Bring on the pork.

Pulled Pork Pizza with Maple Leeks, Roasted Garlic and Aged Cheddar I

Isn’t it good luck to eat pork to ring in the new year? I think it is. I’m game for pork all the time but if it’s gonna make me lucky, give me the pig times one million.

Oh and since I like to make things as trashy as possible, we’re consuming it in pizza form. Because that’s normal.

People. Something is happening.

Something weird.

It seems as if… I’m slightly losing my sweet tooth. I’m distraught and confused and pretty much like WHAT. I’ve been known to have the sweetest teeth ever (comes from my mom’s side) and could survive alone on something of the chocolate variety.  But now? Things are… weird.

Pulled Pork Pizza with Maple Leeks, Roasted Garlic and Aged Cheddar I

I made tons of cookies for the holidays and didn’t touch any for nearly a week. And no, it doesn’t have to do with me just being around them too much – heck, I pretty much cook for a living and am around everything all the time. It’s never been this severe in years past. I would wake up, work out, have breakfast and have a cookie. Like clockwork. It’s the holidays after all.

Now? I’m just not interested. I’d rather have eggs and bacon or cheese or toast or, or… or… I just don’t even know me anymore.

Don’t get me wrong: I still want something sweet after dinner and whatnot. It’s just not as prevalent as before and I’m losing it.

Basically, it’s like I kind of have self-control now? Without needing to control it? Maybe this is what’s called GROWING UP.  Maybe.

Pulled Pork Pizza with Maple Leeks, Roasted Garlic and Aged Cheddar I

If you’re feeling this pizza like I’m feeling this pizza, you may already have some pork on hand. It’s the type of pizza to make with your leftover pulled pork, but if you’re looking for one to start with, I used this recipe and shredded the heck out of it.  The rest of it would be in my freezer so we can chow down over the next few days, because when you eat in food blog time, you eat like at least two weeks ahead. So it’s sort of real life but not really real life. Real life sped up.

I also added a little drizzle of BBQ sauce because pork plus cheddar just seems to cry out for sauce. It’s like a sandwich on a pizza!

A good one.

1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 head roasted garlic
1 cup (leftover) pulled pork
4 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
6 ounces aged cheddar cheese, freshly grated
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce, for drizzling

In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add in 2 cups flour and salt, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work in the additional 2/3 cup flour, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1-1 1/2 hours.

Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the olive oil. Add the leeks, salt and pepper, stirring to coat. Cook untiled softened, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup and cook for another minute. Turn off the heat.

Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of the bulb and mashed them with a fork. Combine them in a bowl with the pulled pork and toss well to coat, until the mashed cloves are evenly distributed.

After the dough has risen, punch it down and place it back on the floured surface. Using a rolling pin or your hands, form it into your desired shape (sometimes I use baking sheets and do rectangles or free form pizzas - this specific dough will yield one pizza large enough to feed about 3-4 people) and place on a baking sheet or pizza peel. Place the towel back over the dough and let sit in the warm place for 10 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (or if you're using a pizza stone or the skillet method, follow these directions). Cover the dough with the fontina cheese, then layer on the leeks and the pork. Add the cheddar on top evenly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Drizzle the pizza with BBQ sauce before or after slicing and serve.

Pulled Pork Pizza with Maple Leeks, Roasted Garlic and Aged Cheddar I

You could also eat this combo on a pretzel roll. Just sayin’.

52 Responses to “Pulled Pork Pizza with Maple Leeks, Roasted Garlic and Aged Cheddar.”

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness — December 30, 2013 @ 7:53 am

Oh my goshhhhhhhh girl! I just made a huge crockpot of pulled pork and have been putting it ev-ery-thang to try to use it up! There may have been some pulled pork waffle-age the other day.
    This pizza. I need it. 5 minutes ago. The maple….the leeks…the cheese goodness. dying.

