Today we’re turning dinner into dip!

chicken enchilada dip I

You guys. My love for buffalo chicken dip may be overtaken now by chicken enchilada dip. I cannot get enough.

And it happened by accident.

You know we make enchiladas, like, once at week. More often than not, I’m a little overzealous with prepping the chicken filling and always end up with too much – which is rarely a prob considering I live with a human garbage disposal. (Which is also fantastic when it comes to food consuming purposes.) BUT. This time, before he got his hands on it? I trashed it up with cream cheese and a boatload of monterey jack and white cheddar and feelings. Lots of feelings.

chicken enchilada dip I

This is perhaps one of the most unphotogenic dips I’ve ever made but I’ve been on pins and needles about sharing it’s deliciousness. We made this for the first time during the playoffs a few Sundays back and it turned out to be our dinner. So even though we made dip from dinner… dinner turned into dip that night.

Confusing, I know. Life is hard.

Never did I ever think this would happen, but the little layer of veggies on top totally make the dip for me. Sure, the “meat” of the dip is delicious – all cheesy and gooey and the perfect blanket for a crispy, salty tortilla chip.

But when you add the shredded lettuce (preference: butter lettuce), cherry tomatoes, cilantro and sliced green onions, it adds a freshness and texture that isn’t often found in dips. It’s kind of like that old-school seven layer taco dip, but warm and melty and filled with more cheese than anyone could dream.

chicken enchilada dip I

If you really want to question your sanity, you can wrap some of this up INSIDE A TORTILLA and eat it like that. Maybe make some real enchiladas out of enchilada dip. Maybe make an enchilada quesadilla. Maybe give yourself a big fat and cheesy enchilada hug. The best kind.

If dip is your thing this weekend and you need football food, you can also try this bbq chicken dip or white pizza dip. This cheddar blueberry dip (as well as this toasted almond parmesan dip) is not for the weak but both are some of my favorite apps of all time. Or you can be boring (the good kind of boring) and make this cheesy roasted red pepper dip or this kicked up spinach dip. I think I’m going with the last one.

All this dip stuff reminds me of how when I first started dating my husband, we would… actually eat buffalo chicken dip for dinner. Not by accident. Like I would make some for our real dinner and we’d eat it with crackers or whatever. Maybe carrots (not me). Was that a real thing?

I’m jealous of my early twenties self.

chicken enchilada dip I

1/2 cup enchilada sauce
1 cup freshly chopped butter lettuce
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
4 green onions, sliced
tortilla chips for serving

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking dish (8x8, 8-inch round, etc) with nonstick spray.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the cream cheese and about 3/4 of the cheese. Beat on medium speed until creamy and combined. Use a large spoon and stir in the chicken, paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Once it's combined, stir in the garlic, green chiles and enchilada sauce until mixed. Spread the dip into the baking dish and cover with the remaining cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbly.

Remove the dip from the oven and cover it with the shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro and green onion. Serve immediately.

chicken enchilada dip I

I could never live without this cheese.

56 Responses to “Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Dip.”

Belinda@themoonblushbaker — January 30, 2014 @ 7:53 am

You had me at cheese dip. I am ready to divine into a bowl of this for dinner and because it has salad, it is totally passable for a dinner time meal. *At least in my head*

Kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox — January 30, 2014 @ 8:03 am

Dip for dinner is never a bad idea. It should be mandatory like once a week….like meatless Monday. Skip the chicken and there’s your Monday meal!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 30, 2014 @ 8:04 am

Holy moly that looks amazing! I want it now! I posted a skinny cheesy recipe today but forget all that, I want this :) pinned!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — January 30, 2014 @ 8:15 am

Perfect football food! Does your husband workout a lot? Because seriously, he must be 500 lbs if he doesn’t, right? Or is he just one of those guys who can eat and eat and never gain a pound? I know I’d be in trouble if I lived with you and all the fabulous creations that come out of your kitchen!

Madison — January 30, 2014 @ 8:24 am

I am definitely in love with eating appetizer foods for dinner. One of my favorite things is to just have wine, cheese, bread and a dip of sorts for dinner. I’m sure it’s more calories but hey: that’s life! :)

p.s. this recipe looks bangin!

Tracy | Peanut Butter And Onion — January 30, 2014 @ 8:37 am

Ya for chicken enchilada dip…. I could eat this for dinner… and I think I might.

Rachel Cooks — January 30, 2014 @ 8:46 am

Is it weird that I want this for breakfast?

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — January 30, 2014 @ 8:58 am

Oh man, all that cheese is making me so hungry. And I have to say, I know you said you don’t think this is a photogenic dip, but you made it look really, REALLY good.

