Crockpot Brown Sugar + Roasted Garlic Pulled Pot Roast Sandwiches.
It’s Friday. Let’s do this thang.
This crockpot thang?
I don’t know. I’m ready for it.
This is a sort-of addition to my football food list, meaning I made these sandwiches over two weeks ago and intended to share them at the same time. But then, it was, like, 90 degrees. And these just seemed too warm. Too cozy and comforting and what not. Too everything involving sweaters and sweatpants and fleece.
I just needed to obsess over my corn and tomatoes a bit longer. To mourn their season finales. Give them one more good go before they hang up their hats.
You’d think food was a person or something.
But! Today it’s going to be in the 60s. Not sure I can even express my excitement. If I could live in an area where it was 60 degrees all year long, I’d be one happy soul.
This pulled pot roast is a bit more high maintenance that plain old crockpot meals where you set it, leave it and serve it. But all you really have to do is roast some garlic, mash it up well, and toss it in at the end. It’s definitely one of those things that gets even more flavorful as it sits, if that is even possible – this kind of made my tastebuds explode.
The sandwiches are rather juicy, so you might choose to serve them on a firmer bun. And yes, of course my brain is full of incessant giggles when typing something like that out because I’m like a twelve-year-old boy mentally. I mean… of course.
But it’s true. Use a kaiser roll or something if you’re not into soggy buns. I love the soft rolls that I chose but by the end of the sandwich, the bread was drenched.
Sort of love it though – it reminds me of my mom putting leftover Thanksgiving turkey on a piece of white bread and smothering it in gravy. She still does it after the holidays and, wow… total comfort on a plate.
You can also serve these with an array of cheeses or aiolis or vegetables or whatever toppings you would like. They aren’t exactly necessary since there is SO much freaking flavor right here, but it adds a little kick. Or some texture. You know, for all you freaks like me. Freak freak freak.
I’ll gladly be a freak if I can eat this all day.
Crockpot Brown Sugar + Roasted Garlic Pulled Pot Roast Sandwiches
- 4 pound beef pot roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 8 to 10 ounces beer
- 2 heads roasted garlic
- your favorite buns or rolls for serving!
- Sprinkle the pot roast evenly with the salt, pepper, paprika and onion powder and place the meat in the crockpot. Cover the top with the brown sugar, then add the beer to the crockpot and cover it. Cook on low for 8 hours. At some point during the 8 hours or before, roast the garlic. Squeeze out the cloves of garlic and mash them on a cutting board with a fork. Remove the lid of the crockpot and using kitchen tongs or forks, shred and pull apart the beef. At this time, I remove any large chunks of fat or gristle too.
- Once the beef is shredded (I tend to mix and shred for 5 full minutes to really incorporate the liquid), add in the mashed roasted garlic. Stir the beef well to evenly distribute the garlic and make sure it is incorporated into the beef. Cover the beef and cook it on low for another 30 minutes.
- You can freeze this and it also reheats well – just add a little liquid if needed.
Gah. I just want a big, fat bite.