OMG I’m on a tart bender and I cannot stop. I know. It’s bad.

black plum tarts with brown butter and sea salt I

Has pregnancy made me boring? Like boring-er than usual?

I promise this is the last one. No really. The last, last one.

I’ve shoved tarts in your face for weeks what with this heirloom tomato and feta tart and these beet and goat cheese tarts and now these plum tarts and I might have even made another tart that I don’t remember. Oh! This ginger peach galette which is kinda like… a giant tart. Sort of.

I’m about thirty seconds away from making a chocolate fudge and pistachio tart but I won’t do that to you. I might do it to me. But not to you.

Anyhoo, I solemnly swear that this is the LAST ONE. Again. (but I might have gone a little buck wild with plums lately so you may see more of those. Oops.)

black plum tarts with brown butter and sea salt I

I just love these SO much. I got the idea in last month’s issue of Bon Appetit and was sold 1. because I love puff pastry so much that I could bake a sheet and eat it plain but really 2. because these are embarrassingly simple. Um. Puff pastry. Plums. Brown butter. Maybe a little sugar if you want. Some sea salt.

I’m actually not sure of another dessert that is so easy but seems slightly complicated. I guess you could make your own puff pastry. If you’re into that sort of thing. It’s almost like eating fruit for dessert but it’s SO MUCH BETTER than that. Because we know that plain fruit is not dessert. Never ever. At least not legit dessert. It’s fruit. It’s not dessert. It’s quite frankly just an extension of your meal.

black plum tarts with brown butter and sea salt I

So yep, this is the last slightly boring but really easy and fantastic dessert I will give you for a while. From here on out everything might be intensely chocolate covered and bacon wrapped (hint hint) because I’m in that mode. But! Let’s just say that this little treat would be perfect for Labor Day parties, because you can make a gigantic pan and watch while everybody goes to town. Or you can choose something from THIS LIST. Yeeeaaassss. Do it.

Wait a minute. Since when do I like pastry things? Life is so weird right now.

black plum tarts with brown butter & sea salt I

Black Plum Tarts with Brown Butter and Sea Salt

Yield: serves 4

Total Time: 35 minutes

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, beaten
3 black plums, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter, browned
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the puff pastry sheet on a nonstick baking sheet. Brush the pastry with the egg wash.

Slice the plums into even slices and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle the sugar over top and stir. Let sit for 5 minutes. Place the plums in clusters of 3 or 4 on the tars - you want to do them in a tic-tac-toe shape on the pastry so it's easy to cut once baked. Drizzle a bit of the brown butter over top.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the pastry is puffed and golden. Once finishing, drizzle the remaining brown butter over top and sprinkle the plums with sea salt. Slice into squares and serve immediately.

[inspired by bon appetit]

black plum tarts with brown butter & sea salt I

fridays are meant for brown butter!

59 Responses to “Black Plum Tarts with Brown Butter and Sea Salt.”

Alicia Greenrabbit — August 29, 2014 @ 7:16 am

And the Small Italian plums are in season! Yum!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — August 29, 2014 @ 7:23 am

I haven’t had ONE plum this year…what the what?
    I have also never had ONE plum with brow butter in my whole life. I don’t even know how I survived. These sound amazing!
    And that fudge pistachio tart? DO IT. Pinned!

Becky Winkler — August 29, 2014 @ 7:35 am

I am not tired of your tart posts. A chocolate pistachio tart sounds amazing!! I made a mocha pistachio ice cream recently that was so good…I don’t know where pistachios have been all my life because I never ate them until a couple months ago, and now I can’t stop. Why don’t they sell chocolate covered pistachios the way they sell chocolate covered almonds?? Off to give that a whirl…

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 29, 2014 @ 7:37 am

These are so so cute! I love how the plums are mushed in there… I seriously need to step up my plum game before they’re not in season any more!

Chelsea @ Gal on a Mission — August 29, 2014 @ 7:40 am

I’m with Taylor and haven’t had a plum this year. I just haven’t had a taste for one. I think making these would warrant me to have one. By the way, these tarts look awesome! Happy Friday!! :)

Amber Rhodes — August 29, 2014 @ 7:46 am

These tarts look amazing. I keep seeing recipes with puff pastry involved…why!? It must be fabulous. I’ve never made a dessert like this. I will have to give it a go!

