Insanity.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

That’s what this is. Pure In.San.It.TEEEEE.

You know those days when you’re in desperate need of sugar and you’ve already downed more gummy vitamins than recommended while seriously considering how many more you can ingest without causing severe harm to your internal organs? They’re just so gooooood.

Well… in that case you should make some homemade snickers bars. Because I definitely did that.

And I KNOW you know what I’m talking about.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

I spent the majority of my pre-pubescent and adolescent years scheming just how I would be able to steal my brothers’ Halloween candy. Snickers were always my favorite, and the boys weren’t huge fans so more often than not, they would hand them over. But sometimes… they kept them just to spite me. Brats.

Then I went through a SERIOUS phase of those Snickers ice cream bars. I swear they only had like 4 in a package or something but I could easily take down 2 for dessert. As kids, we were rarely allowed candy bars, but my mom had no issue with buying bags of fun-sized candy because, well… when things are fun-sized it means the calories don’t count.

And that you can eat a million of them.

These days, it’s rare that I crave actual candy, often preferring some chewy cookies or super rich cheesecake or a bar of amazing chocolate that costs thrice as much as the recent organic meyer lemons I purchased. But snickers are in my blood.

They are the peanut butter to my jelly.

The salt to my pepper.

The broccoli to my… wait, no.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

This recipes comes from my friend Nikki who, well… I didn’t even know until Instagram and Twitter.

But now Nikki is like my bestest friend ever. Because when someone emails you a recipe for homemade snickers bars, they are your BFF for life. I mean, who else has my best interests at heart like that? I don’t even know.

And the fabulous part? This is SO EASY. So, so, so, so, so easy. Like, had-five-drinks-and-a-recent-breakup-easy. It has four distinct steps and in print seems slightly intimidating, but it isn’t whatsoever. I promise. I swear. I even had every single ingredient on hand. And not just because I’m a hoarder. Would I lie to you?

I’m not even going to waste your time trying to convince you to whip up a batch because, uhhh…. look at them. They are irresistible. Literally… considering they ruined two of my family members’ January diets.

Now that’s a win.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

Homemade Snickers Bars

[recipe from Nikki, who lightly adapted it from and old Taste of Home recipe]

makes one 9×13 pan

bottom chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Thoroughly grease you baking pan. Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour into the baking dish and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

nougat layer

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup evaporated milk

1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 cup salted peanuts chopped, roughly chopped

1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in sugar and milk, stirring until dissolved and bring to a boil. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in fluff, peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Turn off heat and fold in peanuts, then pour over bottom chocolate layer. Let cool completely.

caramel layer

1 14-ounce bag of caramels

1/4 cup whipping cream

Combine ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Let melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth – this took about 10 minutes for me. Pour over nougat layer and let cool completely.

Top chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour over caramel and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving, then cut as desired. These can stay at room temperature, but they do get gooey. I like them refrigerated best!

Note: for best results, buy one of the half-sheet aluminum cake pans at the grocery store. That way, you can pop the entire square out and cut from there!

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

I can’t even take that.

755 Responses to “Homemade Snickers Bars.”

Amy — January 26, 2012 @ 8:03 am

Oh. My. God.

• Cait's Plate — January 26th, 2012 @ 10:22 am

Seconded! These are like, not even fair.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 26, 2012 @ 8:06 am

Snicker’s ice cream bars are one of my favorite things ever but regular snickers are definitely one of my favorite candies. I am all ready to go to work but I may have to call in sick right now……

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 26, 2012 @ 8:07 am

Holy. Crap. I covered my eyes when I scrolled to the recipe because Idonotneedarecipeforsnickersbars Idonotneedarecipeforsnickersbars Idonotneedarecipeforsnickersbars. I’ll repeat this all day but I know I’m going to make my husband write the recipe down. And I’ll blame him when I make these and eat them all within 24 hours.

Sweet Jesus.

Becki's Whole Life — January 26, 2012 @ 8:08 am

How the heck did your brothers not like snickers? And how did I not see this on TOH originally, these look amazing. A great treat to make for Valentine’s day presents. This is a great recipe and the nougat sounds perfect.

The funny thing with Snickers is that the caramel is so light and stretchy that sometimes when someone eats one the caramel gets stuck to their lip in a little string and they won’t know it…..and I don’t usually tell them for a while.

