Honey Grilled Watermelon Caprese Salads.
I’ve become very brave this summer.
By grilling EVERYTHING.
I really mean everything.
Give it to me, I will grill it.
Like I even need to mention anything with tomatoes and mozzarella and basil ever again. My infatuation is over the top. And just in case you doubt it, I’ve made caprese baked pasta, caprese quinoa with homemade basil oil, roasted tomato caprese panzanella (my favorite!), caprese grilled cheese (!!!), fried green tomato caprese stacks, caprese shells with mini meatballs and red wine flank steak with caprese salsa. Soooo many exclamation points. I don’t think I will ever be caprese-d out. Especially since I only get to reap the benefits of the ingredients for about 90 days every summer. A little more, sometimes a little less.
All aboard the caprese train.
I’m even (sort of) over my fear of blowing up the house if I attempt to use the grill on my own. I’m not over the fear of blowing out my camera lens when I put it centimeters away from 600 degree grates. I’d rather buy a new pair of shoes. Not a new camera lens. That’s just real.
I freak out over this combination because it involves something sweet. A lot of times the watermelon version of caprese removes the tomatoes… but I say keep ’em. They are cute little juicy jewels that burst with flavor when covered with tons of salt. Plus, keeping them in there means you are eating more vegetables! Don’t even tell me they’re a fruit. No. Stop. Stop it. Don’t say it.
I might be weird (definitely) but I find a meal like this pretty satisfying for dinner. Of course, I usually have seconds or thirds, but I don’t really need anything else. Except for… maybe… some grilled corn. That’s what we ate on Monday night. Last night… I ate pancakes for dinner. Accidentally. But on purpose. I just didn’t want to make ANYTHING.
You know those nights? This works on a night like this. It takes mere minutes to prepare. Heck, you can even just make the watermelon and top it with some ice cream or something.
Wait. How did I get there? From a healthy meal to ice cream. Why? How does this happen to me.
Honey Grilled Watermelon Caprese Salads
- 2 large, round watermelon slices, each cut into 4 triangles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, quartered
- 4 ounces of fresh mozzarella, cut in half or sliced
- a bunch of fresh basil leaves
- balsamic glaze for drizzling
- Preheat your grill to medium heat. Brush both sides of each watermelon triangle with olive oil and season all sides with salt and pepper. Add a drizzle of honey over each triangle and place them on the grill, grilling each side for about 2 minutes. Remove and add a little more honey if desired.
- Assemble salads by placing 2 watermelon triangles on each plate, then cover with a sprinkle of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil leaves. Add some salt and pepper on top, then drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Eat that color!
152 Comments on “Honey Grilled Watermelon Caprese Salads.”
Pingback: Popular Pick: Sublime Summer Sipping | JH&S