I’ve been drinking an obscene amount of coffee.

I know. Me… who supposedly “hates” coffee. Guess I don’t hate it anymore! Guess I got my wish: I wanted to be cool and drink coffee like everyone else. Now I’m cool. And jittery.

If you don’t follow along on instagram or twitter, you may not know that since last Fall, I’ve been working on finally putting things in a book for you. No, not a fiction novel (though I’m working on that too), but an actual cookbook. As it turns out, I had an extremely difficult time developing anything that I found good enough for my invisible internet friends. I like you and well – things have to be superb.

The good news is that I’m essentially finished (hello, 300 scrapped recipes later?) and late next year we can talk about a ton of my favorite (all new!) quick and easy, mostly healthy recipes. Yes, obviously they will include bacon because my healthy life includes bacon. If you don’t get that… oh well.

The bad news is that my house is officially disgusting. (However, I just wrote “digesting” by accident.) I’m not even close to joking. It is such a serious mess that I don’t even know where to begin in the cleaning process. Not so much dirty… just – cluttered? I go to sleep and wake up hoping that a magic cleaning fairy came and night and solved all my problems. And I don’t even have kids!

As a random sidebar: I put on (too much?) fancy makeup some days just because I love to play with it so much. No surprise.

In addition to that obnoxious amount of coffee I’ve been consuming, I mentioned briefly earlier this week about eating like a teenage boy, otherwise known as the food day from hell. Or from heaven – depends on how you look at it. Well I’m cracking and being real: we ate pulled pork tacos for breakfast, a donut at the airport, a Five Guys burger when we got off the plane and then at midnight – a Primanti’s sandwich. Yeah. Click that link if you don’t live in Pittsburgh. It was delicious.

Considering I fully expected to have a heart attack (or ten), I went and bought one of those green juices at Whole Foods, determining that yes! I would start my week off right! and have that for breakfast. Um. OMG. It was horrific. Like downright, gag me with a spoon disgusting. I hated it. I was such a dramatic freak, acting like I’d never tasted something so terrible in my LIFE. Maybe you’re not surprised, given my thoughts on vegetables and all, but I think I’ve been doing pretty well in the vegetable department lately. Err, well for me.

I just don’t know how you guys drink that stuff. Perhaps I should do with it what I did with coffee.

It didn’t occur to me until well after I wore them that perhaps thirty is too old to be wearing such bedazzled, almost stripper-esque shoes? Thankfully, I made myself ignore that voice. Don’t care.

Earlier this year I sort of accidentally tried to train for a half marathon. Thought that maaaaaybe it would be a good way to keep off extra cookbook pounds. Guess what? I quit. Not afraid to admit it. I loathe running with a passion. I’d much rather walk or honestly? Spend 45 minutes on an elliptical machine or spin bike. Crotch pain and all. Life’s too short to hate something you gotta make a choice to do daily.

Oh and the above picture? Don’t mind those crafty zigzag scissors – we all know I suck at crafts and they are simply leftover from a scrapbook kit I had a tough time parting with. That view and my kitchen is almost all I’ve stared at for eight months. And a lot of iTunes playlists and a lot of DVRed TV shows. I adore it buuuuut – your lovely interaction has saved me sanity. I really like you.

92 Responses to “Blogging Brain Dump.”

Arlene Diehl (@mybestrecipe) — June 2, 2013 @ 9:52 am

You wrote my sentiments regarding coffee! I, too, don’t like it. But you have made yourself drink it! I can’t do it. I always feel like I am outside some wonderful fan club that I cannot join.
    I soooo enjoy your posts. I want to be just like you when I grow up. Problem is.. I am close to 58. Feel like I’m 35 though. Keep it up.

I will most certainly want to buy your cookbook. Can hardly wait.

Natasha — June 2, 2013 @ 11:34 am

Well – You fanfrickintastic as far as I’m concerned. I subscrible to many a blog – and I f$@&! LOVE your style, the food you eat, and would dare to say – you are my FLAVE-LET (that is how I say it).

So my donut eatin’, fabulous sparkle girl – sing it! wear it! and fyi – you rock.

– Natasha

Natasha — June 2, 2013 @ 11:34 am

sorry for the type o’s – too much coffee ;)

Donna — June 2, 2013 @ 11:39 am

I have always been an outsider looking into all of my favorite bloggers (you included) and I never leave comments but after today – I just had to. I am a prolific writer and a baker whose fondest wish is to do what you do (including the cookbook) but I never even start the process cause computer programs of any kind make me want to hide and just the technicalities of figuring out HOW to do a blog scares me. Although I did write some stuff for Best Friends for Frosting and with some very detailed instructions I was able to do it. And I participated in The Cupcake Project and was one of the bakers that have found the Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake Recipe – not that either of those things gives me any credence to write a blog. As I say – I just sit on the outskirts looking in and love every minute of it. Anyway, your blog today is so much like me – I think we both tend to ramble a bit and you write what is on your mind and it just flows. Most importantly it is so fun for someone like me to read. So keep up the good work and I can’t wait til your cookbook comes out!

