I don’t know if I’ve ever told you, but Mother Lovett had a major thing for dip.

Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip I howsweeteats.com

I mean… really had A THING.

And when I say dip, I mean the mayo or sour cream based dips that come in tupperware containers (always saved + reused…) in the dairy aisle at the grocery store. Trust me, right about now she is probably rolling over in her grave with all this hummus talk going on in the world. Don’t even get me started on guacamole.

At any given time she’d have four or five varieties in her fridge. Yeah baby… four of five. Granted two of them were usually expired, and while she claimed “oh they’re fine!” more often than not yet another container was opened by a grandchild or visitor.

Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip I howsweeteats.com

I was never a huge fan of creamy dips as a kid (mainly because they included vegetables. yes i’m serious.), but that’s not saying I always passed up a nice swoop into a bowl of french onion or bacon horseradish. I usually succumbed to the pressure, because that’s what you did at grandma and grandpa’s house: ate all of their Pringles, pretzel twists and Fritos with huge globs of dip.

[Meanwhile, I also participated in an extremely weird obsession during the summer of 1992 consisting of a million pretzel sticks dipped in chive cream cheese while watching Rescue 911 episodes with my cousin Lacy. But whatever. Stuff happens.]

The other wonderful trait Mother Lovett adopted in her old age (besides touching every single cookie on the platter before choosing the one she deemed worthy) was that of double dipping. She was the worst double dipper EVER. In public too. It was actually horrifying. Alright, I have to stop talking about it. I’m cringing.

She’s been on my mind a lot lately; in fact I’m pretty sure she is sending my brain food cravings from the grave. I’ve been locked into my own chip + phase, and well… you can imagine how that is turning out. So in order to feel a little better about my junk consumption, I caramelized onions for a good 40 minutes or so then whipped them into a big container of Greek yogurt with a few other flavors. Not identical to her old favorites, but seriously, seriously did the trick. I’m think you could even dip some vegetables in here, but then I’m not sure if we could be friends anymore.

So, whatever… that’s up to you.

Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip I howsweeteats.com

Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip

makes about 2 cups of dip

1 medium red onion, chopped

1 medium sweet onion, chopped

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 tablespoon salted butter

1 16-ounce container of plain 2% Greek yogurt

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

In a large pot, add olive oil and butter over low heat. Once melted, add in chopped onions with 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and stir until all onions are coated in the oil mixture. Cover the pot and cook for approximately 45 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes. After 45 minutes, stir in 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and let cook for 5 minutes more. Remove onions from heat (as long as they are caramelized) and stir in remaining brown sugar.

In a large bowl, mix together yogurt and onions, stirring in salt, pepper and garlic powder. Taste and add more seasoning if desired. Serve with chips, pretzels or (ugh) veggie sticks.

Note: if Greek yogurt is still to tart with all the mix-ins or tastes too “healthy” for you, feel free to do half sour cream/half yogurt. Still better than the stuff from the store!

Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip I howsweeteats.com

Those chips are buffalo + blue flavor and yes, I am surviving on them alone.

109 Responses to “Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip.”

janetha @ meals & moves — April 19, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

i love those chips and i betcha id love that dip with them.

Eileen — April 19, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

This dip recipe is making me want to throw a party, so I have an excuse to make a double batch!

DessertForTwo — April 19, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

I think Mother Lovett is whispering in your ear too. My grandma does that sort of thing from the grave, too. Usually when I’m about to buy something expensive, she whispers ‘I lived 90 years without such luxury!’ so I put it back on the shelf out of guilt.

Tracy {Pale Yellow} — April 19, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

I love a great onion dip! This one sounds simple and delicious, I can’t wait to have a party to serve it!

nicole — April 19, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

omg i LOVED rescue 911!!! remember the one where the boy like, got his hoodie string caught in an escaltor and it choked him? escalators have freaked me out since!

amy — April 19, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

for some reason right now..that sounds SO good. im not really a chips and dip kinda person…but wow..i want this bad. pregnancy cravings maybe? or probably just your awesome pics :) yummm

honeywhatscooking — April 19, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

this looks so amazing.. such a healthier approach to using sour cream and i bet it tastes even more delicious. YUM!

Caroline~the wanna be country girl — April 19, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Your dip looks so cool and refreshing. I’m on a bit of a dip jag myself. I’m trying this one ASAP. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Caroline

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — April 19, 2012 @ 6:53 pm

I bought a dip like this one at Trader Joe’s, and immediately ate the whole container once I got home with some Sweet Potatoe chips. I am going to make this, and most likely devour the whole thing all over again. sweet. pleasure.

Quiche-ing Queen — April 19, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

This looks so delicious. I need to make this very soon. I don’t think I’d be able to stop myself from eating the entire batch in one sitting.

Megan — April 19, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

Your grandma’s love for dips makes me smile. Time spent with mine always included Fritos scoops and lipton french onion dip. :)

The Starving Artist — April 19, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

Omg Greek Yogurt is my favorite thing to use for dip. This looks SO good. Thanks for sharing – your blog is gorgeous!

