Oh mahhhhhh gosh.

It’s totally summer and I’m unreasonably jazzed. I even washed some old-school Arden B white crops from 2007 last week in preparation for the season. Which are definitely still lying at the edge of my bed in a wrinkled heap, but it’s the thought that counts. Two things I will never do: be an ironing fairy and wash my baseboards. I’m a complete disappointment to my previous generations.

Sooo here are my current top 10 recipes I would suggest for this Memorial Day weekend. Now if you ask me tomorrow I’m sure my mind will absolutely change, but I’m your fickle stereotypical girl and that is the deal today. You’re probably going to a party (and you should never go empty handed!) since you’re waaay cooler than me, so let’s get this partay started.

Tilapia Burgers with Watermelon Salsa + Avocado

Yeah, I know – not traditional whatsoever. I would never kick your typical hamburger and hotdog out of bed, and I’m seriously looking forward to ingesting a charred-to-a-crisp hotdog this weekend on a toasted bun, but these are an insanely tasty addition or alternative. I can’t stop making them.

This crazy Feta dip

So simple. So easy. If you think you don’t like the ingredients, or you think you won’t like this, you are probably wrong. For some reason this is so mind-blowing. I don’t understand it but I don’t hate it.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Snack Squares

I highly suggest making a double or triple batch of these bars to have around as a grab-and-go snack this weekend. Plus, they are healthy and have chocolate. Win.

Crockpot Bourbon Bacon Baked Beans

Baked beans. Memorial Day. Summer. This is like a no-brainer people. And a requirement. I never said I wasn’t cliche.

Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken

Initially made for tacos, you can throw this in the crockpot and use it for sandwiches, plain old pulled chicken or quesadillas. BEER.

Strawberry Mango Basil Salsa

Another old favorite of mine, this salsa is perfect because strawberries and mangos are currently so juicy and sweet. If the basil freaks you out, try it with cilantro, parsley or even mint. But it’s definitely a keeper.

BBQ Portobello Sliders

Because everything mini is cuter.

Roasted Potatoes to Change Your Life

Major flavor explosion. Seriously. And it’s easy to make lots.

Thai Chicken Wings

You may not want to turn on the oven, but you can bring the sauce to a boil, grill your chicken wings, and then cover them in sauce. The flavor is spot on for us.

Peanut Butter Fudge Coffee Ice Cream Cupcakes

Ugh. I know… I just shared them, but they are SO GOOD. And they have ice cream! They scream summer. You can make them immediately (like uh, now), keep them in the freezer and eat them ALL weekend. Sounds like a plan?

And obviously, I’m basically demanding that you consume a fresh strawberry margarita, a coconut mango mojito and a fresh mint watermelon soda float… with vodka.

Have a great long weekend! And if you’re not celebrating Memorial Day, have a bodacious regular weekend. I’ll probably be back to exploit my boring life on Crumbs at some point.

26 Responses to “Stuff You Can Make For Memorial Day.”

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — May 26, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Love all of these recipes!! :) I won’t be cooking this weekend though … just eating. ;) So I’ll have to save these delicious ideas for another weekend!

Brittany @ Eating Bird Food — May 26, 2012 @ 8:41 am

I’ll have one of everything please with a couple extra scoops of the strawberry mango basil salsa. Please come to Richmond and cook with me. Thanks!

PS – I will never be an iron fairy either – we actually don’t own an iron! I guess it’s a good thing we’re getting married soon. I can put it on the registry (and then it can sit around and collect dust).

Happy weekend.

Julie — May 26, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Someone, please remind me not to check howsweeteats prior to 8am! My son and I had the PBOSS in the oven before I even fed my family breakfast this morning. Mrs. How Sweet It Is, I can’t wait to meet you in Heaven. I’ll be the one in the peanut butter buffet line. If I don’t find you there, I’ll check the bacon buffet.

• Jessica — May 26th, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Hahaha I love this… let me know how they are!

