1. Is there anything better than a winter sunset? This is a completely unfiltered, unedited photo taken with my phone last week. I actually watched this sunset in disbelief from my car. I think my jaw was on the floor for a full three or four minutes or, you know, however long it took that sun to set.

2. Oh and I’m pretty sure I’m the only person who, during this deep freeze, demands that the ceiling fan be on while I sleep. I really do.

3. I actually found this week’s Girls episodes to be one of my favorites ever. Ever ever ever. Such a wonderful disaster. Was that even real? Shosanna? I think I am just going to begin all of my phone calls with “how are you, I’m amazing.” Also, by midnight on Sunday I had already watched it three times. I watched it at 9, 10 and 11. My life is so exciting.  (It’s opposite day.)

4. In case you were wondering, my husband still seriously hates the show with the fire of a thousand suns. That probably doesn’t even describe the level of hate. We are talking severe disdain. I mean, on Saturday my brother turned it on and Eddie actually LEFT THE ROOM. It’s kind of hilarious. I warned him to not even watch the Golden Globes last week since it would simply be a Homeland/Girls lovefest. And I was right. And it was incredible.

5. I swear, for the millionth time, that my life doesn’t revolve around TV. Except that… it sort of does.

6. Discovered this new-to-me blog a few days ago and lost myself for two hours inside of it. So pretty. I’m in love.

7. Let’s collectively try this advice on how to get ready at Sephora for free. Especially #5. Every time I leave that store I’m like one giant glitter bomb. At what age is this not appropriate? Because 30 just isn’t working for me.

8. Um… I think I still owe you a NYC eats post from our trip in November? I’m turning into my mother, who has to read “old news.” Doesn’t matter where she is, she must read every and all newspapers even if they are two, three or four weeks old. Wait… what’s a newspaper? Ugh. So 2013.

9. At this point on Tuesday afternoon, I would probably pay someone a ridiculous amount of money to show up at my door with these blood orange bars. And then I would proceed to stare at them like an idiot because they are way to beautiful to eat.

10. Things I’ve made in the last week: the hummus from the Jerusalem cookbook (I just have to say good grief… ridiculous… and I think I lived on warm pita and hummus for four days) and these buffalo chicken french breads, but on this pizza dough and with quadruple the amount of fontina. Obnoxious does not even begin to explain it. What have you made?

11. I’ve had to fast all morning for routine blood work and in true Jessica fashion, I feel like I’m at death’s door and about to starve to death. Don’t worry, I already have two cookies packed up for the minute I get back in the car. Because I am the picture of health.

58 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Ashley — January 22, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

Isn’t Oh, Ladycakes THE BEST??? Lucky for me she lives in Denver. :)

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork — January 22, 2013 @ 2:30 pm

I saw the Thought Catalog Getting Ready @ Sephora and instantly thought of you. You’re one of my favorite make up queens. :)

Carly @ Snack Therapy — January 22, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

I want to live in your house and be your best friend. I promise, I’ll do all of the cleaning if you do all of the cooking.

Kristina — January 22, 2013 @ 2:48 pm

I LOVE Oh, Ladycakes.

Jason leaves the room with MOST of the shows I watch… except for Jeopardy, where he answers every question correctly and then I leave the room.

Plenty used to be one of my most read cookbooks… like, just sit and thumb through it because it is so beautiful. Now Jerusalem is that book.

Morgan — January 22, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

That sunset is incredible. We have gorgeous ones in Phoenix, but I have yet to see a fuchsia colored sky like that!

Also – thanks for sharing Oh, Ladycakes! I am already obsessed with her photography. Gorg!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 22, 2013 @ 2:58 pm

It’s okay. My evenings revolve around tv too. Sometimes my days too. Like, last week, there was a Most Eligible Dallas marathon on Bravo. The show is not even that good, but I liked it anyway. I was already not feeling well, but the marathon was what really pushed me to call in sick for the day…sigh….

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — January 22, 2013 @ 3:01 pm

that sunset is beautiful!! and Girls I LOVE SHOSHANA

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — January 22, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

Every single recipe I’ve seen made out of Jerusalem just looks straight up beautiful. As do those blood orange lemon bars, ohhhhh my.

My boyfriend hasn’t watched much Girls, but he definitely laughed at the end of this past episode when they’re dragging Adam away. How is it possible that that whole situation was so tragic and awkward and hilarious all at once??

Jessica — January 22, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

I also loved during Adam’s video when Elijah says, “He looks so scary with all those tools behind him.”

Jen — January 22, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

I got up this morning & it was -10 degrees outside, ceiling fan blowing on me on medium speed year round with 400 pounds of blankets on top and just my head peeking out with the wind in my face! Maybe I’m secretly a dog?