Tracy | Peanut Butter And Onion — December 30, 2013 @ 8:02 am

You are a pizza god… you and Bev! I wish I had that self control, I may have eaten most of my own cookies!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — December 30, 2013 @ 8:11 am

My mind cannot even comprehend how delicious this sounds. Done, I’m making this tonight!

Brie @ Entrée the Giant — December 30, 2013 @ 8:52 am

I’ve been saying the same thing about my sweet tooth…it seems to be betraying me lately. The only thing getting me through is salted caramel anything. Salty/sweet combo to a transition of life without dessert…? It makes sense in my mind..

Laura — December 30, 2013 @ 8:57 am

oh my goodness. I love pulled pork but would never have thought of putting it on pizza. How silly of me. This is definitely going to be tried now!

Tieghan — December 30, 2013 @ 9:35 am

Pulled pork is such a great idea! I have a ton of family in town and it would feed a crown and then I could make this pizza! Yes!

Pretend Chef — December 30, 2013 @ 9:54 am

Oh my! This flavor combination sounds amazing. I must try this.

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor — December 30, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Ugh, I need to make this soon! Love pulled pork and pizza makes it even better!

Belinda@themoonblushbaker — December 30, 2013 @ 10:15 am

I might not have pork on hand but I definitely have turkey and ham. The maple leeks are making my mouth water.I am think caramel onion flavor but Better!
    You are pizza goddess!

samantha — December 30, 2013 @ 10:34 am

Your taste buds change every seven years. So maybe it’s been seven years for you already? And sadly enough, this will not be a recipe I’ll be making any time soon. I’ve made a slew of your recipes from this blog, but I honest to God can’t stand pork/pork chops. To me, you just can’t make it flavorful or moist enough to be worth making or eating.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — December 30, 2013 @ 11:28 am

I’ve been very non-sweet things this holiday season too. I got a ridiculous amount of candy (my favorite kind!) in my stocking and I’m really not craving it…at least yet.

I need to make more fun pizzas like this! Obsessed with leeks.

Sini | my blue&white kitchen — December 30, 2013 @ 11:30 am

Pulled pork on pizza? Yes, yes, yes.

Kerry — December 30, 2013 @ 11:39 am

You kill me every time with your pizza flavor combos!! Love it. This looks amazing!

francine — December 30, 2013 @ 11:45 am

that looks smashing!! {i never use the word smashing, but since my keyboard offered it up i thought I’d go with the flow, lol}. also if we were real life friends and you announced something like that, our group if friends would immediately think you were preggers, because all of my friends are having babies these days, haha. ps. thank you for all your amazing recipes! they’ve given me more courage in the kitchen!!!

Kylie — December 30, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

I can’t even! Bacon is so lucky to have pulled pork as its first cousin! Yum Pulled Pork and Leeks on everything please. KTHANKSBYE.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — December 30, 2013 @ 2:17 pm

What a great looking pizza and layers of flavor from the garlic to the maple leeks! I bet this would be a huge hit at parties!

Happy Valley Chow — December 30, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

That pizza sounds amazing! Definitely need to try this :)

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

Layla @ Brunch Time Baker — December 30, 2013 @ 2:23 pm

What a wonderful pizza, packed with flavor. Love the roasted garlic and maple leeks! Looks delicious!

Lauren Powell — December 30, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

YUMMMM!!! Love coming up with alternative pizza toppings!

Larry — December 30, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

FML the only things I’ve had to eat today have been a cookie and a mini candy cane. I would DEVOUR this pizza in 2.54 seconds.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — December 30, 2013 @ 5:21 pm

Wow, this sounds crazy good.

Mariah and Coty@quirksandtwists — December 30, 2013 @ 7:00 pm

Oh, does this pizza need to be made and consumed pronto!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — December 30, 2013 @ 9:58 pm

I want it!!!
    Omg I realized that I made a TON of cookies for gifts and for the Christmas dinners we went to…didn’t eat a single one. Weird. So weird.

