Soooooo… you know that episode of Sex and the City where Miranda has to dump dish soap on top of chocolate cake just so she will stop eating it??

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

Uh. Yeeeeeah.

These are like… of that caliber.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

And that totally almost happened to me. You PROBably should not make these if you are home alone for four days. Word to the wise, FYI.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

I ate what felt like a million, then had a plate of 5-day old green bean fries from the fridge and called it lunch. I do not recommend this. The leftover green bean fries – not the cookie dough cups.

I definitely recommend those.

For lunch.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

Face? Meet peanut butter cookie dough cups.

Inhale.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups

[cookie dough adapted from cookie dough dip]

makes 24 cups

2 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

3/4 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

In a small saucepan, heat butter until melted. Whisk in brown sugar until dissolved, then let it bubble for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in peanut butter. The mixture will be liquidly. Whisk in vanilla. Let sit and cool completely, about 20 minutes.

Line a mini muffin with with liners. Melt 1 1/4 cups of chocolate chips (I do mine in the microwave, heating on full power for 20 seconds, stir, 30 seconds again, and stir until melted). Drop 1/2-1 teaspoon of chocolate into each liner, then use a pastry brush to brush chocolate up the sides of the liner. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes. By this point the butter + sugar mix should be cool. Whisk in powdered sugar, salt and flour, until combine and few lumps remain. Fold in mini chocolate chips. The dough will be wet, but pop it in the fridge for 15 minutes to harden.

Remove muffin tin and cookie dough, then place 1 teaspoon of cookie dough (I somewhat rolled mine) into the chocolate cups. Place back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Melt the remaining chocolate chips, then cover each cookie dough top with chocolate, smoothing with a spoon. Freeze again for 15-20 minutes. These are fine out in room temperature for a few hours (they may soften a bit) but I like them best stored in the fridge.

Note: I’m sure if you temper your chocolate and let it sit at room temperature these will harden without the freezer, but this is what works for me best.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

Sigh.

268 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups.”

Jen Marie — April 3, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

OMG. I think I’m going to just mix this up and use Ghiradelli squares to scoop up large bits and eat.

Yes and please.

• Sarah — April 6th, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

That is brilliant. I will be doing the same thing, now that you have given me this idea….possibly with the caramel or peanut butter Ghiradelli squares.

chris — April 3, 2012 @ 8:11 pm
    Courtney — April 4, 2012 @ 11:25 am

Made these minus the peanut butter– delicious!!

Melissa — April 4, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

I made those. I just changed some ingredients but it’s AMAZING if you want see the result http://melinthekitchen.canalblog.com/archives/2012/04/04/23933353.html

Thanks again !

Erin — April 4, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

Way to ruin my goal to lose the 5 pounds I gained stuffing my face in San Fran the past week. I bet these are worth it though.

Alicia — April 4, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Just got done making these! Waiting for those last 15 minutes till we can taste one! Sigh.

Todd Stevens — April 5, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

Wow, those chocolate chip peanut butter cookie dough cups do look amazing! There are a lot of other good recipes from your favorite restaurants like Outback, Applebee’s, Chili’s, and Olive Garden in this eBook! http://nestez.com/recipe.php Save money and eat at home!

• Linda — August 31st, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

This is an advertisement selling a cookbook.

Cate — April 6, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

Just made these and they are so good – Ate two already and need to stop since they’re going in Easter gift boxes! The only problem I had was 20 minutes wasn’t long enough for me to cool the butter/sugar mixture. The chocolate chips melted when I folded them in so I must not have waited long enough for the mixture to cool. They still taste amazing!

suzybaker — April 8, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

Went with the premade Tollhouse cookie dough. Super easy. Everyone loved them.

Maeghan Lovejoy — April 11, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

This is a great idea! I’ll skip the peanut butter, my daughter is allergic, and get to enjoy a yummy “cup” candy!

what katie's baking — April 11, 2012 @ 11:40 pm

i can’t believe i’m just now seeing these.
    these are sent from heaven, i’m pretty sure haha!

heather — April 12, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

Do you think regular sized muffin tins would work? Also, do you think you could leave out the flour so it would be gluten free?

• Jessica — April 12th, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

Regular sized will work, they will just be big! And I’m not sure about leaving the flour out entirely… but I made these with coconut flour and actually loved the taste even more. If possible, I’d try a gluten free flour before leaving it out.

Kristen — April 13, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

These are so delicious! My boyfriend and I completely enjoyed them. Next time to save time I may just use the pre-made cookie dough idea if I’m in a rush. But I will definitely make again!! yummm

Pauline — April 14, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

These were amazing! I just made them today and they’re absolutely delicious. And genius. What an awesome recipe. I’m definitely going to be spreading this one around!

Brooke — April 14, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

Cook dough is hardening as I write this. I really hope they turn out!

Melissa — April 19, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

Hi,
    I was just wondering if you could make these with the three flavors that you included in your
    cookie dough dip trio. I was thinking of making these for a friend, and they sound delicious.
    Thanks!

Angela — April 22, 2012 @ 12:03 am

Holy. Crap. This is pretty brilliant. Must have these.

Susann — April 25, 2012 @ 9:58 am

Amazing. I love this cookies. Your pictures are amazing to. Great shots. Yummy yummy!

Vanessa — April 25, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

Oh my! Those looks so good. Cookie dough is the best. I could proabably eat all those in one sitting.