I totally spaced last night and forgot to make the chia pudding! It is happening tonight for breakfast tomorrow.

Alicia Greenrabbit — January 30, 2014 @ 8:58 am

As my 92 yo grandmother always said”moderation,moderation,moderation.
    Yes you can eat the cheesy dip ,but balance it with the veggies and a good dark beer! Ha,ha!
    She also drove race cars and smoked over 70 years!
    Hurray for Superbowl food!

Brie @ Entrée the Giant — January 30, 2014 @ 9:02 am

I did something along the same lines today :)

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — January 30, 2014 @ 9:02 am

There is nothing un-photogenic about that dip! It looks glorious. I adore buffalo chicken dip (it’s a weekly occurrence in our house – sometimes for dinner!), but this looks like an excellent departure. LOVE anything enchilada related, so this works for me.

Kate Woods — January 30, 2014 @ 9:25 am

Definitely making this on Sunday and also definitely making your BBQ chicken dip, one can never have enough dip in my opinion! So I usually like to make enchilada sauce when I have the time, but can you recommend a good store bought enchilada sauce for times when I don’t have time to make it homemade? ( eh hem like this Sunday) Thanks! :)

• Jessica — January 30th, 2014 @ 3:33 pm

before i started making my own, i’d use old el paso. there might be a better one – but that’s the only one i could find in my grocery store!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 30, 2014 @ 9:41 am

This is such a happy accident! lol Looks amazing!!!!

Shaina — January 30, 2014 @ 9:43 am

Omg that looks so good, I want to eat it off the screen!!!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — January 30, 2014 @ 9:47 am

Fist pump for dinner dip! We’re having a game watch Sunday and I have zero intention to cook “real food.” Everyone’s been instructed to bring a dip, and we will feast. I figure, since the apps tend to be the faves at a party anyway, let’s own it and dip out.

Tieghan Gerard — January 30, 2014 @ 9:58 am

Dip for dinner in normal. No really, I do it all the time because if you are going to make and app why only eat a few bites and then eat a different dinner? That just does not make sense, so dip for dinner it is! Love the spicy cheese!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 30, 2014 @ 10:07 am

First of all this dip looks amazing! Secondly… I’m so doing this dip for dinner thing! Genius… pure genius.

Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health — January 30, 2014 @ 10:24 am

lol you are so funny… and this looks SO good! Speaking of Buffalo Chicken, I made a Buffalo Chicken Pasta last week that was delish!! You just cant go wrong with chicken and cheese anything.

Lindsay — January 30, 2014 @ 10:41 am

I literally just scrambled through my kitchen, yup at 10am, to see if I had all these ingredients…all i need is the enchilada sauce which obviously I’ll be stopping by the store for today because this dip needs to be in my house ASAP! xox

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — January 30, 2014 @ 10:41 am

just made buffalo chicken enchiladas the other day so I am feeling this hardcore!!

Kim in MD — January 30, 2014 @ 11:13 am

This is football food perfection! This will be on my Super Bowl menu for sure. Thanks, Jessica! Oh- and don’t feel bad that this used to be dinner when you were first married…I did that, too! To be honest, sometimes I still do appetizer dinners on Friday or Saturday nights for my family…they love it!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — January 30, 2014 @ 11:44 am

What yummy. cheesey goodness! I think this is a great dinner recipe!

Jenna — January 30, 2014 @ 11:58 am

Swoon!!!!! This sounds incredible!!!!

Joylynn — January 30, 2014 @ 1:29 pm

We’ve totally had buffalo chicken dip for dinner and I’m not ashamed….

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — January 30, 2014 @ 3:18 pm

omg this looks so good — perfect timing for Superbowl parties!

Larry — January 30, 2014 @ 4:42 pm

WHAT DA FUUUUUUUUUQ?! This looks so amazing that I wanna face plant in it and just like, swim in it. Do a backstroke that deliciousness.

Eileen — January 30, 2014 @ 4:51 pm

He, there’s nothing wrong with dip for dinner every once in a while! Especially with some carrots on the side. Super easy and super delicious–it sounds like a big win in my book. :)

Lauren — January 30, 2014 @ 5:05 pm

THANK YOU for making the “which dip should I make for Superbowl Sunday?” decision a very easy one for me. You saved me from drowning in endless pins (not that there’s anything wrong with that;) searching for “the one”- this is IT. You rock, Jess!

Happy Valley Chow — January 30, 2014 @ 6:58 pm

*Droool* I want this in my belly! I should not be looking at this around dinner time…you’re making me hungry!