Anastasia — January 22, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

The buffalo chicken on the garlic pizza crust looks amazing! I’m putting that on my list of things to make next week. This week I made this Angel Chicken. It was pretty good! i’ve been obsessed with slow cooker recipes recently. so. easy. http://cleverlyinspired.com/2011/02/07/angel-chicken-slow-cooker/

Elizabeth — January 22, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

I pretty much lived on that hummus and your buffalo chicken pizza this week. Weird. But yes, that hummus is the bomb. And every time DH eats it he says, “This is the best hummus I’ve ever had.” Every. Single. Time. I’ll take it.

Amy — January 22, 2013 @ 3:31 pm

I had a sunrise like that last week. I was late to work because I had to pull over and Instagram it. No shame in this game.

Also, I rewound the Shosh thing like five times.

Little Kitchie — January 22, 2013 @ 3:38 pm

Oh, Ladycakes is darling. Oh, and I’m totally down for #7.

Michele — January 22, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

I’ve heard plenty good about the Jerusalem hummus and plan on getting my hands on that book immediately…
    What have I made lately? Well we’ve been snowed in for the past four days, so I filled my days by making carrot soup, sourdough (two loaves made three days ago and it’s all gone now…), and butter! Like real butter. It was weird. It tastes like gold though, straight up.

Chloe @Ergo-Blog — January 22, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

That sunset is gorgeous! My boyfriend hates Girls too…I still have to see this week’s episode!! I’m obsessed with that show! I’ll definitely admit it…my life revolves around TV. hehe. =) I can’t go in Sephora or even Lord & Taylor because I ususally smell so bad from trying all the perfumes. lol! =)

Good luck with your bloodwork! Happy Tuesday!

Larissa — January 22, 2013 @ 3:58 pm

I saw that sunset as well, here in Johnstown, PA area. It was gorgeous! My daughter and I were on our way to pick up my son from basketball practice so it was behind us most of the drive. If I hadn’t thought I was running a bit short on time, I would have stopped to take a picture. Gorgeous!!!

Alicia Greenrabbit — January 22, 2013 @ 4:05 pm

You and my daughter ,although she’ll sleep under 3 heavy blankets with the fan blowing .Go figure…..

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — January 22, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

Thursday’s sunset = incredible. I have a very similar photo from when I stopped at a red light. Amazing.

lisag — January 22, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

Love the pink n purple sunset!
    I made these yesterday: I’m late to the party.

Simone — January 22, 2013 @ 4:39 pm

This past week I haven’t been “successful” at making much – but I did make a DELICIOUS pizza from “Yes I Want Cake” [but used your whole wheat crust because I didn’t have 18 hours for the one she had posted], chewy coconut oatmeal cookies from “Two Peas and their Pod”, Trader Joes Butternut Squash Triangoli and have indulged in whole wheat italian bread and some french silk cream pie my boss’ wife made.

And I just might have to make that banana thing you posted because it looks decadent. And the almond meal crusted chicken fingers.

Stephanie — January 22, 2013 @ 4:53 pm

I have the first season of Girls on DVD (Merry Christmas to me!) but I haven’t started it yet. I just know I’m going to need to watch everyepisoderightaway and I haven’t had the time to do that yet. But the hubby’s out of town this Saturday and I’m thinking that’ll be the perfect time for a Girls marathon. Also, we sleep with the ceiling fan on, a window unit (classy!) on in fan mode, and our window cracked through the winter. And did I mention we close the two a/c vents in our room to ENSURE no heat gets in? BTW, the low last night hovered around freezing and it was windy and we slept like babies.

• Jess — January 22nd, 2013 @ 6:43 pm

How is it I have never thought of that?? I absolutely ROAST every night – and our heat never goes above 65, gets turned down to 55 at night. But, duh, I never thought about closing the vents in the bedroom. Thanks for the great idea! ;-)

Julie — January 22, 2013 @ 5:00 pm

Love the new blog, thanks for passing that along! And I saw Lena Dunham on The Daily Show, and my husband (who normally despises all things hipster) was like, “Oh, she’s just so candid! I think we’re obsessed with her.”

Men confuse me.

Holiday Baker Man — January 22, 2013 @ 5:07 pm

Waiting to see more!

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — January 22, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

Haha Girls was the best this week! Shoshana is ridiculous, and Ray just eating it up?! Hannah at the end, “I might come later!” I can’t believe your husband doesn’t like it. My husband would watch it without me even, especially now that Donald Glover has been on there.

Kacy — January 22, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

That sunset is amazing. I miss being able to see that much sky at once.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 22, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

There is nothing wrong with loving on some good TV. If you like suspenseful shows you should watch The Following. It is SO good. And the lead actor’s last name is Bacon. If this is not a show for you, I don’t know what is ;)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 22, 2013 @ 6:33 pm

Love Ashlae’s blog too. Such great (vegan) recipes, photography, stories.

And that sunset. Omg breathtaking. No words!

Stephanie — January 22, 2013 @ 6:43 pm

I sleep with the fan on no matter how cold it is too. It’s my “cheap white noise machine.”

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — January 22, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I had to fast last week for a glucose test for my pregnancy, and I thought I was going to kill someone when it was all said and done. It was not pretty!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — January 22, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

Ladycakes is an awesome blog–agree! The photography and layout of the website is so beautiful…definitely makes you want to read more.

