holiday gift guide: homemade DIY presents I howsweeteats.com

Moving right along!

I think we all know that I’m not the craftiest person, and for that reason I don’t do many homemade gifts. It’s probably because I have the patience of a two year old but I’d like to change that. Below are some of my favorite homemade gift ideas from around the internets (!) and I look at them as a guide for ideas. Many of these things exist other places, it’s just a matter of discovering the concept and making it your own. Or using Mr. Google.

I know you probably have tons of your own ideas, so offer them up!

1. Booze! Last year, my cousin and I made both homemade amaretto and candy cane vodka. We absolutely loved it and so did everyone who received it. We’re doing it again this year too. You can also try your hand at limoncello and homemade irish cream liqueur, aka Baileys.

2. A little succulent garden – whatever size you’d like. SO cute.

3. On the same note as booze, homemade cocktail bitters. I shared on instagram that I have my own bitters going right now and will give you the “recipes” (i.e. my method and combinations) in another week or so. So excited about these!

4. Paint dipped brass candlesticks. I think these are super unique and adorable. Tons of ways this could work.

5. Big old platters with cookies. We take one of these wherever we go during the holidays – my husband actually stacks and decorates the plates with the goods. They are a fun and appreciated gift.

6. Nut butters or coconut butter. The options are endless here, there are a million recipes out on the internets – find a cute jar and make it happen.

7. DIY shoe clips. Oh my gosh. Mind = blown. You know I love me some sparkly things. These are such perfect girlfriend gifts!

8. Face masks! I am a bit partial to this chocolate one and this oatmeal chocolate version. I wonder why?

9. A festive burlap table runner. I love the metallics but just think – you could even do neon. (I KNOW.)

10. Homemade granola in some seriously cute packaging.

11. A DIY gold polka dot vase. This might be my favorite and I’m going to make it happen.

12. Homemade whole grain pancake mix. Happy breakfasts all around.

13. These painted ornaments. Those colors sold me, but you can do whatever you’d like.

14. Homemade body butter. This is the coolest thing ever.

15. Gold dipped ornaments. So many ideas here! More neon, obviously.

16. Vanilla extract or vanilla salt. You can do the same and make vanilla sugar. Oh yes.

17. Little tins of chocolate bark. Hundreds of ways to make them – add whatever you want.

18. Little jars of homemade spice. Perfect for the season, but you could also throw together BBQ rubs and what not.

19. DIY striped chairs. I love this idea and you can customize to just about anything – the chair and the colors.

20. Infused oils. I’ve made roasted garlic oil before, but again, the options are endless! Fruits, herbs, vegetables – everything under the sun.

21. Homemade lip balm. I’d probably be tempted to eat it… but you know.

22. Homemade lip scrubs. OMG… the flavors.

23. And homemade body scrubs. I made the chocolate coconut one, but you can do chocolate mint, tangerine or even something like lavender.

24. Homemade caramels. Wrap these up in cute little paper and you’ve got the most addicting gift.

25. Hot chocolate mix with vanilla marshmallows. Best gift to get.

26. DIY rosewater spray. So fancy.

27. Big ass jars of homemade cookie mix. Everyone loves these, right?

28. DIY ice cream cups and packaging. I think this would be the cutest surprise ever since most people wouldn’t expect it. Love it.

29. Homemade chocolate raspberry jam. Say what?

30. Lavender lotion bars. These are absolutely gorgeous.

31. Homemade popcorn, packaged up all cute. You could even buy one of those pretty little tins, line it with some parchment and do your own thang.

32. Embellished bobby pins. I love this idea and might just do it for myself.

33. Candied citrus peel. This is also something we made last year and are planning on it again. Seriously so delicious. People went crazzzzzy over these.

30 Responses to “Holiday Gift Guide: 33 DIY Homemade Presents.”

Alysa (InspiredRD) — November 22, 2013 @ 5:25 pm

So fun! I go back and forth with DIY for Christmas. Some years I’m all MUST MAKE ALL THE THINGS! This year I’m so not in the mood for some reason. Love these ideas though :) I’ll be looking for my candy cane vodka in the mail (you have my address, right?) ;)

Ellie — November 22, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

This is my favorite Holiday Gift Guide ever!!! I’m already making your DIY chocolate scrub for holiday gifts this year and now I have even more ideas.

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — November 22, 2013 @ 5:48 pm

Awesome! Some great ideas in here!

Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen — November 22, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

This is quite possibly the most comprehensive list of DIY gifts ever. My mind is racing with everything I want to make! Body Butter is top of the list. LOVE IT.

Becky @ A Calculated Whisk — November 22, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

I JUST posted vanilla salt & vanilla sugar! Love it sooo much. I used fabric to make the jars look cute for gifting: http://www.acalculatedwhisk.com/2013/11/homemade-vanilla-sugar-vanilla-salt.html

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — November 22, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

This list makes me feel even MORE uncrafty–the cutest thing I’ve ever done as a homemade gift is make peppermint bark. But these ideas are the best, might just have to do a lot of these! Some of them would make incredible stocking stuffers too.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — November 22, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

Chocolate raspberry jam? Homemade marshmallows? Heaven!

cindy — November 22, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

I am so intrigued by the bitters! and I love, love sugar scrubs for lips. So many great ideas and thanks for the luv!

Tara @ Suburble — November 23, 2013 @ 1:21 am

Thank you so much for including a link to my gold-dipped ornaments. Neon would be super rad.

And also, unless you have two sites, some horrible person has scraped this entire article and called it theirs. http://pinmeplease.com/2013/11/23/holiday-gift-guide-33-diy-homemade-presents/

You might want to report them. :(

Dayna — November 23, 2013 @ 3:38 am

So many good ideas!! I’m putting together little themed gift baskets for my friends this year, and I can see a lot of these fitting right into the themes I’ve chosen!!

Becks — November 23, 2013 @ 7:15 am

Oh wow, so many perfect ideas! I can’t wait to make these!
    xo

Laura — November 23, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

LOVE your gift guides…keep them coming for other holidays as well! (Valentine’s, good anniversary gifts, etc.)

Barbara | Creative Culinary — November 23, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

Love some great new ideas; I making a body scrub this year!

I make all of my holiday gifts and two of the most popular ones have been:

Wood Butter (a wood conditioner for butcher block and kitchen tools – http://www.creative-culinary.com/wood-butter-helps-renew-wood-utensils-and-bowls/ and

Cranberry Liqueur – So pretty on top of being wonderful with champagne or as a sauce for ice cream – http://www.creative-culinary.com/cranberry-liqueur/

Emily @ Life on Food — November 23, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

Homemade gifts are the best. I love to make them and receive. This is such a fun list. I wish I could take the next month off just to have fun with this list.

Liz — November 24, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Love these gift guides! Since I’m on a tighter budget this year, I’ll definitely be doing some of these … I’m thinking nicely wrapped-up chocolate bark and candied orange peels.

I also really like homemade epson salt bath mixes for girlfriends. If you don’t want to get messy with adding oils, you can toss in whole lavender pieces or dried rose petals.

Tracey — November 24, 2013 @ 9:35 pm

I have been loving all of your gift guides so much! My mom has been pestering me to get going on my Christmas list, and I finally have now thanks to your lists :) Thanks for including my pancake mix on this one!

Jay B. — November 25, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

Big ass jar of homemade cookies is my top. I love the ideas. I have to be careful when it comes to homemade amaretto although I doubt I will resist. Thanks for sharing.

Colleen — November 26, 2013 @ 10:15 am

Jessica, you lifesaver. This is exactly what I need for this year! (Doing Christmas on a budget.) Thank you.

Sarah — November 26, 2013 @ 11:02 am

I love this list! I usually make apple pie moonshine and everyone loves it! I might have to swap it out for candy cane vodka this year though!

• Sarah — November 26th, 2013 @ 11:03 am

I wonder how that candy cane vodka recipe would taste with vanilla vodka?

• Jessica — November 27th, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

we made it with whipped cream vodka last year – awesome!

Ulrike — November 29, 2013 @ 5:38 am

Wow, I love this ideas. The Candy Cane Vodka sounds like a perfect chrismas gift!
    I have a question… There are two sizes of Candy Canes, wich one do I have to use? The 13 cm ( ~ 5 inch) or 17,5 cm ( ~ 7 inch)?

Rachel (teacher-chef) — December 4, 2013 @ 10:53 pm

What a great list, I love all of these ideas!! Don’t forget about our furry friends though… http://www.teacher-chef.com/2013/12/03/dog-bones-and-a-giveaway/

Caitlin — December 5, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

DIY shoe clips are GENIUS. Just did a trial run and they look great and were soo easy to do. Thank you for the idea!

1. Pingback: It’s the Linkin’ Weekend