Beer Biscuits with Spicy Meyer Lemon Butter.
These biscuits turned me into a bread girl.
I am so not a bread girl. Normally.
And before you go lambasting me about how lucky I am not to be a bread girl, how I am truly blessed to easily be able to pass up almost any and all bread baskets in my midst, please remember that I more than make up for my lack of bread with dessert. Like… everyone’s dessert. Like more dessert than anyone on Earth should physically consume. I mean, I can clean dessert plates like nobody’s business. No matter how full I am, there is always room for dessert.
So cliche. So very true.
I’m not quite sure if I was simply starving, brain dead from blasting my Jersey Boys soundtrack on high for the 56 millionth time (no exaggeration) or that these are as seriously delicious as I’m about to exclaim, but they were the best freaking biscuits I’ve ever had. Okay, okay – maybe not quite as good as those biscuits from McDonalds AFTER a disgraceful night of drinking, but otherwise, they are 100 times better than any other biscuits I’ve ever had. It’s not like I live in the South though and have had my share of fabulous biscuits. So take that as you will. AND! I tried super hard in 2012 to not use the words “best ever” for well, anything that I made, because is there really a best ever of anything? Not for me. Always looking for the next “best ever.” Always.
Clearly 2013 is not off to a very good start with that. 20 days in and I’ve set myself up for failure.
Oh, and the butter. THE BUTTER! It’s so weird but so great. Depending on how much heat you like, it can get even spicier. The meyer lemons make it a little tart and a little sweet, and unlike that crazy weird pizza I made two weeks ago, you CAN use regular old lemons here. Thank goodness, right? Right.
Monday just got so much easier.
My next step is to make some sort of boozy pot pie and top it off with these biscuits. Can’t you just taste it? Something with red wine and short ribs or… something. Well, that might be my third step. My actual next step is walking to the fridge to finish the leftover Chinese food from last night.
My Monday already needs an intervention.
Beer Biscuits with Sriracha Meyer Lemon Butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks, (3/4 cup cold butter), cut into tiny pieces
- 1 1/4 cups beer
sriracha meyer lemon butter
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick unsalted butter), softened
- the zest of 1 meyer lemon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda, and whisk until combined. Using a fork, pastry blender or your hands, add butter pieces to the flour and mix until coarse little crumbles remain. Make a well in the center and pour in beer, stirring with a large spoon until just combined, not overmixing. Use your hands if needed to bring the dough together – I did.
- Pat dough into a circle that is about 1 1/2 inches thick. This will make TALL biscuits! Using a biscuit/cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds and place on a nonstick baking sheet. You may need to bring the dough together and flatten it more to get the last few biscuits. Additionally, you could also just drop large spoonfuls of batter on the baking sheet and form them that way. Baker for 10-12 minutes, or until golden on top. Serve hot with sriracha meyer lemon butter!
sriracha meyer lemon butter
- Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well until combined.
And that butter is incredible on… yes, everything.