Baby June — August 29, 2014 @ 7:53 am

Ahhh, those look amazing! So cute too! Love the addition of sea salt, that’s just perfect :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 29, 2014 @ 8:06 am

Yay tart bender!! These look awesome. Super simple and so yummy.

Morgan — August 29, 2014 @ 8:39 am

I went through a phase where I bought tons of puff pastry dough. And every night we would just stick new things in and on it and bake it. It wasn’t a very proud time for me. But I have no regrets. Most delicious week of my life.

Laura — August 29, 2014 @ 8:46 am

You’ve given us three tarts… entree, main and now dessert – hello, perfect combination…

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 29, 2014 @ 8:54 am

ANY DAY is meant for brown butter :) And I love it…tart bender. LOL Honestly I wouldn’t have noticed any sort of pattern at all if you never said it. And boring? You are hands down the most creative cook, day in and day out, in the blogosphere!

Kim in MD — August 29, 2014 @ 9:05 am

Your pregnancy has not made you boring, Jessica! This tart looks delicious. Bring on the tart recipes for Fall! Some thoughts….apple pear? Apple cranberry? Apple pear cranberry? Yes, please!

Ashley — August 29, 2014 @ 9:14 am

LOVING the brown butter + sea salt component to these!!!!!

Michelle V. — August 29, 2014 @ 9:43 am

These look amazing! And if you do make it, can you please post the chocolate fudge and pistachio tart?! It sounds so good!

jenna @ just j.faye — August 29, 2014 @ 9:51 am

I am loving your tart bender – they are all amazing! I have a puff pastry in my freezer and there are so many possible opportunities…

Meghan @ Cake 'n' Knife — August 29, 2014 @ 9:54 am

I love the sea salt in these!! What a fantastic idea!

Rachel @the dessert chronicles — August 29, 2014 @ 10:10 am

These are so cute and look insanely delicious! Plums are underrated in my opinion and I’m sure they are fantastic as part of a tart!

kelley @mountainmamacooks — August 29, 2014 @ 10:11 am

Bring the tarts on! I’m also loving plums right now and have oodles to use up. This is my kind of tart- I can get behind puff pastry!

Alex @ True Femme — August 29, 2014 @ 10:11 am

OMG. These look fantastic. I love plums and this looks like the perfect recipe!

Alyssa — August 29, 2014 @ 10:38 am

Omg please share a fudge and pistachio tart!! There are few flavor combinations I love more… but why, oh WHY are those damn puff pastry sheets so expensive?? Gah.

Amanda — August 29, 2014 @ 10:46 am

Your tarts are awesome, this one is amazing sounding!

Annie — August 29, 2014 @ 11:04 am

I make a very similar tart, only before I add the fruit, I put down a layer of mascarpone, goat cheese or almond paste and then brush the top of the fruit with apricot preserves. It is suuuuuuuper easy, and people love it. It is perfect to make when you get last-minute dinner guests.

Christine — August 29, 2014 @ 11:21 am

“1 egg + 1 teaspoon, beaten” .. one teaspoon OF WHAT?!?! I must know!!

• Jessica — August 29th, 2014 @ 11:24 am

haha omg, i’m so sorry, my recipes have been a mess lately. it’s 1 teaspoon water! just a simple egg wash. thank you, i fixed it!! :)

Ashley — August 29, 2014 @ 11:26 am

These look AMAZING! These will be happening at my house this weekend! My husband, at 32, tried his first plum last week and can not stop eating them. He lived such a sad food life before me!
    P.S. on the chocolate fudge pistachio tart… Yes, please!

Amy D — August 29, 2014 @ 11:29 am

Ooooh I would love to see the recipe for the chocolate pistachio tart!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — August 29, 2014 @ 11:35 am

I love puff pastry, too – and wouldn’t say not to this OR a chocolate and pistachio version :)

allison — August 29, 2014 @ 12:01 pm

chocolate + pistachio tart, oh yum. do it, doooo ittttt! (and share it…peer pressure is a-ok when it involves chocolate)

Sarah @ the gold lining girl — August 29, 2014 @ 12:04 pm

Oh, but a chocolate fudge and pistachio tart would be PERFECT! Doooo it.