• Megan — June 4th, 2013 @ 9:32 am

If you want to get into blogging, Blogspot (sponsored by google) has an easy layout to help you get started.

and good luck, I think getting started is the hardest part! :)

LouAnn — June 2, 2013 @ 11:45 am

love the shoes and you will never ever be too old for them; I have been eating like crazy lately too–glad I am not alone-now I need to lose about 8 pounds
    love your posts

Lorretta — June 2, 2013 @ 12:17 pm

Seriously. I love you and that is all. Can’t wait to catch sight of that cook book replete with recipes and a side of bacon! I know you are my friend because you were gut honest about running…I feel the same way. Tried it; hated it. Back to aerobics, etc I go! Bless your little heart!

Rachel S — June 2, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

Can’t wait to see your cookbook! And did you know you could have returned the green juice at Whole Foods… even halfway into it? Their return policy is awesome. Could have returned the juice and got a chocolate milk instead. :)

Caroline — June 2, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

Hi Jessica,
    I have been a reader and lover of your blog for a very long time. Needless to say, your One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes for Two recipe is probably the second-most visited page on my computer (after Netflix of course)
    I am commenting to tell you about a new beauty find I have recently encountered. The Flake Away Body Polish by Soap and Glory is absolutely magical. It makes my legs so smooth and soft, and I think your readers would love to hear about it, if you end up feeling the same way I do.
    Well, that’s it for now! Thanks again!
    Caroline

Julie — June 2, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

I am so SO excited for this cookbook. Oh my goodness. I ADORE your recipes and your photos and your writing and pretty much everything about this blog. I can’t wait to have a lovely book to stare at! Let’s be real; I’m going to read it front to back as soon as i pick it up. Is actually reading cookbooks weird, like treating them as actual books? Maybe. Oh well. Congrats on the book and thanks for all the hard work you are putting into it and this blog! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Erin R. — June 2, 2013 @ 12:55 pm

Ha! Isn’t it weird being, you know, not 25 anymore? I’m 37 and had that same realization a few years ago that maybe I didn’t need to be wearing things with too much leg showing or otherwise dress like I did when I was a kid. It’s like the world stopped spinning for a second. Holy crap, I’m in my THIRTIES.

However, those diamond shoes of yours are Flipping Amazing and you do indeed need to wear them as often as possible. Have fun!

Oh, by the way, which Primanti’s sandwich did you get? It’s a goal of mine to eat there before I die.

emelreem — June 2, 2013 @ 1:16 pm

Hi Jessica!
    I, like many here, have been following your blog for while, and absolutely love it and your personality. I love my morning cup of coffee and my veggies, but I have to say that I had the same reaction when I tasted the Whole Foods green drink! It was absolutely horrible!
    Can’t wait to see what the title of your book will be, waiting anxiously!

nessa — June 2, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

So excited for the cookbook!

Amy H — June 2, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

I just have to join the chorus to thank and congratulate you! I totally can’t wait to buy the book! (I’m *sure* you’ll include the metric measurements for those of us who need it…and can’t do math.) @

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — June 2, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

We all really like you, too. I’m so excited for your book. I’m so glad you shared your green juice experience because I was seriously trying to talk myself into that nonsense after the sort of ridiculous bacon trend in my house. Now I know. Way to take one for the team.

Kristi — June 2, 2013 @ 5:33 pm

I think it’s great that you talk about other exercises besides running. I sometimes think that walking, or biking is also exercise and is good for you. Thanks for reminding me of that :)

Amber — June 2, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

You are my favorite blogger. I want to be you! lol You cook, you eat, you wear makeup, you exercise! Anyway, I sound a little stalker-y so I’ll move on…

Thank you for sharing your food and thoughts with everyone. My favorite of your recipes so far is the chicken cheese steaks in the oven…OMG LOVE

Diane {Created by Diane} — June 2, 2013 @ 6:17 pm

well that makes one of us that can down the cool people’s drink, me not there yet. Can’t wait to see your book! That is so fabulous :)

Katie Que — June 2, 2013 @ 6:39 pm

It makes me so happy when other people admit they hate running.

Vanessa — June 2, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

I am a LOOONG time reader, and I CANNOT wait to get my hands on your book(s)!!

