I hate to say it, but these little green stems are growing on me.

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus I howsweeteats.com

I mean, they’ve always been one of the vegetables that I can handle in small doses – mostly because by the time I’ve had enough (not even being able to look at them?), they’re out of season. At least around here. It’s a short ride baby.

But I unlocked the asparagus key this season. It’s no secret that the fingerful of veggies I DO like have to be roasted – and I mean ROASTED – for me to eat them. To the point of like, death. Charred to a crisp I tell you. And I’m fairly certain that I’ve roasted asparagus before, but maybe I just didn’t do it long enough? Or just didn’t cover it in enough sea salt? Or just didn’t shave my parmesan into big enough chunks? Hmmmm.

Oh wait. I know what I didn’t do. I didn’t allow it to be blanketed in a waterfall of gooey egg yolk. THAT’S THE SECRET. That’s why I ended up eating asparagus for breakfast. This asparagus – wrapped in bacon – for breakfast people. It has bacon, so… duh. It’s totally breakfast worthy.

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus I howsweeteats.com

This is a perfectly portioned Spring side dish, but FYI: eating it at 7AM with a poached egg on top is what the cool people do. I might have made it four times already. Kinda sorta maybe.

My asparagus alone? Plain little green sticks? They still have to be roasted to the high heavens. The stems get slightly golden and the flowery tips get crispy. They actually crunch in your mouth. I’m not saying I look forward to it… buuuuuut it’s gettin’ easier to choke down. Winnnnning.

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus I howsweeteats.com

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus

[adapted from green bean bacon bundles]

serves 4, is easily multiplied

1 bunch of asparagus, about 20-25 spears, stems removed

4 slices thick-cut bacon

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar

1 garlic clove, minced or pressed

1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, whisk together oils, brown sugar and garlic. Set aside.

Bunch together 5-6 asparagus spears and tightly wrap a piece of bacon around the bundle. Place on the wire rack seam-side down and repeat. Using a pastry brush, a spoon or even your hands (I did this…), brush the spears thoroughly with the oil/sugar mixture. Give each bundle a hefty sprinkle of sesame seeds. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until bacon is crispy. Serve warm.

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus I howsweeteats.com

I’ll take it.

157 Responses to “Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus.”

Bethany — April 3, 2012 @ 6:18 pm

Bacon wrapped. Does anything else need to be said to get me to make these?

Jillian @ NewlyBread — April 3, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

whoa. yum. I think anything wrapped in bacon & caramelized will “grow on you”. :)

Meki — April 3, 2012 @ 6:59 pm

You’re the next Iron Chef! I just saw the episode where they made one similar to this :) Can’t say no to bacon….

I’m gonna wrap all my food with bacon.

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — April 3, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

I’m pretty sure every vegetable is improved by bacon. And these could even pass as healthy!

Elaina @ Flavour — April 3, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

I love your blog, it always has me smiling! Great post, and absolutely love anything wrapped in bacon :) So good on ya for making this look so delicious. I love asparagus, so this is definitely happening here soooooon! Thx x

Heather — April 3, 2012 @ 11:06 pm

WOW! I’ve done green beans wrapped in bacon, but never asparagus – for breakfast – I’m in

Ruben — April 3, 2012 @ 11:45 pm

I hate asparagus but this looks so good, cant resist the taste of bacon hahas!

Shrazzi — April 4, 2012 @ 6:26 am

I just made this! But somehow yours looks much better… haha. :)

Jan Bertolini — April 4, 2012 @ 7:23 am

Really!!! The only thing you took away was the R8! WOOT!

Chris — April 4, 2012 @ 8:29 am

Perfect! I have leftover turkey bacon AND fresh asparagus. I love when I can make dinner with kitchen cabinet leftovers!

Gaby@GabHousewifeChronicles — April 4, 2012 @ 9:30 am

Look pretty yum! Definitely gonna try them!

Amy Powell — April 4, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

oh YUM… and actually on my diet :)

nicole — April 4, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

this looks absolutely delicious!!!!! and bacon! can’t wait to make these!

sando @ the daily deelight — April 4, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

Asparagus + bacon? WINNING combo in my book. I know you’re not a fan of veggies in general, and not a fan of asparagus but I’m sort of obsessed with the long, slender vegetable. And bacon. I mean, what else is there to say other than it obviously makes everything better. Great idea– definitely will be trying! Thanks :) and great photos…as always!

Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp — April 4, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

I just made and ate these…and, oh wow. Oh my, they are so, so tasty. You are the best!

Keith — April 4, 2012 @ 11:29 pm

My wife and I had these with dinner tonight. Yummy!

Danielle — April 5, 2012 @ 2:29 am

This looks so good! must try soon!

I have a silly question…..I keep hearing mention of using a rack on top of the baking sheet…what kind of rack do you use?? where can I get one?? I tried using a flimsy old cookie rack sheet I had but it just got ruined and did not work well at all , not high enough up off the sheet.

Thanks for the great recipes!

PattiR — April 6, 2012 @ 8:23 am

Perfection! Fast, easy and visually elegant … asparagus that is dressed to impress! Thanks for the recipe

eva — April 7, 2012 @ 9:43 am

leftovers were perfect with the poached egg for breakfast!! you won me over with the photo, thanks for the recipe!

Samantha — April 7, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

What perfect timing…my husband has been daydreaming of bacon wrapped asparagus for a few days now…I love the glaze.

