Parmesan Zucchini with Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs.
My mom used to make zucchini like this every summer when I was little. The best parmesan zucchini ever!
Well, minus the whole wheat part. She would rather swallow nails than eat anything “whole wheat.” Her motto is “white bread fo’ life!” It’s cool.
While I was making the zucchini, my house smelled like it did when I was younger. I remember eating this on hot summer nights. The kitchen windows would be open and we could hear the sounds of summer nights. The crickets, the buzzing – even seeing the fireflies outside. I loved sitting at the table when my mom was making parmesan zucchini.
If we ever order appetizers out, one of them tends to be fried zucchini. However, it is such a hit-or-miss snack. If it is too deep fried, it just tastes like grease. You know? How all the things that come out of the deep fryer taste like… deep fryer? Other times it can be soggy, lacking the crispness that makes it so delicious.
My mom would make it in a 100-year old cast iron skillet and it was totally perfect.
I used a light breading and just a tiny bit of olive oil to fry the zucchini. We wanted to keep it simple and fresh tasting.
It must have worked, because Mr. How Sweet ate them all.
I think I got one piece?
This is the way I like to eat vegetables. I would eat them like this every day if I could. Is there any better way?
- 2 medium zucchini squash, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup parmesan, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil
- marinara sauce for serving
- In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs, parmesan and italian seasoning. Heat skillet on medium-high heat, adding just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Dip zucchini in the egg, then in bread crumb mixture, and add to the pan, browning no each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, just until golden.
- Remove and lay on a paper towel. Sprinkle with additional parmesan while still warm. Serve with marinara!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Did anyone notice I’ve posted vegetables two days in a row? Clearly I’m not really on vacation. I’ve been abducted by aliens.
[photos by sarah fennel]
60 Comments on “Parmesan Zucchini with Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs.”
Pingback: Ruff Morning « Will Run 4 Dinner
Pingback: Crispy Zucchini Grilled Cheese with Dijon Horseradish Aioli | How Sweet It Is
Pingback: 75 must-try zucchini recipes | kojodesigns
is that a dipping sauce?
These look great. Can they be made in few hours before the planned dinner time ?
Looks delicious, I love when they are perfectly crispy.
Pingback: Zucchini Pie Recipe - Zucchini Pie with Burst Tomatoes
Pingback: Zucchini Bars - Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Icing