Joanne — June 2, 2013 @ 8:51 pm

I love your recipes, and look forward to the cookbook.

Hannah — June 3, 2013 @ 1:26 am

OMG cook book! IM EXCITED!!! SO glad you are doing a cookbook and CANT WAIT for you to release it!

Katharine — June 3, 2013 @ 7:46 am

Could not love this post more. Congrats again and again and again! You know I think you’re a total a rockstar for seeing one of your dreams through. xo

P.S. I had a sandwich from Primanti Bros. when I was in Pittsburgh and almost died and went to heaven. I totally support that day full of teenage boy eats.

Lacy — June 3, 2013 @ 8:54 am

SPOTTED: ML on your desk, flanked by her favorite girls. So incredibly proud of you! Let’s shout it from the rooftops!!! xxoo

Ashley — June 3, 2013 @ 9:26 am

Essentially DONE???? AHHH!! Yesssss!!! Congrats, lady!!!! Hugs, hugs, hugs!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — June 3, 2013 @ 10:46 am

I think you know how i feel about this cookbook!!! Gahhhhhhhhh yessssssss!!!!!!

Annie @ Annie's Noms — June 3, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

So excited for your cookbook! And how strange, I just recently became a coffee drinker too, lol I hated the stuff, but apparently not so much any more! And I am with you on disgusting, green, vegetable juices. In fact most of the time I give vegetables a miss….. just no. Congrats again on the cookbook, can’t wait to get my copy!

Jackie — June 3, 2013 @ 1:40 pm

SO EXCITED! I love love love this post. You’re the best.

emily W. — June 3, 2013 @ 2:26 pm

AH! I’m stoked for your book!! yayexcitingstuff

Not all green juices are created equal. I like Odwalla, and my kids think of it as a treat because it’s so sweet (also because I treat it as such because juice doesn’t take up residence in my kitchen). On those days when all they’ve eaten is waffles for breakfast, fast food hotdogs somewhere for lunch, and pizza for dinner, some Pirate’s Booty green veggie puffs and some Odwalla Green Goodness juice go a long way to making this momma feel like slightly less than a complete failure in the nutrition department.

That said, try it in a smoothie-ish concoction maybe? Frozen banana, Brown Cow vanilla yogurt, and green juice.

GAH! A book from you!! Yayyayyay.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — June 3, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

JESSICA! I heard through the internet-vine that you were coming out with a cookbook… Well I’m SOsosososo glad that it’s true! You deserve it girl! I’m so excited for you and I just know it’s going to be perfect!

Congrats… OH, and I’d be more than happy to hop a plane and help you organize. I’ll bring the wine :)

Randilea — June 3, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

I am so excited you’re putting out a cookbook! CONGRATS! This invisible internet friend is pumped and will buy immediately once it’s out.

Megly — June 3, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

Can’t WAIT for your cookbook! And your fiction novel, too?! That’s so awesome. It’s my dream to write chick lit of my own. I’m excited to read yours! As for green juice, I like Green Goodness by Bolthouse Farms. Might not be suitable as a meal replacement (for me anyway ;) but it tastes fruity and tart. mmm

dervla @ The Curator — June 3, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

Wow, Jess, congrats on finishing (or almost finishing the book) … now CELEBRATE!! Oh, and clean your house (or get your hub to clean it). :))))

JulieD — June 4, 2013 @ 7:09 pm

yay! you’re amazing! and I miss you!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — June 4, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

ahh I cannot wait for your cookbook! (Like everyone else, clearly!) I generally don’t buy them because there are recipes EVERYWHERE nowadays, but I can’t WAIT to get yours! Congrats girl! P.s. Welcome to the coffee club! :)

Val — June 5, 2013 @ 11:33 am

I would have trapped the centipede under a container with something heavy on top to make my husband “dispose” of it the next morning. I can’t handle the crunching sound of killing bugs/spiders, and I wouldn’t have been able to handle the legs falling off!

Barbara — June 5, 2013 @ 10:20 pm

Soo happy to hear about the book! I’d pre-order it today if I could! I’ve honestly thought of that before – that you should write a book. It’s a no-brainer! You totally deserve it! Congratulations!

Whitney — June 6, 2013 @ 9:37 pm

So excited! I always hoped you would write a cook book… maybe with a sparkly cover? And how do I learn to like coffee so I can be cool too? I only tolerate it with lots oh chocolate and cream…

Yankee Kitchen Ninja — November 14, 2013 @ 11:53 am

Awesome news about the cookbook — looking forward to it. And I love that you styled your home office photo with craft scissors you don’t use: a blogger’s work is never done. ;-)

1. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is