Pancakes!

Greek Yogurt Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

It’s what’s for dinner.

And lunch.

And if you’re feeling extra loopy… maybe even breakfast.

Sinseriously.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

That’s my new word. It’s like a hybrid of sincerely and seriously and I say it when I’m really sincerely serious. You know… just trying it on for size.

Unfortunately I fear it’s going the way of “fetch,” Gretchen Wieners style.

But pancakes!

I had no intention of making pancakes on Saturday morning, but then I started craaaaving them. We’ve been making a ton of pancakes each week with mashed bananas, but as I began to assemble my ingredients I realized that zero bananas did we have. We also were out of eggs. Ruh roh. The only semi-nonweird ingredient I could find in my fridge that MIGHT work was a container of Greek yogurt. Bingo.

The pancakes were fine indeed. After a few tweaks and tests, I determined that this was my favorite recipe in all the land, and that you should have it. Plus, we ended up eating a LOT of pancakes this weekend because of that… and you know I don’t like to be alone.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

Now now… these are not your super fluffy, buttery, traditional pancakes. They won’t be for everyone… but they might be for you. We were both huge fans, however they have a slightly different consistency than your regular faves. Semi-fluffy, almost creamy and delightfully dense. I told you I was obsessed with coconut milk, member? And “obsessed” just means I really have four open cans in my fridge that need used… again.

Anyhoo. These reminded me more of a healthy-tasting buckwheat pancake.

Wait. Not sure I’ve ever had a buckwheat pancake?

But they remind me of what a buckwheat pancake would taste like if I was to have one.

Which is an excellent thing, even if I have no clue what I’m talking about.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Pancakes

makes about 15 pancakes

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 cups light (canned) coconut milk

1 6-ounce container plain, nonfat Greek yogurt

1 tablespoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 tablespoons honey

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add milk, yogurt, vanilla and honey, whisking until smooth.

Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Using a 1/4 cup measure, pour batter into rounds. Let cook until bubbles appear on the surface, about 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Serve with butter, syrup and fruit.

Note: these pancakes are fairly thin and not quick as fluffy as your typical pancakes. I find that they do not reheat very well (like the next morning), but are great when first made. You can replace the whole wheat pastry flour with all-purpose (do not use regular whole wheat), but you may have to decrease the coconut milk by 1/2-3/4 cup.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

I like you.

139 Responses to “Greek Yogurt Pancakes.”

jess — March 6, 2012 @ 8:35 am

made these last night for a last minute dinner. they were so good! definitely different that regular pancakes, but still really delicious. loved that they were healthy too. thanks.

Riley — March 7, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

wow these look so good! great pictures! thanks for the recipe : )

My Slice of Sky — March 16, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

ohhhh. These look delicious. Being a person who bakes without any white flour I am always thrilled to come across a recipe that I can use! :) I’m totally not satisfied with my current whole wheat pancake recipe. I’m definitely going to give these a try!! Thanks for the post!

[I’m just starting out on my healthy meals and baking blog, feel free to stop by and look around! http://mysliceofsky.blogspot.com/ ]

Morgan — March 16, 2012 @ 10:13 pm

I made these tonight for my family, and everyone absolutely loved them! My mom and I are on a very strict diet of as little processed sugar as possible and no white flour so thank you for providing us with whole wheat recipes and other healthy ones we can enjoy! It can be so hard cooking with whole wheat flours sometimes. I love love love your blog!

Julie — March 17, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

I had the exact same trouble this morning with no eggs or bananas for my standard Saturday pancakes but these turned out AMAZING! We cooked up a little strawberry, blueberry compote with some sugarless real whip cream and the kids thought that they were the luckiest fellas ever!! What a great recipe, thanks so much for sharing!

Sharon Glanville of BeBetsy — March 25, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

I am always looking for new ideas on how to make pancakes more exciting! Thanks so much for sharing.

David — March 30, 2012 @ 12:35 am

Kodiak Cakes Frontier Flapjack & Waffle Mix will blow your mind:

Tina Powers — April 1, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

These sound Delicious!!! Can’t wait to try them!!

JD — May 18, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

I am wondering if using almond milk instead of coconut milk would work, any thoughts??

Amy — June 9, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

I just had to give you a shout out for the Gretchen Wieners reference..made me laugh out loud!

Katlyn — July 24, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

These were actually amazing! I usually find most pancakes recipes I use are quite bland and need lots of toppings, but I barely used any for these. :)

Paige — July 25, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

Is there any way you could put up or email me the nutritional information on these pancakes? I’d love to try them, but I like to know what I’m eating. If it’s too much trouble, don’t worry about it. Thanks!

Janelle — July 29, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

Just had these for the first time this morning. They were really good. It reminded us of French toast, but I did add a little extra honey and cinnamon. We will definitely use this recipe again. Thanks!!

Elizabeth — September 16, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Absolutely THE BEST clean (or unclean for that matter) pancake recipe that I’ve come across. Moist, delicious… I add chia seeds for some extra fiber and nutrition. I serve them with extra virgin coconut oil spread on them instead of butter and light agave nectar instead of syrup. For my kids, I sometimes just use 100% maple syrup. Absolutely amazing!

Sara Hensworth — December 7, 2012 @ 11:01 am

I made these pancakes this morning, and they were terrible, I threw them away. Will not make these again

Janette — February 27, 2013 @ 9:10 pm

I cut this recipe in half and it was a total disaster. The pancakes looked great on the outside, but were uncooked in the center. Is this normal?

1. Pingback: Creamy Vanilla Bean Cashew Milk. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: inspired : 3.11.12 | beka stays

3. Pingback: Greek Yogurt and Oatmeal Pancakes « homemadeadventure

4. Pingback: Father’s Day Inspiration: Ideas and Recipes | Ingredients, Inc.

5. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Fave Five Friday : Healthy Greek Yogurt Recipes @ Nutritionist in the Kitch

7. Pingback: 50 Waffles and Pancakes - Something Swanky

8. Pingback: Go Greek!

9. Pingback: curating / pancakes that please | the by and by

10. Pingback: Smart Starts | TwiniversityTwiniversity

11. Pingback: Go Greek! | Northwestern

12. Pingback: 75+ Super-Skinny Breakfast Recipes

13. Pingback: Top 10 Sweet Pancakes Recipes

14. Pingback: Pancake Day Treats from Nicholls Online | Nicholls

15. Pingback: My Healthy Life: A Journey | from house parties to housewife

16. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas | souleatinrecipes

17. Pingback: Fabulous Fall Pancake Recipes + Friday Link Love - The Sweetest Occasion — The Sweetest Occasion