Kayla — April 26, 2012 @ 10:16 am

Does anyone know if you can just leave the peanut butter out? Or substitute it for anything? My family is not big on peanut butter but these look amazing!

Cassie — April 27, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

ok so I wish I would have seen this page before I attempted to make these. My husband told me about these but didn’t tell me to use the cupcake things. So after I made them I thought, hummm how am I going to get these out of the tin! Ya the bottom chocolate is not attached now but the top is and man are they looking good!!!!!

Cassie — April 27, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

oh Kayla I just used a normal chocolate chip cookie recipe

Jenn @therebelchick — April 30, 2012 @ 11:00 am

I should not be reading your blog while I am on a diet. OMG!!!

ATasteOfMadness — April 30, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

I think I have gone and went to dessert heaven, this looks SO GOOD! I can’t even believe it!

zed officious — May 5, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

I’m ashamed for you.

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — May 10, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

I saw (and pinned) these on pinterest. I had to rush right over and get the recipe. OMGosh do these look amazing! Thank you so much for sharing.

kiki — May 12, 2012 @ 8:05 am

can we meet for lunch next time these are being served? :)

Jen Erhart — May 12, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

Replace flour with rice flour and that simply these are gluten free………….oh, wow!

Kathleen — May 16, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

For those of you who are using pre-made or the standard cookie dough recipe, take note that this one doesn’t have eggs in it. Your other recipes or pre-made stuff has eggs, and the dough isn’t getting cooked. Not a good plan to eat raw cookie dough (although we all know we do), especially if these weren’t being refrigerated all the time.

Chelsea — June 1, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

I absolutely love this idea and I am trying to make them right now. the only problem I am having is that I didn’t use peanut butter and when the butter brown sugar mixture cooled it was one big hard brown sugar candy making it impossible to stir in the powdered sugar, salt, and flour..any suggestions? Thank you!

Kristi @ lifesprinkles — June 3, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

yum! these look too good to be true! ;)

Myriah — June 5, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

I just made these using my sister’s home-made cashew butter!!! OMG they are killer! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Beth — June 15, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

Sooo….I just made these, kinda. I was out of butter (whoops!) so I substituted unsweetened applesauce instead (cause I do that in my regular cookie recipe, so it seemed like a good idea). Of course, chilling makes the butter hard, right? And applesauce doesn’t harden…yeah it was a thick soupy gloop. I filled the chocolate cups with it anyway. Not terrible, just not the best cookie dough flavor and texture. Kinda has a bit of acidic appleyness to them, oh well. They are my hubby’s Dad’s Day gift in two days, so they will just have to do! His B-day is the following week, so I could just surprise him with a follow-up correct version, I guess. Thanks for the recipe idea! PS to those using store bought cookie dough – it has raw eggs in it, I would just make the recipe given or your own standard cookie recipe minus those raw eggs!!!

Surkhab — July 2, 2012 @ 8:54 am

looks delicious :-)

Jenny — July 3, 2012 @ 2:56 am

Yum! That looks delicious, have never made cookies from scratch so look forward to giving it a try!

Anna — July 4, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Very *very* good. I made these to take to a Fourth of July brunch and had to restrain myself from eating half of them before I went. I made a similar recipe a couple years ago that didn’t include peanut butter, but I very much like that addition.

meg — July 7, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

these look amazing. Must try this week.

Elizabeth — July 18, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

Hello my name is Elizabeth and I work for a small library in Wyoming. We are currently putting together a recipie book for our annual Death By Chocolate Fundraiser. We’re using the recipies from the event, but we need pictures for the dividers, and I just love the picture at the bottom of this post (your Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups). If you would be interested in talking to me about what we could do to use your photo, please email me. Thank you for your time.

Tim — August 6, 2012 @ 12:17 am

That has to be the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. My kids will love it! Thanks for the recipe.

Ailidh — September 8, 2012 @ 11:27 am

I have literally just drooled all over my keyboard…

Michelle McGuckin — September 9, 2012 @ 9:05 am

These look amazing. Thanks for sharing!

daniela @ foodrecipeshq — September 10, 2012 @ 8:23 am

These are addictive indeed!

Dentist Austin Chicago — September 26, 2012 @ 2:50 am

Looks so tasty. Thanks for posting.

sonumishra — October 3, 2012 @ 3:16 am

Here you might think that why not you self pack your food for holidays, but such solution will not work in your favour as in what way you pack, its definite that eatables will get contact with air and might be to dust particles too which can destroy the nutrition and freshness level of food and here too you will have chance to get ill, so again is the only solution that is packed food.

Fashi News — October 7, 2012 @ 11:15 am

Great !!!!!!

Dentist Palisades — October 16, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the post. Looks delicious.

Dana — October 28, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

These look incredible Jessica!. Reese’s and cookie dough? Yea, I’ll make sure to keep the dish soap handy just in case.! LOL Thanks for the great recipe.

MorganM — November 1, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

making these nows!!!

Yessenia — November 13, 2012 @ 11:51 pm

Help! Cooking rookie here…what does it mean to “fold in mini chocolate chips?”

Vedette — December 6, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

Anything with peanut butter is an instant favorite of mine. I’m going to make these in bigger sizes so I can add more peanut butter into them this coming weekend. I’m sure that my kids will like them.