• Julie — May 26th, 2012 @ 10:19 pm

Of the many, many, many recipes of howsweeteats I’ve tried, I’ve not had to toss one; they all find a permanent home in my recipe binder. However, with tears in my eyes and oatmeal crumbs on my chin, I regret to inform you that I’ll not be taking up space in my binder with the PBOSS. I have such a sweet tooth that I want a sweeter flavor and moister texture. “But Julie, it’s a snack square and not a dessert.” I’ve tried to reason with myself all afternoon. It’s not working as self isn’t listening. However, I’m off to eat one more snack square with a tall glass of cold milk before going to bed.

Patti G — May 26, 2012 @ 8:57 am

I am not a fish eater, much like you don’t eat vegetables. But your Tilapia burgers sound intriguing & I’m going to give them a try.
    Thanks for sharing!

Katie — May 26, 2012 @ 9:00 am

oooh heavens I’ve missed you!!! I haven’t read a blog in weeks and here I am back on the saddle, just loving you to pieces.

That crazy feta dip IS mind blowing, and I hate jalapenos, so that’s really saying something. Also, a reader sent me a ginormous batch of those PB oatmeal squares of yours, and I hid them from Meeker because I don’t to share. True story.

Happy weekend, my friend.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 26, 2012 @ 9:38 am

Oh my Gosh, can I celebrate memorial Day weekend with you? Everything looks fantastic! Have a wonderful and fun weekend!!

Rachel — May 26, 2012 @ 9:41 am

I actually made the crazy feta dip for the second time yesterday to bring to an office potluck. People went crazy for it. I had to keep convincing people to try it, because a lot of them, like me, hate feta. (And I hate jalepenos too!) But it’s just so freakin good! And on microwaved sesame pita it’s just so good it should be wrong.

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — May 26, 2012 @ 9:50 am

I swear…. I would be in heaven if I ever went to a party that you would throw!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 26, 2012 @ 11:38 am

Oh awesome recap! I had forgotten about many of these…great reminders. And great that you’re not living up to the older generations standards and doing much of any ironing or baseboard washing. lol I still have memories of my parents doing spring cleaning on this weekend, and washing the baseboards!

Stephanie — May 26, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

Thank you for the list! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Lauren @ Part Time House Wife — May 26, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

All of these look incredible! and your pictures are just beautiful!

liz — May 26, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

wow! fantastic collection. I’m seriously contemplating running out into the pouring rain to go get me some feta so I can have that dip NOW.

Selina — May 26, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

god, i can’t decide!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 27, 2012 @ 5:27 am

Awesome round-up of recipes! I’ll have to make all of them, starting with those portobello sliders!

Kathy Martin — May 27, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

Goodness! This post is chalked full of fabulous looking recipes! The one that made me get up and go bake….the Peanut Butter Oatmeal Snack Squares. Couldn’t help myself! And now I’m trying to keep from eating the whole pan! ;) Thanks for sharing! :)

Sana — May 27, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

Your pictures look amazing! Good job!

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — May 28, 2012 @ 10:56 am

That strawberry salsa looks amazing!!!

Punctuation Mark — May 28, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

everything looks amazing!!!

Neil — May 28, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

why is everything you make so delicious?

Mia — May 28, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

I just read the original post for the potatoes. Not only does the recipe look amazing (and what sort of person wouldn’t love gorgonzola on potatoes???), but I was so excited over your mention of the Wakefield sisters. I need you to know that I started my own Unicorn Club in 4th grade. It was very exclusive, and very much the highlight of my life for the 3-4 weeks I was able to keep other girls interested in a club that really did nothing but meet during recess on a piece of playground equipment shaped like a giraffe. Wish you could have been there ;)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 28, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

hot dogs grilled to the max – yes please… and definitely an ice cream cupcake please! :)

Alexa — May 29, 2012 @ 10:23 am

Props to your amazing recipes! I made FIVE of them, and they were a huge hit with my family!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 29, 2012 @ 10:38 am

Jessica, i LOVE LOVE LOVE all of these link ups. I wasn’t at my computer all weekend so I missed these, but will DEF be making those bourbon baked beans + oatmeal pb snack squares ASAP. I love baked beans.. it’s disgusting, I could eat them for every meal!

1. Pingback: Bourbon-Bacon Baked Beans