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

Mariah and Coty@quirksandtwists — January 30, 2014 @ 7:19 pm

I can get on board for this. Enchilada dip sounds amazing!

Kerr — January 30, 2014 @ 9:03 pm

It’s like my dreams came true in dip form!

Pretend Chef — January 30, 2014 @ 9:18 pm

This dip sounds amazing!

Justine Kaitlyn @prettyinpistachio — January 30, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

Delicious! & perfect for the Super Bowl!

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living — January 31, 2014 @ 3:31 pm

I love this recipe! I’m also a fan of Tex-Mex food. I eat enchiladas, burritos, and tostadas almost every day it seems. Anyway, thanks for sharing this– I can’t wait to try it!

Deirdre — January 31, 2014 @ 6:44 pm

Ha! I had Joy the Baker’s Avocado Hummus for dinner today with taste tortilla wraps.

Love it

Sarah — February 1, 2014 @ 6:54 pm

This is so gross, but I completely ruined the chicken that I got to make this and I am wondering if the canned chicken will work for this recipe in a pinch. I am embarrassed of myself that I have to ask. But I don’t have time to get to the store before super bowl time tomorrow. AH!

• Jessica — February 1st, 2014 @ 7:19 pm

yes definitely!!

ATasteOfMadness — February 2, 2014 @ 3:03 am

This looks delicious! I don’t make nearly enough dips!

Beth Mcgarry — February 2, 2014 @ 9:44 am

I am making this today for the Super Bowl! Can’t wait to dig in, I have everyone excited to try it. Thanks for the idea….

Jenn — February 2, 2014 @ 11:17 am

Ha! when i read this post i had to re-read it to my hubby…WE eat buffalo chicken dip for dinner!!! He said it’s no worse than eating cake for breakfast! :)

Bethan — February 2, 2014 @ 7:08 pm

Hello! I set about making this dip as soon as I saw this post the other day, happened to have everything to make it except enchilada sauce but that’s easy. Anyway when I baked it a lot if the oil from the cheese separated out and was floating on top which was rather unappetizing. Dip tasted great otherwise but might you have any tips as to how to keep the oil from separating from the cheese?? Thanks!

Pat — February 2, 2014 @ 11:16 pm

Need it now!! Can’t wait to try it.

Jennie @themessybakerblog — February 3, 2014 @ 3:51 pm

I love happy accidents. Enchiladas need to start happening at my place once a week. This dip looks deliciously cheesy.

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — February 5, 2014 @ 7:06 pm

OMG! That dip should be labeled a dangerous drug. Remember some feel and I am one those ‘somes’—There are no accidents in the Universe.

wendy@chezchloe — February 22, 2014 @ 9:41 pm

The photos worked for me. The filling is the best part and now we can call it Gluten Free:) yum

Elizebeth — May 21, 2014 @ 12:38 pm

Ooey, gooey yumminess in a bowl! Pass the tortilla chips pleeeeaase!

Nikia — August 31, 2014 @ 10:46 pm

Made this a while ago and I still have people talking about it. This was SOOOO yummy! Definitely a new favorite recipe.

Carrie — October 26, 2014 @ 1:47 pm

I made this last night and was really looking forward to it, but it didn’t turn out well. None of my guests seemed to care for it. It doesn’t even look like yours. I just checked the recipe to be sure I followed it correctly and I did. Strange because the color of yours is barely orange and mine was bright orange-reddish. Yours doesn’t appear to have the enchilada sauce, only the spices. Mine was so strong – too much spice. I do love the spices it calls for but I think it was just too much for us with the enchilada sauce. Also, the cheese baked on top made it so rubbery that it was very difficult to get the dip even with a spoon. Hoping to find a way to salvage this today since I spend a lot on the ingredients.

• Jen — April 23rd, 2015 @ 4:31 am

I made Jessica’s enchilada sauce and it turned out the same colour has hers – a light orange. Also, did you use full-fat ingredients? I find that low fat products make everything sad and rubbery and plasticky.

Just wondering, because I made this last night and it’s so delicious it scares me.

Jen — April 23, 2015 @ 4:28 am

SO. I made this last night – I had it without any chippies as I’m eating high fat/low carb, and I wrapped it up into tortillas with MORE enchilada sauce/cheese on top for my husband.

This is. I can’t even put into words how good this is. I’m eating the leftover dip like chili for lunch and JFC, it’s so good. My husband actually called it “a masterpiece”. Thanks Jessica!

1. Pingback: Thursday’s Thoughts- | kml image works