Ali @ Peaches and Football — January 26, 2012 @ 8:08 am

I’ve made these before (recipe is pretty much the same) and they are awesome. Took them into work and everyone gobbled them up. They look so impressive on a plate and much fancier than the normal cookies and whatnot people bake. I don’t think they lasted an hour. So delicious!

Kathryn — January 26, 2012 @ 8:09 am

The perfect combination of sweet and salty. I bet I could eat the whole pan in 3 minutes.

Maureen Chapman — January 26, 2012 @ 8:11 am

These look amazing. Think I have to make them today! I can’t believe it but I have all the ingredients to make the deliciousness!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 26, 2012 @ 8:14 am

are you freaking kidding me?

Aga @ a matter of taste — January 26, 2012 @ 8:14 am

Love it! I will definitely try to make this.

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — January 26, 2012 @ 8:18 am

I have been having this intimate relationship with sugar recently. These would only deepen the relationship ;)

Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff — January 26, 2012 @ 8:20 am

This is insane. And it really doesn’t help my mission to eat healthy. But Snickers are in my blood as well – I had a huge case of them in my freezer during college.

Great. I may never find peace. =)

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life — January 26, 2012 @ 8:22 am

All I had to do was see the title of this post in my Google reader to know that this is one recipe that I am going to have to save and try RIGHT AWAY! HEAVEN!

VeggieGirl — January 26, 2012 @ 8:24 am

GENIUS insanity. That’s what that is :)

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 26, 2012 @ 8:27 am

Hot Dam! Ok, I gotta go to the store stat and get these ingredients!!! OK, question is whipping cream the same as heavy cream?? I need to make these!! I can freeze them, so I can keep the whole batch to myself!! Yum!!! To excited here!!

• Jessica — January 26th, 2012 @ 8:33 am

I think heavy cream has a slightly higher fat content? But I’m sure either is fine to use.

Kim in MD — January 26, 2012 @ 8:34 am

Oh my gosh, this looks insanely delicious! This is a must make recipe for sure!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 26, 2012 @ 8:35 am

omg.omg.omg.omg.omg.

speechless.

Stephanei — January 26, 2012 @ 8:36 am

any tips for cutting them? i’ve always had trouble with stuff that has a hard chocolate layer on top.

• Stephanie — January 26th, 2012 @ 8:37 am

i also have trouble spelling my own name

• Jessica — January 26th, 2012 @ 8:39 am

Hahahah… I was nervous about cutting them too but honestly they weren’t a problem at all. I refrigerated for about 1.5 hours, then used a really large, sharp knife and they cut perfectly. They don’t get super hard in the fridge and are still cut-able. However, if they sit at room temperature they get gooey (like the last pic) and while still amazing, the caramel is a mess and that’s when they are hard to cut. So cut right out of the fridge.

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — January 26, 2012 @ 8:36 am

Holy Snickers! Easy homemade candy bars! You are a genius Jessica!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 26, 2012 @ 8:39 am

Oh yummm! These look so delicious and gooey! About those ice cream bars – I was the same with ice cream sandwiches as a kid. Ditto on the gummy vitamins!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — January 26, 2012 @ 8:42 am

This is DANGEROUS!

Oh, I made the General Tso’s you posted awhile back from Tasty Kitchen. My guys LOVED it!

• Jessica — January 26th, 2012 @ 9:04 am

That is definitely one of our favorites! So glad you liked it.

Blog is the New Black — January 26, 2012 @ 8:43 am

I love you. And Nikki. 4eva.

• Nikki — January 26th, 2012 @ 9:09 am

I Love you too!!.. But seriously :).. And Jess obv!
      -nikki

Living The Sweet Life — January 26, 2012 @ 8:44 am

It’s not even 8:00 yet, and I AM TOTALLY craving chocolate now~ this is a psycho-delicious idea and I need to get on it now!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — January 26, 2012 @ 8:46 am

This is ridiculous. In a very good way! My gosh

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — January 26, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Oh mother of pearl. I’ve seen these made before, but never attempted it. Thank you! And thank you Nikki!!

Katrina (GF Gidget) — January 26, 2012 @ 8:55 am

Do you ever read a blog post title and the only think you can think of is, “Oh no she didn’t!” Yea… well that just happened…. YOU ARE RIDICULOUS AND I LOVE YOU!