Linda D — December 31, 2013 @ 12:16 am

Just read your post about your fails. My spouse is snoozing beside me while I am reading on my iPad, and I am laughing so hard I am shaking the bed! I will have to read the whole thing tomorrow so I don’t wake him up with my guffawing! I think I will have to follow your blog to see what else you cook, whether edible or dubious! I was remembering a pumpkin cheesecake recipe with a crumb topping that I tried, and had to dump $10 worth of ingredients in the trash because the resulting mess looked like it would attack my family!

Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes — December 31, 2013 @ 9:58 am

This sounds amazing! BBQ Chicken Pizza is one of my absolute favorite pizzas, now I totally want to try it with pork!

ATasteOfMadness — December 31, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

Losing your sweet tooth? Whaaat?
    Actually, looking at this pizza makes me forget I even had a sweet tooth, and makes me crave this all the time. This looks great!

Maria — December 31, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

This makes me want pizza for dinner tonight. Pinned this one for sure!

Alyssa — December 31, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

My boyfriend and I had pulled pork quesadillas at a bar once and they were literally the most amazing bar food ever. Since then, we’ve recreated them at home with leftover pork… pork, carbs, and cheddar cheese? Tons of flavor. Literally nothing better. And with BBQ sauce?? Finger-licking good.
    I might – no, definitely – have to do this too. YUM..

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — December 31, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

What a amazing pizza, this would cause giant cheers at our dinner table!

Emily @ Life on Food — January 1, 2014 @ 4:03 pm

I was in Florida over Christmas and had BBQ three times. I couldn’t get enough. Connecticut has no clue about good BBQ. Cannot wait to whip this up.

Menu Geek — May 4, 2014 @ 7:04 pm

You are hands down the best food blogger ever – great recipes, hilarious writing style, you’re my absolute favorite:)

Matt Smith — July 4, 2015 @ 10:24 am

Made this last night and it was SO good. We used only 1 leek instead of two and found that to be enough. Also, accidentally omitted the maple syrup, but the BBQ sauce had enough sweetness to it that we think the syrup would have made the pizza too sweet. Still, this was a wonderful blend of flavors and a great way to use up some leftover pork from a recent barbecue. I don’t think I would have ever combined the pork and leeks on my own. Thanks for sharing!

1. Pingback: Weekly Links #1 | foodiEcology

2. Pingback: Bean Bytes 71

3. Pingback: Warm Broccoli Salad with Tangy Vinaigrette | Your Kind of Salad

4. Pingback: 12 Times Pulled Pork Saved The Day (RECIPES) - Claire Ann Peetz Blog

5. Pingback: Society South | Second Act

6. Pingback: culture: the word on cheese

7. Pingback: 18 Delicious Dinners To Make With Slow Cooker Pulled Pork :

8. Pingback: 18 Delicious Dinners To Make With Slow Cooker Pulled Pork | Monthly Recipes

9. Pingback: 18 Delicious Dinners To Make With Slow Cooker Pulled Pork : Grandmas Cooking

10. Pingback: 18 Delicious Dinners To Make With Slow Cooker Pulled Pork | All Gossip News

11. Pingback: 18 Delicious Dinners To Make With Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

12. Pingback: 18 Delicious Dinners To Make With Slow Cooker Pulled Pork |

13. Pingback: 18 Delicious Dinners To Make With Slow Cooker Pulled Pork | SaltyPepper

14. Pingback: 18 Delicious Dinners To Make With Slow Cooker Pulled Pork | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

15. Pingback: 18 Delicious Dinners To Make With Slow Cooker Pulled Pork | Book notes for you

16. Pingback: 18 Delicious Dinners To Make With Slow Cooker Pulled Pork | LUYOL

17. Pingback: Pulled Pork Tostadas. | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: Pulled Pork Pizza With Maple Leeks, Roasted Garlic And Aged Cheddar | Dinners Done Right Eugene/Springfield

19. Pingback: Pulled Pork Pizza with Cauliflower Crust