I don’t know why I don’t gravitate towards plums more. I really should. I neglect that fruit and I’ll make a point not to. I feel like brown butter + plums would be a serious power team. This sounds really great. Thank you for sharing it!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — August 29, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

Oh yes please make a chocolate fudge and pistachio tart. Sounds amazing! And I love the tarts. Keep ’em coming!

stephanie — August 29, 2014 @ 12:44 pm

ohmygosh – i could totally eat puff pastry plain too!!! but this looks even better! ♡♡♡

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna — August 29, 2014 @ 12:49 pm

these look deeeeelicious. and i don’t even really like tarts. but i could go for some of these.

Michelle — August 29, 2014 @ 12:56 pm

Oh my! My husband makes a tart similar to this. It was his German mother’s recipe from Germany. The base is not puff pastry though, but her recipe instead. So good! I love the idea of using brown butter and sea salt! I am going to run it past him and see if he will try one or both of those next time.

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — August 29, 2014 @ 1:49 pm

Bring on the tarts! And bring on the brown butter! Those are two things I could never tire of. Especially the brown butter, the liberal use of it can’t be good for my health.

Amber D. — August 29, 2014 @ 1:49 pm

I am all about that chocolate pistachio tart life.

Marilyn — August 29, 2014 @ 2:06 pm

This would be great for high tea (: will try it this weekend

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — August 29, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

You never have to apologize for making too many tarts. Ever ;)

Annalise @ Completely Delicious — August 29, 2014 @ 2:38 pm

So simple! So perfect!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — August 29, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

I could go for a chocolate fudge & pistachio tart… ;)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — August 29, 2014 @ 10:54 pm

I love tarts and I love how simple this recipe is! So keep ’em coming!

Millie | Add A Little — August 30, 2014 @ 5:05 am

Yum! What a simple and delcious dessert!

Steve — August 30, 2014 @ 5:07 am

Wahhhh! I don’t have an oven and can’t make these…for now. I will be bookmarking them and trying them later though…with a dollop of goats cheese melted on top I think.

Rebecca — August 30, 2014 @ 10:14 am

These are just gorgeous, and look delicious. I love plums.
    I do have a question about browning butter. I’ve been intimidated to try it, although it’s everywhere and used in everything these days. My question is, can you brown butter using a dark saucepan? I don’t have any light shiny pans, so I’ve never even tried it out of worry that I wouldn’t be able to see the brown flecks forming. Is it doable?

Denise Terry — August 30, 2014 @ 3:45 pm

I don’t have plums, but I wonder if I could sub peaches? I’m so excited to get the cookbook…it should be here Tuesday!

Jessica @ Sweet Menu — September 1, 2014 @ 10:44 pm

Plum tart? Amazing, they look gorgeous!

Tracy | PeanutButter and Onion — August 11, 2015 @ 7:15 am

Made these for a BBQ… everyone loved them!!

1. Pingback: Weekend Things - The Corner Kitchen

2. Pingback: Lobster Bisque Pot Pies | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: What's dishing on the blogs: Summer favorites | Pittsburgh News

4. Pingback: Yummy Fall Desserts + Friday Link Love - The Sweetest Occasion — The Sweetest Occasion

5. Pingback: Lobster Pot Pies. | Support Paula Deen

6. Pingback: Salted Dessert Recipes That Walk The Fine Line Of Perfection | Miami News

7. Pingback: Salted Dessert Recipes That Walk The Fine Line Of Perfection | Atlanta News

8. Pingback: Salted Dessert Recipes That Walk The Fine Line Of Perfection | Los Angeles News

9. Pingback: Salted Dessert Recipes That Walk The Fine Line Of Perfection | San Francisco News

10. Pingback: Salted Dessert Recipes That Walk The Fine Line Of Perfection | Detroit news

11. Pingback: Salted Dessert Recipes That Walk The Fine Line Of Perfection | Buffalo News

12. Pingback: Smoked Cheddar and Cherry Jam Pastry Pop Tarts | How Sweet It Is