Karen Sue — April 7, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

Made this last night for dinner guests – they are to dye for. Yummy, Yummy

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — April 7, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

if I tell you that I’ve never tried bacon would you disown me??? I’ve never really enjoyed the saltiness. But I’m taking part in janetha’s adventurous april so thinking this would be a perfect opportunity to try it out. Maybe with broccolini for a slightly different take

Christine Bilek — April 9, 2012 @ 10:08 am

I made these last night to go with our Easter dinner…they were FANTASTIC!! I wonder if you could do them on the grill?? Yum. Thank you!!

draper — April 9, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

i made these for easter dinner and they were a hit. perfect addition and nice change from our usual green bean/bacon bundles. i can’t wait to make them again!

Lisa Frank — April 10, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

I made this for our Easter menu and it was AMAZING!! Thank you! Can’t wait to try the green bean version, too.

Rachel M — April 12, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

I just wanted to let you know, that YOU are the reason that I now eat (and kinda enjoy) broccoli, asparagus, green beans and Brussels sprouts. Roasted, crispy and doused in olive oil, garlic or lemon juice or cheese or coconut. And now wrapped in bacon. They’re kindasortajustalittlebit delicious. Just added this to the dinner menu tonight ;)

Terri B — April 15, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

We made these for our Easter dinner as well and they were absolutely delicious and so pretty on the table! Thank you!!! Gonna try your other veggie recipes soon. :-)

Puna — April 20, 2012 @ 10:19 am

You site is so beautiful! I get awfully hungry when I come here:)

Beth dubeau — June 17, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

Delicious-will be a part of the asparagus repertoire at least for this year. A whole new taste.

Jenn — June 23, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

Omg! I am on weight watchers and this recipe is 1 point per bundle! I love it! I can have it as a side or even as a snack in the middle of the day!

Candid James — July 7, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

I was wondering if I could omit the sesame oil? I live in a rural comunity and cannot find it here

• annamarie — July 20th, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

yes! i did and they were delicious!! i used a tad bit of water(1/2 tsp or so) just so that it would spread easier

annamarie — July 20, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

I made these in the grill with steak and a baked potatoes!! i didnt have any sesame seed but i used a tad bit of water to make it easier to spread on the asparagus! so delicious!! we will have these forever from now on!!! thanks for the reciepe

Kimberly Humphreys — April 7, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

I made this with a little tweaking They turned out fantastic!! YUMMY!

Shari Eckstrom — September 13, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

The bacon and asparagus wraps look delicious. How can you go wrong with bacon. Well done!

FitMomPam — December 27, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

I made this for Christmas Day dinner and it was fabulous! everyone loved it thank you!

Sinead Fitzpatrick — January 4, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

Doing this for dinner tonight and was wondering do i brush the bacon with the oil/sugar mixture or just the asparagus? I know it says the stems but just double checking. Cheers

Stacy — January 11, 2014 @ 12:26 am

Does this work without the sugar? Would love to try this but I just cut out all sugars.

Le' — February 4, 2014 @ 1:53 pm

Since I am a bacon lover…….an asparagus lover and a lover of regular food prepared nicely…..I will be shopping for the ingredients after while and be cooking this dish. Thank you.

Lynn @ oh-soyummy — February 25, 2014 @ 3:08 pm

Made this last night and it was delicious! Since I have a lot of bacon and less asparagus, I used two stalks per bacon slice! =)

Donna — March 1, 2014 @ 11:41 pm

Made this today! I used the Applewood smoked bacon. This was DELISH!!! A definite keeper. Thx

Matt — March 20, 2014 @ 9:36 pm

Made this tonight, but substituted splenda brown sugar for the regular (on south beach diet). It certainly lived up to our expectations!

Erika D. — September 7, 2014 @ 9:15 pm

We made this tonight–it was ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!! This is now my favorite way to make asparagus.

Janet Bradley — December 11, 2014 @ 3:03 pm

Made these the other day, and I must say, they tasted wonderful. BUT, and its a BIG BUT………I highly recommend/suggest that you pre-cook the bacon to render out some of the fat/grease. I came very close…..I MEAN EVERY CLOSE to setting the oven on FIRE. Next time (that is if my husband lets me do it again..hahaha) I will pre-cook (not all the way), the bacon and lower the rack in the oven. I started off in the middle, then had to lower it down to another rack. That all aside, these were the BEST ASPARAGUS I have ever had

Heather — June 3, 2015 @ 10:47 pm

Thanks for the great post and recipe, Jessica! I made this and it was fantastic! I actually love asparagus, even just plain and steamed but roasting (and of course, bacon) bring out a different savoury flavour. I used maple syrup instead of brown sugar, which was worked well… maple, sesame and asparagus… I would never have thought it would have worked but it was so, so good. Also, this is really easy but looks super impressive, which is a big plus! since I like my friends and family to think I slaved!

1. Pingback: Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus | Flavorite

2. Pingback: 21 Ways to Eat Asparagus

3. Pingback: One Local Summer 2015 – Week 2 | Sheetar

4. Pingback: Guide to All Things Bacon

5. Pingback: All-Day Bacon Recipes Everyone Must Try | The Kitchen Couture Blog

6. Pingback: Everything Goes Better With Bacon: Celebrating International Bacon Day - Discover Monsanto

7. Pingback: Tastee Recipe Make Those Green Veggies Sing With This Recipe - Tastee Recipe

8. Pingback: Asparagus Bundles with Bacon & Poached Eggs