Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa + White Bean Burgers.
Can we talk about my burger obsession right now?
Really… that is the only word for it: an obsession. I am straight up infatuated with burgers at the moment – like real beef burgers. I can’t get enough. To the point where I feel the need to hit up Five Guys once a week. Want to know what else? I’ve sort of been scheduling my weekends around it too.
The only silver lining is that I really don’t care for their fries. In that case, I justify bacon on my burger. I mean, I’m eating JUST a burger. No fries. Bacon is welcomed with open arms.
So yeah. These aren’t beef burgers at all. I know. But they are still pretty delicious and the result of what came out of my pantry when I was beefless.
That sounds so… wrong and I love it.
Oh and there is still bacon, obviously. This was actually my first time topping a non-beef/poultry burger with bacon and it felt SO GOOD. Whyyyyyy haven’t I done that before? You don’t have to top yours with bacon but I’d then be forced to ask – how are we friends? It’s up to you.
The awesome thing is that these quinoa burgers are just as delicious off the bun as they are sandwiched in between. They are crispy on the outside and quite similar to my crispy quinoa sliders from last summer. I like to think that the recipe gets better and better each time I make it. Which is a lot. Sort of like how the movie Bridesmaids gets funnier and funnier each time I watch it? Which is at least three times a week because it’s constantly on TV.
Watching it now. Have no life. Can quote the entire movie. Will watch for food.
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 whole wheat bun, toasted
- for topping: bacon, extra roasted red peppers and mayo – or whatever you want!
- In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs, basil, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, add beans and mash coarsely with a fork. Stir in quinoa, garlic and roasted red peppers, mixing well to combine. Add in bread crumb mixture and egg, mixing well to moisten. Once combined, add in the flour and mix well. Form into four equally sized balls.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Press each quinoa ball into a large patty, being careful to press the sides together so they don’t fall apart while cooking. Add to skillet and cook until golden and crisp on each side, about five minutes. Serve immediately on toasted buns with your favorite toppings!
- Note: if you use red peppers jarred in oil or water, be sure to soak up most of the liquid with paper towels before and after chopping!
Just say yes to the bacon.