Well, you aren’t alone, because I keep the fan on too. And I haven’t even turned on my heat all winter (granted, I live in an apartment building and we seem to just have a lot of residual heat in the building, or I’m crazy maybe).

Rachel — January 22, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

#2 every night!

Christine — January 22, 2013 @ 10:21 pm

just checked out lady cakes and fell in love. Also, think it’s great you packed cookies for the car ride home…so something I would do too. I don’t know how some people go more than a few hours without food, seriously.

Celeste — January 22, 2013 @ 10:34 pm

I think we might be the same person actually. Except for the cold thing. I sleep with a heated mattress pad in the summer.

I made a “Mexican lasagna” casserole, my first ever batch of homemade granola (with quinoa!), and attempted Filipino food (ginataang bilo bilo). They were not so great, but hey, I tried!

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — January 22, 2013 @ 10:41 pm

Thanks for sharing the link to Oh, Ladycakes – what a beautiful site! I have Jerusalem on my list of books to snatch up and have heard so many great things about it, can’t wait to try that hummus! Finally, I’m so glad I’m not the only person that stashes emergency snacks in her purse. My BF secretly things I’m a 5 year old… everything from dry cereal, saltines with PB&J, cookies, truffles… anything is game. Because seriously, if I get way too hungry I’m awful to deal with!

Julie — January 22, 2013 @ 10:44 pm

Uh-mazing! We could be TV old-sames! (Book old-sames if you can name the book that is from….) My husband and I just last night finished the large commitment of FNL season 1. Can I BE Tami Taylor? My husband wants to be Tim Riggens which I guess I understand minus the dad issues. AND also Homeland! I am so jealous of everyone who has never seen it. I feel that way about all the good ones though. Nurse Jackie? Please say you also love! If you have never seen go right now and find it. I have 2 little boys and work full time. Do NOT worry about finding time to watch TV once you have kids. They go to bed early and what else will you do anyway? Love your blog!

Jade Sheldon — January 23, 2013 @ 12:04 am

I’ve been lusting after those blood orange bars too. And I feel like a lucky girl because I totally got my husband addicted to GIRLS right along with me.

JulieD — January 23, 2013 @ 12:04 am

Okay I need to watch Girls! And umm I feel like I’m gonna die every time I have to fast for a blood test too!

Ronni — January 23, 2013 @ 12:37 am

I think we may be living parallel lives.
    I saw that sunset. I sleep with the ceiling fan on. This was my favorite episode of Girls (but I won’t make my husband watch it. I’m sure he’d hate it). And I made that hummus this week! It’s so good. I timed myself peeling chickpeas: 13 minutes. Ridiculous, but worth it.

Jan Bertolini — January 23, 2013 @ 8:50 am

my favorite part of coming to work on wednesday is finding this in my emails… cut through all the exclamation point must read work stuff.. scroll right on down to this one. Fantastic start to my mornings..

Shannon — January 23, 2013 @ 9:29 am

Girl, you haven’t truly enjoyed hummus until you’ve had it with matbucha. (And then you’ll forget all about hummus.) Trust me. (and let me know if you need a recipe) ;-)

• Me again — January 23rd, 2013 @ 10:23 am

…and just to clarify– there are many weeks where the hubby & I spent planning our weekly menu around, “what can we put matbucha on?”

Katie — January 23, 2013 @ 10:11 am

#2 is sooo me!! I am so glad I am not the only one! I can not sleep without a fan on at high speed. :)

Alyssa — January 23, 2013 @ 10:47 am

I took a very similar photo last week!!

Lisa @ Floating Along... — January 23, 2013 @ 11:07 am

Gorgeous sunset!! And I’m totally with you on #3 – It doesn’t matter how cold it is, I will have a mountain of blankets on top of me and still need the fan on!

Jamie — January 23, 2013 @ 11:31 am

Those blood orange bars look AMAZING! I have to admit, I wasn’t too wild about the idea of an orange-like dessert, but those are just beautiful! What a lovely shade of pink!

stacy t — January 23, 2013 @ 1:28 pm

by the way – i made your buffalo chix french bread thingers – but i used leftover chix and i used english muffins…but it was the same! good god it was good! i have to try it on my pizza next time.

stacy t — January 23, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

and that image – was that taken on Saturday night? That was a sick sunset in NYC (i’m up in Westchester). I went to grab my camera and POOF it was gone. simply beautiful!

domesticourted — January 23, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

on 11. haha i had to do blood work last month and i almost slapped a crying baby in the waiting room i was in such a bad mood bc i was STARVING!! i’m with you. blood work should never be scheduled in the pm!! i love tuesday things!!!

Colette @ JFF! — January 23, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

Those blood-orange bars look wicked good!

mumma — January 23, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

You’re not alone with number 2 – I totally sleep with the fan on. Every single night of the year! http://bumpyroadtobubba.com/aboutme/

1. Pingback: Ginger Snaps « Ginger Foodie