Becca@learnasyougocook — January 26, 2012 @ 8:59 am

God do you have to make me star everything that comes into my Google from reader you??

heather — January 26, 2012 @ 8:59 am

*pinches self. Oh my gosh. It’s real!
    Homemade snickers bars are making me emotional.

xoxo to you both!

Jordana — January 26, 2012 @ 9:01 am

I wish there was a warning when you post recipes like this, like before I look at the pictures of it … the kind that are destined to break a diet. I am thinking substitute the whole nougat layer and put some ice cream there and freeze, instant snickers ice cream bars! Yum. Now I’m in trouble for the rest of the day.

• Jessica — January 26th, 2012 @ 9:04 am

Excellent idea!

Betty — January 26, 2012 @ 9:05 am

oh my gahhhhhhhh.

i wish it was okay to weigh 1,000 lbs because i would make your recipes day in and day out.. i’m making the buffalo chicken soup tonight! can’t wait to try it!

Kelly — January 26, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Um wow. Want to recreate my childhood next by making homemade Twix bars?

• Dianna — January 26th, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

i just read in another comment about homemade Twix bars, so i had to go and look (of course!). Check out that one- i am thinking i will have to try both of these homemade candy bar favorites….

• Jessica — January 26th, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

I know… the Twix bars… so amazing!

Maria — January 26, 2012 @ 9:15 am

You just had to post these today. Now I don’t want my oatmeal for breakfast:)

Rachel Layfield — January 26, 2012 @ 9:18 am

Dangerous….but I will be eating them soon;) I love reading your blog-your food is amazing!:) I cook dinner everyday and I never run out of ideas, thanks to you!

• Jessica — January 26th, 2012 @ 10:28 am

Thanks so much for reading Rachel!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 26, 2012 @ 9:28 am

Incredible!! I need these in my life, pronto!… and that pick with the caramelll OMG!!

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — January 26, 2012 @ 9:28 am

Wow!!!! THESE ARE FREAKIN BEAUTIFUL. I love your photos! I might just have to put down my delicious jar of gummy vitamins and try these.

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile — January 26, 2012 @ 9:29 am

Oh my God. YUM

Bev Weidner — January 26, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Duuude, I went through a ridiculous ice cream Snickers bar phase TOO. My boyfriend would go to BURGER KING (remember that used to be the only place they’d sell them!) and bring them to my bedroom window (AKA: PRISON) and feed me through the holes in the mesh screen.

True love.

With the Snickers bar, not the boyfriend.

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — January 26, 2012 @ 9:40 am

Heaven. Right there is a little slice of heaven.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — January 26, 2012 @ 9:43 am

Snickers bar ice creams are seriously awesome, probably the only ice cream bar I ever crave.

kathleen @ the daily crumb — January 26, 2012 @ 9:48 am

oh dear. my thursday just took a whole new turn. must find time to make these!

Holly — January 26, 2012 @ 9:50 am

Yummy!!! What size pan do you use for this?

• Jessica — January 26th, 2012 @ 10:27 am

The recipe I believe is for a 9×13 pan, but the best thing to do is use a disposable aluminum half-sheet cake pan from the grocery store – that way you can pop the entire square out and cut!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy — January 26, 2012 @ 9:50 am

Oh my, these look hands down delicious. They look so perfect!

Ronda — January 26, 2012 @ 9:52 am

You just changed my plans for this evening. Now it is going to be filled with snickers.

Crickle — January 26, 2012 @ 9:56 am

Thanks to this recipe, “Chubbalicious” will now be my status, from necessity. Thank you.

Dana — January 26, 2012 @ 9:56 am

OMG. These look AMAZING! Can’t wait to make them!

Becky — January 26, 2012 @ 10:04 am

Are you trying to kill me??? I’m partnering with a trainer on a weight loss program that starts in one month. I’m really trying to behave because, really, the dietitian should look the part. You make it hard to do that! I used to eat Snickers layer by layer to get longer enjoyment out of them. I always saved the caramel for last. This will have to go on Pinterest until I don’t feel guilty eating them!

Jill — January 26, 2012 @ 10:07 am

Ok. Amazing! You just changed my whole “Can’t believe I had to get out of bed attitude” . My new mission in life is to make these. Great pics.

