quick hit of nonstick spray. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until crispy and golden.

Serve hot with marinara for dipping.

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

But I like that part better.

167 Responses to “Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli.”

idiosyncratic eye — January 24, 2012 @ 9:17 am

Oooh, those look yummy! A but like the St Louis toasted ravioli? Mmmm. :)

• Krista — March 19th, 2012 @ 8:02 am

I’m from St. Louis, and I was just thinking: “It’s like toasted rav!”

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — January 24, 2012 @ 11:58 am

I wasn’t a pasta either growing up either, except for blue box mac & cheese… Now THIS?! yes, please.

Tracy — January 24, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

Love these! I could reach out and grab a handful right now!

kenzie king — January 24, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

Alex — January 24, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

This makes me feel better about watching 5 episodes of Dexter last night lol! These look amazing but I think I’m going to make the buffalo chicken soup first. These might be good in buffalo chicken soup. I need to stop, like now.

• chelsea — February 2nd, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

oh the buffalo chicken soup is delish! and this recipe is delish too! made both this week :)

Piccola Italiana — January 24, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

These sound just like the toasted ravioli we have here in St. Louis :D I might have to try them to see if they’re better…if you’re ever in St. Louis, go to Vito’s restaurant and get their toasted ravioli. One word: YUM.

• The Aisle Style — March 3rd, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

Totally agree!! Come to Saint Louis to try some T Ravs! They are addicting though… I will warn you :)

Kara — January 24, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

Sound great but I don’t have whole wheat pastry flour. Can you sub regular flour?

Christie — January 24, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

Ok, these look seriously good! I can’t wait to try this recipe out.
    …And I happened to check out your pinterest today… You weren’t kidding with the whole “I don’t like pasta” because your board for the category is completely empty. I literally laughed out loud.

• Jessica — January 24th, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

Hahaha – no, that’s really only because I just started reorganizing my pics and created that category… but have yet to move anything there!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 25, 2012 @ 5:16 am

Wow, this is genius. I wish I had some ravioli to try this with right now!!

Yasmin — January 25, 2012 @ 11:48 am

Hi im new to you’re blog and I have to say the pictures are amazing and the food looks delicious.
    I enjoy photography and may start doing some blogposts on recipes
    Any Advice would be appreciated.

April — January 25, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

Oh. My. Word. These should be illegal! :)

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — January 26, 2012 @ 2:51 am

I like that these are not deep fried. I usually try to stay away from deep frying. Oven fried… that’s a different story :)

Zee — January 26, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

Oven fried is soo gud!

Gayle — January 26, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

I’m linking to this recipe next week for my Superbowl Roundup. Please let me know if this is not okay.
    Thanks! They look amazing!

Kelly — January 27, 2012 @ 12:26 am

Looks AWESOME!!!

don — February 2, 2012 @ 12:05 pm

I tried these last night. Just with egg white and Italian seasoned bread crumbs and regular flour. My vote is that they are ok, and kind of clever, but the mess and cleanup factor outweighed the fun of having some tasty bites.

• RDL — February 7th, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

No offense, but since you didn’t follow the recipe, that’s not particularly helpful.

chelsea — February 2, 2012 @ 11:52 pm

as soon as i saw this recipe i knew exactly what to do with that boring bag of ravioli that has been sitting in my freezer a while. made it tonight and we loved it! (and i made it with the simplest tomato sauce ever you suggested in another post). next week i plan to make your butternut squash baked penne and i can’t wait!

Sunny — February 10, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

I’m eating this right now as I write this….it is absolutely delicious! Everyone loved it! Thanks!

Mandie — February 11, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

Fried ravioli is my FAVORITE! I love this, baking instead of frying, would be a perfect lunch for my kiddos (I don’t give them fried foods and they HATE raviloi…hmmm sounds familiar). I am going to try this tomorrow, but seeing as my pantry is pretty close to empty I will be putting pre-packaged italian whole wheat croutons in the food processor so my lasy butt doesn’t have to go to the grocery :)

Laura — February 11, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I made these today for lunch. They were sooooo good!

Andrea Casey — February 13, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

So trying this one looks so good.

KBurkett — February 23, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

I made these just now bout also used meat ravioli along with cheese ones and they were amazing! Would deff recommend and will make again soon.

Kristin — April 19, 2012 @ 2:32 am

I’m so excited to make these! I want to freeze these for later, would I do that before or after I baking?

Pris — April 23, 2012 @ 10:29 pm

You must be in your early twenties.

melissa — April 29, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

how many per serving and what is calories per serving?

alexa — July 6, 2012 @ 7:29 am

Nice information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post., valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, gossip about celebrities both of which we all need, thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

alexa — July 6, 2012 @ 7:42 am

A good name for a blog is essentially for it to be popular and heart robbing. Names like ‘import this’ will be good for a blog which has a base of topics relating computers. Many blog created with such names have become popular and visited by a number of people. The comments in the blog prove this fact. Python, ruby rails are web frameworks. These are the advanced form of web framework ever built and is being widely used in mostly everywhere. gossip about celebritiesPython conferences are a being held over many parts of the world and the response on such conference is good. This points to the fact that searching for a good name for a blog ended up on the discussion about web framework languages, one thing leads to another.

Jessica — July 14, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

I made these last night (and the parmesan potato puffs) and they came out ok – but I didn’t follow the recipe exactly. I don’t have a wire rack, so I put them on a baking sheet with the intention of flipping them halfway through. My oven is really unreliable, so the temperature wasn’t consistent and they cooked really fast. I also used mini raviolis (1 bag) and had a ton of the breadcrumb mixture left. They still tasted really good, but next time I am going to try it with regular sized ravioli and drop the temperature of my oven a bit.

Kelly — September 18, 2012 @ 8:06 pm

I just made these and they are INCREDIBLE! It’s just me eating them, and I definitely can’t eat ’em all at once. Is there any way to store them, or will they be terrible leftover? Thanks so much! :)

Rhondi — January 12, 2013 @ 3:20 pm

I just made these with my 9 year old daughter, and they were amazing! My 3 girls and I really enjoyed how crispy they were. I also made some Sargento mozzarella cheese sticks using the same coating. I will definitely be making these for our Summer parties this year. I’m also going to use your coating for our oven baked chicken tenders. It’s much healthier than frying and just as crispy with tons of flavor. Thanks!

møbelpolstrer uddannelse kbh — January 19, 2013 @ 11:32 pm

Everything is very open with a very clear description of the challenges.
    It was truly informative. Your site is extremely helpful.
    Thanks for sharing!

Natalie — April 4, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

Made these last night..the boyfriend LOVED them! They had a wonderful crunch to them. I felt like they were healthy since they were baked. I used only egg whites and it was fabulous! Thanks for a wonderful recipe!

Jess — May 12, 2013 @ 1:22 pm

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve made these…making them now.thanks for recipe!

Catherine — September 15, 2013 @ 4:28 pm

I think it is a sign from Heaven that I happen to have all of these ingredients in my kitchen right now. Looks like I know what I’ll be eating while watching football today :)

Michele — March 30, 2014 @ 1:12 pm

These were so fun and my kids really enjoyed eating them (which I didn’t think they would). I would definitely make them again but I would make one change; cook time. They came out a little dry. I think I will skip the step to cook them half way and reduce oven temp a little bit. Otherwise great! Thanks for your wonderful recipes.