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — April 20, 2012 @ 6:14 am

That would be perfect with some meat on the side as well! Yummy! :D

April V — April 20, 2012 @ 9:18 am

Oh my gosh! I forgot all about Rescue 911!! That used to be my favorite show growing up!! …and that dip looks amazing :)

Bonita Millhollin — April 20, 2012 @ 10:12 am

New to your blog…but have been all over it this morning …darn you…I need to get out of this chair!
    I think you need to write a “Mother Lovett” book! I would buy it! I have laughed out loud (and you know I did as I wrote that all out and didn’t use the blasted LOL you see all over on line) cried, and gasped as I thought “my recipe’s look like that” and darn you again as I went into a tailspin “oh no is that one more thing I should clean up, straighten up so when they come in behind me they don’t see
    what a horrible house keeper I am….oh don’t worry I settled down and thought !#@$%^&*(_(*&^%$#
    NO perhaps somebody will write a delightful story about me and what a character I was …perhaps memories will be sparked! At any rate I thank you for writing yours! I thoroughly enjoyed my morning, and I’ll be back! Hopefully for a few more years Keep em coming sweetie!

Bonita Millhollin — April 20, 2012 @ 10:14 am

oh and ps…..my momma liked her dip too! Perhaps it was something from their era….

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — April 20, 2012 @ 10:56 am

There’s honestly not much I like more than a good onion dip. Even a not so good one is pretty amazing. I need to try this healthier verson!

Moni Meals — April 20, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

this is so my style of dip! Plus then using the yogurt, it is not so rich and JUST pure 100% sour ream, I love it!

P.S. I Love Baking — April 20, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

It looks so heavenly…=)

Susan @ Afford Your Passions — April 20, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

I love Greek yogurt dip, but I think more than the dip, I love the bowl it is in! How cute is that?

Erin — April 20, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

Do you think that it would make a good salad dressing if it was thinned out with a little lowfat buttermilk? (I know you’re cringing right now since I just mentioned vegetables, but I promise my salad will have cheese and bacon in it).

Jaime — April 20, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

Yea i just made this. I am in SERIOUS trouble.

cecilia g — April 20, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

And i have a really big pot of greek yoghurt in the pot right now, it should be ready by tomorrow then i am making this!! wonderful.. c

meg — April 20, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

I’m making it right now and the smells are awesome. I know it’s going to taste delish!

meg — April 20, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

Yes It’s a winner. Wow awesome!

MeLissa Rocco — April 20, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

Those Buffalo and Blue Chips are addictive!!! I *just* finished the bag I had of them last night…totally in withdrawal. Now I’m testing out the Jalapeno ones…also good, but better when dipped into sourcream. :D

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — April 21, 2012 @ 9:48 am

umm I TOTALLY participated in that pretzel + chive cream cheese fad. It was awesome.

Sara — April 22, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

So I just bought a bag of the buffalo bleu chips today….. they’re ridiculous. Love.

Di @ Life is Di-licious — April 22, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

Sounds wonderful. I grew up with French Onion dip made from a packet. Now days the dairy case at the supermarket is filled with exotic flavour combinations. But they never taste as good as homemade. I’m definitely going to try this one out!

Meredith — April 23, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Hi! I just wanted to say thanks so much for the recipe! I made this over the weekend and doubled the batch – took it to two different events – and everyone loved it! So many rave reviews! I’ll be keeping this recipe as a go-to all spring and summer long!

Jennie — May 17, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

1) Thank you for getting me into Buffalo Bleu Cheese chips. NOT. I bought a double bag and my fiance and I ate them in approximately 30 minutes.
    2) This dip is ridiculous. I just ate some with homemade pita chips… OMG. I was so paranoid about burning the onions that it took me an hour and half to caramelize them but once they were there…. mmmm….it’s amazing how rich the dip tastes even with 2% greek yogurt. I’m a big sour cream fan and I think this tasted even BETTER … sort of like how Philly cream cheese dips taste.
    3) I love Mother Lovett stories. I have a thing for dip too. My thighs however, they do not.

Mary — May 27, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

I made this today and I absolutely love it. Thanks for the great recipe.

Jen — September 5, 2012 @ 12:43 am

I SO want to make this for a party this weekend – in place of the canned French Onion dip my hubby would buy. Could I make it ahead and serve it straight from the fridge? Thanks!

Kate — September 10, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

I made this yesterday for Week 1 of the NFL season and it was really good. My boyfriend enjoyed it as well and didn’t know it was made with greek yogurt at first. I served it with baked potato chips. My favorite brands are Utz Ruffles and Kettle Brand Baked.

herblovinmom — January 26, 2013 @ 7:10 pm

I just made this dip with my homemade yogurt and I cant say enough how delicious this is. YUM YUM YUM. I added a bit more salt and some agave syrup to give more sweetness… Sooooo good. Thank you for this recipe. I’m sure I’ll use it many more times over the years. That processed junk in the grocery stores just isn’t my style… :))

Peace
    Brooke

AmyP — July 1, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

I just made this using 7 oz. FAGE 2% yogurt and it is fantastic. Tastes like the high fat stuff except my whole batch only has 207 calories! OMG!

djintn — September 12, 2013 @ 8:32 am

Stumbled on the website and have clicked/printed so many of the recipes to try later. Looking forward to some serious eating during football. I am interested in the buffalo chips. What brand are those?

Daniel — January 26, 2014 @ 9:07 pm

Making the dip now

amy — February 2, 2014 @ 4:57 pm

Thanks for the recipe. It was delicious as is, but I added some can’t believe it’s not bouillon to make it more like that french onion dip recipe. It’s going to the Super Bowl party.

CAROLINE DAVID — July 31, 2014 @ 10:29 pm

I was looking for days for a recipe like this one! If you don’t mind I will share it on my website http://greekyogurtdip.org/

CAROLINE DAVID — July 31, 2014 @ 10:31 pm