Lisa — January 26, 2012 @ 10:09 am

amazing. seiously, where do you come up with these awesome ideas ??? :o)

Deborah — January 26, 2012 @ 10:14 am

This is just evil – because I want them NOW!!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — January 26, 2012 @ 10:17 am

Oh my heck! I don’t know whether to thank you profusely or be mad at you because I won’t be able to stop thinking about the darn Snicker bars until I make them. Like at 8:15 in the morning.

Katie — January 26, 2012 @ 10:22 am

They are soooo pretty!

1 2 3 9

1. Pingback: New Year's Resolution Buster: Homemade Snickers Bars | Family Kitchen

2. Pingback: January 27: From Victoria’s Kitchen– My New Loves « New Year's Resolution

3. Pingback: January 26: From Victoria’s Kitchen– My New Loves « New Year's Resolution

4. Pingback: Best of Pinterest: Decorating, Recipes, Holiday Ideas & More | In Good Cents

5. Pingback: Friday Favorites | mommysmenu

6. Pingback: good things : sugar coma | beka stays

7. Pingback: As Ink Remains // Friday Finds + 5 Things

8. Pingback: Saturday In The Kitchen « alwayssomethingtodo

9. Pingback: best of the blogs: january. « wabi wabi

10. Pingback: Cooleria » Совршено домашно сникерс чоколадо

11. Pingback: January Goals Recap |

12. Pingback: Oatmeal: From Face to Bowl | Kiss My Broccoli

13. Pingback: Wordless Wednesday 2.1.12 « bits of life. bits of love. bits of everything.

14. Pingback: Blog Link Party- Thursdays on Somewhat Simple

15. Pingback: Stop what you’re doing and look at this! « kerrycooks

16. Pingback: For Tom. « OhShineOn

17. Pingback: February Goals - Family Photography, Raleigh, N.C. Rebecca Keller Photography

18. Pingback: Wine & Love v9 « bits of life. bits of love. bits of everything.

19. Pingback: não, não devia « lEvItAtE II

20. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 2/4/2012 | Brown Eyed Baker

21. Pingback: Pinterest Challenge – Vote For My Next Project and Link Up Yours « « Clever HousewifeClever Housewife

22. Pingback: Giant Snickers Slab. « « lizosaurus lizosaurus

23. Pingback: es gibt Snickers Baby…. « tastesheriff

24. Pingback: homemade snickers | peace, love, and crafts

25. Pingback: Tasty Treat Tuesday: Homemade Snickers Bars

26. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday: Homemade Snickers | Thi2's Takes

27. Pingback: big ole roundup | MADE

28. Pingback: Homemade Snickers. Oh yeah, I went there. | grits 'n guava

29. Pingback: Thirsty Thursday « district delights

30. Pingback: Pinterest Challenge: Homemade Snickers + Nominate Next Week’s Project « « Clever HousewifeClever Housewife

31. Pingback: Homemade Snickers | And all the trimmings

32. Pingback: Homemade Snickers Bar by How Sweet Eats « The Dessert Critic

33. Pingback: Homemade Snickers Bar by How Sweet It Is « The Dessert Critic

34. Pingback: Young Cooking » Homemade Snickers Bars

35. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

36. Pingback: My Day Off… aka The Amish Home Study | jessi with an "i"

37. Pingback: Recipe 24: Homemade Snickers Bars « Blessed*Happy*Healthy*Prosperous

38. Pingback: DIY Snickers Bars « Sunday Noises

39. Pingback: The Juvenilia » Dulce Diversion

40. Pingback: » Lip Smackingly, Hip Fatteningly, Crazy Delicious, Homemade Snickers Bars!!

41. Pingback: Lunatic Loves These Links- Feb 8 | Cravings of a Lunatic

42. Pingback: Homemade Snickers « my little food spot

43. Pingback: Hungry? Grab a Snickers! « Bee*s Adventures

44. Pingback: Homemade Snickers Recipe | Misadventurous Mommy

45. Pingback: Homemade Snickers Bars | How Sweet It Is « Steffan Jones-Hughes

46. Pingback: Homemade Snickers «

47. Pingback: Snickers? | 10:02

48. Pingback: The Importance of Indulgence « Beauty and the Bod

49. Pingback: Recipes | Pearltrees

50. Pingback: » Nightly Nom: Homemade Snickers Bars BLACK WIDOW - LIP BALM FOR THE LIVING.